Exotics EX10 3 wood = wow!

monkeyboy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice a higher ball flight with my EX10 Beta 16.5, and that was with a non-stock shaft (i purchased a used head off of the bay) and put in a Matrix 8M2 stiff.

Not ballooning at all though.

You could pop that Rombax in the EX10 Beta though...remove the shaft variability.

seems like your shaft weight progression has been going lighter...

maybe Aldila 75 is too light?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

A little help here? Anyone have any insight or can direct me to a more proper thread? Thanks!

You didn't really explain anything. All you said was your launch wasn't right and it balloons? Is it launching to high? to low?

The Rogue Max shaft, regardless of how it is marketed, is not a low spin low launch shaft. Is the shaft tipped at all? most 3 woods depending on your swing speed should be tipped an inch to bring down spin.

Headweight shouldn't have anything to do with it. Possibly hitting to far down on the 3 wood or hitting it to low on the face could be the cause of the ballooning.....

Most likely are hitting it to low on the face to see the ballooning.

A little help here? Anyone have any insight or can direct me to a more proper thread? Thanks!

You didn't really explain anything. All you said was your launch wasn't right and it balloons? Is it launching to high? to low?

The Rogue Max shaft, regardless of how it is marketed, is not a low spin low launch shaft. Is the shaft tipped at all? most 3 woods depending on your swing speed should be tipped an inch to bring down spin.

Headweight shouldn't have anything to do with it. Possibly hitting to far down on the 3 wood or hitting it to low on the face could be the cause of the ballooning.....

I understood that he is fighting too high of a launch.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I understood that he is fighting too high of a launch.

But Ballooning doesn't usually occur if he is launching to high. Ballooning will usually occur when someone hits it low on the face, or hit down on the ball to much, comes out launching low and climbs to the sky.

Sorry, It was coming out lower to mid launch then it got out to about 150 or so and starts to climb -a lot- in comparison to my 904f w rombax 6w06. Thinking of trying an 80gram d+... I have the 70 in my driver right now and I’m very comfortable w it. The main use of this 3 wood will be off the tee where being able to flight it high or low is main key. I don’t hate my Titleist at all, just fig it was time for a little 10 year technology upgrade and the cult following of TEE is very real.

Sorry, It was coming out lower to mid launch then it got out to about 150 or so and starts to climb -a lot- in comparison to my 904f w rombax 6w06. Thinking of trying an 80gram d+... I have the 70 in my driver right now and I’m very comfortable w it. The main use of this 3 wood will be off the tee where being able to flight it high or low is main key. I don’t hate my Titleist at all, just fig it was time for a little 10 year technology upgrade and the cult following of TEE is very real.

If your striking it pure and are having balloon trouble, I would definitely look into a different shaft. The Diamana shafts are some of the best fairway shafts out there. The blue board has a cult like following for a fairway shaft.

Thanks for the input guys! Not sure if the shaft is tipped, fairly certain it is just factory standard however tour edge does it. My strike point may have been a little low on a few but it was a ball flight I honestly haven’t seen since I tried the OG big berthas in the late 90s(but in 98 I didn’t know any better about shaft selection other than flex that came in the club off the rack). It sounds like it’s back to the research lab (forum search) on what may work best for me. May end up putting this club on the bst board for a deal and just start over, honestly would prefer a slightly smaller footprint/ deeper ‘looking’ face if I can find one. But I might just be saying that bc I didn’t get the initial results I wanted. Again, I appreciate the feedback, one of these days I’ll be able to post a ‘the bag is set’... hopefully before 2019...

Monkeyboy, how much distance are you giving up off the tee compared to your 910 driver?

Color me interested.

Really hard to say - depends alot on quality hits vs less than perfect blows

3 wood comes out more bullet like, I feel like I can work it easier.

On average, on good strikes, I'd say my 3 wood is still roughly 20 yards behind my driver. The equalizer is that I don't always hit my driver 'pure' (or my 3 wood) therefore, my 3 wood can equal or beat my driver distances at times.

Let me just say - more tools and variety based on the circumstances. But it is good knowing that I am not giving up 40 yards on a like for like stroke with driver vs 3 wood.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 4 weeks later...
Got it on trackman today for a few swings after fitting my driver... upwards of 4500-5000 rpm, struck well. Maxed out at 255yds and it was falling out of the sky like a pitching wedge. Just bought a d+ 80x from a fellow member. Will report back in a week or two.

Finally got a day on the range w the new setup. Not sure where it was in comparison to what’s in my bag now without any yardage marked out there... but, it did feel pretty great. Ball flight was much improved and I was able to hit a few fades off the tee, something I struggled to do w my 904f/rombax setup(its a high draw machine). Off the deck is just cake. It almost makes me want to play all par 5s from the tips the next few rounds just so I have a reason to hit it.

Picked up an EX10 Beta last week, 13* with Max 75 X shaft....I don’t normally play X shafts but this one was working for me.

This thing is an absolute beast off the tee! I honestly think it out does my driver. I played it for 9 Saturday morning and there were three tee balls that put me in positions that my driver might only get on the very best strike and not even sure then. I didn’t have cause to hit it off the deck that day, but if my experience in the hitting bay is an indicator, it shouldn’t be a problem.

This is the perfect club for my minimal bag because I get the versatility of something I can hit off the deck without giving up distance off the tee not carrying an actual driver.

At $200 with a $50 rebate it’s a steal too at $150 net brand new. This might be the best value golf purchase I ever made.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

• 5 months later...

Sorry if this is an ignorant question. I’m somewhat new to the world of shafts and why all the hype and craze. So with that said, can I politely ask you all this....?

Seeing that the Ex10 lineup comes stock with Graphite Design’s Tour Ad–Di series (probably most well known for being Spieth’s go to fairway shaft) why is everyone throwing in other upgraded shafts? Further more, I’ve even seen a lot of people, when buying new, opt for the stock Recoil rather than the Tour Ad? Am I missing something?

I understand, these aren’t made to the exact same standards or tolerances as the ones bought straight from Graphite Design for $300+ But isnt a slightly cheaper/water downed version of this infamous shaft still going to provide the same sort of bend profile and overall playability characteristics as a legitimate one?

Or am an idiot for thinking this way? Should I have gone with the Recoil instead?

I’m a slower swing speed player (about 92-93 with driver on GC2 no HMT if that matters) so healthy launch is most important for me. Ideally I should have went with the 4-wood but got a great deal used. However I’m beyond pleased. On a tee peg, it’s automatic. Better yet, even off the deck, the 15* Way out performs my old 909fairway. So I’m definitely sold on their product. So much that I then went and bought an Ex10 4 hybrid at 22* same Tour AD. Sorry for the long post, just wondering if I may have left any performance on the table that I could’ve gained had I gone with the Recoil over the Tour AD?

Is there really that much difference in a real Tour Ad-Di vs the made for Tour AD, aside from weight?

Thanks guys and gals of my favorite forum ?

The stock tour ad is super light isn’t it? Like 40-50g

That alone is reason enough for me to put in another shaft

Try the stock shaft and see if it works for you

TM TP5x

The made fir’s typically are watered down versions (at least for the TEE’s)

I’m mainly basing my statement on the XCG7 beta and the made for black tie/red tie and white tie shafts

TM TP5x