Advice or General Knowledge?

You are playing a course for the first time in a tournament and you’re on a par 3. It is 170 yards and one of your competitors (who has local course knowledge) says it plays a bit uphill. Is this allowed or considered “giving advice”?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are playing a course for the first time in a tournament and you're on a par 3. It is 170 yards and one of your competitors (who has local course knowledge) says it plays a bit uphill. Is this allowed or considered "giving advice"?

First, the Definition:

"Advice" is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke.

Information on the Rules, distance or matters of public information, such as the position of hazards or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice.

Nuance is important. I'd be inclined to consider the remark as advice rather than a statement about the hill they were soon to have to walk up to get to the putting green.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Advice.

Unless there is some public knowledge (internet, course advice book, etc) of same.

Saying this to someone is giving advice whether or not someone has happened to write it down earlier. And tossing them an advice book and telling them to look it up would be "advice" too. If a person, on his/her own, references a book they've brought with them, that's fine.

I'm thinking back to my last interclub match, at my home course. We have significant terrain, some shots may have 30 feet or more of elevation change. We played against two guys who had never seen the course, so asked a lot of questions. I felt comfortably within the rules to say things like "Its 200 yards to the near edge of the green, 230 to the back, and its clearly downhill." I wouldn't discuss how much difference the uphill or downhill makes in club selection, but if its clear to see, I think that falls under the heading of "common knowledge". Similarly, if a printed Yardage Book says "This hole plays slightly downhill", to say the same thing out loud might also fall under the common knowledge classification. I'd be interested to hear agreement or disagreement with either.

Edit..I see that Sawgrass has already disagreed about the yardage book part of that, I bow to his superior knowledge on the subject.

Advice.

Unless there is some public knowledge (internet, course advice book, etc) of same.

That's an interesting notion. Suppose that $5 course guide booklet from the pro shop says, "On #5, take an extra club. The hole is more uphill than it looks." Does that suddenly become public knowledge, and thus the fellow-competitor's remark no longer constitute advice?

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Advice.

That's an interesting notion. Suppose that $5 course guide booklet from the pro shop says, "On #5, take an extra club. The hole is more uphill than it looks." Does that suddenly become public knowledge, and thus the fellow-competitor's remark no longer constitute advice?

Using such information published before play is not IMO a breach of 8-1.

So if there is a new bunker invisible over the hill which is not on strokesaver nor on google maps, I am not allowed to say it?

You are playing a course for the first time in a tournament and you’re on a par 3. It is 170 yards and one of your competitors (who has local course knowledge) says it plays a bit uphill. Is this allowed or considered “giving advice”?

He can say it is a bit uphill?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Advice.

While it's true that "matters of public information" are not "advice" it's also true that basically everything you might say is "public information" in one way or another. It's public information that swinging with a good tempo helps your game. But telling an opponent that he should swing with a good tempo is a violation. "The hole plays uphill" is no different IMO, it should not be said. Describing the hole as "an uphill par 3" is a different matter.

So if there is a new bunker invisible over the hill which is not on strokesaver nor on google maps, I am not allowed to say it?

You are playing a course for the first time in a tournament and you're on a par 3. It is 170 yards and one of your competitors (who has local course knowledge) says it plays a bit uphill. Is this allowed or considered "giving advice"?

He can say it is a bit uphill?

IMO stating that there is a bunker present that you can't see is an excellent example of "public information" which may legally be shared.

Advice.

Nor, I think, is referencing that $5 guide during play a breach. The question becomes does the existance of such published notes place it in the domain of "public information" and the subsequent repeating of same by the fellow-competitor not constitute advice?

Advice.

Nor, I think, is referencing that $5 guide during play a breach. The question becomes does the existance of such published notes place it in the domain of "public information" and the subsequent repeating of same by the fellow-competitor not constitute advice?

You, sir, are standing on a slippery slope! (And I mean that as advice.)

Advice.

Saying this to someone is giving advice whether or not someone has happened to write it down earlier. And tossing them an advice book and telling them to look it up would be "advice" too. If a person, on his/her own, references a book they've brought with them, that's fine.

What makes someting read in a shared yardage book advice from the other person sharing it? I'm not with you on that wihout a bit more justification.

First, the Definition:

"Advice" is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke.

Information on the Rules, distance or matters of public information, such as the position of hazards or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice.

