2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Arm lock putters (acculock)

provx

I have a kuchar arm lock, a # 7 and a # 1w arm lock from callaway. Looking at getting an acculock putter to compare against. any reviews on the acculock?

Are there any other manufacturers making an arm lock style?

This kuchar method is my beat way of putting but so far i haven't found many options on style of putter. An anser style like dechambeau would be nice.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

I bought an Acculock late last year so that I could try the arm lock method. I had seen their page on Instagram and had some great instructional videos on their YouTube channel.

When you first try arm locking, there is always an adjustment in finding the right setup to go with it. For me, the Acculock was easier to use because the shaft placement fit my eye better than the Bettinardi models. I played around five rounds with it before ultimately deciding to go back to standard. I found that it was amazing on putts inside 6 feet with an emphasis on 3 footers. However, I couldn't get the hang of distance putts with it.

I bought an Acculock late last year so that I could try the arm lock method. I had seen their page on Instagram and had some great instructional videos on their YouTube channel.

When you first try arm locking, there is always an adjustment in finding the right setup to go with it. For me, the Acculock was easier to use because the shaft placement fit my eye better than the Bettinardi models. I played around five rounds with it before ultimately deciding to go back to standard. I found that it was amazing on putts inside 6 feet with an emphasis on 3 footers. However, I couldn't get the hang of distance putts with it.

I have been armlocking for 2 years now, oddly enough the main reason I have stuck with it is because of the distance control on longer putts. I normally use the #7 style odyssey because the bettardini has too flat of a lie angle. according to the acculock site there putter is very upright which appeals to me.

I will probably pull the trigger on the acculock, just wondering if there are some other models out there I am not aware of.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

I had an Acculock for awhile and hated it. I just could not get comfortable with the 79 degree lie and this from a guy who broomsticked it (as the name suggests) for 20 something years. I had much greater success with the Kucher #1.

F9 9.5* at 8* Hazardous Red 13* F7 19* Callaway XR Hybrid 4-GW Mizuno HM Pros 55* Mizuno S5 60* Mizuno S5 STX Sync 3 45" Snell MTB Yellow

• 9 months later...

old thread but I just pulled the trigger on an Acculock putter to give it shot. Looking forward to getting a few rounds in with it.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Definitely give an update when you get a few rounds with it. As I was thinking about getting one as well. But instead I bought the arm lock grip off of amazon and put it on an older 43 inch putter it’s getting the job done for now.I wanted to get a Betti but they are too expensive for me to buy one at the moment.

Definitely give an update when you get a few rounds with it. As I was thinking about getting one as well. But instead I bought the arm lock grip off of amazon and put it on an older 43 inch putter it’s getting the job done for now.I wanted to get a Betti but they are too expensive for me to buy one at the moment.

Ok. I have only played 9 holes with it so far so I will play a few rounds and then give you some feedback. I have putted traditional, face on / side saddle, Seemore / Obrien method, etc, so I have been around the world in the last 5 years, lol.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 1 month later...

old thread but I just pulled the trigger on an Acculock putter to give it shot. Looking forward to getting a few rounds in with it.

An update on your experience would be greatly appreciated. I developed a flippy right hand and have really struggled this year. I have tried different grips but struggle with distance control. Tried different methods and putt well on the practice green, but not in a round of golf. No matter what I do the right flips at impact. Not sure if I am reacting to a lack of speed in the stroke and try and help the ball to the hole. My concern is this putter would be so heavy that I might try and do the same thing.

An update on your experience would be greatly appreciated. I developed a flippy right hand and have really struggled this year. I have tried different grips but struggle with distance control. Tried different methods and putt well on the practice green, but not in a round of golf. No matter what I do the right flips at impact. Not sure if I am reacting to a lack of speed in the stroke and try and help the ball to the hole. My concern is this putter would be so heavy that I might try and do the same thing.

I noted that Sandy Lyle was using an Acculock at the British Open. So it has at least some tour usage. Even if it is by a senior player. I will say the announcers were making some funny remarks about it though. Obviously they had never seen one before.

It is still in the bag! I am sold on it staying in the bag for quite some time. It may be the honeymoon, but I am very confident with it inside 10' and my lag putting has been very good. It took quite a few practice sessions to get the lag putting down. The head is aluminum (I think), so the ball sounds / feels a little different coming off of it but after practicing with a few times, my lag putting has been very strong.

A few things I like about it is the alignment process:

1. the hole in the bottom of the club to assist in getting the putter flat on the ground. Once you have that factor out of the way I feel like my next steps build toward a good put, vs having that variable hanging out there.

2. my right foot aligns a few inches from the head of the putter

3. before brining in my left foot, I align the putter on line for the putt

4. I then bring in my left arm and left foot to set it to the putter

5. once I'm there, a little forward press to make sure the putter shaft is in full contact with the my left arm, verify alignment, and pull the trigger.

Getting the ball started on the right line has been an improvement for me. Other than a scramble, I have only been able to get a round of 18 and 3 9 hole rounds in thus far so I do not have a lot of data yet. On those rounds, I am averaging 1.8 putts per hole so nothing special, but only 1 3 putt. More importantly I have had 6 birdies which is good for me. IMO I have been more consistent on putts inside 10'. Putting "standard" i would have good days, but I always had rounds where I would miss some short putts withe little break under 4' because of my stroke breaking down with a push or pull. Those are the putts I am trying to alleviate and if I can, I think I can bring down my putting average. (a good chipping game never hurts either!)

I'll post more as I get more rounds in this fall, but it is not leaving my bag any time soon the way I have been rolling the ball.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

Glad to read it is still in the bag and remains helpful to you! I will be interested in your progress.

Not sure what pushed you towards the putter besides the many methods you have tried. For me, my right hand flips at the bottom. I have had a highly regarded putting instructor who helps me online that suspects it is a left hand stall and the right tries to supply more force to get the ball to the hole. The trouble is, it doesn't happen in practice, and when I visited him in person a year ago the ball rolled pretty well.

I have tried LHL; index fingers pointing down the shaft; the claw with a Golf Pride Sensor grip; and long strokes with a heel-shafted blade. Except LHL, they all do well in practice. I have even tried putting RHL while putting left-handed which works well. That said, on the practice green when I turn around and putt right handed I am much better due to years of experience.

Right now, I am reconsidering the claw with an Odyssey Big T or a blade I used for 8 years until the flips started. My other considerations are the Directed Force putter and the Acculock putter. After a few rough rounds I am open to suggestion.

Good luck in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Played 18 today and shot 72! 5 birdies, and I brushed the edge on two others birdie putts and missed two other putts a roll of the ball short but dead in the middle. total of 29 putts with 14 gir.

I putted using a line on the ball today, I go back and forth on that process.

I am definitely gaining some confidence with the putter as my lag putting has very good as well.

I heard Hank Haney on the radio this week talking about Webb Simpson’s, Dechambeau and Kuchars success with their arm bar putting. It sounds like the change over to the style has resurrected Simpson’s career. He commented that everyone should be asking Simpson about his change and method since it has been such a drastic improvement for him.

Hopefully this isn’t just a honeymoon.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 1 month later...

I noted that Sandy Lyle was using an Acculock at the British Open. So it has at least some tour usage. Even if it is by a senior player. I will say the announcers were making some funny remarks about it though. Obviously they had never seen one before.

Is he still using it? I'll see him at the ally tournament Sunday.