2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Offical Urethane Ball discount thread!

Break81

So if the z star is the same price as qst, who would buy qst?

Someone with a slower swing speed or someone who likes the softer feel?

The swing speed delimiter has got to be a myth.

Softer feel, I say sure on that one.

Although the z star isn't crazy firm, if u like softer, I get it.

The z star is just such a good ball, and the q star is kinda meh, that without the price difference... I don't get it..

I think it’s possible that different people have different preferences and different performance. Your same question could be asked by someone playing a Z-star XV: why would anyone play a Z-star when they could play a Z-star XV?

To be fair, both the z star and the XV are tour level balls, however no one that I am aware of plays the QST on the tour

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as nobody plays the Project A - AVX - B330 RX (maybe Paula Cramer) - Duo-U etc. 90% of amateurs don’t see much difference if any when playing these “non tour certified” balls.

I’m a 10 index , hit the ball fairly well (103-105 driver speed) and like the Project A probably the best of the low compression balls. If the QST came in yellow I might like that better.

Remember lost of pros play prototypes anyway so the store ProV1 may not be the ball Rickie is actually playing.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Just as nobody plays the Project A - AVX - B330 RX (maybe Paula Cramer) - Duo-U etc. 90% of amateurs don’t see much difference if any when playing these “non tour certified” balls.

I’m a 10 index , hit the ball fairly well (103-105 driver speed) and like the Project A probably the best of the low compression balls. If the QST came in yellow I might like that better.

Remember lost of pros play prototypes anyway so the store ProV1 may not be the ball Rickie is actually playing.

True, however just because an amateur doesn't see much difference when playing a non tour ball doesn't change the fact that the tour ball is a higher performing ball

Someone with a slower swing speed or someone who likes the softer feel?

The swing speed delimiter has got to be a myth.

Softer feel, I say sure on that one.

Although the z star isn't crazy firm, if u like softer, I get it.

The z star is just such a good ball, and the q star is kinda meh, that without the price difference... I don't get it..

I think it’s possible that different people have different preferences and different performance. Your same question could be asked by someone playing a Z-star XV: why would anyone play a Z-star when they could play a Z-star XV?

I can't speak for anyone, but just want to throw some facts into the wind. The differences between the compression on the Q-Star Tour(75) and Z star are less than the compression difference between the Z-Star(88) and XV(105).

So you're saying the Q-Star Tour (75) is exactly 85% as firm as the Z-Star (88), which is exactly 85% as firm as the Z-Star XV (105)? Interesting. Almost like Srixon did this by design.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

surely not anyone with good common sense. The Z star is so much better than the Q star tour it's silly. I found the Q star tour being very inconsistent on distance.

Given the same conditions, what do you suppose would make the same ball travel a inconsistent distances other than different swings or contact?

Off center hits, something every golfer is prone to.

Just as nobody plays the Project A - AVX - B330 RX (maybe Paula Cramer) - Duo-U etc. 90% of amateurs dont see much difference if any when playing these non tour certified balls.

Im a 10 index , hit the ball fairly well (103-105 driver speed) and like the Project A probably the best of the low compression balls. If the QST came in yellow I might like that better.

True, however just because an amateur doesn't see much difference when playing a non tour ball doesn't change the fact that the tour ball is a higher performing ball

Never said they weren’t. Just an observation that sometimes the added performance “could” be to the users own detriment.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Just as nobody plays the Project A - AVX - B330 RX (maybe Paula Cramer) - Duo-U etc. 90% of amateurs don't see much difference if any when playing these "non tour certified" balls.

I'm a 10 index , hit the ball fairly well (103-105 driver speed) and like the Project A probably the best of the low compression balls. If the QST came in yellow I might like that better.

At my level of play (14 hcper), don't see any difference with what ball I play. Therefore, purchase balls like the Duo, supersoft, e6 QS or QST. Some of my single digit buddies concur. However, one of them has to play the prov1. I asked him why and he claims they go further and spin more than others. We play together often and I just don't see these attributes at all and this guy really compresses his irons. Wish I did :swoon: .

