Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

There are a couple of rounds I remember as being my best. The first was on a course I played one time. It was a very difficult course...I think the slope was 144 from the tips. I was playing around a 5 handicap at the time and decided I was going to try it from the tips to get the full feel of how difficult it was. I ended up shooting a 4 over and carded a quadruple bogey on one par 3. I remember making birdie on the first two holes and sprinkled in an eagle later on a par 5. I have shot several rounds of 1 over par on much easier tracks but with the slope figured in this was probably my best.

The other round I remember was a local club tourney. I had a regular course I golfed in Atlanta which was a very short public course. The winner of the last few club championships was somewhere around par give or take a shot. I was again playing around a 5 handicap and decided to enter. I showed up for my first tourney I ever played in and I played it 2 years in a row and those were also my last two competition attempts. The first year I didn't do very well but the thing I remember about that one was somehow I managed to get picked as the first golfer off the tee for the tourney. There must have been 30-50 golfers gathered round to watch the first group tee off. Again this was my first shot at a real competition and my nerves were kicking in. I was literally shaking in my boots for the first shot with everyone watching. I don't know how but I made a bad swing but ended up finding the fairway somehow. WHEW!

The next year I was a little more composed and wasn't first off the tee. My first tee ball found the fairway again. But when I went up to the ball it was lodged in the middle of a dried up mud crack...literally half way in and half way out. I found out in this tourney just how much I knew about the rules. I wasn't sure if I had any recourse as to if I could pull it out or if I had to hit it that way. My playing partner also had no idea...so I hit it. I took as hard of a swing I ever hit with a lob wedge to try to get it out of the mud crack. I advanced it about 50 yards on the ground. My next shot was into a bunker (it was a par 5) and I ended up with a sand save par. Relief! I birdied the next hole and I was feeling much more comfortable now. I was even par after 5 holes and chipped in on the short par four 6th hole for eagle. I was at 2 under at this point and ended that first 9 with a birdie on 9 to go 3 under. I was leading the tourney. I was at 2 under up to hole 17. A short par 4 but the second shot is over water. I blocked one right and into the hazard. I started walking up because where I hit it was dried up and I thought maybe I could find it. Well I couldn't and I had to go back and really had no idea exactly where I hit the last shot from and where I should drop. The other players helped me out and I found a drop spot and hit again over the water onto the green about 15 feet from the pin. I missed the bogie put by about an inch and was back to even par. I finished 18 with a bogie to end at +1 but was in the final 2 groups for day two. I have hit +1 several times but in competition I thought it was one of my best round and could have been better. I have still never golfed a round at par or better.

Day two didn't go my way. I was missing putts (even a couple of short ones). I was out of the tourney when I got to hole 15 but I remember it well. It was a short par 5 and I was on the greenside rough in 2. I chipped up to about 2 inches to the hole and went up and tapped my ball in while my playing partners left out an audible gasp. I looked around and wondered what happened. One of the kind young men proceeded to tell me I had chipped in with the flag in the hole. I wasn't even sure what the penalty was...2 strokes added to my score. Again, I was out of the tourney already at this point but it really let me know I needed to get a better handle on the rules because I wasn't always sure of exactly what to do. I know I am supposed to pull flags when I tap in but I just forgot because normally I don't care in a casual round. Just playing casual golf I wasn't all that precise about how I took my drops and penalties. I knew the general rules but probably never concentrated on getting my drops etc precisely right. My handicap was probably a little inflated from not following precise procedures. I mean I knew hitting OB was going to be re-teed stroke plus distance etc. I knew if I went into a hazard I would have to add a stroke and drop etc. But competition golf taught me I needed to know the exact procedures on what to do and when. I am still just a casual golfer but I carry a rule book now in case I get in a tourney or something.

I look back at it as a really fun learning experience. It was embarassing but I had fun with it. It's etched in my memory like it was yesterday.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best round at a golf tournament was at the final round of Rutgers Invitational my freshman year.

Our team was only a couple shots from winning the biggest tournament in the school's history so the pressure was high for the last round for all of us.

I was extremely nervous since this was one of my first college tournaments and I felt that I had to already perform at a really high level.

Luckily I played an amazing round and finished off with a birdie on the last hole for a solid score of 66

Played at Rutgers and now you live in Sweden? Interesting. I work at RU and play that course quite frequently!

I bladed it out of the green-side bunker on the last hole. Would have gone into the Intracoastal Waterway. But nailed the flag stick straight on and dropped 1 foot from the hole. Tapped in for my first subpar round 71.

I was on a golf vacation in Myrtle Beach SC

I’ll never forget that last shot, luck was on my side.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Was all psyched up for a round on my bday a few years back.

The first 4 holes were a disaster - +4 with a 3-putt and no FIR’s.

I gave myself a talking to - I just had to drive the ball better.

Hit 9/10 fairways the rest of the day, and just had that feeling over the ball, where you know you’re going to hit it well.

Drive on 18 perfectly summed up the experience: 345 yd par 4, big dogleg left. You can carry the brush to a landing area about 295 out, leaving yourself with a straightforward pitch.

Most take an iron/hybrid and lay-up to the right, but as I mentioned, I was feeling it, and wanted to finish strong.

Gave my driver a few words of encouragement and let rip my best drive of the day.

It carried 6 inches past the brush (ball mark evidence) and capped off my best driving day ever.

Ended up with a +4 76, which wasn’t my best score to par in a round, but it was the most solid overall round I’ve ever played.

