Forged irons and going out of spec

tiger1873

Not sure how true it is but I have heard forged irons can go out of spec and you need to check the loft and lie a lot if you hitting them because they go out spec.

If this is true then it is safe to say that accuracy can be an issue as the irons age? At a certain point should they be replaced because accuracy is lost?

Also what about cast irons do they get the same issues?

I also heard that irons never go out spec and you could use them pretty much forever.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With forged irons they will move. It's best to get your club guy to check the lies and lofts once or twice a year depending on how much you play. They say metal has no memory but I'm not so sure. I had a set of Hogan Apex irons that would go flat 3* from 1* upright over the winter. 5 months of no golf and the irons would move. I have never seen cast clubs move but I hear it's possible.

It's never a bad idea to get the lofts and lies on your irons checked. Tour players do it on a pretty regular basis for the exact reason you just described. Patrick Reed said last year that he discovered the lofts on his Callaway blades were off by as much as 2.5 degrees per club. That's huge for a tour player and leads to big distance control problems.

With forged irons they will move. It's best to get your club guy to check the lies and lofts once or twice a year depending on how much you play. They say metal has no memory but I'm not so sure. I had a set of Hogan Apex irons that would go flat 3* from 1* upright over the winter. 5 months of no golf and the irons would move. I have never seen cast clubs move but I hear it's possible.

No they didn’t. There is literally absolutely no way this is possible. You must have had some issue with measuring them. Your clubs did not magically bend with no use.

If you hit thousands of balls all winter off of mats and you are the slightest bit steep you can bend forged clubs...perhaps a degree, maybe two if you are extremely high swing speed.

Not sure how true it is but I have heard forged irons can go out of spec and you need to check the loft and lie a lot if you hitting them because they go out spec.

If this is true then it is safe to say that accuracy can be an issue as the irons age? At a certain point should they be replaced because accuracy is lost?

Also what about cast irons do they get the same issues?

I also heard that irons never go out spec and you could use them pretty much forever.

Have them checked and adjusted once a year. They will last until you wear out the grooves.....which may be forever.

OK so it sound like they need to be checked every so often. I am also thinking if there soft enough to move then perhaps the face could bend too? I know it not as likely but perhaps I need to check that as well.

It also makes me think anything over 3 or 4 years old should probably be replaced in the general scheme of things.

As i get charged $5 per club to measure, i just measure yardage on a field with 10 balls

and look at the gaps!! No doubt my 94mph smooth driver swing is too small

to bend the Forged Mizuno or Hogans i have !!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

They definitely move if you’re hitting them a fair bit. And just quietly, I’ve had plenty of sets come from the manufacturer and the lies and lofts are off. ?

If you’re playing every week and practicing, check them once a year minimum. For $5 an iron or less, it’s chump change compared to what we spend money on for this sport.

Forged irons do move. My dad has a old set of Titleist forged blades the tour model. He pulled his five iron out at 190 and it it 220. He took them into the golf shop and the loft of his 5 iron was the same as his 2 iron. I get my irons adjusted 1-2 times a year. I try and play 2-3 times a month. The more you play the more you need adjusted. My rule of Thumb dont know why i go on this but for every 40 rounds check your irons 1 or two times a year . So if you play 80 rounds in a year you should check them 2-4 times a year is my opinion. Witch reminds me I need to get my Mp29 irons checked.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

I'm personally extremely skeptical of this idea that irons change specs I think it has more to do with people not getting consistent measurements due to a variety of factors.

This isn't some old myth. If you play/practice a lot, especially if you hit off mats or firm turf consistently, they can and will get out of spec over the course of a season. I check my specs at least 3 times a season on a machine I've owned for 15 years, so there are no measurement issues. Depending upon how much I'm playing, it's not uncommon for the clubs I'm using the most to change by a degree or more over the course of a couple of months.

As i get charged $5 per club to measure, i just measure yardage on a field with 10 balls

and look at the gaps!! No doubt my 94mph smooth driver swing is too small

to bend the Forged Mizuno or Hogans i have !!

Your swing is not too slow to have issues over time. Spend the money to get the lofts and lies checked once a year. Even if there are no changes, it's added peace of mind that your specs are correct.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

OK so it sound like they need to be checked every so often. I am also thinking if there soft enough to move then perhaps the face could bend too? I know it not as likely but perhaps I need to check that as well.

It also makes me think anything over 3 or 4 years old should probably be replaced in the general scheme of things.

Not unless you’re beating 10,000 balls a day.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Not unless you’re beating 10,000 balls a day.

If the lie and loft can bend and from the reponses I believe that it is common then that means other specs could be out of spec too.

It also means that forged irons will lose accuracy after a while and being hit and if that is the case you need to replace them also with metal fatigued it going to get worse rather then better .

What I am getting at is buying forged use irons might be a bad idea.

Not unless you're beating 10,000 balls a day.

If the lie and loft can bend and from the reponses I believe that it is common then that means other specs could be out of spec too.

It also means that forged irons will lose accuracy after a while and being hit and if that is the case you need to replace them also with metal fatigued it going to get worse rather then better .

What I am getting at is buying forged use irons might be a bad idea.

You would be incorrect. Unless the grooves are toast from someone beating 10,000 balls a day. The face doesn't bend. The reason the hosel can bend out of spec is because it is made to be bent.

The hosel is very thin compared to the rest of the club head. I believe you think the face will start to bend around the golf ball, but its just not something that has ever happened.

A weekend golfer simply has no need to replace their irons every few years, unless they just want to. New clubs are cool too, but nobody buys new clubs because the faces have bent.

Cast clubs get bent out of adjustment also, just an FYI.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Forged irons do move. My dad has a old set of Titleist forged blades the tour model. He pulled his five iron out at 190 and it it 220. He took them into the golf shop and the loft of his 5 iron was the same as his 2 iron. I get my irons adjusted 1-2 times a year. I try and play 2-3 times a month. The more you play the more you need adjusted. My rule of Thumb dont know why i go on this but for every 40 rounds check your irons 1 or two times a year . So if you play 80 rounds in a year you should check them 2-4 times a year is my opinion. Witch reminds me I need to get my Mp29 irons checked.

It’s impossible that a 5 iron “moved” 12 degrees stronger from naturally playing and practicing.

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

I don't believe forged irons go out of whack for many seasons/years if that IMO. I'll check specs when I first get a used set because you never know what lies the previous owner had/used.

I probably played close to a 1000 rounds with my old FG17 irons and never noticed anything amiss regarding gapping. I mean, I guess it could happen. The lofts metal could bend but I don't think it's common.

In my experience there are two factors in a clubs design that will influence

if or how easily loft and lie will change / go out of spec .

1) material, SC3 , 1020 and forged 8620 bend alot easier than 1025 or 1030 carbon

2) hosel to head transition, thickness and length makes a difference.

Also... In the hands of a skilled club builder that knows their machine . A loft

and lie machine can be used to measure clubs fairly accurately. I have a 6 iron

that I had bent and measured on a high dollar club auditor, to exactly 30* loft/

62* lie , I use it to check the calibration of my unit on a regular basis.

The key to accurate measurements is consistent orientation and clamp pressure.

I can measure to .5* or less with my loft and lie machince...good enough for

me.... and I am cursed with extreme builder spec O.C.D....

dam this thread.

My Mp25/mp5 set is now 2 and a half years old, getting them checked next Monday - interesting to see how the 4-9 land in spec.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

dam this thread.

My Mp25/mp5 set is now 2 and a half years old, getting them checked next Monday - interesting to see how the 4-9 land in spec.

The problem is that not knowing what there were exactly 2 1/2 years ago you won't know if/how much they've changed.

The good thing is that you can have them adjusted exactly to Mizuno's specs for those models.

dam this thread.

The problem is that not knowing what there were exactly 2 1/2 years ago you won't know if/how much they've changed.

The good thing is that you can have them adjusted exactly to Mizuno's specs for those models.

agreed. interesting to see what they are compared to spec.

I range once a week on mats at least and probably play 4 times on course a week in the summer months, so they have had a lot of use.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

1) material, SC3 , 1020 and forged 8620 bend alot easier than 1025 or 1030 carbon

Also... In the hands of a skilled club builder that knows their machine . A loft

that I had bent and measured on a high dollar club auditor, to exactly 30* loft/

The issue is that in order to measure the real lie angle the grooves aren’t sufficient. They are only ok if you want to measure how much you have bent a club.

Cast clubs it depends on what material it is cast from. A lot of the softer cast clubs will move

Now a good example of them not moving would be Ping Eye 2s those things are hard. Now I state that in the normal course of play of course if you hit a root or rock then that is another story. Some of the softer cast ie: Mizuno I have seen them move some in the normal course of play.

Now that deal with the Hogan irons that sounds bizarre to me moving 4* just sitting there. That is a new one on me

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

No you are not "cursed with OCD" you just take pride in your work. I am the same way. I also check the old school way with a level surface plate and club protractor. Like you I also have several test clubs that are not hit and check my machine from time to time. My machine is in my shop out back and NO ONE but me touches it period. I can be downright anal about my machine. I have had some of the kids at my course call me and ask if they can bend up a couple of clubs on my machine? I tell them no but bring them by and I will be glad to check and bend them myself. I do not do much work for the public anymore just my stuff and stuff for friends

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I'm aware there are cases of grooves not always being exactly horizontal to

the actual lie in relation to hosel angle. Special grinds.

But I have yet to find a OEM that does not use the grooves as their horizontal

measurement for published standard specs.

Which is why I don’t trust them and use Wishon clubs myself. Nike used to have a green machine on their tour van. If u watch Tom Wishons video on his new irons he also explains how in the forging process his irons use an extra step to make it so there’s less variance in the shape of the iron.

I’ve discussed this before on here but regardless of grinds ive found that the grooves are rarely if ever exactly parallel to the real lie angle.

Effective lie angle found by the dry eraser mark on the face, is what counts.

Shot shape will be most important factor, and angle that gives the best results

not whether or not the line is perpendicular to the face grooves.

I have multiple sets with shafts of different weights and tip profiles that

have lie angles which can vary 1.5* from set to set. Shaft droop in some of my

softer tip profile shafts makes it necessary to be bent more upright.

Builds I do for the better more discerning golfers will get the final range

dry eraser check, and lie adjustments prior to release into the wild.

It's impossible that a 5 iron "moved" 12 degrees stronger from naturally playing and practicing.

I will tend to believe my father over you he had them checked and yes it can happen

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD