Ping i200 Irons - No more custom orders??

Tommyj

Had an iron fitting last week and wanted to place a custom order for i200 irons. Was told that is no longer possible, even though you can still place custom orders for i-series e1 irons, customization also still available for G irons. Called Ping for confirmation and was told yes, that's what it is. Ping has never done this before, usually offering custom orders going back at least one, if not two generations. Also seems strange given that i210 probably won't start delivering until sometime in August.

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on what they are trying to achieve? I'm confused.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an iron fitting last week and wanted to place a custom order for i200 irons. Was told that is no longer possible, even thought you can still place custom orders for i-series e1 irons, customization also still available for G irons. Called Ping for confirmation and was told yes, that's what it is. Ping has never done this before, usually offering custom orders going back at least one, if not two generations. Also seems strange given that i210 probably won't start delivering until sometime in August.

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on what they are trying to achieve? I'm confused.

How custom are you trying to go? I placed an order 9 days ago that were red dot, -1/4, modus 105x, and they delivered yesterday...didnt bat an eye.

My opinion...just trying to have better control of inventory levels would be my guess...look at IE1 as an example there are a ton of people on here that love that iron yet even though it is cheaper price they still have more than adequate inventory of a product that was reduced 18 months ago...I25 inventory levels stayed pretty high as well long after it was reduced.

again IMO...don't think there is any funny business, it was just that popular and ran out a little faster than they thought, no need to order more now with replacement coming in just over a month

Had an iron fitting last week and wanted to place a custom order for i200 irons. Was told that is no longer possible, even thought you can still place custom orders for i-series e1 irons, customization also still available for G irons. Called Ping for confirmation and was told yes, that's what it is. Ping has never done this before, usually offering custom orders going back at least one, if not two generations. Also seems strange given that i210 probably won't start delivering until sometime in August.

How custom are you trying to go? I placed an order 9 days ago that were red dot, -1/4, modus 105x, and they delivered yesterday...didnt bat an eye.

yours was probably one of the few last sets...I got the email last thursday night about no more heads

Under construction....

Standard custom order: 5-UW, black dot, LZ 5.5, Tour Velvet grip, standard length and loft. No custom orders period, case closed. You got in just in time. Just seems odd to do that before the i210 is actually available. There's probably so little difference in the i210 that they are going to force people into buying that instead of getting a good deal on the i200.

Can you really blame Ping here? I’m sure all of their production has shifted to the new model, why invest capital in inventory for an obsolete model? Especially when most people would rather wait for the new ones anyway. It’s a tough break, but my guess is you will see more used sets pop up for good prices leading up to and after the new model release.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

I'm going to venture that when the price dropped they sold a lot of these and ate up their inventory faster than they expected.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Had an iron fitting last week and wanted to place a custom order for i200 irons. Was told that is no longer possible, even though you can still place custom orders for i-series e1 irons, customization also still available for G irons. Called Ping for confirmation and was told yes, that's what it is. Ping has never done this before, usually offering custom orders going back at least one, if not two generations. Also seems strange given that i210 probably won't start delivering until sometime in August.

This happened to me last Saturday during my fitting as well; they said i200 could not have custom orders anymore.

Fitter's guess was due to the impending release of the i210.

Mine was one of the last custom i200 orders. Fitter told me they were selling like hotcakes the two weeks after the price drop so I jumped on it. I went ahead and ordered 4 iron through U to grab a complete set. Green dot, plus 1/2 inch, power specs, DG 120 shafts. They arrived last week.

Still mint condition i200’s on the secondary market and those can be adjusted by Ping if you send them in.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 3 weeks later...

Mine just came in a few weeks ago, now I feel really lucky, and am super happy 1/2" over, white dot, x100 shafts, power spec lofts, etc... and I got them at $200 off for the set. I assumed at the time a new mode,was coming out as Ping never allows sales. I hit everything, and i mean everything (Titleist, Mizuno, Wilson, Callaway, Taylormade, and more). I really wanted to like the Titleist T-MB's. I think they are the most beautiful club out there, but they craped out for me on the short irons. I also was excited about all the new hollow irons (Taylormade, Mizuno and Ping) but none worked well for me either.

The local shop lets you hit whatever you want with a driver's license and I buy all my clubs via trial and error with off the rack spec clubs first. The pings won hands down .... again, and are the best irons I have ever hit. Long and higher than my i15s before the custom fit. I already hit the ball very high so the power spec option made sense for me. This is my third set of Ping's after suffering with Wilson Staff blades 25 years ago then I discovered Ping Zings > Ping i15 > Ping i200.

Before I committing on the final purchase, I was Trackman fitted pitting i200s vs the iBlades, and let the numbers reveal the victor without my brain or emotions clouding the choice. I went in to the fitting thinking I was going to go with the iBlades but after the test the choice was clear. I loved the looks of these clubs but truth be told I must say the new i210's are even nicer looking - great job by Ping and anyone who might have missed out on the i200's an want a custom fit; aside from $200, you won't lose much waiting for the i210's. I assume they will play and feel 95% the same.

Although a Trackman fit is expensive the local shop give a partial credit for a club purchase, and i would never consider buying another set without it. The difference the shafts make is immense, and I never would have guessed extra stiff was in play for me until the test the distance and dispersion pattern was markedly superior.

The bottom line is if you were sold on the i200's I highly recommend not compromising by getting a factory spec black dot with std lengths and the stock stiff shaft. The i210s look fantastic and maybe you have to wait another month or two, but there is no substitute for a custom build set to your specs. The extra $200 is well worth 2-3 less handicap points you'll gain in the end.