The biggest thing that stands out for my best rounds has been quality of ball striking via quiet leg action. I have had a tendency to really snap the lead leg and generally rotate too hard which just leads to terrible dispersion and contact quality. Keeping those things quiet and smooth means i'm almost never in trouble or out of position and scrambling. The next key after that is putting from 10-15ft. The former is the difference between high 70's and low 70's for me, the latter is what you need to get into the 60's.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Just coming in here to vent.

I have an index that floats around 10-12, and typically shoot mid 80s scores. Shot a 78 once, that's my best round.

Was out yesterday, striking the ball quite well, dropping putts left and right. Only a couple three putts, a bunch of 1 or 2 putts. ffwd to the back 9, and I'm +6 through 15 holes. Even when I miss shots, I've been able to scramble for par a couple times... I proceed to play the next 3 holes at 5 over par, and throw away a potential new career low round.

Silly game, this is.

Two shots stand out in my most recent really good round (1 off my best ever). A high cut with a 7 iron to a pin just over a sand trap on a par 3. I can't hit a cut...when I hit that shot, I knew I had something good going. It was hole 12.

The other shot was driver on the last hole. It's a par 5, but I can hit anything from a 6 iron to a driver off the tee (it's a dumb hole). I've been in a position to shoot a good number on this course a few times before, but always leaked oil on the way in. I said "**** it" and took a mighty lash with the driver on the last hole. It ended in position A, and at that point I knew I had it licked. Finished the job.

My game has been on the upswing, but when I get to #15 or 16 and I know I'm in a position to go really low, I tense up and start trying to steer the ball. I'm finally learning to take one less club and let it rip.

Oh, I remember mine alright. I shot a 108 on local 9 hole executive course one day after work. Everything was clicking that day...right off the bat I hit the drive of my life, found the right edge of the first cut with only 210 left on a tough dogleg par 4. Made my double and moved on. Then after only a couple of tries I finally carried the water on the par 3 second and I knew I was in for something special!

Everything went my way. Things like when I left my my ball retriever on three, but I was chased down by a course martial on the fifth who nicely returned it to me and told me "to hurry the F up." (Sweet old guy, always with the funny banter,that was how you knew he really liked you and saw you as one of the guys).

The whole round went like that...I even hit the green on the 8th in only four shots! Anyway,the by the time I dropped a really dicey two footer to make 6 on the 9th I knew I had to go around again. Posted a 55/53, and I've been chasing that feeling ever since. Still have the card on the wall of my cubicle at work. Screwed up my handicap for a while trying to fill those shoes but it was so worth it... Just flat had it that day man.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

I just shot 72 (33-39) today on a par 71 layout. Shorter not very difficult course, but you still have to keep it in play which is normally tough for me to do. I was actually disappointed at the end because I bogeyed 3 of my last 4 holes. Probably because I knew it was the best round I have ever played and that 60’s were definitely in play. What stuck out to me the most was giving myself meable par saves. My proximity to the hole on par putts had to only be around 5 feet on average. Maybe a couple instances when I had bogeys was it any farther out. I scrambled really well also if I didn’t hit the green in regulation. Almost holed a chip for eagle on a par 5, birdie on another par 4, etc.

Like a lot of guys have said previously, it was mostly a boring round of fairways, greens, and 2-putt pars until my final 3 holes. I was 1-over when I jarred a 50-footer for birdie on 16 to get back to level par. On 17, I sunk a 30-footer for par after shortsiding myself with my approach shot. So I was even par standing on the final tee, knowing I could break par for the very first time, and what did I do? Make a double bogey....Still shot my lifetime best of +2 and gained a ton of confidence in my game!

I keep pretty meticulous stats and the lowest scores/best rounds can pretty much be sorted by the GIR stat in the exact same way.

If I hit lots of greens, I have lots of birdie putts, I am not in any trouble all day and I don't have any big numbers. For me there is a measurable correlation between greens in regulation and lowest career scores...

My lowest round ever is a 77 (par 70). Two things stood out to me about that round:

1. No double bogies. I managed to miss in all the right places, and never lost a ball off the tee. Having no double bogies is my goal every round, this was one of the only times I actually accomplished it.

2. No three putts. This is the only round I've ever played where I averaged under 2 putts/hole. My chipping wasn't insane or anything, I just wasn't three putting anything that day. Every lag putt ended up inside 3 feet, and I even made a very difficult 25-footer for birdie (top 3 best putts I've ever made).

So I'd say that if one part of my game truly stood out that day, it was putting, but that day I really managed to elevate my whole game to a level I haven't seen before or since. I'm a 12 handicap and I'm usually pleased with an 85, considering how little I get to practice. That round did show me what I was capable of though, and I feel like I'm getting close to breaking through again.

Best 9 hole round 33 (3 under) - It was a high school match. It broke the school record by 3 shots and the opposing team had a kid who tried to pull the "I accidentally hit my ball with my putter, that's not a stroke"

Best 18 hole round was actually not my lowest scoring. I've shot sub 70 a couple of times but my even par 71 with 6 birdies, 6 bogies, an eagle, and a double I say was my best round.

I was working at a course attempting to become a teaching pro and we had a big money game put together with a bunch of former members (course was private for 80 years before going public). I was playing with the asst. pro, head pro, and his buddy. I have never had that much to drink on a golf course before. I have also never had that much fun. I've also never won that much in a skins game.

It has been very hot lately and was able to get out and play nine. Just had an awesome day. Started out birdie, so that was encouraging. Ended up shooting 40 and came so close to going lower. I felt I left a lot out there. The round went amazingly fast for some reason. The driver was on as well as the rest of the clubs. Had a blast.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I shot 28 during our 9 hole league a couple of years ago. I've gone low before, but 28 was a record for me. The two things that I remember is how it felt like I couldn't miss a putt and how I really wished it wasn't dark so I could play the back nine.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R