2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Tell us your crazy Par Stories

kozubs

Medium length par 4, maybe 375 with houses down the left. Set up down the left side of the fairway hoping to play a nice cut back toward the middle. Instead, I hit a dead pull hook that is going right at a house, surely going to be OOB. However by some miracle, my ball bounced off a roof and came to rest back in the middle of the fairway about 160 from the green. Played on and then 2 putted for par. The rest of the hole was pretty normal but the drive is one of the craziest shots I've ever hit.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing CCofNC in early seventies and pushed drive in right woods. Not really sure why but I got irate and attempted to throw my driver down the fairway. Having never thrown a club before I hooked it 30 yards into the lake left of the tee. Found my ball, pitched it out to the fairway, hit a 7 iron to 3 ft and made the putt for par. Realized what a stupid thing I had done--- made par and drowned my driver forever.

Ryder Cup format at my club, par 5 second hole on the course, which was our 15th hole of the match. Creek on the right side of the tee box and pond in front of tee box - I dead shank my drive over the creek into the green side bunker on hole 5. No bridge over the creek around that tee box because no one needs one there - the cart ride of shame crossed four holes with other matches being contested. Somehow I hit a 7 iron out of the bunker back over the creek over the pond, a 5 iron gets me short of where the creek crosses the fairway again. Another 5 iron puts me on the green. Two putts. Halve the hole. If you are counting this is not a par but a bogey, but every time I see my opponent from that match he introduces me as the SOB who parred number 2 from the number 5 bunker. Give it another couple of years and it will be a birdie.

Par 5 No. 18 at Emerald Greens GC in St. Louis area.

About 500 yds. long, crosses lake twice...

1. Hit low tee shot, it crosses lake and hits far bank, and trickles back into water.
  2. Take a +1 penalty drop...,
  3. and hit a 7W to clear the second lake.
  4. I'm 180 yards out into the wind, and hit the 7W again - land pin high but 68 feet out to the right of flag.
  5. I then run a double-break putt to the upper terrace... it drops into the center of the cup to save par.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Par 3 170 yard. I thought I could get there with a five iron. Swung too hard and ducked hooked it OB. Re-teed and switched to my 4 hybrid. Nice easy swing and it plunks in for par.

My WITB
Taylormade 2016 M1 9.5º
Cobra F6 Baffler 16º
Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19º, 22º, 25º
Srixon Z545 (6 to PW)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50º, 54º
Taylormade Hi Toe 58º
Taylormade Tour Black Spider
Titleist ProV1

one time playing a 204 yard par three, i hit my shot on the collar of the green. My BIL hits his with a pull into the tree's, not OB. I am walking up to my ball and i hear him say look out here she comes. I hear the mighty wack ball comes out in a line drive, bounces into the slight hill then continues to bounce up to the green slows and rolls up to the cut, about a foot away. Needles to say we tied and i was not amazed i have seen it to often.

He used to be a short game wizard, could hole putts from everywhere. Then he changed something and it all went away.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I got one but wasn’t mine and not really that crazy but big consequence I guess. Club championship match play, I am top flight playing against former champ. We are tied going into 12 and both have very long and downhill par putts. I made a great putt and lagged it, was very happy with a tap in. He sinks his for birdie, which was a good thing as it would have gone 20 feet passed. Anyway, next hole par 5 I don’t catch my drive so lay up to about 100 out on second. He goes for it in 2 and snap hooks a 3 wood, def lost ball. Puts another down and hits green but maybe 40 feet away and laying 4. I hit a crappy approach so about 45 feet away but laying 3. Thinking 2 to win and all square. Hit a descent putt to about 2.5 feet and he goes and sinks his for par. Of course I am rattled and miss my short putt. Birdied the next to go back to 1 down but ultimately lost 2&1. Was a lot of fun though and no complaints.

Dogleg left 435ish. left side of the hole slants severely back to the fairway so if you miss left you can usually get away with it. I missed left and did not get away with it. My ball ends up near a railing to keep carts from falling down a mini cliff between a couple trees. luckily I have a route out of jail but I have to essentially play it down the cart path. I could just chip it out into the fairway backwards but that's no fun.

I hit my shot exactly as planned as the bev-cart girl starts rolling up towards on the path I'm playing down. I start talking to my ball pleading to not hit the cart and sure enough the ball stops dead on her tire, she runs it over and spits it out in the rough 80 yards from the flag. Stick a wedge to 5 feet and make the putt. That was my 13th hole of the day and I still played that chromesoft yellow soccer ball all the way home for a 1 under 71.