15 hcp

Just as nobody plays the Project A - AVX - B330 RX (maybe Paula Cramer) - Duo-U etc. 90% of amateurs don't see much difference if any when playing these "non tour certified" balls.

I'm a 10 index , hit the ball fairly well (103-105 driver speed) and like the Project A probably the best of the low compression balls. If the QST came in yellow I might like that better.

At my level of play (14 hcper), don't see any difference with what ball I play. Therefore, purchase balls like the Duo, supersoft, e6 QS or QST. Some of my single digit buddies concur. However, one of them has to play the prov1. I asked him why and he claims they go further and spin more than others. We play together often and I just don't see these attributes at all and this guy really compresses his irons. Wish I did :swoon: .

I definitely will agree with you on the ball not going further, however they do offer some benefits over some of the lower price balls. I play about a 13 handicap, my weakness is my iron game. However my chipping and pitching is a huge asset and that is where a tour level ball really benefits my game. I absolutely love playing Callaway Supersoft balls, they are fairly cheap, really soft, go for miles, but around the green they have a lot of run out and they can be a bit hot coming out of the rough when chipping. A Chromesoft, Pro V1, Z Star, etc. offers much better control. That being said my normal gamers are Wilson DUO Urethane, Chromesoft (got a great deal on some clearance ones year before last), and now with this sale Srixon Z Stars. I would even throw the Q Star Tour in as well, in fact if more places had them at $15 a dozen I would have stocked up on them, but at $20 I just got the Z Stars for the same price. So there can be some benefits even with having a little higher handicap and if you catch them on sale you won't pay much more for them.

The Srixon deals this past year , from the $10 test packs, the Masters week deal and now this past 2 weeks, gotta wonder if Urethane balls are simply getting cheaper to make (remember when a flat screen TV was $5000?) or if people were getting fleeced beyond belief?

Srixon has always had deal on prior generations which is what lead me to them 6 years ago as my favorite, but they seem to be ok with $20 a dozen retail on current offerings.

Now you can see why the KSIG can be $15 a dozen without a retailer marking them up and still turns a profit.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I think the competition in that market niche is brutal and there are more makers than ever dividing up a market that is barely growing at all these last few years. Nike quit the business completely, Srixon is unable to gain any traction at all trying to charge Callaway/TM prices and even perceived major player Bridgestone recently fired their CEO over slippage in their golf ball profitability.

The result is every sort of knockdown price deal you can imagine as the shakeout continues.

I think the competition in that market niche is brutal and there are more makers than ever dividing up a market that is barely growing at all these last few years. Nike quit the business completely, Srixon is unable to gain any traction at all trying to charge Callaway/TM prices and even perceived major player Bridgestone recently fired their CEO over slippage in their golf ball profitability.

The result is every sort of knockdown price deal you can imagine as the shakeout continues.

I’ll be curious to see where the AVX is a year from now. Sure there is some well documented love in these forum pages , but so far just like the Tour Soft , I don’t see any local players on my home courses uses any.

You are correct the whole market has been spread thin and wide. I have seen more Callaway SuperBold on the course than any other new ball. Maybe because I live in an area with a high volume of Asian golfers but the market has shifted pretty fast the last 5 years.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

At my club I'm seeing the same mix of 70% Titleist (mostly ProV1/ProV1x but also some Velocity and now Tour Soft), 20% Bridgestone (50/50 mix of B330 variants and e6 Soft) and 10% everything else. Lately I've found a couple of TP5/TP5x out there and there's a couple of us using AVX but at our mid-level private club it's still a ProV1 world and everyone else is just living in it.

P.S. Almost forgot...someone lately must be using the yellow-and-black Truvis on a regular basis as I've found three of them in the past 6-8 weeks.

