Sunnehanna Am

Rapatt95 ·  
Rapatt95Rapatt95 wowMembers  707WRX Points: 134Handicap: lolPosts: 707 Golden Tee
The kid who played in the US Open when he was 15 is at the Sunnehanna Am today. The company I work for is a corporate sponsor so I’m lucky enough to be taking in some beautiful weather and darn good golf instead of work. <br />
<br />
Anyone have any good stories about seeing a future star before they made it big?
Posted:
Ping G400lst 8.5->9.5 Aldila Tour Blue 65tx 
Taylormade V-steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra Rail-H 19* Aldila Tour Blue 75tx 
Ben Hogan PTx 22* Aldila Proto VS 85x
26*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x
Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
Vokey SM5 50* 54* 58* DG Wedge
Ping 1959 B60

Comments

• rlconklinrlconklin Members  214WRX Points: 37Posts: 214 Bunkers
    No stories to share, but I got to play Sunnehanna a couple years ago. It's a fantastic course. Hopefully I'll get invited back to play again someday.<br />
    <br />
    The clubhouse has pictures of some of the greats that have played there over the years, pretty impressive group.
    Posted:
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Irons, and Woods
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Members  707WRX Points: 134Handicap: lolPosts: 707 Golden Tee
    rlconklin wrote:
    No stories to share, but I got to play Sunnehanna a couple years ago. It's a fantastic course. Hopefully I'll get invited back to play again someday.<br />
    <br />
    The clubhouse has pictures of some of the greats that have played there over the years, pretty impressive group.
    <br />
    Yea, I was in awe of the course conditions today. Absolutely done up well for the tournament. Maybe someday...
    Posted:
    Ping 1959 B60
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members  196WRX Points: 103Handicap: 6.5Posts: 196 Fairways
    I grew up in johnstown and got to play sunnehanna many years ago for high school golf. I would love to get to play it again some day. I think since I grew up there it didn’t really dawn on me the significance of the tournament and all the history back then.
    Posted:
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Cobra F8
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Members  707WRX Points: 134Handicap: lolPosts: 707 Golden Tee
    I grew up in johnstown and got to play sunnehanna many years ago for high school golf. I would love to get to play it again some day. I think since I grew up there it didn&#146;t really dawn on me the significance of the tournament and all the history back then.
    <br />
    dahntahn?
    Posted:
    Ping 1959 B60
  • wobgonwobgon Members  7985WRX Points: 775Posts: 7,985 Titanium Tees
    This story loses a lot because I cannot remember the players name, but he went on to be a fairly big name on the PGA tour.......A former club pro at our course (Jimmy) was an assistant at sunnehanna.......The guy who won the tourny broke his putter on the first day and borrowed Jimmy's putter to finish the event.....He won, and left with his putter......Jimmy never saw the putter or heard from the guy again.
    Posted:
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members  196WRX Points: 103Handicap: 6.5Posts: 196 Fairways
    Rapatt95 wrote:
    <br />
    I grew up in johnstown and got to play sunnehanna many years ago for high school golf. I would love to get to play it again some day. I think since I grew up there it didn’t really dawn on me the significance of the tournament and all the history back then.
    <br />
    dahntahn?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Right dahn ‘eir wit da flood n’at
    Posted:
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Cobra F8
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie

Advertisement
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4297WRX Points: 1,513Posts: 4,297 Titanium Tees
    Many stories in this thread, but no names remembered.
    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
    Many stories in this thread, but no names remembered.
    <br />
    Kids name I saw today was Cole Hammer (sp?). Talked with his caddie’s dad for a little bit. Some insane talent there today
    Posted:
    Ping 1959 B60
  • 15th Club15th Club Members  2254WRX Points: 565Posts: 2,254 Platinum Tees
    My personal favorite saw-them-before-the-rest-of-the-world story is having worked the 2002 US Am at Oakland Hills. The course was in good shape thanks to good weather. And it was before the lengthening that they did before the PGA and Ryder Cup events that followed. So it was a gamey match play track.<br />
    <br />
    The match play segment featured all of these guys (the most stacked amateur tournament I've ever known):<br />
    Bill Haas<br />
    Ricky Barnes<br />
    Hunter Mahan<br />
    Ryan Moore<br />
    Kevin Stadler<br />
    Camilo Villegas<br />
    D.J. Trahan<br />
    Spencer Levin<br />
    Daniel Summerhays<br />
    Peter Tomasulo<br />
    Matt Bettencourt<br />
    Charlie Beljan<br />
    Lee Williamson<br />
    Henry Liaw<br />
    Chris Nallen<br />
    John Merrick<br />
    Anthony Kim<br />
    Joe Affrunti<br />
    <br />
    Interesting; two of the very best players that week were two guys who have not made it in professional golf; John Klauk of Texas and Dustin Bray of North Carolina.<br />
    <br />
    Chez Reavie and Will McGirt missed the match play cut.
    Posted:
  • BrockPSUBrockPSU Members  247WRX Points: 27Handicap: +0.3Posts: 247 Fairways
    Oh how sweet this course was when I was in high school, how I wish I could go back and play it again.
    Posted:
    TS3 10.5 AD DI 6x
    TS2 16.5 AD DI 8x
    716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
    716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
    716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
    716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
    SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
    SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1
    BrockPSU wrote:
    Oh how sweet this course was when I was in high school, how I wish I could go back and play it again.
    <br />
    Where do you play at now?
    Posted:
    Ping 1959 B60

Advertisement
  • 15th Club15th Club Members  2254WRX Points: 565Posts: 2,254 Platinum Tees
    I hope you will post more about the Sunnehanna. I would be about 300% more interested in witb there, than the US Open.
    Posted:
    15th Club wrote:
    I hope you will post more about the Sunnehanna. I would be about 300% more interested in witb there, than the US Open.
    <br />
    As a club ho, it was painful not getting up close on some bags
    Posted:
    Ping 1959 B60
  • Creedo77Creedo77 Members  915WRX Points: 188Posts: 915 Golden Tee
    Rapatt95 wrote:
    <br />
    The kid who played in the US Open when he was 15 is at the Sunnehanna Am today. The company I work for is a corporate sponsor so I’m lucky enough to be taking in some beautiful weather and darn good golf instead of work.<br />
    <br />
    Anyone have any good stories about seeing a future star before they made it big?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    He hasnt made it big yet but.....<br />
    <br />
    My first job was at Royal Oaks CC in Dallas TX (Justin's Leonards home course when he was a youngster).<br />
    <br />
    I moved away and came back the summer I graduated high school to earn some cash before I went to college.<br />
    <br />
    I met this 8 year old kid who was an excellent little golfer. He won many tournaments he entered in and we use to play a lot of golf together.<br />
    <br />
    Fast forward a couple years back and I see his name in the field for the Byron Nelson (he finished in the top 20 as an AM that week). I continued to follow his career path as he won the US Junior AM in 2013. He just finished a solid career at Texas, was low AM last year at the US Open and just officially turned pro last week in Memphis.<br />
    <br />
    His name is Scottie Scheffler, and I imagine he'll be a regular name on tour as he continues his career.
    Posted:
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members  1695WRX Points: 362Posts: 1,695 Platinum Tees
    My uncle is a member there. Love the course. Can't wait to play it again.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.