9* TSI3 Tour AD-IZ6x

TS2 3w 15* Tour AD MT-7X

915Hd 2 Hybrid - KBS Prototype 75s 

Srixon 4-P 585/785 Combo KBS Tour V 110s

Vokey 50F/54D/58M TI S400

Putter: Odyssey WHP 7

Par 4. Dribbled driver 10 yards off the tee. Hit a solid 3 wood but offline into trees. Tried to punch a hybrid out of there but hit a tree and the ball settled in practically the same spot I just hit from. Decided to really go for it at this point and set up for a big slice with the same hybrid. Missed the trees and got the ball to chase up the fairway, onto the green, and into the hole from about 150 yards out. I think I took 3 skins. Couldn't pull it off again in 100 tries.

Topped my tee shot. Had a long way to the hole, but it was guarded by a hazard. I hit my second short of the hazard, then had to deal with a pin tucked right in front. Hit flop shot off a tight lie to a couple of feet and made the putt.

Golf is a strange game. You can hit the perfect tee shot and walk off the green with a double. You can also hit a really bad tee shot and walk off the green with a par.

I was playing the 18th hole on the Norman Course at Barefoot, here in Myrtle Beach. I hit my drive OB and had to re-tee. Had a bit of red a** and killed my now 3rd shot, leaving 195 to the hole. There is a waste area just before the shallow green, which is also guarded on the right side by a bunker. The waste area wraps around the left side, maybe 15 yards off it. Still upset I'm going to ruin a good round on this hole, I decide to go for it with a hybrid. The ball never leaves the flag, stops 6 inches away for a tap in par. I was actually glad it didn't go in, because the thought of a "second ball" albatross would haunt me forever! P.S. The next time I played the hole, my drive ended up in almost exactly the same spot on the fairway. Emboldened by how good my last attempt at this shot was, I eagerly pulled the same hybrid. Hit it OB left of the green, ended up walking off with a 8. Golf is hard.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

Par 4 story here. I hit my tee shot on number 18 into some trees on the right side of the fairway. Tried to pull the hero shot and hit a low hybrid under the limbs up to the green. As you might expect it didn't go as planned. Hit a tree trunk and my ball glanced towards the green but didn't make it out of the trees. I thought I was done for t this point until I got to my ball. The trees are pines that were planted in rows when the course was built 30 years ago. My ball ended up in the middle of one of those rows that was like an alley directly to the green. Hit my 3rd shot to about a foot for a kick in par. Never give upon a hole.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Actually a birdie story...

On my old course, the par 5 1st is a 90 deg. dogleg right. I slice my drive so far into the trees on the right that pitching back out onto the fairway was no go. Instead, I pitch out to the right into the rough in front of the 9th tee. From there I couldn't see the green and didn't have any idea how far it was. I hit an 8 iron to have enough lift to at least get over the trees and back on the correct hole. I walk up to the elevated 1st green and find my ball 1 inch from the cup.

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

Yesterday, par 5 5th hole. Good drive, good layup, thinned my approach over the back of the green. Ball winds up down a steep slope about 15 yards, I can only see the tip of the flag which is about 10-15 feet from the back fringe. My shot back onto the green has to go under some branches, so I've got a pretty narrow horizontal slot, I can't throw it up high and stop it. Past the flag there's another 10-15 feet of level ground, then the green slopes steeply to another level, then a false front dumps back onto the fairway. My plan was to punch a wedge into the top of the hill, figuring that either it would hop over and stay on the green or at least stop on top clear of the tree. I missed a foot high, and as the ball sailed over the crest of the hill I thought, "Well, that's gone." Then a roar of laughter came from the (invisible to me) green. When I trudged back up the hill, I found two of my playing partners doubled over, the third walking off the green toward the fairway, my ball lying two feet from the cup with a tee stuck right next to it. The partner walking after his ball had stuck his appoach, and was standing there watching smugly as my fourth shot came sizzling over the edge of the green and center punched his ball, stopping dead as a cue ball while his went bounding off. A classic case of backstopping, I can see why it's such a problem on tour.

No harm, he replaced his ball and birdied, I bought him a beer at the turn.

I join in....was 15 years old and playing with my dad. Pushed a drive into the woods on a sharp dogleg left par 4. Tried to be a hero and punch one through an opening the size of a basketball hoop.....of course that didn’t work, and it ricocheted off a pine tree, across the other side of the fairway about 10 yds behind where I was and up against another tree, forcing me to hit it left handed. I look an ugly lefty swing and the cavity back I was playing back then caused me to hit it super thin but luckily it sliced around the dogleg a little....leaving me only a 120-yard PW shot to the green, which I pull hooked into a tree guarding the front left.....the ball hit a branch, then another, and then dropped almost straight down where it rolled into the cup-routine par.....just how I planned it.

