2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

got fitted, but........

The longest iron (7i) i got fitted for tends to miss right of target about 10-15 yards. The rest of the other clubs are fine, they allow me to hit in the direction I'm aiming for, and they are long. Crisp contact, and it's hot off the face. Not with the 7i, it's a hit or miss.

i got fitted last week (1* up) and hit less than 200 balls with this 7 iron. I've also hit the other new irons I got fitted for and they all are perfect. Though I still need to get used to them - distance has increased and need to dial them in.

Anyway, should I bring it to the attention of the fitter, or just wait a couple of weeks before having the lie checked. Though, it could be me and not the tool.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should cost you nothing to have the lie checked so i'd go do that right away. If everything else is consistent then the simplest explanation is some specification. You should also have the swing weight checked while you're at it to make sure it isn't for some reason heavier.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

That's probably where your problem is. A lot of manufacturers bend the clubs to the specs you're asking for, but you may find a club or two could be off. I ordered my irons and wedges all standard and had my fitter/builder check the lies to ensure standard then flatten them a degree. Two of the clubs were off from the spec sheet. He got them to standard and then flattened the additional degree. This is pretty common from what he was saying to me. Hence why he ships the clubs directly to his store rather than to your door.

TL;DR: Bring the 7i back to your fitter and have him check the lie against the spec sheet. Have him confirm you're one degree up from the sheet after he confirms what the club is sitting at.

That's probably where your problem is. A lot of manufacturers bend the clubs to the specs you're asking for, but you may find a club or two could be off. I ordered my irons and wedges all standard and had my fitter/builder check the lies to ensure standard then flatten them a degree. Two of the clubs were off from the spec sheet. He got them to standard and then flattened the additional degree. This is pretty common from what he was saying to me. Hence why he ships the clubs directly to his store rather than to your door.

TL;DR: Bring the 7i back to your fitter and have him check the lie against the spec sheet. Have him confirm you're one degree up from the sheet after he confirms what the club is sitting at.

Agree. Except I'd bring all the clubs in to be checked for loft, lie, and swing weight. Even if the fitter charged a nominal fee for that extensive a check.

Club were shipped to the shop. When I got there, I asked if he can check the static lie angle and he said no need they are good, "came from the manu." Because of what he said, it was kind of a turn off. Just do what the customer wants right away. It could of been correct, but just do what the customer ask if it's something simple as that. I don't want to go back have them to check/adjust the club if it needs to be, I to will pay the few bucks or have a friend check the lie angle. .

Anyway, I"m not coming back to drop another $$$ big cash for new driver. I'll go to another club fitter.

that what my fitter does at well. Orders everything standard then does the work. He also swing weighted everything. Wasn't a cheap process but they did great work.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Club were shipped to the shop. When I got there, I asked if he can check the static lie angle and he said no need they are good, "came from the manu." Because of what he said, it was kind of a turn off. Just do what the customer wants right away. It could of been correct, but just do what the customer ask if it's something simple as that. I don't want to go back have them to check/adjust the club if it needs to be, I to will pay the few bucks or have a friend check the lie angle. .

Anyway, I"m not coming back to drop another $$$ big cash for new driver. I'll go to another club fitter.

agreed, he should have been checked it with no issues.....hope you find a new one soon!

I'm not clear on why you think that club's lie angle is off spec. Missing "every" shot by "10-15 yards" is almost certainly not caused by a one degree or even a two or three degree out-of-spec lie on a 7-iron.

Also, to make sure I understand, you got something like a 7, 8, 9, PW set of irons and you (presumably) use hybrids for everything longer than 7-iron? Was that your former bag setup as well?

It strikes me that you're failing to square the face and/or having path or contact problems on the longest of your irons but not on the shorter ones. Sounds to me one likely possibility is a swing flaw caused by the longest of those clubs, not a slight lie-angle misfit.

I'm not clear on why you think that club's lie angle is off spec. Missing "every" shot by "10-15 yards" is almost certainly not caused by a one degree or even a two or three degree out-of-spec lie on a 7-iron.

Also, to make sure I understand, you got something like a 7, 8, 9, PW set of irons and you (presumably) use hybrids for everything longer than 7-iron? Was that your former bag setup as well?

It strikes me that you're failing to square the face and/or having path or contact problems on the longest of your irons but not on the shorter ones. Sounds to me one likely possibility is a swing flaw caused by the longest of those clubs, not a slight lie-angle misfit.

Agreed. There is no way its a lie angle issue.

When you drop your right shoulder in an attempt to scoop the ball into the air the face opens. Do it in the air - the right shoulder falling opens the face. A scoop move usually results in a block. Since its your lowest lofted iron, its likely you don't trust it to get in the air if you hit it square. Try hitting it with the swing thought of keeping your right shoulder high - don't let it drop in an effort to help the ball up. Your R shoulder shouldn't fall below where it is at address in any point in the swing.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Unless they are coming from Mizuno, have the loft/lie checked for sure. Mizuno is absolutely legit when placing an order for loft/lie/swingweight etc. You get what you pay for with them, and typically their orders take longer to fulfill.

If it is just the 7 iron, it should be an easy fix. Also make sure the shaft length and grip are consistent with the rest. Sometimes the grip being off even just slightly can cause inproper hand placement causing a grip that could be too strong or too weak or cause you to open or close the clubface. Just something to think about

*T*

Unless they are coming from Mizuno, have the loft/lie checked for sure. Mizuno is absolutely legit when placing an order for loft/lie/swingweight etc. You get what you pay for with them, and typically their orders take longer to fulfill.

If it is just the 7 iron, it should be an easy fix. Also make sure the shaft length and grip are consistent with the rest. Sometimes the grip being off even just slightly can cause inproper hand placement causing a grip that could be too strong or too weak or cause you to open or close the clubface. Just something to think about

I disagree on Mizuno taking longer. I went to my fitter last Wednesday around 3 pm ... clubs were in my hand from Mizuno Monday in the am... very fast

I'm pretty sure it's a swing flaw like I've mentioned earlier, but my old TM 7 iron is just fine. I assumed it may be the lie angle because my old iron were fitted with 2* up 1* up and standard depending if it was a 3 irons, mid iron, and wedge. That's how I was fitted a decade ago, with each club. I also have a 7i XR in the garage which I'm okay with, and a tour striker 7 iron which I want to use at the course. Great training aid and iron.

My right miss lands on the same dry spot of grass/dirt right of the 150 mark. I'll change target and I'll miss right of that again. I've used the 8i or the 6 hybrid after missing the the 7 iron. Very different result. Thus, the reason I'm a bit perplexed. Again, it's probably a swing fault.

I went to the range today during my lunch break and the miss was 5 yards right. I'm not r/o a swing flaw with that one club. I had h/o one iron issue in the past. I couldn't hit my 5 iron, but I was good with 2, 3, and 4 irons.

I currently have hybrids 4,5,6 that were fitted and these clubs I have confidence with since they are so easy to hit.

With the shop. I didn't know they sent my specs to the manu to have them do the build. I assumed they did it there cause of the large shop with a Mitchell and other tools. But it's a mistake learned. It was an expensive lesson lol. But there is a good club fitter who I should of went to on the first place, but I gave this franchise a chance.

I'm pretty sure it's a swing flaw like I've mentioned earlier, but my old TM 7 iron is just fine. I assumed it may be the lie angle because my old iron were fitted with 2* up 1* up and standard depending if it was a 3 irons, mid iron, and wedge. That's how I was fitted a decade ago, with each club. I also have a 7i XR in the garage which I'm okay with, and a tour striker 7 iron which I want to use at the course. Great training aid and iron.

My right miss lands on the same dry spot of grass/dirt right of the 150 mark. I'll change target and I'll miss right of that again. I've used the 8i or the 6 hybrid after missing the the 7 iron. Very different result. Thus, the reason I'm a bit perplexed. Again, it's probably a swing fault.

I went to the range today during my lunch break and the miss was 5 yards right. I'm not r/o a swing flaw with that one club. I had h/o one iron issue in the past. I couldn't hit my 5 iron, but I was good with 2, 3, and 4 irons.

I currently have hybrids 4,5,6 that were fitted and these clubs I have confidence with since they are so easy to hit.

With the shop. I didn't know they sent my specs to the manu to have them do the build. I assumed they did it there cause of the large shop with a Mitchell and other tools. But it's a mistake learned. It was an expensive lesson lol. But there is a good club fitter who I should of went to on the first place, but I gave this franchise a chance.

Also check your alignment. The two most important things in a golf swing are ball position and alignment. If your hips or shoulders are open so is the face. A lot of players look up at the target by opening their body, which opens their alignment, which results in right misses. Next time you set up make sure you are aligned parallel to your target and then look at it like you are pouring sand out of your right ear (just swivel your head) don't open up to look. Remember, you are "square" at address - you are just returning there. If you are open the face won't close (assuming its pointing at your target at address). The face is pointed right. If your body is pointing left and the face is pointed at the target the face is, by definition, pointing right of your body line. When you come to impact with a square body your face is open (by however much it had to be to be pointed at the target when you were open at address).

In my experience, club builds really matter for distance and contact but not at all for face and path. Missing right usually isn't a fitting issue. Please note "usually". Without a video of your swing its impossible to know. But two things cause a block - one is a scoop move that still hits the ball (weak push) and the other is hips or shoulders aimed left at address where the golfer then squares them at impact (which means the face is right).

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Also check your alignment. The two most important things in a golf swing are ball position and alignment. If your hips or shoulders are open so is the face. A lot of players look up at the target by opening their body, which opens their alignment, which results in right misses. Next time you set up make sure you are aligned parallel to your target and then look at it like you are pouring sand out of your right ear (just swivel your head) don't open up to look. Remember, you are "square" at address - you are just returning there. If you are open the face won't close (assuming its pointing at your target at address). The face is pointed right. If your body is pointing left and the face is pointed at the target the face is, by definition, pointing right of your body line. When you come to impact with a square body your face is open (by however much it had to be to be pointed at the target when you were open at address).

In my experience, club builds really matter for distance and contact but not at all for face and path. Missing right usually isn't a fitting issue. Please note "usually". Without a video of your swing its impossible to know. But two things cause a block - one is a scoop move that still hits the ball (weak push) and the other is hips or shoulders aimed left at address where the golfer then squares them at impact (which means the face is right).

Thanks for the reply. I do have problems lining myself for a shot between 150 and 200, often in these distances.

I don't have a current video with my new Callaway irons and post lessons with a pro. But I do have two older videos from earlier this year - it's been half a year since my return to golf after almost a decade away and 40 lbs. heavier. lol Both videos are with my R7 7 iron.

Thanks for the reply. I do have problems lining myself for a shot between 150 and 200, often in these distances.

I don't have a current video with my new Callaway irons and post lessons with a pro. But I do have two older videos from earlier this year - it's been half a year since my return to golf after almost a decade away and 40 lbs. heavier. lol Both videos are with my R7 7 iron.

Your swing is pretty good. On plane.

I've attached four images that show where a block is coming from. At the top of the backswing, look at your right arm and Scott's right arm. He has way more leverage than you (its at a right angle). Yours is tucked into your body. This creates zero power, whereas Adam's elbow position allows him to explode down into the ball. The only way you can generate power is by twisting.

We see your twist in the second photo, just after impact. Note the right ankle. Adam's is rolling forward - his left side is pulling away from the target line *but his right side isn't going toward the ball* its going forward. Your left side is clearing, but your right side is going closer to the ball - hence your right ankle coming off the ground straight up, not rolling toward the target - because you are stuck at the top, the only way for you to generate power is to spin, which opens the face. Sometimes you can time it, sometimes you can't.

Think about slamming a screen door. You slam a door alongside the door by bending your elbow and ripping with your left side - you would never slam a door by keeping your elbow tucked into your side and spinning your body around.

Get that right elbow up in the backswing and concentrate on no part of your body getting closer to the ball than it is at address. The left side pulls, the elbows explode, the right side goes forward. Only after impact does the right side start to twist to get to a front-facing finish position. A right ankle off the ground pointed at the ball that soon after impact means you are spinning through the ball you're not hitting it. The result is side-swipe and not compression.

Imagine pounding in a railroad spike with the head of the club. You'd get leverage with your arms and pull with your left side. You'd never tuck your right elbow and try to generate power by spinning your body in a circle if you were trying to hammer in a railroad spike, or chop wood.

This is just IMO. But hitting with a tucked elbow and a spinning right side creates blocks OR if you try to save it, horrible pull hooks.

The video:

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S