Nuance is important. I'd be inclined to consider the remark as advice rather than a statement about the hill they were soon to have to walk up to get to the putting green.

See above.

The information on distance one was somewhat different "way back when". I can remember playing a hole and somebody being about 157 out from the middle.

I was told you could NOT tell them they were 157 out as that was a judgement (the additional 7 yards) and therefore considered "advice" but what you COULD do was go over (or just point to) the 150 yard marker in the middle of the fairway and tell the guy "I'm standing on the 150 yards marker" (public information).

Some 8 or 9(?) years ago I was playing with a buddy of mine who was a big time caddy and he told me that you COULD tell another guy yardages - not sure if this was a result of rangefinders becoming popular or not but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I've played resort courses where the GPS in the cart will give advice like favor the right side with your drive or take an extra club; it's more uphill than it looks. Did I incur a penalty?

IMO reading something that's already prepared is not asking for advice. But telling someone to read something specific that's already been prepared is providing them with advice.

Advice.

What makes someting read in a shared yardage book advice from the other person sharing it? I'm not with you on that without a bit more justification.

Colin, I'm not saying that sharing a yardage book is advice. I'm saying that saying something like, "You should read this in our yardage book before you make your stroke" is advice, whether it's written down already or not. On a tangent, I'll add that writing something down on the edge of a scorecard and then passing it to someone telling them to read it is also advice!

Edit: to be clear, I'm saying that suggesting someone read something in a yardage book that's otherwise advice is a violation, I'm not saying that suggesting they read the yardages presented or looking at the hole layout is a violation.

Advice.

What makes someting read in a shared yardage book advice from the other person sharing it? I'm not with you on that without a bit more justification.

Colin, I'm not saying that sharing a yardage book is advice. I'm saying that saying something like, "You should read this in our yardage book before you make your stroke" is advice, whether it's written down already or not. On a tangent, I'll add that writing something down on the edge of a scorecard and then passing it to someone telling them to read it is also advice!

Edit: to be clear, I'm saying that suggesting someone read something in a yardage book that's otherwise advice is a violation, I'm not saying that suggesting they read the yardages presented or looking at the hole layout is a violation.

The question was asked at 2017 workshop and the answer was as stated--if written and public, then not advice.

Advice.

The question was asked at 2017 workshop and the answer was as stated--if written and public, then not advice.

I certainly respect the source, but I'm concerned with possible misinterpretation of what was said. Let me put it this way. Prior to play, I write down on a slip of paper, "All putts on the 13th green break to the right." I got that information from the internet, or a yardage book, or the pro. I believe you're saying since it has already been written down I'm permitted to nudge the player and hand it to him as he approaches the 13th, or read it to him.

I'm not buying that. You, yourself, choosing to access pre-prepared information is always acceptable. Forcing it on someone else would often not be.

I've played resort courses where the GPS in the cart will give advice like favor the right side with your drive or take an extra club; it's more uphill than it looks. Did I incur a penalty?

IMO reading something that's already prepared is not asking for advice. But telling someone to read something specific that's already been prepared is providing them with advice.

What if I read the GPS to my FC who was not aware the GPS had helpful hints displayed?

I think some people are missing an important distinction.

What is and what is not advice?

vs

What would be a breach of rule 8-1?

Just because something is not a breach of 8-1, does not automatically turn it from "advice" to "public information"

If I document "advice" on a card, and reference it during a round, it doesn't automatically change it from being advice into being public information (it's definitely not public - it's mine! :-). I am still using advice but I'm not in violation of 8-1 since I didn't ask it of my FC's (or anyone else) nor was it given to me by them. How it is given or received is just as important as the nature of the content when determining if a breach has occurred.

First, the Definition:

So if he had said “170 but The green sits on a hill”, do you think that would be considered “information” and not “advice”? Saying the same thing just different words.

First, the Definition:

So if he had said "170 but The green sits on a hill", do you think that would be considered "information" and not "advice"? Saying the same thing just different words.

That's information, not advice.

First, the Definition:

So if he had said "170 but The green sits on a hill", do you think that would be considered "information" and not "advice"? Saying the same thing just different words.

That's information, not advice.

Agreed. But back to the original comment, "It plays uphill", that sounds to me like a suggestion to use more club since the hole does not appear to be uphill.