I have a sickness!! Old blades, new shafts

Ok, so I have a self diagnosed sickness called classicbladitis. I like old blades. I like new shafts. I like to put new shafts in old blades, and lead tape to get SW where I like it and add new grips. My hope was to get an old familiar set playable by "modern" standards. My last try was good if any of you recall the Tommy Armour MacGregor 985's that I cut down the hosels, added new shafts, lead tape, new grips. They are super solid, but have a tendency to dig. So I found a set of 1962 Dynapowered irons with the turf rider sole. I played the 1961 Dynapowered for several years and liked them. I actually had a 1962 as the PW to that set that I liked the best. So I have 1 iron through pitching wedge coming in the mail. I will re-shaft them, lead tape them, apply new grips and see how they do. I'm hoping to get a Mira baby blade type iron for the cheap. In other words, small, forged head that cuts through the turf w/out excessive digging, new shafts (Nippon 1050gh stiff), new grips, and fairly heavy (D5) swingweight.

With all that effort, I'll most likely still play my TEE CB Pro Tungsten irons as they are rocket launchers with ridiculous forgiveness. After all, this is a game of how many, not how!! YMMV.

$$$$

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same reticence about reshafting old Pings, since Karsten specifically designed his shafts as well as heads. Having said that, a ton of people have had great results and fine tuned the feel of their clubs by swapping in different shafts. Early Pings almost invited that level of modification, since there was no choice in flex available as standard.

I suppose I should feel the same way about Hogans designed around the Apex shaft, which I get on well with anyway. But I had no hesitation in pulling apart a motley set of redlines and rebuilding them with Apex 4s, and they play great. And a set of '58 Sabers were transformed when I eventually got the right shafts into them. I bought them knowing that the Pro Fit A flex would probably need changed, but they really felt just horrible to hit. I then put in some s300 which had been fine in other clubs, but never really gelled with the Hogans. Finally installed some regular Dynamics and they're some of my favourite irons.

I wouldn't have any qualms about reshafting a set of irons that came originally with such generic shafts as Dynamic/DG. In fact, an old set of Titleist Tour Models has acted as donors for some other projects. The only thing I would flag in reshafting Titleists is that in my experience they're built at the factory with hardwood dowels installed in the tips. I've always drilled or punched out the dowels and never missed them - but if you want to duplicate the factory build, then that's something to bear in mind.

I will change a shaft in a classic Macgregor or Hogan in the blink of an eye to get them playable for me. In fact I am luck I was not excommunicated from the classics forum for committing the ultra sacrilege. Yep I am guilty I put a set of Hogan Apex shafts in a set of VIPs. But in all honesty I do have 2 sets I will never touch the shafts in. My old man's CF4000s and the set of pristine grade A 4000s that Stickfish sent me.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Ok, so I have a self diagnosed sickness called classicbladitis. I like old blades. I like new shafts. I like to put new shafts in old blades, and lead tape to get SW where I like it and add new grips. My hope was to get an old familiar set playable by "modern" standards. My last try was good if any of you recall the Tommy Armour MacGregor 985's that I cut down the hosels, added new shafts, lead tape, new grips. They are super solid, but have a tendency to dig. So I found a set of 1962 Dynapowered irons with the turf rider sole. I played the 1961 Dynapowered for several years and liked them. I actually had a 1962 as the PW to that set that I liked the best. So I have 1 iron through pitching wedge coming in the mail. I will re-shaft them, lead tape them, apply new grips and see how they do. I'm hoping to get a Mira baby blade type iron for the cheap. In other words, small, forged head that cuts through the turf w/out excessive digging, new shafts (Nippon 1050gh stiff), new grips, and fairly heavy (D5) swingweight.

With all that effort, I'll most likely still play my TEE CB Pro Tungsten irons as they are rocket launchers with ridiculous forgiveness. After all, this is a game of how many, not how!! YMMV.

I have a set of reshafted 62’ turfriders that are awesome and think you’ll be very pleased with the result. Good luck!

