US Kids World worth it?

My son is 10 year old, top 5 in the Bay Area local tour, and has a chance to attend the World this coming August.

When he was invited we were very excited, but going through the budget breakdown, not so much.

I've estimated the whole trip to cost somewhere in the ballpark of $6k.

For folks who have traveled from west coast, is it worth the time, money and effort?

Did the experience help out in terms of long term growth?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My response in a similar thread last year:

"In my opinion, even the USKG Worlds is just not worth the trip with younger kids (mine is 7) for people from farther distance (I'm in California) unless you are making it part of a family vacation. You are looking at a minimum $4K trip if you stayed in the cheapest possible hotel. Far better off to play in the Callway FCG World Championships in Palm Springs and the IMG Junior World in San Diego (I think). You could probably play qualifying rounds and both of those for less than a single USKG Worlds at Pinehurst. I'm not saying USKG Worlds is a bad experience....I believe it is probably a ton of fun. Perhaps if I was taking my family on a vacation to see the Smithsonian Museums or similar, I would make that trip."

I also live one the West Coast. The IMG Worlds in San Diego (?) is probably a better tournament or bang for the buck. USKG Worlds is a fine event/experience from what I have heard.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

You really do have to take it as a Family Vacation approach...there is no college scholarship for 10 y.o. and how they finish at Worlds probably has little meaning for their long term development. It is a great experience to play against arruably some of the best kids their age in the country/world (yes, I'me sure there are several of "the best" not there because its cost/time prohibitive) - I would think that in itself would be good for their long term development , to see how they stack up. I think my son equally enjoys hanging at the pool , hanging out with family that makes the trip, and new friends he's made as much as he enjoys the golf - and we do too. No mistake, you are there to golf and we make sure he is rested, in bed on time, etc. After all it is a lot of money and they work hard to get there so you want to make the most of it....but we also appreciated the time together and were flexible. As you would expect, some parents have their kids at the range all day after the round and they come moping back to the hotel past all the other kids swimming and having a blast. Thats too much work and pressure for them, especially with so little on the line. If you can afford it, it is a great family vacation. We've made great memories over the last few years and are excited to go back again this year.

* I’me only 5 hour drive away also, so certainly not same expense as you flying. Hotel and food for a week is still expensive, but certainly would give pause (and prob wouldn’t go ) it I had to fly 5 people out ! Sell it to he wife as a father son trip and Dave yourself a few thou’ !

I've never been but take this for what it is worth. I think the experience would be worth it, we are going for the first time this year, girls 7U. I'm flying from Texas. I think there are ways to cut costs you have to do those. Don't stay at the resort. Overpriced. A friend of mine is staying there and paying close to $2K. I've book flights and VRBO and I don't have that much invested in it. VRBO, get a condo with a kitchen and save some money on food. I think it will run us about $2500 (family of 4 going )when all said and done maybe a little more but not much, but I'm cheap.

I know the entire family is looking forward to going to it regardless of results that she has. Should be a lot of fun!!!!

My kid never played US kids, but when they are that young it means nothing, totally nothing in terms of long term growth. I know several families who did the US kids worlds once and never went back. It just is not worth it and it means nothing for long term when they are that young.

My kid played in Junior Worlds in San Diego because it is local and I can attest it means nothing for the younger age divisions.

Maybe when they are in the 13-14 year divisions it has some meaning. Some college coaches actually attend the 13-14 year old division.

When they get to the 15-18 year old division it is a totally different ballgame. 3-4 coaches on every hole. I am not joking.

By the way Jr. World is often skipped by the top ranked players in the older division.

For my kid who has not committed (she is not a top ranked player) it is an opportunity to be seen and possibly receive a better offer from some schools that have contacted her.

For a more fun and closer to you tournament, maybe consider the FCG Worlds in Rancho Mirage. It is a better time, less competetion than San Diego, but a great time.

It is hot, but I would rather be in Palm Springs than N.C. in the summer. Early starting times and carts.

