Seller has vanished - how to proceed?

jtoussaint

I purchased a set of irons from a long time member here last Thursday. We agreed to a price, he provided his PayPal address, I sent the money. After no communication for three days, I messaged him asking what the status was. No reply. I have messaged twice more over the last two days asking for an update. No reply. He has been on the site each day and locked the listing.

How long is appropriate to wait before taking action? What action should I take? I understand life gets hectic and he has dozens of positive feedback scores, but ignoring multiple requests for some information smells bad.

Thank you for your perspectives.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is starting to be repetitive here lately. There is absolutely no excuse a seller can’t take 30 seconds to respond to a buyer especially when the seller is active on the site on a daily basis. We all know how long it takes to respond to a simple pm. To me 3 days with no response at all is plenty of time I’d invite the seller to this thread

I did not send PayPal as friends and family. I like to give benefit of the doubt but I am not that trusting/stupid.

Thank you all for your perspectives. I will message the seller one more time and then invite him to this thread if it is ignored again.

I bought three items that night and the other two have arrived with perfect wrapping, free golf balls, and proactive follow up to make sure all turned out ok. It’s a great community overall...

I'm amazed with your lurking abilities over the last (13) years.

(5) posts in (13) years.

(3) out of those (5) posts in this thread...is...well...impressive.

None of which minimizes his concerns.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It's probably a situation like the other one here recently where the seller had some emergency life stuff happen.

I'd give the seller another few days before considering a PayPal dispute.

But it depends how long you want to wait for the irons. It's not ideal, but this happens sometimes when you're dealing with individual sellers and not a company.

Given his feedback and the fact that you paid G&S, I would bet there is no scam going on here.

It's probably a situation like the other one here recently where the seller had some emergency life stuff happen.

But it depends how long you want to wait for the irons. It's not ideal, but this happens sometimes when you're dealing with individual sellers and not a company.

Given his feedback and the fact that you paid G&S, I would bet there is no scam going on here.

Yeah but if he's logged in, the emergency isn't that bad.

If you've given the Seller 3 business days to ship already, send him one last message saying he's got about 12 hours to produce tracking or you'll be opening up a case with PayPal (if you aren't willing to continue to wait). It's simple.

It's very reasonable as a Buyer to expect some kind of communication from your Seller if there is a delay. Hey, sometimes life happens and maybe he had to go on a last minute business trip and won't be shipping for a week. Okay, if you're not in a rush then maybe you can wait, but common courtesy dictates that the Seller let you know this. It takes 10 seconds to go on your phone/computer to type the message.

If you've given the Seller 3 business days to ship already, send him one last message saying he's got about 12 hours to produce tracking or you'll be opening up a case with PayPal (if you aren't willing to continue to wait). It's simple.

It's very reasonable as a Buyer to expect some kind of communication from your Seller if there is a delay. Hey, sometimes life happens and maybe he had to go on a last minute business trip and won't be shipping for a week. Okay, if you're not in a rush then maybe you can wait, but common courtesy dictates that the Seller let you know this. It takes 10 seconds to go on your phone/computer to type the message.

Its actually been 6 days since OP says he paid and he has still not received any communication despite seller being logged in at various times.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Its actually been 6 days since OP says he paid and he has still not received any communication despite seller being logged in at various times.

Has the seller actually read the messages? The OP doesn't say.

I'm not saying the seller isn't in the wrong, but given his feedback and longtime membership to the site, I'd just give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to hear his side of the story.

But, of course, it's perfectly within the buyer's rights to file a dispute if he chose to.

Personally I'd give it a full 10 days in this case before doing that.

Has the seller actually read the messages? The OP doesn't say.

I'm not saying the seller isn't in the wrong, but given his feedback and longtime membership to the site, I'd just give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to hear his side of the story.

But, of course, it's perfectly within the buyer's rights to file a dispute if he chose to.

Personally I'd give it a full 10 days in this case before doing that.

It's pretty black and white I think - It's been well beyond the reasonable time limit for one to expect shipment of a product from BST. Seller hasn't provided proof of shipment and it's reasonable IMO for the Buyer - if he was in a hurry - to file claim with Paypal. Otherwise if he has no time constraint, can continue to wait for all eternity if he wanted to.

If it was a simple mishap... Maybe Seller is logging on to send Buyer a message regarding delays but his internet or phone is all wacky; Once that's worked out they could resume another deal. I personally wouldn't wait around 6+ days with no communication or tracking just because a person has good feedback.

Do you have informed delivery with Usps ? If so check and see if you have any incoming packages in the next few days.. you can do the same with ups... I was able to verify a seller indeed had not shipped when he said he had lost tracking ( not a WRX deal ).

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

There’s no good excuse to not communicate after a sale, especially if you have time to log in and check out WITB’s and stuff. OP, if you haven’t heard anything by 10 days, file a claim. It’s amazing how often a thread here or a PayPal claim can get a seller to overcome whatever lame excuse they’re serving up and finally find time to make contact with a buyer.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Just put up that thread so we can add another name to our BLOCK list. I would not want to deal with this seller, thats just piss poor

never mind, just found the OP's BST thread by looking him up. Seller has lots of feedback as well :(

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'm amazed with your lurking abilities over the last (13) years.

(5) posts in (13) years.

(3) out of those (5) posts in this thread...is...well...impressive.

im amazed at the uselessness of your post...

OP, some def red flags, but since you didnt pay via f&f you have an option to recoup your money. solely based on the seller's feedback numbers and rating, maybe give the person a few more days before filing a dispute.

I wish there was a way that PayPal could implement a system where you must enter the tracking number and paypal will release half the funds and once the buyer receives the item and confirms it, the other half is released. Or something along those lines where the money doesnt get to the seller until the buyer has what they ordered. it would be a complicated process, but would be beneficial I think.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Just because someone is logged in doesn't mean they are "active." Seller golfboy123's last active post was 6/8.

I pretty much leave myself logged in 24/7.

File a claim and get your money back. And leave negative feedback.

^^this^^

^^this again^^

Both my iPads and laptop are always logged on. Even if I don’t have any of them with me.

Given a good history I tend to agree something serious probably did come up (like the earlier thread where the Mrs went into early labor). Still frustrating no doubt though for the OP.

This is starting to be repetitive here lately. There is absolutely no excuse a seller can’t take 30 seconds to respond to a buyer especially when the seller is active on the site on a daily basis. We all know how long it takes to respond to a simple pm. To me 3 days with no response at all is plenty of time I’d invite the seller to this thread

I agree. The "I've been busy", line is just BS. As you say, it only takes a few seconds to respond.