Yesterday, par 5 5th hole. Good drive, good layup, thinned my approach over the back of the green. Ball winds up down a steep slope about 15 yards, I can only see the tip of the flag which is about 10-15 feet from the back fringe. My shot back onto the green has to go under some branches, so I've got a pretty narrow horizontal slot, I can't throw it up high and stop it. Past the flag there's another 10-15 feet of level ground, then the green slopes steeply to another level, then a false front dumps back onto the fairway. My plan was to punch a wedge into the top of the hill, figuring that either it would hop over and stay on the green or at least stop on top clear of the tree. I missed a foot high, and as the ball sailed over the crest of the hill I thought, "Well, that's gone." Then a roar of laughter came from the (invisible to me) green. When I trudged back up the hill, I found two of my playing partners doubled over, the third walking off the green toward the fairway, my ball lying two feet from the cup with a tee stuck right next to it. The partner walking after his ball had stuck his appoach, and was standing there watching smugly as my fourth shot came sizzling over the edge of the green and center punched his ball, stopping dead as a cue ball while his went bounding off. A classic case of backstopping, I can see why it's such a problem on tour.

No harm, he replaced his ball and birdied, I bought him a beer at the turn.

Wished you would have said the guy missed his 2-footer so that you both made par!!!

Not me but a beast buddy of mine:

Roughly 315 par four straight away with trees and OB on both sides.

Hits his first drive out of bounds, re-tees another ball and carries it flag high to 8 feet. Rolled in the putt for the coolest par I’ve ever seen.

I had a cool one (humble brag incoming) when I defended my club championship last year. Final group first hole tee shot jitters in the final round.

Hit my drive off the planet left on a dog leg left about 350. I’m in complete jail and punch it even further in the bush. I’m staring an opening hole 6-7 in the face and might fall out of it on the first hole. On shot 3 I can’t go low now that I’m even further in jail so I kinda guesstimate I’m about 80 yards away and hit one of those open faced full ripper wedges to go up and over. I luckily got it into the left rough while 2 guys have close ones for birdies. I’m still away hahaha. Chipped in a 30 yarder for par, we all walked off with pars and I showed them I wasn’t going anywhere. Won by 3 and shot my first under par tournament round to close it.

I was reading this thread before I went out yesterday morning and couldn't really think of any "crazy" stories. A few hole out's here and there over the years, a par on a par 5 after going OB with the first tee shot - nothing flashy. I went out yesterday and shot the craziest round you've ever seen. A 75 with exactly THREE pars. 6 birdies offset by 9 bogeys. What would have been crazy would have been actually making a few of them in lieu of the rash of bogeys I made...

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Par 3 16th hole at my club, 160 yds, plays about 170 because its straight uphill to a heavily bunkered green that slopes severley from back left to front right. Set up for a draw, ball didn't turn over so I end up in a right greenside trap to a middle pin. Not too bad of a bunker shot, green is all up hill to the hole so I figure I'll be more aggressive and fly it most of the way there. As soon as the wedge hits the sand I can tell there was a rock right behind my ball, look up and see the ball flying all the way across the green and into a deep pot bunker on the other side. So now I'm probably 6 feet below the putting surface with the green running away and left-to-right, basically no shot at getting it close. I aim it out to the left, nip the ball out perfectly and it checks hard and trickles down the slope like a putt with perfect speed, directly into the center of the cup.

Just this past Saturday I saved par on a Par 5. Might not be too crazy for everyone, but crazy it’s crazy for me. The hole sits up hill and tucked behind a bunker. Fairway hit off the deck, pulled out the 4i pushed it right into the rough, still looking good for a birdie, then wedged it right into the bunker. The bunker is sitting WAY below the hole on a side of a hill; there is maybe 2 yards between the lip of the bunker and the hole. I managed to finesse the ball up onto the green and checked up for a tap in par. The pin was sitting way above my head! My buddies in the group ahead were going watching and were in shock. Easily the highlight of my round and it’s moments like these that make me forget about how bad she (the game) has treated me. hahaha

Mid-length par 3. I hooked the snot out of my teeshot, and wound up pin high next to a tree. There was a large bunker between my ball and the (shortsided) hole. I couldn't get a stance, and trying to hit a left handed punch shot just wasn't going to work with the bunker in my line. I grabbed my lob wedge in my right hand, turned the club 180 degrees,, and turned my back to the green. After two practice swings with a stiff right arm, I stepped to the ball, swing backwards, and hit a nice high lob that landed on the fringe and rolled to within 3 feet. I made the putt for a nice par save. The reaction from my playing partners was priceless. I don't think they had ever seen a backwards shot before.

I've used this technique quite a few times, as it's much more reliable for me than a left handed swing with an inverted club.

