Wisconsin Classic Woods & Blades 2018

Well, it looks like at least two of us will be meeting this Saturday morning for an 8:00 start at Beaver Dam Country Club.

For a 2018 "official" outing, I was thinking of scheduling it for this fall. The only other event I have scheduled is for mid September. Other than that my schedule is wide open.

So if you are interested, let me know here what your availability / interest level is.

As far as location, last year we held it at Old Hickory in Beaver Dam. I would like to find a course of similar age (1920's) somewhere near Lake Geneva, which would make it a little easier on the Illinois folks. Maybe some Michigan players would make the trip? Iowa? Minnesota? Continental US?

Also, last year we had about 8 players. It would be great if we could double that number this year. There has already been an offer of "great giveaways", and I am sure that there will be plenty of clubs to swap / trade / barter for. We had some great gifts given to us last year too. Baloo won a trophy for best round, as did HAB for "most clubs fit into a car by a human being ever". In all seriousness, the collection he arrived with was most impressive, and it was at this event that I obtained the Louisville Smart persimmon driver that is now my favorite.

So think about attending. If you are planning a trip to Wisconsin from anywhere, let us know and we'll try to work around your schedule. If possible, I'd like to pick a date by the end of July.

That's all for now!

My first attempt at a logo. Stock image. I added the text.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it looks like at least two of us will be meeting this Saturday morning for an 8:00 start at Beaver Dam Country Club.

For a 2018 "official" outing, I was thinking of scheduling it for this fall. The only other event I have scheduled is for mid September. Other than that my schedule is wide open.

So if you are interested, let me know here what your availability / interest level is.

As far as location, last year we held it at Old Hickory in Beaver Dam. I would like to find a course of similar age (1920's) somewhere near Lake Geneva, which would make it a little easier on the Illinois folks. Maybe some Michigan players would make the trip? Iowa? Minnesota? Continental US?

Also, last year we had about 8 players. It would be great if we could double that number this year. There has already been an offer of "great giveaways", and I am sure that there will be plenty of clubs to swap / trade / barter for. We had some great gifts given to us last year too. Baloo won a trophy for best round, as did HAB for "most clubs fit into a car by a human being ever". In all seriousness, the collection he arrived with was most impressive, and it was at this event that I obtained the Louisville Smart persimmon driver that is now my favorite.

So think about attending. If you are planning a trip to Wisconsin from anywhere, let us know and we'll try to work around your schedule. If possible, I'd like to pick a date by the end of July.

That's all for now!

Count me in as long as it's not Sept 7-9. Also plan on my neighbor playing as well.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

If y’all don’t mind me meandering up your way I think my tired ole bones would be interested in seeing your neck of the woods. I’m sure I’ll be hankering to get out of this ‘foresaken southern heat and humidity by that time. My schedule is pretty much what I say it is these days, if I have enough advance notice.

BTW, where is Wisconsin? I don’t get north of the Mason/Dixon line much these days.

If y’all don’t mind me meandering up your way I think my tired ole bones would be interested in seeing your neck of the woods. I’m sure I’ll be hankering to get out of this ‘foresaken southern heat and humidity by that time. My schedule is pretty much what I say it is these days, if I have enough advance notice.

BTW, where is Wisconsin? I don’t get north of the Mason/Dixon line much these days.

Randy,

You, STU and Augie were supposed come up here for a week of golfing NIRVAVA in northern IL/southern WI this summer, remember?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I'll comment because I want to follow this and depending on if the date works out....who knows?

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I'll comment because I want to follow this and depending on if the date works out....who knows?

I'll do same. It's a bit far out for me to know if I can make it, but it sounds like it could be fun.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You Guys are Driving Me Nuts!

Ok, perhaps it's more of a short putt.

Regardless I dearly wish I could join you but know it's not going to happen.

I'm extremely jealous but do wish you all the best and hope you have a great outing together!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Hi! Any skill level is fine. Generally, "classic woods" means woods that are made of actual wood. Before the graphite era. Blades means forged irons, again, before graphite. There are no rules, but to be in the spirit of the gathering your clubs should be at least earlier than the 1990's.

This is a fun event, so we just get together to meet, enjoy fellowship, play golf, admire, swap, & trade gear, and maybe even let someone else hit your clubs for a shot or two. Last year, IIRC, Scott and I swapped clubs for the last two or three holes. That was fun!

Then we share a meal together, for those that can stay, at a local burger joint. I think this year the club swap will be after we play.

So there is no competition really, just a gathering of like minded people interested in playing 18 holes with vintage clubs.

If you need some guidance, just post what you got here and someone will chime in. :-)

If you can make it, you are welcomed to attend.

Regarding classic clubs to play:

I will be bringing along an extra set for someone to use if you do not have a set of clubs to play with that day. I am sure that with all of the clubs that were there last time, if this years gathering is equal to that, we could probably put together 10 sets. But if you are planning to attend, and can put together an extra set with bag to loan out on that day, please do so and let me know so I can get a count of extra "play sets". So we now have one extra set.

To borrow, all you need do is show up and provide your own golf balls, tees, etc.