I'm a little confused as to how many posts there are here from families that have not been, but are making recommendations.

This will be the third time we have been fortunate enough to participate. Both of my sons are Burgundy status and they worked to get there TO GO TO WORLDS.

Jekyll, Red White and Blue and other regionals are also amazing but Worlds is a different event altogether.

The parade, check in and other parts are an incredible experience and to have my sons meet kids from all over the world is something that is really hard to explain. We are not made of money (far from it - we have to be careful and choose what fits our family's budget) but this is something that cannot be missed in my opinion.

Yes - we live in driving distance and I completely understand travel and financial concerns (we do fly occasionally to play) but I would strongly caution anyone that hasn't been from discounting it and if you have the opportunity to go, your kid and the rest of your family will never forget this experience.

Caddying for my son is the greatest thing in the world.

If you are only playing 9 holes each day then I don't think the trip is worth it.

If I lived on the West coast, I would do the Callaway World Championships rather than make the trip to the East Coast.

Have been twice to Pinehurst and both trips were amazing.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Never been but this will be our first year. I am quite sure it will be worth the money and experience. We are on the east coast but it still a flight and drive away so the cost does add up. I think you need to look at the full experience and not just 3 rounds of golf..we will be playing 18 so i can see why 9 might not seem worth it but I am sure we would gone if it was only 9.

We are actually getting there early and I am going to try and get a round on #2. What was funny was that son demanded to stay in a condo in order to have home cooked meals - his rationale, the tour pro have the homes and chefs .. he needs his nutrition!

We'll be making our first trip out there from the west coast. I waited until we were playing 18 holes as was suggested to us a few years ago. Will probably be our only visit due to the expense, but definitely looking forward to the event. Can't wait to meet some of the great golfers we see and read about. Son's been working hard on building his stamina to walk 18 holes for 3 days, hopefully will pay off.

We'll be making our first trip out there from the west coast. I waited until we were playing 18 holes as was suggested to us a few years ago. Will probably be our only visit due to the expense, but definitely looking forward to the event. Can't wait to meet some of the great golfers we see and read about. Son's been working hard on building his stamina to walk 18 holes for 3 days, hopefully will pay off.

The worst part for you will be the humidity. San Diego weather is always nice. Humidity is hot, sticky, nasty, moist this time of year in the south.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

We went last year traveling from Orange County and here is my opinion.

In terms of budget, your are almost right on it with $6K. It was more expensive for us since we took the whole family (2 adults / 3 children). It may have cost us even more when it was all said and done, but I quit keeping track.

The really cool thing about worlds is how well run the event is. I feel like they treat the kids like mini tour players. We got to meet kids from all over the world and the parade was probably one of the hilights of the trip.

First time out as a 7 yr old, I think both my son and I got caught up in the whole size of the tournament as well as the competition. We played a few practice rounds with kids who were a head taller and flat out bombed the ball. Needless to say a handful of the kids in every age group are very, very, good. I thought my son had a good chance since he was dominating local tour events and boy was I wrong.

In a nutshell, I feel as though every good player should experience the worlds at least once. Actually, you should go at least twice since most of our friends have always done way better the second time around. If we lived within driving distance, I would probably have my son play the even each year he qualified. My son qualified again this year but he is playing IMG instead. Several of the top players are coming here so I don't see the need to spend the extra money for Pinehurst.

Let me know if you have anymore specific questions.

In terms of budget, your are almost right on it with $6K. It was more expensive for us since we took the whole family (2 adults / 3 children). It may have cost us even more when it was all said and done, but I quit keeping track.

The really cool thing about worlds is how well run the event is. I feel like they treat the kids like mini tour players. We got to meet kids from all over the world and the parade was probably one of the hilights of the trip.

First time out as a 7 yr old, I think both my son and I got caught up in the whole size of the tournament as well as the competition. We played a few practice rounds with kids who were a head taller and flat out bombed the ball. Needless to say a handful of the kids in every age group are very, very, good. I thought my son had a good chance since he was dominating local tour events and boy was I wrong.