Stopped by my local Academy Sports last night to pick up some Z Star XVs. They didn't have them marked on the shelf as on sale, but I knew they were 50% off online on their website. I took 2 doz up to the register, and they were in the system as on sale, so I did get them for $20/dozen.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Dick's Sporting Goods sent an e-mail this a.m. for 20% off one item. This coupon works with the current Srixon offerings and Dicks is also offering free shipping on Srixon golf balls -- comes out to $16.00 plus tax for a dozen.

What’s the code? I only got the email from golf galaxy but the code didn’t work at DSG

Dick's Sporting Goods sent an e-mail this a.m. for 20% off one item. This coupon works with the current Srixon offerings and Dicks is also offering free shipping on Srixon golf balls -- comes out to $16.00 plus tax for a dozen.

Whats the code? I only got the email from golf galaxy but the code didnt work at DSG

It you received the email you just have to click through the email to receive the 20% off. No code required.

I just tried the Qstar tour after reading all the hype and I was very disappointed. Flew many greens and the ball wouldn't stop on the greens I hit. Chipping was ok, but hitting into the greens was bad for me. I have 3 sleeves ill never use now but at $20 per dzn right now, the fans of this ball can really get a good deal

What’s the code? I only got the email from golf galaxy but the code didn’t work at DSG

It you received the email you just have to click through the email to receive the 20% off. No code required.

dang, thank you

Edit: I found the click-through link for anyone who didn't get the email:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/s/affiliate?channel=couponcabin&irgwc=1&camp=AFF:mediapartner:TEXT_LINK::10557:486676

I just tried the Qstar tour after reading all the hype and I was very disappointed. Flew many greens and the ball wouldn't stop on the greens I hit. Chipping was ok, but hitting into the greens was bad for me. I have 3 sleeves ill never use now but at $20 per dzn right now, the fans of this ball can really get a good deal

Q star terribly overrated.

Z star is an amazing ball, especially at the price point.

Weird right?

Weird right?

I just tried the TP5 and it was awesome. Too rich for my blood though.

The Z star is much better and the Qstar?

ill give away my Qstars if anyone wants to make a trade for another ball

Weird right?

The q star tour is a good ball, like the chrome soft. The reg q star is just a 2pc distance ball.

The z star is a higher compression tour level ball, like pro v1(xv like v1x). It's a great ball and at $20/doz the best deal out there by far.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

Weird right?

I think the tp5 is the best around, but I have the same reservations.

So worldwide golf shops has the $20 deal online , it says limit 2 but it seems to take as many as you like .

I also know a $20 off $100 code but then the free shipping is erased. Comes out to $88 for 5 dozen. Not sure if they will stop the order because you are ordering more than 2 but looks promising. DM me if you want the code for the $20 off

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I don't want to read this, I just got two dozen of them to try based on all the hype! Man I can't imagine they won't stop on the greens somewhat since they are three piece ball.

I don't want to read this, I just got two dozen of them to try based on all the hype! Man I can't imagine they won't stop on the greens somewhat since they are three piece ball.

Maybe he tried the regular Q Star, not the Q Star Tour?

I play the QST often and on full iron shots it has plenty of stopping power. Even pitches and chips check up well. The Z Star does have a touch more greenside spin, but on bad days can get really sideways on my bad driver swings.

Better to decide for yourself. I find they stop on the green just fine and flying over the green is avoided by choosing the right club (or not skulling the shot). Seriously if they fly the green and it's because the ball goes further for you then you have the benefit of be able to take less club (which tends to be more accurate).

I have 3 rounds in on one Q Star Tour and it's holding up well.

So worldwide golf shops has the $20 deal online , it says limit 2 but it seems to take as many as you like .

I also know a $20 off $100 code but then the free shipping is erased. Comes out to $88 for 5 dozen. Not sure if they will stop the order because you are ordering more than 2 but looks promising. DM me if you want the code for the $20 off

You can buy 6 and get free shipping.

$99.97 for 6 dozen. Cheapest deal out there