New Rogue X irons

jjfcpa

Increasing the club head size is one thing. It does not make sense to Jack the lofts for beginners and higher handicaps.

I agree. IMO these clubs for someone who has lost distance due to age or injury.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increasing the club head size is one thing. It does not make sense to Jack the lofts for beginners and higher handicaps.

I agree. IMO these clubs for someone who has lost distance due to age or injury.

Well then this must be the majority of golf consumers. It seems to me that you can't get an sgi set with decent shafts, they all seem to have light high launch and spin shafts. So here I am, I can't find the center of the club face but have a decent swing speed with an aggressive transition. I have to pay top dollar to have them ordered or play a set of tinny headed players clubs.

I've seen way too many young bucks that have plenty of swing speed playing TM M2 and M4 irons that have plenty of swing speed. Why are these players sacrificing distance control for additional distance that they IMO do not need. Is it the way they are marketing of these types of clubs that cause this ???

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Well then this must be the majority of golf consumers. It seems to me that you can't get an sgi set with decent shafts, they all seem to have light high launch and spin shafts. So here I am, I can't find the center of the club face but have a decent swing speed with an aggressive transition. I have to pay top dollar to have them ordered or play a set of tinny headed players clubs.

Callaway has a nice selection of custom steel shafts for the Rogue and Rogue X.........Dyn Gold in all flexes are no upcharge. I've custom ordered several sets of irons from their website.........custom lies, grips, and shafts. Always had them in less than 10 days.

Callaway has a nice selection of custom steel shafts for the Rogue and Rogue X.........Dyn Gold in all flexes are no upcharge. I've custom ordered several sets of irons from their website.........custom lies, grips, and shafts. Always had them in less than 10 days.

Yeah, but if you order you have to pay retail and unfortunately I don't get that money back in enjoyment so I won't pay retail. I for one think the golf industry is out of hand, $2000+ for a set of irons, who's paying that?

Apex CF16 irons are not easy to replace. I went with M4 irons for my distance clubs. I have a set of GBB OS irons, and the shaft was hard to load, F2, not the Atmos shafts. Okay, we are waiting for"the rest of the story," good or bad!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Played my first round with the Rogue X, Recoil light shafts, cut down 1/2 inch and 1 degree flat last Saturday (6/16/2018).

Maybe it was just because I wasn't quite used to them, but I felt a certain bit of anxiety when I pulled them from the bag. I intentionally club up one club because of the higher lofts and still seemed to get more distance than I was getting with the CF 16's. The problem was, I found myself trying to increase my swing speed and had a few mishits. However, even the mishits did not lose much distance and those that I did hit flush were very nice.

My expectations were probably higher than they should have been because after the round I felt that I needed to play a few rounds just to get them dialed in. I did get some time hitting them in a hitting bay and started to feel very comfortable with them. I definitely had fewer mishits after spending a little time with the 5, 7, and 9 iron in the bay.

I play another 9 holes with them tomorrow morning and I'm very much looking forward to trying them again.

I was hitting a few shots to the left and thought perhaps because they are physically longer, perhaps I should have gone 2 degrees flat, but after hitting them in the bay, I don't think that was the problem... I think it was me trying to get more than I should of out of the clubs by trying to swing too hard.

These clubs feel very comfortable in your hand and just feel like they should send the ball a mile. When hit flush, I believe they will deliver what I'm looking for.

By the way, Callaway must have engineered these so that even the lofts are less, I don't see any reduction in the apex of my ball flight. They also seem to get adequate spin to stop the ball when hitting the green.

It took me a month or more to adjust to the Apex CF16's - I was playing Steelhead XR's prior to the CF 16's - and I'm guessing it's going to take a few rounds to get my confidence where it should be with these clubs.

How would compare the spin to your CF16's ???

I demo the rogue x and standard rogue . I was also interested in the X as I getting to the point at my age I could use a little extra distance. I tried the M4 irons but they were long just but not for me , just couldn't get on with them at all.

Back to the Rogues .. I found both felt and sounded very good. For my swing the X ball flight was just to low for me really long ,doubt I could hold very many greens, they are a a bit to bulky looks wise for my taste . Now the standard Rogue was perfect nice high ball flight , workable could knock it down if I wanted ,found the size more ideal , I hit both with the Aldila graphite and Kbs max shafts. I ended up ordering the standard Rogue with r flex Kbs 90's . They are a good club shorter than the X and maybe the M4 but have enough distance over my old XR set. I hope they get here for this weekend.

I am in no way knocking the the X but just didn't fit my swing but I could really see others benefiting from the X irons, worth checking out for sure.

gb

I demo the rogue x and standard rogue . I was also interested in the X as I getting to the point at my age I could use a little extra distance. I tried the M4 irons but they were long just but not for me , just couldn't get on with them at all.