Macgregor Tourney Byron Nelson 1949 stainless irons
Iron master 1952 putter
Ben Hogan Speed Slot 403 woods
Macgregor M75 Driver 1952
Wilson R90 wedge
Macgregor 3852MS Double Duty wedge
Macgregor Tourney Tommy Armour 915 1 Iron

I will change a shaft in a classic Macgregor or Hogan in the blink of an eye to get them playable for me. In fact I am luck I was not excommunicated from the classics forum for committing the ultra sacrilege. Yep I am guilty I put a set of Hogan Apex shafts in a set of VIPs. But in all honesty I do have 2 sets I will never touch the shafts in. My old man's CF4000s and the set of pristine grade A 4000s that Stickfish sent me.

No way Boss, no sacrilege in my book. In fact, installing more up-to-date shafts in many of these classic irons really wakes them up. Makes them playable. Heavy and stiff is not a good recipe for me these days.

The Apex II "Cameos" in inventory (acquired from two sources) had a hodgepodge of shafts. Had a set of Rifle FM 5.5's that I wanted to install. Little did I know, or check, but they were .370 pulls out of some Cally's. So now I had to bore out the hosel to accept them. After messing around with removing hosel pins on four of them, used the "chop and drill" method for the remainder. A whole lot easier. Look just fine, play quite nicely. Suppose it I were to ever sell them off, would have to disclose that they've been bored out.

The '99 Apex's have Nippon 950's in them that I find to be very agreeable to my swing.

Now contemplating a project of reshafting a set of '71 Wilson "Button Backs" with .370 TTDG R300 with Sensicore recently scrounged up on the very cheap. Can't say I'm all that enamored with the vintage Ultralight stiff steel shafts that are installed. Feel really stiff. Another bore job, which is actually pretty simple using a reamer, some WD-40 and a electric drill. Cost for all the components will be less than $30. Why not. Dab of "Form a Gasket" in the tip, modernized "Fluid Feels".

Even thinking about adding wood dowels in the tips. Something I've never tried, but have been reading about of late. Old school. May or may not make one iota of difference. Don't know until I try it.

Golf clubs are sporting goods implements. Not antiquities. Have no issue with changing things up to make them suitable to my capabilities. Part of the fun, quite separate from the actually playing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've always reshafted old irons, if they came with something that didn't suit me. Didn't make sense to me to try to hit a club that forced me to make compensations in my swing. I have enough problems playing this game. LOL

Sometimes I'd reshaft them just to try something different. ;)

The Apex shaft would be a great example of this. A shaft designed to hit the ball higher is something I definitely have not needed in my time playing this game. I hit the ball too high already (or did at one time), based on the famous Trackman Tour Averages floating around the intarwebs, adding to that seems less than a winning proposition. Were I to pick up a set of 99 Apex with Apex shafts, they'd be quickly refitted with DG.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'm the only one that will probably end up playing most of them, I don't care what I have to reshaft them with. I'll even ream sets out to accommodate .370 tip shafts if I think its a set I want to play quite a bit with. I need clubs that are at least an inch longer and it's easier to find shafts in that length that I can swap around between sets.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I did that with a set of Hogan Precisions, absolutely love this set! -> http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1169103-my-hogan-precisions/

Classic Precisions with KBS Tour-Vs.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

I did that with a set of Hogan Precisions, absolutely love this set! -> http://www.golfwrx.c...gan-precisions/

Classic Precisions with KBS Tour-Vs.

I love mine and the bad thing is I have not done a shaft switch yet. I did change the grips and put 1" extenders in because they were a little short for me. Shot 2 of my best rounds this year with those in the bag.

I certainly don't think it's Blasphemy to swap out shafts in old Classics but I've been fortunate in not needing to. For whatever reason I seem to get on well with most classic regular flex professional model club shafts. For me to go to the expense of swapping in new shafts to increase performance would require me finding basically pristine heads of a highly regarded model on the cheap with shafts that were a poor fit for me.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Got these

and installing

Got these

and installing

Buzz--- That looks good let me know how those hit-- I am thinking along the same lines on my 58 Mac Diamondbacks and possibly my Muirfields. Yeah I know I have too much classic stuff

Got these

and installing

Got these

and installing

Buzz--- That looks good let me know how those hit-- I am thinking along the same lines on my 58 Mac Diamondbacks and possibly my Muirfields. Yeah I know I have too much classic stuff

STU,

Have you ever hit the old MacGregor Tourney PT3 "recessed weight" with copper face?