Enjoy!

BTW - do a search for Rick Shiels on you tube - I love watching his reviews. take a look at both the "2017 top 10 Irons" video as well as the "top 10 2018 irons" video that coincidentally came out today. Last year he carried iBlades in his bag. He is entertaining and very informative. I can;t wait for his i210 review, but suspect that won't be coming until the fall months at best.

Yes they have. You've just never encountered it before. Ping has enough heads but will reserve stock for those who need replacement clubs (lost, damaged or warranty) for a period of time. I210's are to be released very soon, so all orders will be for those. It does take a little time on the production floor to eliminate a line and get the staff up to speed on any changes.

If at a point in time Ping finds they have more heads on hand than may be needed for warranty work, you may find you can order a set. Which is why you can still place orders for some legacy sets.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Mine just came in a few weeks ago, now I feel really lucky, and am super happy 1/2" over, white dot, x100 shafts, power spec lofts, etc... and I got them at $200 off for the set. I assumed at the time a new mode,was coming out as Ping never allows sales. I hit everything, and i mean everything (Titleist, Mizuno, Wilson, Callaway, Taylormade, and more). I really wanted to like the Titleist T-MB's. I think they are the most beautiful club out there, but they craped out for me on the short irons. I also was excited about all the new hollow irons (Taylormade, Mizuno and Ping) but none worked well for me either.

The local shop lets you hit whatever you want with a driver's license and I buy all my clubs via trial and error with off the rack spec clubs first. The pings won hands down .... again, and are the best irons I have ever hit. Long and higher than my i15s before the custom fit. I already hit the ball very high so the power spec option made sense for me. This is my third set of Ping's after suffering with Wilson Staff blades 25 years ago then I discovered Ping Zings > Ping i15 > Ping i200.

Before I committing on the final purchase, I was Trackman fitted pitting i200s vs the iBlades, and let the numbers reveal the victor without my brain or emotions clouding the choice. I went in to the fitting thinking I was going to go with the iBlades but after the test the choice was clear. I loved the looks of these clubs but truth be told I must say the new i210's are even nicer looking - great job by Ping and anyone who might have missed out on the i200's an want a custom fit; aside from $200, you won't lose much waiting for the i210's. I assume they will play and feel 95% the same.

Although a Trackman fit is expensive the local shop give a partial credit for a club purchase, and i would never consider buying another set without it. The difference the shafts make is immense, and I never would have guessed extra stiff was in play for me until the test the distance and dispersion pattern was markedly superior.

The bottom line is if you were sold on the i200's I highly recommend not compromising by getting a factory spec black dot with std lengths and the stock stiff shaft. The i210s look fantastic and maybe you have to wait another month or two, but there is no substitute for a custom build set to your specs. The extra $200 is well worth 2-3 less handicap points you'll gain in the end.

Enjoy!

BTW - do a search for Rick Shiels on you tube - I love watching his reviews. take a look at both the "2017 top 10 Irons" video as well as the "top 10 2018 irons" video that coincidentally came out today. Last year he carried iBlades in his bag. He is entertaining and very informative. I can;t wait for his i210 review, but suspect that won't be coming until the fall months at best.

+1. Love the fit on my i200’s. Green dot, plus 1/2 inch and power spec, gold grip. (I only want slightly larger grips as I cannot hit a consistent draw with midsize grips.) I am getting excellent distance and performance. They feel so nice at impact with the DG 120 shaft. Definitely a club longer with nice high flight. The 4 iron goes 210 for me and that is usually how far I hit a 3 hybrid. My favorite attribute is you can catch them a little thin and they still go.

The 210 is very similar with a larger and softer elastomer insert. May feel slightly softer than the 200. I actually do not like it when clubs feel too soft so not a big factor to me. The ball and grips are a factor there. The 200 with a Chromesoft X or Snell MTB Red feels perfect.

Looks wise, the back of the 200 looks better to me but both are clean and attractive, just different. Fitting is worth it, so if I had to buy the 210 to get fitted, I would. The 2 degrees upright and shaft made a big difference.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Interested to hear what you think of the 105x. Interested in this shaft but can’t find one to demo or even a set or single used omicron to purchase.

For those of you who custom ordered, how long did it take to get your clubs?

My order took about 9 days. I ordered mine -.5, red dot with Modus 105R.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Does anyone know if you already have a set of i200s (5-pw) with a custom shaft option, will Ping allow you to order a single club (like 4 iron) with matching specs to your previous custom order. Also, if you loose a club and want to order a replacement, can you still do that with the custom specs? I know in the past it has been yes to both. Hoping that is still the case.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks. I’m at three weeks. Think I’ll call the dealer.

Yeah, I'm probably thinking that you are SOL and they don't want to tell you. I'm betting you get an i210.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Does anyone know if you already have a set of i200s (5-pw) with a custom shaft option, will Ping allow you to order a single club (like 4 iron) with matching specs to your previous custom order. Also, if you loose a club and want to order a replacement, can you still do that with the custom specs? I know in the past it has been yes to both. Hoping that is still the case.

Yes. I called Ping a few weeks ago and was told that replacement clubs are still able to be ordered but they aren’t taking full set orders any longer

Thanks. I’m at three weeks. Think I’ll call the dealer.

Yeah, I'm probably thinking that you are SOL and they don't want to tell you. I'm betting you get an i210.

Well that won’t break my heart. But saving some money would have been nice.