2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How to Become the Best Putter in the World....

I've never taken a putting lesson and probably never will. Honestly I'm kinda concerned it will mess me up, I'm a decent putter. Obviously it probably won't mess me up but the guys who get the yips and are putting all funny to overcome weird issues seem to have had a lot of coaching in putting. You can tell just by watching them, never really seen a guy develop yips who didn't get into lessons and the technique of putting

It's such a simple movement to me that doesn't warrant lessons. Maybe in green reading but that's it for me

Redjeep83. I have seen a lot of people who do not take putting lesson get the Yips!! One of the guys in a neighborhood I play with on Wednesdays is a tennis player, who has played golf for many years. He has never taken a lesson on any part of his game... of course his HCP is 15. About 2 years ago he developed the Yips... is was not fun to watch him miss very short putts. His frustration became very high... so he decided to change his grip.... and like a miracle the yips went away. The yips can happen to anyone...lessons or no lessons.

BTW if you take putting lessons from someone who really knows putting, like a David Orr, Phil Kenyon, Mike Shannon, etc. it will NOT mess up your putting but only improve it. Be very careful who you take putting lessons from.... in my journey to become a better putter, I took lessons from about 5 different people, and quickly knew as the lesson progressed --they were NOT experts. They just thought they knew how to teach putting. So find someone who is highly competent. PM me if you need a suggestion.

I feel blessed in that I found two great instructors/coaches. David Orr for putting (mechanics, distance control, putter fitting, .....) and Mark Sweeney for green reading (Aimpoint). Both of these gentlemen helped me immensely.

Good luck and have fun -- it is only a game. :-)

I use to get swing lessons from kevin weeks who is known for his putting lessons. Never took a putting lesson from him though but suppose he would be best option near me if I decided. Never had an issue with it, I see it as such a simple movement and that seems to work for me, I don't take much time reading putts etc

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know exactly how you become the best in the world.

I can almost guarantee the answer isn’t “I stopped practicing putting and worrying about it” like you see every now and again around here.

If you suck at free throws you don’t skip shooting free throws to get better. You work on form, rhythm, aim, breathing and all the nuances involved in the shot. You find out why you suck and you spill buckets of sweat working on it. Same applies to putting in a sense.

JMO.

https://golfstateofmind.com/webb-simpson-putting-routine-email/

You’re welcome?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Before every competition round (Saturday club comp for hacks not tournament) I put a tee in the ground 3 foot from the hole on level ground. I then make 10 putts in a row before I leave and do anything else. After making the 10 I put a tee in at 6 feet and have 5 putts, having to make 3 before moving on. The 3 footers were becoming too easy so I now put two tees in the ground and try to hit or brush the forward tee 5 times in a row.

Amongst low double digit cappers I play with I miss far less from inside 6 feet, and almost never miss flat 3 footers. Putting has gone from a weakness to a strength.

From inside of 8 feet, I highly recommend practicing perfection..... 3 of 5 is only a 60% make rate and from that distance you would be better of making 3 of 3 before moving on. JAT

I've never taken a putting lesson and probably never will. Honestly I'm kinda concerned it will mess me up, I'm a decent putter. Obviously it probably won't mess me up but the guys who get the yips and are putting all funny to overcome weird issues seem to have had a lot of coaching in putting. You can tell just by watching them, never really seen a guy develop yips who didn't get into lessons and the technique of putting

It's such a simple movement to me that doesn't warrant lessons. Maybe in green reading but that's it for me

I agree! I have given more putting lessons than I have taken. I went to Dave Pelz school in 1995 and that is about it, but it's not the method I use... especially the path where I have a little natural arc to my stroke. The two most important mechanics is to get your eyes over the ball and keep your head still then the rest is feel/pace and alignment. I have a training aid that I am coming out with that covers these areas and it is unreal.... I have been developing it for a few years and I use one of my prototypes everyday. When it comes out in a month or two it is going to be called the PuttDoc and it truly is amazing for grooving the correct stoke and set-up.

Before every competition round (Saturday club comp for hacks not tournament) I put a tee in the ground 3 foot from the hole on level ground. I then make 10 putts in a row before I leave and do anything else. After making the 10 I put a tee in at 6 feet and have 5 putts, having to make 3 before moving on. The 3 footers were becoming too easy so I now put two tees in the ground and try to hit or brush the forward tee 5 times in a row.

Amongst low double digit cappers I play with I miss far less from inside 6 feet, and almost never miss flat 3 footers. Putting has gone from a weakness to a strength.

From inside of 8 feet, I highly recommend practicing perfection..... 3 of 5 is only a 60% make rate and from that distance you would be better of making 3 of 3 before moving on. JAT

Thanks for the drills, I'm building these into my practice.

Inside of 8 feet, do you care much about practicing breaking putts or varying the starting point, or is the main benefit in canning repeated, straightish putts?

Thanks for the drills, I'm building these into my practice.

Inside of 8 feet, do you care much about practicing breaking putts or varying the starting point, or is the main benefit in canning repeated, straightish putts?

Try to start with straight putts and you can move on to putts with little break, but you are trying to build confidence more than anything so keep the drill to 7 foot putts that break inside the cup.

Learning Aimpoint Express helped me alot with reading greens. I dont use it religiously now but it gave me a reference. I had a very hard time reading break for some time before i learned it. As far as drills, the guys at Sea Island showed me a couple that their tour guys use which are helpful, including "24", "tornado", and "string". I'm gonna try the ones at the start of this thread. They look useful. Thanks.

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

I should try those mental games. Haha. I have been playing this game for most of my life and recently got the yips for long putts. Part mental and part putter change. Had the yips once before and changing my grip solved it. Now, testing a ton of different variations of grips. Last few weeks been testing about 20 different variations of left hand low, conventional, claw. Pure madness. Haha.

I should try those mental games. Haha. I have been playing this game for most of my life and recently got the yips for long putts. Part mental and part putter change. Had the yips once before and changing my grip solved it. Now, testing a ton of different variations of grips. Last few weeks been testing about 20 different variations of left hand low, conventional, claw. Pure madness. Haha.

You should give this a shot, it helps take the hands out of it and keeps the left hand moving.... the yips are usually caused when the brain stops the left hand from moving and allows the right hand to take over. Two of the best putting instructors use it in their teaching; Mike Shannon and James Sieckmann. I've hit at least 25 putts a day with it for a few years now.

https://www.amazon.c...f/dp/B018K41T1G

3 putted the first 3 greens yesterday 38 putts in total. :-(

I hate putting

Did you hit the practice green after? Work on alignment or lag putting? Missing left or right? I bet if you topped 38 shots you might consider spending a few minutes working on that after the round?

I see it every week. Wear it like a badge of honor. Dudes hit 4 OBs off the tee and go to the range after. Hit 38 putts and hop in the car and forget it.

Putting green is always empty.

Don't tell me you can't read greens until AFTER you commit and follow through with doing all these drills every day for 90 days. Reading greens correctly only matters once you learn to aim and hit your putts where you want them to start.... if you can't start your putts on your intended line, then you might be better off not being able to read greens correctly, your odds of making the putt might rely on you making an incorrect read :).

I agree with you but will add... Pay attention dammit! With each putt follow the roll of the ball. Not hit and look away. Watching balls roll and flowing with subtle breaks will teach you to read greens.

Or... Be like the guy in our Saturday group that is always bitching that a putt "never goes that way". He's the guy that never ever pays attention to his own or other players putts.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar