Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Just got a set and man these things are a lot smaller than I thought! I’m coming from a set of JPX EZ forged. I hope I can get some similar performance out of these.

I agree! I get confused with all these people commenting they are “big” compared to this iron, or “chunkier” than that iron....lol

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG Gen6 0311P 4-G, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

Just got a set and man these things are a lot smaller than I thought! I’m coming from a set of JPX EZ forged. I hope I can get some similar performance out of these.

I agree! I get confused with all these people commenting they are “big” compared to this iron, or “chunkier” than that iron....lol

I wouldnt call them big or chunky but in comparison to a traditional blade they are bigger. In design they have to be bigger in order to have room to fill the hollow head with speed foam. If you are thinking this head is a traditional blade than you are looking at the wrong club.

I wouldnt call them big or chunky but in comparison to a traditional blade they are bigger. In design they have to be bigger in order to have room to fill the hollow head with speed foam. If you are thinking this head is a traditional blade than you are looking at the wrong club.

Yeah it’s all relative. Compared to a blade they’re a tiny bit bigger. For most people these are just intimidating as blades in terms of size. I think the best description would be “player’s iron” size.

AP2s never really intimidated me but after using some EZ forged for a while I was like whoa these are kind of small. And to me the P790 might be a little smaller than an AP2 or at least appears to be

I’ve only played blades for a small time. RAZR MBs. Topline is the only thing that can be considered chunky on this thing. I’m just hoping the mishits can still elevate!

apparently i do not have enough posts to post on the classified forum

anyone interested in p790 5-AW, mint (have 2-3 simulator sessions)

1/4 inch short, standard loft, +.5 lie

modus 130s shafts

PM me!

That is how you and your IP address get suspended from golfwrx. You are trying to violate the rules of our community. The only way around is if you pay for your ad. Read the rules of BST, rule 2

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Yeah it’s all relative. Compared to a blade they’re a tiny bit bigger. For most people these are just intimidating as blades in terms of size. I think the best description would be “player’s iron” size.

AP2s never really intimidated me but after using some EZ forged for a while I was like whoa these are kind of small. And to me the P790 might be a little smaller than an AP2 or at least appears to be

I’ve only seen a set in the store but they seemed about the size of the DCI 990 irons I used from 2001-2010.

i love these irons, but am starting to get homesick for Mizunos like i had in the bag for 15 years before... But they dont make any Mizunos to compete in this kind of iron. Guess i'll have to keep hitting greens.

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

Just ordered a P790 UDI and can't wait to try it this weekend. Probably shouldn't tell my GF I'm more excited to see the post office delivery person than her this week..

But you love her more than the pizza delivery guy, right?

Lol yes for sure. The pizza guy only brings me mornings of regret for eating it all in one day.

Just ordered a P790 UDI and can't wait to try it this weekend. Probably shouldn't tell my GF I'm more excited to see the post office delivery person than her this week..

how are you getting it delivered so fast?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

... Well, I finally listed my P790's in the classified. I don't need 2 sets so these very Custom Recoil Prototype 95 shafted pw-4 irons need a home.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

how are you getting it delivered so fast?

There was a dealer on eBay who had just the PX shafted UDIs left. Must have gotten one of the last ones cause his listing for them is MIA now. ETA is tomorrow!

Hit mine for 3 rounds now. Like someone mentioned, the face looks pretty small at address (topline looks a bit chunky) and I'm not seeing a ton of added forgiveness coming from AP2.

But most importantly, distance I'm getting with these clubs are just stupid and inconsistent. I'm seeing big gaps in between clubs, especially in mid-long irons. 7i avg is 194 and 6i 226, then 5i 245.

I also get these flyers that seem to go a mile and some of these high avgs are a result of that. For 6i, my avg of eight shots was 226 but i had a high of 244 (and a low of 202, which I'm sure was not the best strike but it wasn't bad enough to delete). I have zero desire to hit these distances and these are just too wildly inconsistent for me. With AP2, I was confident that avg strike or flush strike, I was going to be within 10 yards and wasn't going to fly the green into the woods.

440053217e4b96759116fb147f5d591a1e0fa615dba4529266681120ec24be09a0ff1755.jpg

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

Hit mine for 3 rounds now. Like someone mentioned, the face looks pretty small at address (topline looks a bit chunky) and I'm not seeing a ton of added forgiveness coming from AP2.

But most importantly, distance I'm getting with these clubs are just stupid and inconsistent. I'm seeing big gaps in between clubs, especially in mid-long irons. 7i avg is 194 and 6i 226, then 5i 245.

I also get these flyers that seem to go a mile and some of these high avgs are a result of that. For 6i, my avg of eight shots was 226 but i had a high of 244 (and a low of 202, which I'm sure was not the best strike but it wasn't bad enough to delete). I have zero desire to hit these distances and these are just too wildly inconsistent for me. With AP2, I was confident that avg strike or flush strike, I was going to be within 10 yards and wasn't going to fly the green into the woods.

You're strong. Jeez, I couldn't imagine flying those numbers. 7 iron 175 sounds perfect to me.

Is it kind of odd I purchased a custom order online taylor made website on last Thursday and they have already shipped arrival this Friday?

Did you order anything along with the irons? That does seem mighty fast although certainly not impossible.

Sometimes if you also order a stock wedge or something they will ship it first and the custom clubs later.

Just a thought...

Could be the ball you don't have enough backspin across the board on your irons

Could be the ball you don't have enough backspin across the board on your irons

5i spin is definitely super low and probably 6i too. But with these jacked lofts, I'm really treating them as one club up (P790 6i as traditional 5i) and looking at it that way, spin numbers for 7i-GW don't look too out of place to me. I used V1x which is my gamer. As I understand, P790s are supposed to be lower spin and higher launch?

pgatourstats.png?resize=680%2C503

Bandon Dunes 2016
Scottsdale 2017
Pinehurst 2018
Masters 2019

Bandon Dunes 2022

Spin number should be in relation to loft, not the number on the bottom of the club. A 6 iron spinning 4300 RPM isn't terrible when you consider the fact that it's actually a 5 iron in disguise. Would you be okay with a 5 iron spinning at 4300 RPM? Typically yes, they're not fantastic numbers but they're not terrible by any means.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Is it kind of odd I purchased a custom order online taylor made website on last Thursday and they have already shipped arrival this Friday?

Did you order anything along with the irons? That does seem mighty fast although certainly not impossible.

Sometimes if you also order a stock wedge or something they will ship it first and the custom clubs later.

Just a thought...

ordered 4-pw with recoil 95 1/4 inch short 1 degree flat. Thought it would be 3 weeks to be shipped. Find it really odd shipped in 4 days

I got a set just after they released and I was coming from a set of Mizuno JPX900 forged and for me, the 790’s weren’t as forgiving as those and they demanded a better swing to produce good results. I got rid of them and moved to a set of ping g400’s as they’re much more suited to my 10 handicap.

What made you get rid of the 900F?

I thought the 900 forged made by Mizuno is considered a competitor to p790

I think they can compete but not a direct competitor. I “thought” the only competitors to these were: AP3, PXG, and CF16 (or whatever new callaway replacement there were). If Mizuno made an iron like this I may have checked it out but Mizuno has never really been distance driven so I don’t know.

I did hear the 900 did fly long as well tho?