Other sources: Ask around. Let friends and family know that you are interested in playing with vintage golf equipment. You would be surprised to see what is lurking in your parents or grandparents basement, garage, shed, barn, or storage unit. Most times you will get them for free. Last week I got two hickory putters just for bringing the subject up in conversation. So you never know.

You also do not need "collectable" clubs to play in a fun event. You can probably gather enough intel here to get a good idea of what you should be looking for. Wilson was a big name in the 1970's, as was MacGregor, Hogan, & Spalding. Yes there were others.

If you hit a regular flex shaft in your normal set, then it's probably best to stick with that in a vintage set. All you really need is a fairway wood or two, a long, mid, and short iron, a wedge and a putter. That will get you around most courses. Play the forward tees and you will have even more fun.

Start looking around for clubs with decent grips, and if you happen upon a vintage bag that's a bonus. Six or 7 clubs is really all you need. If you find a full set that too is a bonus. Be sure to post pics of your finds in the "Thrift Shop" thread. Have fun looking, it's all part of the appeal. Or just plan to attend and borrow a set. let me know if you plan to do that so we don't run out of clubs.

So to recap, I will be bringing one extra set to loan out that day. Anyone else? let me know.

:to_become_senile:

I can bring an extra set of clubs as well if someone wants to play and doesn't have their own.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

You Guys are Driving Me Nuts!

Ok, perhaps it's more of a short putt.

Regardless I dearly wish I could join you but know it's not going to happen.

I'm extremely jealous but do wish you all the best and hope you have a great outing together!

HAB and myself have talked about the trip for a while I may not be able to make it this year. I may do it next year after hopefully I retire. Augie took over management and refurb on a golf course in the mountains of NC. But anyhow Tim we need to get together with Randy because we are sorta close geographically wise.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I can bring an extra set of clubs as well if someone wants to play and doesn't have their own.

That is good of you. Now HAB will have enough stuff if he does like he did last year to equip half of the PGA Tour with classic sticks if some of them decide to show up. Now if any of you guys happen to be in the Myrtle Beach area and I know bring your modern stuff down but still want to play a vintage round you feel free to borrow vintage stuff from me--- as long as you like hitting Hogan or Macgregor

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

That is good of you. Now HAB will have enough stuff if he does like he did last year to equip half of the PGA Tour with classic sticks if some of them decide to show up. Now if any of you guys happen to be in the Myrtle Beach area and I know bring your modern stuff down but still want to play a vintage round you feel free to borrow vintage stuff from me--- as long as you like hitting Hogan or Macgregor

My selection will differ but the same offer applies to any venturing to South Florida.

Anywhere between West Palm on the north end and Plantation on the south works for me.

I don't do Miami! :stop:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Beaver Dam Country Club, by way of comparison, was $47 for 18 holes riding. I try to look for affordable courses. Old Hickory is getting a bit pricey at $61, imo. My home course, the Glacial nine, is $21.50 to walk, and the executive corse down the road is $13 for 9, last time I was there.

It would be nice if we could play both days when we gather. Just a thought for those so inclined.

If that is respective of the "rates" you guys have for a round up north, perhaps I need to take my happy butt and move.

Most of the courses our small traveling group play are $30.00 or less, 18 holes with cart. Weekday, senior rates. Very nice public courses. Rarely, do we pay much more than that. A couple of the boys start grousing about the cost when it gets into the mid-30's. Using the "on a fixed income" argument. All we play are public courses, so one has to slog around with the 'unwashed'. But the old boys in the mid-week morning crowd know how to play with pace. Shoot and scoot golf, rarely exceeding 4 hours.

Yesterday, green fees were $27.00. A cool and quite comfortable 65* when we teed off at 10:00 a.m. Just a light pullover for a few holes. A leisurely 3:45 hour round. Played like crap.

Monitoring developments of this thread. Would like to join in, but to far out to commit at this point. Delavan, WI looks doable distance-wise (388 miles). To many already booked engagements in October to make a golf trip though.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Monitoring developments of this thread. Would like to join in, but to far out to commit at this point. Delavan, WI looks doable distance-wise (388 miles). To many already booked engagements in October to make a golf trip though.

That's good to know. It looks now, based on the feedback I have received thus far, that it will NOT be in October. Most likely one of the last two weekends in September.

For those that are traveling, is anyone interested in doing 18 on Saturday and 9 on Sunday morning before you drive home? We could do a "hickory" nine, a scramble or best ball, or match play. Whatever the group decides is fine with me. If we do a two day event, I will try to get a special room rate at one of the local motels, but we would need to have a decent sized group for that. Just thinking out loud here... Any thoughts?

Date announcement:

I would like to propose Saturday September 15th is the date for our outing with a rain date of Saturday September 29th.

Please respond here and let me know if you can make it on either of those two dates.

Unless I hear otherwise, Saturday September 15th is the date. Please check your calendar!

Here is the potential course. http://www.delbrookgolfclub.com

A scouting trip is in the planning stages for later in July.

If you are planning to attend, please make sure to get me your name either here or through PM.

Thanks!