Back to the Rogues .. I found both felt and sounded very good. For my swing the X ball flight was just to low for me really long ,doubt I could hold very many greens, they are a a bit to bulky looks wise for my taste . Now the standard Rogue was perfect nice high ball flight , workable could knock it down if I wanted ,found the size more ideal , I hit both with the Aldila graphite and Kbs max shafts. I ended up ordering the standard Rogue with r flex Kbs 90's . They are a good club shorter than the X and maybe the M4 but have enough distance over my old XR set. I hope they get here for this weekend.

I am in no way knocking the the X but just didn't fit my swing but I could really see others benefiting from the X irons, worth checking out for sure.

gb

I had a similar experience with the Rogue X. The Rogue X was ridiculously long for me. IIRC they were about 7 yards longer than the G700's and P790's. The Rogue X peak height was similar to my Steelhead XR's and the spin on the 7 iron was in the mid 4000's. With those spin numbers, for my game, I would want something with a higher peak height and better decent angle.

My goal of selling my P790 irons did not pan out so I traded them in for something extremely forgiving. Tried the G700's, Rogue, Rogue X, and Cleveland launcher HB irons. I thought the Rogue X felt a little harsh and it came down to the PING and Cleveland. I had better numbers with the Cleveland irons and went with them. Got a ridiculous good amount for my trade.

First off, great work on getting started with golf and doing so well with lessons.

I'm not surprised you have trouble hitting the 5 iron at 24 degrees loft with your swing speed.

Have you tried a hybrid, say 24-25*, built with the same shaft as your irons and cut to match the length of your irons?

That could be a big help for your consistency with the hybrids.

The 5-iron in the Rogue X is 21º.

In other words, a 3-iron at 4-iron length with a "5" stamped on the club. How does the target audience (someone with a slower swing speed who wants pure distance) even get the ball in the air?

Exactly. I know a few folks who have the M2's. The 5-iron is 21.5º and they have a lot of trouble getting it airborne. I think with sets like that the average golfer should start with a 6-iron, or maybe even a 7.

Don't quote me on this but I think Tom Wishon said that 30 degrees should be the lowest iron loft for the average Joe.

Yes. I do carry a 26.5 6 iron that is easy to hit though. After that I carry 3-5 hybrids , Baffler XLs which I will keep in the bag as long as they aren’t damaged.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

:swoon: it appears Jifcpa has lost faith in his new purchase

Indeed it does look that way. I'd question the logic of going back to the CF16's so quickly though. It takes a month or two to explore what you can and can't do with a new set of irons and particularly the SGI sets like Rogue X you need to put the time in. That way when it comes to crunch time there's no surprises with fliers, low trajectory etc.

I'd give the CF16's to someone for safe keeping so that you can at regularly with the Rogue X with a clear mind.

had some interest in the rogue x but was looking for a more positive review by Jifcpa

Many people say they are looking for more distance, but at the end of the day it's just a number on the bottom of a club. Sure you may be a club longer with your new irons, but the lofts are club stronger too. For those looking for more distance, just use more club, because ultimately that 7 you are now hitting used to be your 6. In any case, I see irons more as scoring clubs, not distance clubs.

Club design used to be an engineering thing, now it seems to be a marketing thing.

For a slow swinger, I hit the 7 iron on an LM and was astounded. The LM said 164 yards which I take with a grain of salt but the club felt good and was on target consistently. This club is longer then my 6 hybrid and seemed more controllable with more consistent strikes. Will have to try these again before seriously considering.

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Titleist u505 2 iron / Srixon ZX4 4 iron /   / Titleist Wedges-S Grind / SeeMore M7x 

For a slow swinger, I hit the 7 iron on an LM and was astounded. The LM said 164 yards which I take with a grain of salt but the club felt good and was on target consistently. This club is longer then my 6 hybrid and seemed more controllable with more consistent strikes. Will have to try these again before seriously considering.

That 7 iron is a 5 iron at 6 iron length with a 7 stamped on it.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 10.5* with Tensei Blue 65S

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 19* with Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade RSI 2 6-PW-AW-SW with PX Flighted 6.0

Putter: TBD

That 7 iron is a 5 iron at 6 iron length with a 7 stamped on it.

I hear you and you're correct. All I'm saying is that consistent, good contact is key for me and I'm much more consistent with my 7 iron (shaft length contributes) vs 5/6 iron or even my 6 hybrid.

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Titleist u505 2 iron / Srixon ZX4 4 iron /   / Titleist Wedges-S Grind / SeeMore M7x 

What's difference between rogue and epic irons

I don't think there's much difference in specs but price is a big difference. Also, the Rogue X irons have much lower lofts than the standard models which contributes to more distance.