Want to cut cable, best alternatives, help please!

Greyboy

I figured this may be a good place to ask this topic, a lot of bright individuals here with golf addictions :)

I'm looking to cut cable. I pay $250+ per month for a service I barely use. In reality, the only things I really watch are:

Netflix

Amazon Video

Live Golf tournament coverage

HBO & Showtime (some boxing / shows)

Any kind of live local professional sporting events (MLB, NFL, Golf of course etc...)

I currently have 3 TVs at home. One has Apple TV, one has Roku, the other just cable.

Cut to basic cable? Go with some kind of streaming service? SlingTV (I don't really get it)? Something else?

I'm open to any sugguestions, I'd love to hear what you guys have come up with, especially if you're in the same boat as I am.

Thank you in advance, it's highly appreciated!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HULU TV

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

I upgraded the internet speed and have 3 streaming services: SlingTV (just the Blue package for Golf Channel), Amazon Prime and Netlfix ... and I still come out cheaper than just internet and cable. I also have an HD antennae for the locals. It's very easy to navigate between these 4 options with LG's interface. Screw cable!

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

I upgraded the internet speed and have 3 streaming services: SlingTV (just the Blue package for Golf Channel), Amazon Prime and Netlfix ... and I still come out cheaper than just internet and cable. I also have an HD antennae for the locals. It's very easy to navigate between these 4 options with LG's interface. Screw cable!

What kind of HD Antenna?

I have the Direct TV Now streaming service. I have the 100 channel package (includes golf channel) for 60.00 a month and they sent me a free amazon fire box. They are in the process of releasing a free 20 hour cloud dvr service so you can record your favorite shows. It is a pretty good service and there are no contracts so you can cancel anytime you want.

What kind of HD Antenna?

I got the “Amazonbasic Ultra Thin Indoor Antenna 50 Mile Range”, but there are plenty of good ones in the market. You do need to find the digital tv gov website that shows the direction and distance of the broadcast signal from your house so that you know where it install it and how much range you need.

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

anyone know how to set up DVR system without cable. I'd like to record golf events or other events on local tv. wasn't sure how best to go about this.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

anyone know how to set up DVR system without cable. I'd like to record golf events or other events on local tv. wasn't sure how best to go about this.

This article lays out the options:

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/great-dvrs-for-recording-shows-after-you-dump-cable-tv/

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

https://www.setvnow.com/

Just check it out.....

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 8* - Tensei White Pro 70TX

Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood (14*) - Kai'Li White 80x (tipped extra 1/2")

Callaway UW 17* - Kai'Li White 90TX

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3 (20*) - Kai'Li White 100TX

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-9 - KBS Tour V 125 S+

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 55 & 60 - KBS 610

TaylorMade Spider S Platinum Single Bend - KBS CT Tour Matte Black shaft

• 2 weeks later...

I've had PlayStation Vue, Amazon Prime, and Netflix running on Firetv sticks for the last year or two. We have 5 TV's in the house and PS Vue is the only service that allows that many concurrent streams. I think SlingTV can go up to 4. Most others are 2 from what I remember. Kids have plenty of content and I get all the sports I want. I wish they still had MTV/MTV2/VH1 for my wife, but she hasn't complained.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Do the math and see if it's even worth it any more. The streaming services are nearly at cable pricing with Vue coming in at $40 a month. If you have to upgrade your internet to support all the streams and/or invest in streaming devices for every TV it may not offer a cost benefit or the ROI will be a long time.

Do the math and see if it's even worth it any more. The streaming services are nearly at cable pricing with Vue coming in at $40 a month. If you have to upgrade your internet to support all the streams and/or invest in streaming devices for every TV it may not offer a cost benefit or the ROI will be a long time.

This, I cut the cord and then plugged it back in.

Where is cable $40?

Where is cable $40?

Bundle pricing? I have Comcast with 3 DVRs 400mbps internet and pay $130/mo after tax.

That’s incredible. Any cable lineup worth a fudge here is $200 inc internet once you pay the fees for a box for each tv, dvr, etc.

My bill was $230 for Centurylink Prism, we did opt for a few extra channels. We could have gotten away with $210 if not for that. Now $40 for internet and $65 for DTV Now. One time investment for 2 fire sticks and we’re rolling.

I've got YouTube TV. 40 dollars a month, good sports coverage overall including golf channel. Run it on a Roku, plus I can watch Thursday and Friday

PGA coverage at work in a browser.

Second this. YouTube TV has been perfect for me, and the native app for my Roku TV means no need to cast from a tablet or Chromebook any more. Has everything I need to watch golf, soccer, and college football. We also have Amazon Prime, and my wife likes Netflix. I'd turn off Netflix myself, but it's just a few bucks for her to have a few things she likes to watch so it's all good.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

The big difference for me was equipment rental fees. For 5 tv's in our house, we were paying about $40/mo in box rental fees and only 2 of the boxes had HD/DVR. We already had a few FireTV sticks for Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube/Pandora/etc, so our monthly combined cable/internet bill dropped by $80/month, and that was the Comcast promo package which was ending so it would have been about $30 higher now.

But I agree, doing the math is vital. In certain situations you may not save a dime by cutting the cord.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

The big difference for me was equipment rental fees. For 5 tv's in our house, we were paying about $40/mo in box rental fees and only 2 of the boxes had HD/DVR. We already had a few FireTV sticks for Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube/Pandora/etc, so our monthly combined cable/internet bill dropped by $80/month, and that was the Comcast promo package which was ending so it would have been about $30 higher now.

But I agree, doing the math is vital. In certain situations you may not save a dime by cutting the cord.

That is where I was originally saving money as well, but the increased internet speed cost has eaten up a lot of it

That's incredible. Any cable lineup worth a fudge here is $200 inc internet once you pay the fees for a box for each tv, dvr, etc.

My bill was $230 for Centurylink Prism, we did opt for a few extra channels. We could have gotten away with $210 if not for that. Now $40 for internet and $65 for DTV Now. One time investment for 2 fire sticks and we're rolling.

Yeah I'm in Phoenix and am paying about $200 a month, maybe slightly more, for Directv and Cox internet. We have Cox's high speed internet and pay something like $50 a month.. everytime I run a speed test its over 100mbps.. sometimes close to 200mbps. I use a couple of different tools to run the speed test and they give completely different results but they are all generally at 100mbps or above.

I'm thinking about making the jump to youtubetv as Directv is has become hot garbage since ATT took them over. Terrible user interface, buggy software, issues with simply changing channels... its become horrible in the past 12 months.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...

HD antenna works great for me. They're no more than 25$ on Amazon and you'll get 25 or so channels and all of the major sporting events. The rest Just depends on the packages/services that you go with. YouTube/DirecTV/Netflix/Hulu, either way you're going to have to pay something on top of your internet fee.

G 9 HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
TS2 S+ 80x
915f P95x
919 Tour 4-P KBS Tour 130
VR Forged 52/56/60 S400
O Works 3T

• 4 weeks later...