Bending irons upright vs tending to draw/hook the ball

KMeloney

Despite me always seeming to be "standard" in my iron lies when hitting off a lie board, my range/course divots usually reveal a toe-deep start to them (the toe-end of the sole of the club is entering the turf first, then the divot widens from there), suggesting that maybe my irons should be bent upright some.

However, my natural shot is a draw, and the miss is more often a hook.

Knowing that my miss is a hook, and knowing that bending clubs upright can make them tend to go left, should I abandon the idea of having my lies bent upright? Or, do the benefits of having the club enter the turf uniformly outweigh the downside of anymore left bias in my swing?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole idea is to have the ball go where you want it to go. The ball doesn't care about the divot pattern.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Missing right can also be a sign of a inward club path....

IDK, I know my Irons are bent 1 Flat & in my case it did turn a Hard drawl on perfectly struck balls to a slight drawl or neutral flight. But for me bending flat was the right thing to do cause I have shorter arms & my toe was always way up at impact.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I’m generally all for someone having “correct” lie angles, but if your usual shot is a draw and your miss is a hook, I’d just leave them alone.

The biggest issue with me is always with the short irons and particularly the wedges. If I take a sand wedge off the rack with a stock 64* lie it always goes left. Every single shot. That lie induced pull is a killer for me. I have to have mine a little bit flat.

If you already fight going left, leave them alone.

The whole idea is to have the ball go where you want it to go. The ball doesn't care about the divot pattern.

With all due respect, I know that the ball doesn't care. I care, though, because as long as I'm led to believe that I can improve ball contact by having the iron enter the turf uniformly, then I have to wonder if I should address my lie-angles. (If lie angles aren't important, then why are they ever considered?)

If the answer is that an upright lie will always make the ball go more left, then it sounds like a bad idea. But, if the answer is that by getting the lie correct I could dramatically improve contact such that it might actually correct (or at least override) some of my current left tendencies, then I should probably look into it further.

Having the sole enter the turf "uniformly" is overrated. On the other hand, just about any spec change that allows us to be more consistently accurate, is very valuable

Thank you. Maybe it's not so much the turf entry (I know that it's a symptom of a possible problem, really) as much as an issue of where a toe-deep swing puts the sweet spot behind the ball, or that I could be unknowingly fighting the face wanting to twist open.

...Or that I shouldn't be much concerned with it.

If you take two swings that are EXACTLY the same in every way, and one is taken with a lie angle that is too upright, it will ALWAYS launch more left than the flatter club.

Opposite holds true as well. If you make two IDENTICAL swings and one club is too flat for you, it will always launch more to the right than the more upright club.

Also, a non-uniform divot does not necessarily mean that the sole was not "uniform" during contact.

A toe heavy divot can simply indicate a "high rate of closure" through and past impact. A fast closing club face will almost always toe dig the divot,....in part because the toe is arriving in the ground before the heel

Also, a non-uniform divot does not necessarily mean that the sole was not "uniform" during contact.

A toe heavy divot can simply indicate a "high rate of closure" through and past impact. A fast closing club face will almost always toe dig the divot,....in part because the toe is arriving in the ground before the heel

Great info.

If it makes a difference to you, my divots all look like my toe is digging just a hair more than the heel and I know my lies are dead on. I Check and adjust them every year.

Yes sir, that makes a difference to me. I certainly don't want to have my irons bent if they shouldn't be -- just looking to learn something here.

That would explain a draw bias/hook miss as well so it seems like a good thing to address.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

With all due respect, I know that the ball doesn't care. I care, though, because as long as I'm led to believe that I can improve ball contact by having the iron enter the turf uniformly, then I have to wonder if I should address my lie-angles. (If lie angles aren't important, then why are they ever considered?)

If the answer is that an upright lie will always make the ball go more left, then it sounds like a bad idea. But, if the answer is that by getting the lie correct I could dramatically improve contact such that it might actually correct (or at least override) some of my current left tendencies, then I should probably look into it further.

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself to fix something that ain’t broke. Lie angles are important, but the important part is the relationship of the club head at impact and not after. And the divot happens after impact.

MCC Align Midsize

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself to fix something that ain’t broke. Lie angles are important, but the important part is the relationship of the club head at impact and not after. And the divot happens after impact.

