Ben Hogan Ft Worth Irons - opinions

edhong1

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey edhong1,

I have a set of these: 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43 Ft Worth irons, then to the TK wedges: 48, 53, 58, 63. which I bought in April 2015.

You should have a consistent ball contact, and like bladed, or near bladed clubs. The irons play great, feel really solid on contact, slide through the turf well to give a lovely consistent trajectory. Pretty easy to shape the ball, or hit it higher or lower off decent lies. Quality clubs.

They have stopped making the TK wedges (a real shame), but have brought out a new "Ft Worth Black" model which look good. Hopefully, they will make matching wedges, too.

They were sending out Demo Clubs in the mail to try within the USA - I don't know whether they are still doing that?

Very nice clubs. I almost bought them when I demo’d them 2 years ago but went with the PTx. A bit more perimeter weighted. Psychologically a little easier to play, but I will say that the Fort Worth’s were not nearly as “bladey” as you might think. There is some significant Perimeter weighting going on that’s just well hidden. Very solid feeling and nice piercing ball flight. If you need a little help elevating the ball, they might not be for you. You may want to try the PTx or even the new Edge.

I may go ahead and buy the black model they just came out with. Throw some black KBS $ Tapers in them. Slick.

You can demo a mid and short iron for the cost of shipping. $20 buys you two weeks to try them and a prepaid return tag to send them back.

I knew I was ordering the PTx after about 10 minutes on the range. Love at first swing.

Hey edhong1,

I have a set of these: 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43 Ft Worth irons, then to the TK wedges: 48, 53, 58, 63. which I bought in April 2015.

You should have a consistent ball contact, and like bladed, or near bladed clubs. The irons play great, feel really solid on contact, slide through the turf well to give a lovely consistent trajectory. Pretty easy to shape the ball, or hit it higher or lower off decent lies. Quality clubs.

They have stopped making the TK wedges (a real shame), but have brought out a new "Ft Worth Black" model which look good. Hopefully, they will make matching wedges, too.

They were sending out Demo Clubs in the mail to try within the USA - I don't know whether they are still doing that?

Their website shows the TK Wedges available for order

TS3 9.5* Ventus  Black 60X
TS3 15*  Ventus Black 80X
716 TMB 3 C-Taper Lite X
718 AP2 4-9 KBS Tour X
SM7 47* 51* 55* 59* KBS Tour X
Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

Just echoing what has already been said. Very forgiving set of blades with excellent turf interaction and a piercing ball flight. Over the ball they look and play more like a players cavity than a traditional blade. I have a set of both and the blacks are easily the most beautiful set of irons I've ever had. Definitely at or near the top of the list for blades in the US market.

Never hit them, but...

wanted to like them, however "very" limited shaft offerings...buying stock then reshafting would be cost prohibitive.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 2 weeks later...

My set of Hogan Fort Worth Black irons arrived a few days ago. One extended range session and 18 holes with them so far.

Absolutely gorgeous to look at. Black UST Recoil shafts are an awesome match with the black heads.

Took a gamble on shafts due to unavailability of demo clubs and hit it bang on. F2 flex is what I need at this stage of a long golf career and they're going straight and high.

Longer by half a club in the P-9-8 than the TM PSi 760s I have been playing. Other lofts pretty much right on the TMs for distance although flying higher with seemingly less spin throughout.

Added bonus is that the P wedge acts as a very serviceable club for chipping; I think the V-sole definitely helps with turf interaction off tight lies around the green.

Purchase was seamless; delivery to Canada took a bit longer than expected but not a biggie.

First set of Hogans for me, so the discovery of the pure feeling of a well struck shot was much as I have heard it described by you longtime Hogan aficionados.

Looking forward to a longer breaking-in process but they're in the bag now!

PING G400 10 degree driver
Srixon Z F85 15 degree fairway wood, HZRDUS Red 5.5 
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Rescue 3, RocketFuel M flex, 19 degree
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Rescue 4, RocketFuel M flex, 22 degree
Callaway Rogue X irons 5-P, graphite shafts
PING Glide 3.0 52 degree
PING Glide 3.0 58 degree
TaylorMade Spider putter
Titleist ProV1x 

This is my 3rd season with mine. I played VR Pros for a few years before my FW15's, and old Hogan's before that. Most forgiving blade I've ever hit--they're on the larger side, not a true butterknife. Longer and higher than my VR Pros, same specs, and very easy to hit. I think only the iBlade is easier to hit in this bracket of clubs. A couple are starting to brown, and if that weren't the case I wouldn't be looking at other stuff. Odds are I'll end up with FW Blacks next year.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

Not a fan of the v sole...love, love their look, just gorgeous. It felt like the club ‘bounced’ off the ground tho surely that isn’t the case...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Ive got a set of Ft. Worths as well as the TK15 wedges. Love the look. I think they are the best looking clubs I’ve ever seen. Very easy to hit for a compact clubhead. Definitely play more like a players cavity than a blade. Very nice feel but definitely not as good a feeling as my KZG Forged Cavities. I really like the v-sole. It really makes the club play like the sole is wider than it is, no digging or fat shots. I’ve shafted mine with KBS C-Taper Lites and they get a nice high flight.

Unfortunately the original Ft. Worths are now discontinued along with the TK15 wedges. I asked a Hogan Rep if they were going to make a black TK15 wedge to match the Ft. Worth Black irons and they said no.

They look nice. My first set of 'good' irons were Hogan Apex around 1970. If I didn't have fairly new set of Ping irons I would be tempted to try again.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

• 4 weeks later...