Those look Awesome Buzzkill!

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Got these

and installing

Got these

and installing

STU,

Have you ever hit the old MacGregor Tourney PT3 "recessed weight" with copper face?

Yep I have a set of PT-2s "recessed weight" with the copper faces. Original Pro Pel 2 shafts. 2 thru 9 actually found them in one of the bins at work along with a 58 Mac Ironmaster offset putter. That was the irons in the set when I played the "all Scrap Pile" bag a couple of months ago. Shot 80 from the mid tees at Founders Club in Pawley's Island SC with them. That was the bag of clubs I played that I had less money in than most of the tourist golfers had in 2 Pro Vs brand new. Love those things. Would have them in the bag today but some back problems have crept up for me recently trying to hit stiffer shafts. So today I have my Franken Macs as Mitchell calls them in the bag. That Apex 2 is a little softer shaft and I do not have to swing as hard. I am seriously thinking about putting a set of matched R-300s I have in a set of scrapyard Snake Eyes Forged irons. I think they will hit really well for me with the R-300s

Feel Free to send me the snake Eyes if you do. I like them. ;)

Got these

and installing

Sweet mercy those look nice. Let us know how they hit.

Will do!

Those look Awesome Buzzkill!

Thanks!

Got these

and installing

Very nice. They're the 1981 model, aren't they?

I still have my 79-80 Titleists back home, and play them when I'm over. I'm actually thinking of getting them restored and putting in a modern shaft.

Yes!

Handicap:  3

I may be getting on this bandwagon myself after having the custom ‘71 Buttonback 1 iron fitted with a modern shaft. Took it out for its maiden test drive today at the range and I’ll not be carrying a wooden club in my vintage bag for a while.

I now have the 1 and PW modernized in the ‘71 setup, and, I am liking the results.

I have Mizuno MP-33 (not completely old school but blades are blades) with KBS Tour C-Taper shafts in them. I never thought they would work, but I really like them. Generally speaking, I don't think clubheads care much what shafts are in them as the head is just along for the ride.

I would wholly recommend at least giving it a try...

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Feel Free to send me the snake Eyes if you do. I like them. ;)

Did you read over in thrift store finds. I actually found the missing 8 iron to the Snake Eyes set at Goodwill last night. When I pull the shafts the heads are yours free. They are actually beautiful heads but have too much offset for me. Mitchell gave me the run down on them a while back. They are rare they are the Snake Eyes Smith and Wesson forged. I need the shafts and will be glad the heads will get a good home.Give me time in a couple of weeks and I will pull the shafts

I have Mizuno MP-33 (not completely old school but blades are blades) with KBS Tour C-Taper shafts in them. I never thought they would work, but I really like them. Generally speaking, I don't think clubheads care much what shafts are in them as the head is just along for the ride.

IMHO the 33s are one of the Holy Grail sets of all time. Believe it or not they are some of the most sought after of Mizuno blades. I loved mine I played them until they wore out

IMHO the 33s are one of the Holy Grail sets of all time. Believe it or not they are some of the most sought after of Mizuno blades. I loved mine I played them until they wore out

Agreed 100%. I'm on my fourth set. I wore out 2 sets completely and sold my 3rd when I switched to something more forgiving as I played less. I missed them too much so bought another set in pretty good shape online. I still search online every week or so for that elusive "played once or twice" set of MP-33.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Agreed 100%. I'm on my fourth set. I wore out 2 sets completely and sold my 3rd when I switched to something more forgiving as I played less. I missed them too much so bought another set in pretty good shape online. I still search online every week or so for that elusive "played once or twice" set of MP-33.

I will tell you something else and over on some of the main club forums especially the JDM ones I would probably be flamed to hell and back but trust me this is true. Those 33s hit as smooth and "buttery" as any Miura blade. As a strictly feel player I can not tell the difference at all between a set of 33s and ANY Miura blade