Second best was a par 3 at Streamsong. I hit a towering tee shot that came straight down just inside the bunker lip. Instead of rolling to the bottom of the bunker, it plugged 2 feet below the lip on a severe slope. My caddie looked at me a said, "You'll probably want to take an unplayable". Nah. I had my left knee on the edge of the bunker, and my right foot below the ball. I felt like I was going to fall over. I closed the club face on my wedge, and swung as hard as I could. I couldn't see the ball come out in the giant splash of sand, and I did manage to fall into the bunker. The ball wound up a foot from the cup. My caddie got a good laugh out of it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Most recent is a hole out from the fairway last year. Playing a 2 man best ball, 15th hole only about 380-400 yards, water left and OB right, fairly narrow. Even if you bail left towards the water, it quite often is almost 2 shot penalty equivalent since from your drop you will be blocked from trees that hang over about 75 yards from the green and may only be able to pitch down to about 100 yards to have a clear shot.

My partner goes first, pull hooks it left into the creek with his hybrid. I pull my 3 iron, take my normal poor under pressure swing and block it way right OB. I'm so pissed I re-tee my 3 iron and rip it down the middle, catches a bit of downslope and goes down to about 120 from the hole. I then hole it out....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

My playing partner, par 5 dogleg right with a lake on the right for the whole lenght of the hole.

Winter time, very cold.

He hits the driver pushing it on the right, in the middle of the lake.

But, as it was very cold, the lake was frozen, so the ball bouces on it and makes it to the opposite side, almost in fairway.

So, he shots the second to the green but AGAIN, the ball is on the right but with some draw, bounces on the lake and comes back to the course in a bunker.

From there, exit from the bunker and two putts.

Par with 2 water hazards and a bunker.

Believe it or not, in that hole, after I saw the lake was frozen, I intentionally hit over the lake, the ball bounces and goes to the fairway, leaving a 7 iron to the green.

One putt for an eagle with a water hazard.

Probably not crazy for most here, but crazy for me as I always seem to double this hole. Approximately 420 yd dogleg right 5hcp front pin location. To the left off the tee is a single wall of trees followed by the driving range. To the right are a thick mini forest with about 3" deep rough. You need about a 280 yard drive up the middle or with a little fade to make the clearing as there is a very tall evergreen tree just past the bend.

I step up confident as ever, driver in hand, mind empty. You can picture what happens next. That's right a beautiful... low screaming pull that makes it about 190-210 yards. Luckily it was between trees and in a fairly low cut of rough. Bring out my trusty six iron, eyes narrow as I picture an easy lay up to chip on and avoid double. And there it was, perfect 170(ish) yard.......push....about 5 yards behind a decent sized tree with 50 yards to go.

The lowest branches of this tree are two low for me to try and punch a 5-7 under, so my only options are to chip out or go over. Large bunker on what would be the front to my location. I pull out my 58, open the face slightly and give a nice 3/4 swing. Up and over and on the green. Little deep and at the back of the green. I noticed after my second shot a group had pulled up to tee off behind me. So my anxiety tells me I need to hurry and move on. Analyze the putt for a few seconds, roughly about 20 feet out with a slight right to left break. I stepped up and was hoping to just put it within a couple feet for bog, but I just managed to hit the left edge of the cup and drag it in. I was ecstatic.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

2 which stand out from the last couple of seasons:

1 - It was a 175 yard par 3 with a tough angle to a green protected by water. Trees all down the right side lining both sides of the creek. You really need a soft fade into the green. Well I step up and dead shank a ball. I mean it does 25 yards forward and 50 yards right... into the trees and clanks around in the woods. I assume I am totally dead, retee and hit one on the green. As I am walking up, I look over and see a ball laying on the fringe of the green 50 yards to the right of our tee box. I walk up and sure enough it's my ball. Back in the game! I have 140 to the pin, over a creek with massive trees. I try to go over the trees but don't get it up quick enough and yet somehow find a window the size of a door and get through clean... ball lands 6 inches in front of the cup, stops next to the hole and I tap in for par... and win the hole....

2 - Couple weeks ago I was hitting the ball all over the place with no control. Step up to the 18th hole which is a par 5. Hit a great drive but it doesn't fade and I end up in the fairway bunker. clean lie but water all the way down the right side. I likely need a birdie to tie the match so I have to go for it. From 245 I hit a hybrid out of the bunker and snap hook it... ball bounces through another bunker and winds up in the desert behind some trees about 75 yards from the pin. I hit a perfect pitch off the desert, through a window in the branches and it one hops off the back off the green into the back bunker. Hit bunker shot to 4 feet and make the par.. lost the match by 1 but the par with 2 bunker shots and a desert shot was pretty darn impressive. Pretty much summed up my entire round too. 81 with 12 shots out of bunkers or the desert lol

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5