Oh no You didn’t. You brought up the “divot happens after impact” fact. Are we betting on How many posts until someone swears that’s not true?

“No way man! If your club is too flat that toe digs in before you hit the ball and it opens the face! Everyone knows that!”.... Lol. Every time.

I noticed I needed more upright angles when I found that I couldn't hit off tight range mats very consistently, and the toe was always melting the green fiber. Trust me, I fought a hook and never found that bending my clubs, upright appreciably, ever really exacerbated the problem. Better contact allowed me to fix the issue, something that just wasn't possible before

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I am exactly like OP and i am very close to getting a new iron set possibly with 2degrees upright.

However I was told by a Titleist fitter : “i think you should go with a standard lie and just fix your swing to a proper position because your club path is open.”

I now think that perhaps I should fix my swing. I don’t know the handicap of the OP but with my skills having a consistent swing will yield me better swing than bending 2 degrees upright which wouldn’t make that much of a difference to my current consistency.

Lie boards is useless, take a ballmarker test.

Lie board marks or deep divot toe side is most likely a face closed to path at impact, and when you close up too much, you got a hook.

Take a look at your hands at address, i think you might have a grip where tje righr

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Lie board marks or deep divot toe side is most likely a face closed to path at impact, and when you close up too much, you got a hook.

Take a look at your hands at address, i think you might have a grip where the right hand is "to strong", causing you to close up to much when your timing gets off.

We count 1* too much upright to make a tilt on the spin axis of 3*

We get the same tilt of 3* with a face angle of 1*closed to path, so when our right hand becomes to active, we can by ease close it 3-4 to path, and then we are out to the left with a hook, even with correct lie.

Get lie angles done, and check your lower hand at adr.

Not at all. I'm hoping to rule it out, actually, since I'd have to pay someone to do it, would potentially be without my clubs for some time, and maybe have it be a disaster that I'd have to undo after. Really just looking for info from those in the know.

...And, sadly, my divots aren't always after the ball! Haha (But, yes, we're talking about after-the-ball divots here.)

Are you delivering the club with high hands? That will certainly make the head toe down at impact.

I think so. I'm working on it, though.

I noticed I needed more upright angles when I found that I couldn't hit off tight range mats very consistently, and the toe was always melting the green fiber. Trust me, I fought a hook and never found that bending my clubs, upright appreciably, ever really exacerbated the problem. Better contact allowed me to fix the issue, something that just wasn't possible before

This notion is at the heart of my question.

Take a look at your hands at address, i think you might have a grip where the right hand is "to strong", causing you to close up to much when your timing gets off.

We count 1* too much upright to make a tilt on the spin axis of 3*

We get the same tilt of 3* with a face angle of 1*closed to path, so when our right hand becomes to active, we can by ease close it 3-4 to path, and then we are out to the left with a hook, even with correct lie.

Get lie angles done, and check your lower hand at adr.

My grip is definitely strong, and I know that that's the major contributor to the left tendency and miss. No doubt.

Okay. Now we are getting at the root of the issue. The symptom is toe down and the cause is likely grip and swing orientated. Sounds like you need to fix the grip issue first and then see what changes have occurred. As always, seeking professional help is the best route. They can best guide you in what needs to be done and in what order.

MCC Align Midsize

Not toe down, all it takes is a face closed to path.

Just imagine a closed face entering the ball, what part of the club will be in front and make turf contact first? Toe side is the answer

Are you delivering the club with high hands? That will certainly make the head toe down at impact.

I tried about 15 years ago to play with lie angles because of heavy green plastic on the toe after range sessions. I tried all the way to +4 degrees, stiffer shafts, and relatively little change except hating the way the toe set way up at address.

Things finally changed when I learned what early extension was and how it was causing me to deliver with hands high and toe down. Things practically changed overnight.

I tried about 15 years ago to play with lie angles because of heavy green plastic on the toe after range sessions. I tried all the way to +4 degrees, stiffer shafts, and relatively little change except hating the way the toe set way up at address.

Things finally changed when I learned what early extension was and how it was causing me to deliver with hands high and toe down. Things practically changed overnight.

I like this answer- might not be OP's problem, but it was mine. I would also feel the face want to crank open from hitting the ground with thetoe first.

Any issue with this OP?