Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

First up let me say that I wanted to buy a set of TM 790 but they can't build me a set at less than D6 at +1" even with lightweight shafts and their lightest heads so that was a deal-breaker for me.

I have tested them extensively on trackman with lots of different shaft options. If you remove all of the other variables (loft, shaft, swingweight, length) whereby the ONLY difference is the head, I didn't find them much longer than most other heads on the market for a properly struck shot.

They are forgiving so mishits may well go further and they look and feel good to me. The strong lofts make the real difference vs conventional loft clubs, but it's pure semantics if you take a 7 rather than a 6 simply because the 7 has the same loft as the 6

Not knocking them, it's a great product I would happily own, but getting fit into the right shaft has a far greater influence on performance than the extra "speed" you get off these irons vs competition with the same lofts.

I have them at +1” and they come at D3.5.

With modus3 105 S

First up let me say that I wanted to buy a set of TM 790 but they can't build me a set at less than D6 at +1" even with lightweight shafts and their lightest heads so that was a deal-breaker for me.

I have tested them extensively on trackman with lots of different shaft options. If you remove all of the other variables (loft, shaft, swingweight, length) whereby the ONLY difference is the head, I didn't find them much longer than most other heads on the market for a properly struck shot.

They are forgiving so mishits may well go further and they look and feel good to me. The strong lofts make the real difference vs conventional loft clubs, but it's pure semantics if you take a 7 rather than a 6 simply because the 7 has the same loft as the 6

Not knocking them, it's a great product I would happily own, but getting fit into the right shaft has a far greater influence on performance than the extra "speed" you get off these irons vs competition with the same lofts.

I ordered some +1/2" and they came in at D0....had to pull the heads and add weight! DG 105 x100 shafts and they used lightweight heads.

If they had been +1" that would have been about D3.

That's really interesting thanks. Did they have the etched dot in front of the serial number to denote light heads?

My guy was coming up with D6 at +1" with Shimada Constant shafts that should swingweight about 1-2 pts LESS than the DG 105 X100

Makes me wonder if he was just using the standard weight heads (apparently they had a green dot on them but no etched dot) even though he was told they were the lightest TM had

Originally ordered mine at +1/2” with PX 6.5 (125g shafts) and they all came in right around D2. Added another 1/2” to them for a full inch over and they’re all around D4.5

Standard heads, no dots or etching.

I ordered some +1/2" and they came in at D0....had to pull the heads and add weight! DG 105 x100 shafts and they used lightweight heads.

That's really interesting thanks. Did they have the etched dot in front of the serial number to denote light heads?

My guy was coming up with D6 at +1" with Shimada Constant shafts that should swingweight about 1-2 pts LESS than the DG 105 X100

Makes me wonder if he was just using the standard weight heads (apparently they had a green dot on them but no etched dot) even though he was told they were the lightest TM had

Originally ordered mine at +1/2" with PX 6.5 (125g shafts) and they all came in right around D2. Added another 1/2" to them for a full inch over and they're all around D4.5

Thanks - I have messaged TM to try to understand how I am being told one thing, yet there are so many members here that evidence +1" over with Modus 105 should get close to D3 with lighter heads

No iron set will be all things to all people. Aside from the head, many other variables exist too such as shaft, length, lie, grips, etc. Seems clear to me the P790s work great for many, including myself. If the P790s (or insert any other major OEM model) don’t work for you, it isn’t because they inherently have gapping issues, are too hot, etc. Poor results are due to only one of two things: set build isn’t appropriate for you, or you aren’t putting a good swing on them.

But all that said I switch gear all the time because it is really fun to try all the new stuff and then “nerd out” with all my other “golf nerd” friends. So I’m not knocking this thread or posts, just feel this needs to be said. And I check this thread daily to read all the banter because I find it incredibly entertaining to read, so there is always that....

I disagree with this. Different heads are designed to have different ball-flight characteristics. If a player who naturally hits a high ball and already has moderate to low spin, say Jason Day, picked up the P790 it would be terrible for him. If a player who needs launch help grabbed some blades the higher CG would have them hitting bullets with too shallow a land angle.

I know I personally can’t flight the P790 down or spin it enough for it to be usable. Also, I have no need for a 220yd 7i. Weaken the lofts to increase spin and I hit it even higher. Some swings just do not work well with certain head designs. To me the P750 is the class of the current TM lineup.

Maybe this is what you mean by “set build” and if so my apologies, I took that to mean shaft profile, length, weight, flex, etc.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

No iron set will be all things to all people. Aside from the head, many other variables exist too such as shaft, length, lie, grips, etc. Seems clear to me the P790s work great for many, including myself. If the P790s (or insert any other major OEM model) don’t work for you, it isn’t because they inherently have gapping issues, are too hot, etc. Poor results are due to only one of two things: set build isn’t appropriate for you, or you aren’t putting a good swing on them.

But all that said I switch gear all the time because it is really fun to try all the new stuff and then “nerd out” with all my other “golf nerd” friends. So I’m not knocking this thread or posts, just feel this needs to be said. And I check this thread daily to read all the banter because I find it incredibly entertaining to read, so there is always that....

I disagree with this. Different heads are designed to have different ball-flight characteristics. If a player who naturally hits a high ball and already has moderate to low spin, say Jason Day, picked up the P790 it would be terrible for him. If a player who needs launch help grabbed some blades the higher CG would have them hitting bullets with too shallow a land angle.

I know I personally can’t flight the P790 down or spin it enough for it to be usable. Also, I have no need for a 220yd 7i. Weaken the lofts to increase spin and I hit it even higher. Some swings just do not work well with certain head designs. To me the P750 is the class of the current TM lineup.

Maybe this is what you mean by “set build” and if so my apologies, I took that to mean shaft profile, length, weight, flex, etc.

I agree. Set build to me includes all you mention including the head. The pros could game just about anything but you wont see more than a few game a full set of 790s. Totally agree for several reasons.

I love the banter and debates as much as anyone, but the reality is that the 790s are great, they just may not be great for everyone. We can say that about most major oem clubs and shafts. I’m as guilty as anyone though of searching for those unicorns. And we all know the unicorn is a jus a properly fit club. Yet many of us enjoy the “hunt” more than anything. I love how as soon as I want to try something I quickly get online to watch/read reviews as if that has anything to do with the results I’d see. But I do it anyways and will continue to do it because it is fun. Simply put, if anyone wants the best results they need to get fit. That of course includes myself. But I am currently gaming 790s in project x 6.0 that I wasn’t fitted for. And I’m playing a 2 iron which should probably be in someone else’s bag. Yet here we all are. But we’re having fun, right?!?

These P790 seem to be the club choice for 2018 just like the CF16 Apex were when they 1st came out. Just ordered me a custom set 4-PW with Recoil shafts. TM not only make great drivers they are also making great irons. Should be in around the end of June.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

As much as I wanted to make these work for ME, it has not been a success. I did a full fitting so my specs were not an issue. For ME, on the course I found them to not get along with my style of play. I am fairly low spin player, so on course this has been an issue. But the biggest problem I have had is that I am player that rarely hits a 100% shot (especially with short irons), and I have really struggled to get along with the 790's on this type of shot (distance control being the main issue). I came from the Ping Ie1, and honestly I regret chasing the extra distance (which to be honest I could use as I am 98-100 with a driver). I think for the right type of player these clubs are great, I just unfortunately am not that type of player. Which is a bummer cause I really wanted these to work. If between clubs you prefer the shorter club and swing hard, I think these work great for you. If you go the other way, I think you may be disappointed.

As much as I wanted to make these work for ME, it has not been a success. I did a full fitting so my specs were not an issue. For ME, on the course I found them to not get along with my style of play. I am fairly low spin player, so on course this has been an issue. But the biggest problem I have had is that I am player that rarely hits a 100% shot (especially with short irons), and I have really struggled to get along with the 790's on this type of shot (distance control being the main issue). I came from the Ping Ie1, and honestly I regret chasing the extra distance (which to be honest I could use as I am 98-100 with a driver). I think for the right type of player these clubs are great, I just unfortunately am not that type of player. Which is a bummer cause I really wanted these to work. If between clubs you prefer the shorter club and swing hard, I think these work great for you. If you go the other way, I think you may be disappointed.

so what was the issue? U couldn't elevate them when clubbing up and swinging slow?

so what was the issue? U couldn't elevate them when clubbing up and swinging slow?

For me I found that taking off was made it difficult to control distance. I would make what I expected to be a swing to take 5 yards off, but would be sometimes 10 off and sometimes full expected difference. My current HCP is 3.5 so I am not a terrible ball striker. I thought that might be a problem with 7iron-4iron (due to slot) but it was an issue for me on the short irons as well. To repeat, I am no power hitter (98-100 with the driver), so distance control with mid irons is vital to my game. I just have been unable to get accustomed to the 790's. I got them when they first came out, but I am going back to more of a control iron (z765). For my game the loss of distance is a worthwhile sacrifice.

... I said this earlier, but I had some distance control issues with my P790 short irons too. I was finessing shots like I always have with solid forged CB's and getting inconsistent distances. For me, hitting the ball aggressively with 3/4 swings gives me consistent distances. I think the thin face reacts differently to "softer" swings and of course we cannot swing the same way every time when dialing it down. I am similar to you with a 100-102 smooth driver swing. This solved the problem for me but of course your mmv.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Originally ordered mine at +1/2" with PX 6.5 (125g shafts) and they all came in right around D2. Added another 1/2" to them for a full inch over and they're all around D4.5

Thanks - I have messaged TM to try to understand how I am being told one thing, yet there are so many members here that evidence +1" over with Modus 105 should get close to D3 with lighter heads

+1

I'm +1" with DG105 and pretty sure mine are D4 - definitely give them a call. I couldn't not be happier with this set up.

+1

I'm +1" with DG105 and pretty sure mine are D4 - definitely give them a call. I couldn't not be happier with this set up.

Thanks. Well I messaged them yesterday morning as I thought that way they could make sure the message was passed to someone who would know definitively rather than getting immediate feedback from someone in Customer Services that didn't have detailed information. It would also give me a written reference point if I placed an order and it came back at D6. No response to date...…..

While I still think these are great irons I've decided move on after spending way too much putting some $ taper shafts in them. Typical for me and my equipment I guess. I just find that I am more consistent with the X Forged so I'm listing my 790's and their $ tapers on the bay.

say it ain't so??? you're ditching the $ tapers???

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

While I still think these are great irons I've decided move on after spending way too much putting some $ taper shafts in them. Typical for me and my equipment I guess. I just find that I am more consistent with the X Forged so I'm listing my 790's and their $ tapers on the bay.

I will be selling mine as well. Too inconsistent on the distances, and I have given them plenty of chances. Now just need to decide if I sell them as is with the Obans.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I hit the X forged so much better.

what shaft is in xf?

what shaft is in xf?

PX LZ’s and they feel great

I'm loving these clubs. I just reshafted them with Accra Tour 100i's and now I REALLY like them!

I had the Modus 120's in them and they felt not so great.... I had no distance issues at all with that shaft, but they just felt harsh. I reshafted them with the Accra's and now they feel smooth as butter and still no distance issues. Loving them.

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG Gen6 0311P 4-G, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

Anyone have them with the Oban CT115 shafts in them? I was fitted for that combo and absolutely loved the feel but damn $75 per shaft seemed high.

That's exactly what I was fitted for, and have. They are sweet shafts for sure. I'm selling these irons, just deciding if I will pull the shafts because I like them so much and paid $75 a piece.

If you are interested, shoot me a DM.

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Anyone have them with the Oban CT115 shafts in them? I was fitted for that combo and absolutely loved the feel but damn $75 per shaft seemed high.

That's exactly what I was fitted for, and have. They are sweet shafts for sure. I'm selling these irons, just deciding if I will pull the shafts because I like them so much and paid $75 a piece.

I’m still on the fence at the moment but was just trying to see if someone could give me their thoughts on the shafts. Worth the added cost?

that is steep

I’m still on the fence at the moment but was just trying to see if someone could give me their thoughts on the shafts. Worth the added cost?

My thought was if a fitter said they gave me the numbers, and I was professionally fit, then get them. Otherwise I'm wasting time.

Evnroll ESR2 Black

My thought was if a fitter said they gave me the numbers, and I was professionally fit, then get them. Otherwise I'm wasting time.

I completely agree and I trust the guy that did the fitting. I just wanted to get someone’s opinion on the shafts because the nippons gave me similar numbers but I just loved the feeling on the Obans on the shots I hit with them.

I completely agree and I trust the guy that did the fitting. I just wanted to get someone’s opinion on the shafts because the nippons gave me similar numbers but I just loved the feeling on the Obans on the shots I hit with them.

When I winced at the price of the Obans, my fitter said the Nippon pro 105 x was the next best thing. I almost did that, but decided to go with the Obans. Who knows.

Evnroll ESR2 Black