Travel Cases: Hard Case vs Soft Case

2»

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,498 ✭✭
    Softcase with stiff arm, take off all my wood heads, put them in towels and stuff them in my actual golf bag. Cover my iron heads with another towel and rubber band that around my golf bag.

I like the idea of a hard case but I imagine they are a bit heavier and take up more room in my house. I like I can kind of condense a soft bag down a bit. So far no issues.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    Rogue Tour Blue 85x or 818H2 Tour Blue 85x
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 Modus 125 Wedge (Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Sigma 2 Tyne
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,332 ✭✭
    grochol17 wrote:

bellsy13 wrote:

With those club glove travel bags, how much "other stuff" such as clothes can you fit in it? I've read there isn't much room and I'm wondering if I can take a carry-on and this for a 3 wk getaway back home to Ontario.

I've got a hoofer with the club glove that is sized for that bag. You could probably fit a few days worth of clothes, but I doubt three weeks unless you do some creative packing.

See my post above about being asked to remove everything that wasn't golf clubs from my travel case last time I flew. If you want to try to get all your clothes for your trip into your travel case pack an empty duffel bag in there as well, just in case.
  • Katke87Katke87 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I've used Club Glove for 20+ years. Found that hard cases don't fit in a lot of rental cars and taxis
    Callaway GBB Epic driver, 13.5°Diamana M40, A flex
    Callaway GBB Epic 5 wood, 19°, Fubuki Z65, A flex
    Tour Edge XCG6 3h (19°), Graphite Design Tour AD 52g, A flex
    King Cobra Baffler 4h (23°), Aldila NV-HL, A flex
    Titleist 718 AP1, 5-gap wedge, Tensei CK series, A flex
    Callaway 2017 PM Grind 56°/13° & 60°/10°, KBS Tour-V, wedge flex
    All grips Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0, Bettinardi/Lamkin deep etch grip
    Ping 4 Series bag
    Headcovers Stitch, Jan Craig, Fore Ewe, Winston Collection
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Rovic & Clicgear push carts
  • IsleOfManIsleOfMan Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    edited Jun 11, 2018 #35
    I use a hard case for air travel purely because the airlines will cover equipment damage ONLY if you're using a hard case. I've had an SKB that was either dropped on the side or had something else dropped on it to the point that it bend the aluminum ring/frame and bend the legs of my stand bag. Since it was a hard case they (Delta) replaced the case (directly through contract with SKB, even though SKB would have replaced it themselves if I'd needed them to) and reimbursed me for replacing the bag (up to $250 even though it was an old $90 stand bag). If I'd been using a soft case they would have done nothing and I probably would have had extensive club damage as well. It was also a fairly painless process for both the SKB replacement and the stand bag reimbursement.

While SKB cases are great, I probably would never pay their prices for a new one. I was lucky enough to have found an older one at Goodwill for ~$7 and I'm glad I had it when the incident above occurred. Knowing what I know now, if I didn't have the SKB, I'd buy SOME sort of hard cases, even an inexpensive one (like this Plano model) purely so the airline would cover any damage.
    Cobra King F8+ Driver 10.5* | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S
    Cobra King F8 3/4w 14.5* | Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
    Cobra King F8 5/6w 17.5* |
    Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font] 4h 22* | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S
    Cobra Bio Cell + 5i - Gw | TT Dynalite Gold XP S300
    Cobra King WideLow 56* & 60* | TT Dynamic Gold S200
    Cleveland TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB Putter | 35" Counterbalance
    Ogio OZone Cart | Ogio Shredder Stand
    | Orlimar Pitch & Putt Stand
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Samsonite with a stiff arm: not expensive, has held up well, a bit hard to pack because of the single zipper (put the driver in after the bag is already in, then extend the stiff arm). Rolls well with 2 skate wheels. Not too heavy to pull IMHO. I don't use the outside pockets. Comes with a small duffel and a shoe bag. I use the shoe bag.

Ping with stiff arm: Had a store credit and didn't need anything else at the time. Loads easily and rolls well upright on 4 wheels. Haven't traveled with it yet.
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Members Posts: 1,046 ✭✭
    Club Glove Last Bag user with a stiff arm. I've never had a problem, I can take two pairs of size 14 shoes in there as well and still have room for souvenirs and some clothing. If they're good enough for the guys that play this game for a living and travel for 30+ weeks of the year, they're good enough for us.
    TS 3 8.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-TaperLite
    Mizzy MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
    Scotty Newport 2.6, 34" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 877 ✭✭
    I've had the same hardcase for over a decade now. I've flown with it MANY times. Never had a problem. It's somewhat heavy and a little cumbersome but I have yet to encounter a taxi it was impossible to fit in.
    GO DAWGS