I was fortunate enough to pick up a set of the Fort Worth Blacks here on the BST for a stupid low price. They came with the Recoil ES 780 F4s and while I’d never played Recoil shafts before I gotta say they feel amazing. I am coming from the 714 AP2s and these are some of the best looking, best feeling irons out there. Although I did ditch the 4 and 5 iron and got some Fort Worth HI irons in 23/26 to replace them (those butter knives were just too much for me) and I have a set of TK wedges on the way. I’m usually not one for having a full set of clubs all the same brand, but with these Hogan clubs I’m all in!

For the price directly from the company, you cannot beat them. Oh and a little awesome note, I contacted them about getting some ferrules for when I reshaft some of the clubs and they said they will send some out for just shipping costs. Their customer service seems extremely helpful and dedicated to actually serving you.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I just procured a set of the Fort Worth Black and as noted above, they are ridiculously pure when you hit them. I have them in the KBS Tour V 120 X and they are pin seekers; coming from the 6.0 PX LZ, they are definitely more true and much less whippy. I am in a conundrum b/c I am still not sure if I am going to move on from my MP5's and I don't want to have two brand news sets laying around, so one of them will be leaving soon. If anyone is interested in trying them, send me a PM; open to trade or moving on at a discount.

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

Picked up some of these also this week from Roger Dunns in excellent condition, wasn't even looking for them just stumbled across them the they were a crazy good deal. Played one round so far and as a mid capper I did not find them hard to hit, any bad shot was my fault and no club would have saved the shots. Hit a lot a shots that felt like butter, distance loss on off center hits were not bad either.

I'm amazed as the price has plummeted on these, very beautiful irons.

Great clubs. Played them for the better part of two years and absolutely loved them but when I thought they weren't going to be around any longer I purchased a set BB's which have taken over top spot in my bag for now. I still have my original set and still keep a couple clubs in play on a regular basis. They were much easier to play than I anticipated.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Driver - Cobra Fly Z with Oban red[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Wood - Adams 16*[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Hybrid - Calloway X2 Hot Pro 19*[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 4 Iron - Hogan Ft Worth Hi - KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Irons - 5-PW - Miura 1957 BB - Nippon Pro 1050GH - R Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Wedge 51* - Hogan TK [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Wedges 55* & 59* - Miura 1957 C Grind - KBS Wedge - S Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Putter - DeLaCruz CP-2[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]

If I was looking for a new set the Blacks would be near the top of the list.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Only have one of the TK wedges, a 59 I like for delicate shots around the green that it is perfect for due to its compacf shape and low leading edge. The wedge design is excellent. If you find larger heads make short pitches more difficult, you should get one of these if you can find them. A nimble, nicely balanced club and very precise.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 4 months later...
My set of Hogan Fort Worth Black irons arrived a few days ago. One extended range session and 18 holes with them so far.

Absolutely gorgeous to look at. Black UST Recoil shafts are an awesome match with the black heads.

Took a gamble on shafts due to unavailability of demo clubs and hit it bang on. F2 flex is what I need at this stage of a long golf career and they're going straight and high.

Longer by half a club in the P-9-8 than the TM PSi 760s I have been playing. Other lofts pretty much right on the TMs for distance although flying higher with seemingly less spin throughout.

Added bonus is that the P wedge acts as a very serviceable club for chipping; I think the V-sole definitely helps with turf interaction off tight lies around the green.

Purchase was seamless; delivery to Canada took a bit longer than expected but not a biggie.

First set of Hogans for me, so the discovery of the pure feeling of a well struck shot was much as I have heard it described by you longtime Hogan aficionados.

Looking forward to a longer breaking-in process but they're in the bag now!

do they come with the UST recoil black?

Just got a set of the blacks from a member here, came with the Recoil 780 Smacwrap shafts... I know little to nothing about them other than they look really cool with the heads. I may be pulling them though, they just feel too light to me and I prefer a more mid flight. Graphite iron shafts always seem to fly high on me, I like the more piercing trajectory from some of the steel offerings out there.

I will say, the heads are a beautiful design and look great set down by the ball. Thin and sleek, but long enough heel to toe that they don't quite look scary. I love the thin sole and the looks of lacking offset. Seriously nice clubs, can't wait to get them out on the course.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I had two sets which I liked.

Personally, I think they tend to be picky with shafts.

I can handle most of 'stiff' shaft in general with the other heads. But, with this set, I get more sensitive on the shafts.

Feedback is great.

Looks amazing.

And, honestly, it is not forgiving.

Titleist                   TSR3 Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Ping                       G430 3 Hybrid w/GD Tour AD IZ 85S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/DG s400

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

I went to a golf show which featured a Hogan hitting station. The Ft. Worth and the PTx had just come out.

The FtW looked sharp and set up well, but I had trouble getting decent shots for anything below a 7i. And, it didn't seem to matter what shaft I used.

The PTx flew much better with a KBS Tour 90 stiff or a Recoil regular. The beveled V-sole seemed to help on contact.

Getting the right shaft is important in all iron selections, but it would really be critical for the FtW iron model.

If you're interested, check out the BH Demo Program. One example: you could rent a FtW Black 6i and 9i in a particular shaft and test it for 14 days. Wedges, hybrids and utility irons are also available.

https://benhogangolf...n-demo-program

If you're a real stickler, I'm told you can fly into DFW and drive to Ft. Worth for a fitting.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |