New Rogue X irons

jjfcpa

Just got my Rogue X irons from Callaway.

I can't believe they showed up today. I just ordered on 6/2 and they show up on 6/6. The website said 5-7 days for shipment.

They were a custom order too. I'm a senior hence my custom order.

-1/2 length

1 degree flat

Recoil 760's in light

No, I didn't get fitted for these because I've been playing Callaway's for a couple years and I've had two, no make that three fittings, and I pretty much know what works for me.

Why Rogue X? I've been playing CF 16's and I'm really looking for some extra distance. I don't play the senior tees - I play one further back from the senior tees and feel comfortable there but just need another club to a club and half to be more competitive. I'm much more consistent with irons than hybrids and, hopefully, with the extra length I won't have to rely on my 3 and 4 hybrids as much.

I have 2nd thoughts about my purchase, but have watched some reviews on Youtube and all of them have been very positive. Just had a hunch that this might be just what I need.

I'll post some pics and give some impressions after giving them a try. I play my first round with them on Saturday ( 2 days from now ). Mr "hot and humid" came to town today so I'll try and get to the driving range early tomorrow to see how they feel before playing my first round with them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you’re looking for length, you’re going to love them. I hit them and thought they felt pretty nice for a SGI option. My only issue was with gapping at the bottom of the bag.

I was talking to a Callaway rep not too long ago and he said they’re selling like crazy. I’ve seen several sets among the older guys at my home course.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Unboxed them and all I can saw is wow. I really like the chrome finish compared to the dull CF 16's. Not to mention the way they feel. Light weight a a slightly heavier head than the Apex.

Only had a chance to hit them indoors but they felt super easy to hit. Every swing was a nice "smack" so I could tell I was zeroed in on the sweet spot. I can't wait to see how they fly and what kind of dispersion I get. I've never had a problem with dispersion with the Apex so I'm hoping I don't have problems with that and just gain the distance I'm looking for.

I still can't get over how Callaway got these to me in 6 days including shipping time and two weekend days. They must be working overtime! Kudos to Callaway.

I should have included some background information for those who might be interested in this type of club, which also explains why I was interested.

I'm 70 years old and just started playing golf less then 3 years ago. I took some lessons last year from Golftec and I feel like my swing is in pretty good shape. Drivers are generally straight in the 200 - 210 range. I've tried a lot of different clubs and always looking for something that gives me more distance or better dispersion. I settled on the apex CF 16 last year and felt that it suited my game really well, except for the distance that I was looking for. I also struggled with consistently good contact with the long irons ( 5 iron especially ).

I recently had some medical treatment that has prevented me from playing for the last 5 weeks. Started playing again with a different perspective - I wanted to get more distance and more consistency in the quality of the shot. I came to the conclusion that perhaps my swing just wasn't good enough for the CF 16's. When I hit them in the sweet spot, they perform as expected, but that wasn't happening often enough for me. I don't have the time to go to the driving range a lot to work on it and I can only play a couple of times a week. I still work full time - love my work - so in spite of the time I have for practice, I want to play as well as I can.

After doing some research on all the available GI irons, I felt that the Rogue X might be just what I needed. If they don't work out, I can always go back to the CF 16's because I'm holding on to them. By the way, I do practice chipping and putting quite a bit, it's the longer game that I don't get to spend a lot of time with.

If an iron set like the Rogue X can help with the long game, I'm all in. Time will tell.

First off, great work on getting started with golf and doing so well with lessons.

I'm not surprised you have trouble hitting the 5 iron at 24 degrees loft with your swing speed.

Have you tried a hybrid, say 24-25*, built with the same shaft as your irons and cut to match the length of your irons?

That could be a big help for your consistency with the hybrids.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Went to the driving range with the Rogue X irons last night. I was surprised how easy they were to hit. Felt really solid on impact and very natural.

Distance was about a club longer than the Apex and dispersion was very good. No noticeable break-in period because they just felt very comfortable in hand and during the swing.

I did have a couple of mishits with the 5 iron, which is always my troublesome iron, but I also had some solid contact with really good distance for me. I had read some where that the ball flight might be a little lower, but I did not notice that at all. Short irons performed as expected and comparable to the Apex. No excessive run out was observed.

Of course, I was using range balls, and I expect better performance from my Snell MTB's tomorrow on the course.

I really like the profile of these clubs and I just felt more confident pulling one from the bag.

I ended up going with the 5 - 9, P, AW, GW. I didn't try the AW or GW but the PW felt really good and dispersion with it was excellent.

I work at golf galaxy and the rogue x are selling like crazy! Seems like 9 out of 10 sets that we sell are rogue x. Getting a ton of good feedback about them. Enjoy your new set!

Straight off the rack or are people getting fit into them? Interesting choice of iron, just not seen lots of people here using them.

Geez, those lofts are ridiculous. They are calling a AW and a GW two different clubs?

Wow you're right about the lofts. Not surprised they're a club longer! PW is 41*!

Some combo of any or all:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

This is why golf is such a game of options. You can see something that you think is a brick on a stick and the next guy thinks it’s better than sliced bread.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

So I got rained out of my first round because of a raging thunderstorm. When the storm cleared, the only option was to go to the range again. I have to insist that the clubs feel very good in hand. I hear what you are saying about the lofts, but while the lofts might appear to be jacked, they don't play that way. What I mean, the short irons still check up very nicely on the greens. The long irons do tend to run out a little, but, to me, that's a good thing.

I am so impressed with these clubs that I'm not sure if I'll play the Apex's again. Just feel very comfortable and instill confidence no matter which one you pull from the bag. I used to dread pulling a long iron because I didn't feel confident hitting them. Not any more.

I work at golf galaxy and the rogue x are selling like crazy! Seems like 9 out of 10 sets that we sell are rogue x. Getting a ton of good feedback about them. Enjoy your new set!

Straight off the rack or are people getting fit into them? Interesting choice of iron, just not seen lots of people here using them.

It’s a bit of both. Different skill levels as well. I had a guy buy them just cause he could hit a 7 iron over 200 yards. It’s crazy but chicks dig the long ball.

First off, great work on getting started with golf and doing so well with lessons.

I'm not surprised you have trouble hitting the 5 iron at 24 degrees loft with your swing speed.

Have you tried a hybrid, say 24-25*, built with the same shaft as your irons and cut to match the length of your irons?

The 5-iron in the Rogue X is 21º.

In other words, a 3-iron at 4-iron length with a "5" stamped on the club. How does the target audience (someone with a slower swing speed who wants pure distance) even get the ball in the air?

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 10.5* with Tensei Blue 65S

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 19* with Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade RSI 2 6-PW-AW-SW with PX Flighted 6.0

Putter: TBD

Talk about apprehension. I just got back from a mini vacation and haven't touched a golf club for almost two weeks. A friend want to play 9 holes today and I did a few practice swings (at home) with the Rogue X and it just felt different. In fact, I thought I lost my swing for a while. I decided to take my Apex CF 16's to play 9 holes today instead of the Rogue X because my friend is kind of impatient (and a pretty good golfer) and I didn't want to hold things up by making bad shots while I adjusted to the Rogue X's.

Needless to say, I had a really good round with the Apex CF 16's. Almost makes me question my purchase of the Rogue X's in spite of the fact that a few of my irons were still short of the green, but thanks to my Mack Daddy 54 degree wedge I was landing everything close to the hole and managed 4 1-putts out of 9 holes.

Tomorrow I give the Rogue X's a chance to find their place in the bag. They have to deliver or I won't replace the Apex's.

In other words, a 3-iron at 4-iron length with a "5" stamped on the club. How does the target audience (someone with a slower swing speed who wants pure distance) even get the ball in the air?

Exactly. I know a few folks who have the M2's. The 5-iron is 21.5º and they have a lot of trouble getting it airborne. I think with sets like that the average golfer should start with a 6-iron, or maybe even a 7.

Exactly. I know a few folks who have the M2's. The 5-iron is 21.5º and they have a lot of trouble getting it airborne. I think with sets like that the average golfer should start with a 6-iron, or maybe even a 7.

Don't quote me on this but I think Tom Wishon said that 30 degrees should be the lowest iron loft for the average Joe.

Don't quote me on this but I think Tom Wishon said that 30 degrees should be the lowest iron loft for the average Joe.

I play CF16's and the longest iron in my bag is a 31* 7-iron so I pretty well match what is stated above.

I'm about to turn 64 and am very happy with my bag except for one thing. The irons IMO do not produce enough spin. Therefore, consistent yardages have been an issue, holding greens are not the best, and there are way too many unexpected flyers. Additional distance and forgiveness would be a bonus, but who wouldn't want that at my age.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

In my experience this is true, until you get into sgi clubs. I played a players cb set for years before I bought sgi's. I noticed that my 5 iron, which was 27* went as far as my 6 (31*) 90% of the time, every now and again I'd get 5 or 8 yards further. Not worth having in the bag. When I got sgi clubs it all changed, I could consistently hit a 24* iron 185 - 190. Also it made no difference at all in my pw (48*) - 7 (35) iron which clubs I have in my hands.

They want to sell those hybrids after people realize they are easier to hit

One of the rules of thumb was 24* 38” for the point beyond most golfers start to jade problens

I’ve dropped my 24* 4 iron (old set) for a 25* hybrid

5 iron loft in low 20’s is impressive

OP all the best on the Rogue X tryouts

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Talk about apprehension. I just got back from a mini vacation and haven't touched a golf club for almost two weeks. A friend want to play 9 holes today and I did a few practice swings (at home) with the Rogue X and it just felt different. In fact, I thought I lost my swing for a while. I decided to take my Apex CF 16's to play 9 holes today instead of the Rogue X because my friend is kind of impatient (and a pretty good golfer) and I didn't want to hold things up by making bad shots while I adjusted to the Rogue X's.

Needless to say, I had a really good round with the Apex CF 16's. Almost makes me question my purchase of the Rogue X's in spite of the fact that a few of my irons were still short of the green, but thanks to my Mack Daddy 54 degree wedge I was landing everything close to the hole and managed 4 1-putts out of 9 holes.

Tomorrow I give the Rogue X's a chance to find their place in the bag. They have to deliver or I won't replace the Apex's.

WELL ????

Increasing the club head size is one thing. It does not make sense to Jack the lofts for beginners and higher handicaps.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 wedges

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Q Star Tour ball