In a nutshell, I feel as though every good player should experience the worlds at least once. Actually, you should go at least twice since most of our friends have always done way better the second time around. If we lived within driving distance, I would probably have my son play the even each year he qualified. My son qualified again this year but he is playing IMG instead. Several of the top players are coming here so I don't see the need to spend the extra money for Pinehurst.

We’ve done IMG and US Kids. In a nutshell, IMG is US and Asia, US Kids is really the world with a lot of players from Europe. Pinehurst is much better than SD, IMO, and all the age divisions play fairly close to one another. IMG - you don’t even see the kids from the other age groups outside of the parade. As far as 9-hole goes... If you have a son, mid-pines is a real test and worth the trip if you can afford it. IMG is 18-holes starting at age 8, I believe. Both great events but US kids is better and has a better field in each age group.

We’ve done IMG and US Kids. In a nutshell, IMG is US and Asia, US Kids is really the world with a lot of players from Europe. Pinehurst is much better than SD, IMO, and all the age divisions play fairly close to one another. IMG - you don’t even see the kids from the other age groups outside of the parade. As far as 9-hole goes... If you have a son, mid-pines is a real test and worth the trip if you can afford it. IMG is 18-holes starting at age 8, I believe. Both great events but US kids is better and has a better field in each age group.

True but the kid who won back to back worlds in 6 and 7 yr old division is coming to IMG. Would love if we get paired with him one of the days.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting an invitation to Worlds is if you don't have status?

How about for other US Kids Tournaments like State or Regional?

US Kids registration page shows the schedule they send out invitations based on different status

I'm wondering if anyone has general experience or understanding of how realistic it is to get an invitation with the different levels (or even no status)

Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting an invitation to Worlds is if you don't have status?

How about for other US Kids Tournaments like State or Regional?

US Kids registration page shows the schedule they send out invitations based on different status

I'm wondering if anyone has general experience or understanding of how realistic it is to get an invitation with the different levels (or even no status)

The only exemption for people without status is if you live 250 miles away from any US Kids Golf event (locals, states, etc). Even then you have to submit a player profile. If it is not enough, the invite will not be given.

There is an up to date chart on the world page that shows who has gotten invite (what status levels). Some of the lower status groups for the girls age groups get invites, but generally the boys is burgundy only, sometimes green. Anyway, it’s my understanding and experience, you MUST have some level of status to get invited to worlds. I think The last local tour chance for same year is spring (I.e.- status from spring 2018 local tour can get you into 2018 worlds). Starting with summer tour year prior gets you into next year.

There is an up to date chart on the world page that shows who has gotten invite (what status levels). Some of the lower status groups for the girls age groups get invites, but generally the boys is burgundy only, sometimes green. Anyway, it's my understanding and experience, you MUST have some level of status to get invited to worlds. I think The last local tour chance for same year is spring (I.e.- status from spring 2018 local tour can get you into 2018 worlds). Starting with summer tour year prior gets you into next year.

Thanks

Looks like all girls 9 or younger with any status get in - good to know

There is an up to date chart on the world page that shows who has gotten invite (what status levels). Some of the lower status groups for the girls age groups get invites, but generally the boys is burgundy only, sometimes green. Anyway, it's my understanding and experience, you MUST have some level of status to get invited to worlds. I think The last local tour chance for same year is spring (I.e.- status from spring 2018 local tour can get you into 2018 worlds). Starting with summer tour year prior gets you into next year.

Thanks

You should be able to get into just about any Regional or State without status (especially at the younger ages). For Worlds, it would probably be a little bit less chance. My kid got into California State without status.

Thanks

You should be able to get into just about any Regional or State without status (especially at the younger ages). For Worlds, it would probably be a little bit less chance. My kid got into California State without status.

Depends on the event. Before we had status tired to get into the Holiday Classic and were waitlisted. Eventually got an invite but that was a week out and flights were crazy hight at that point. Depends on how popular the event is. For worlds you have to have status.

Thanks

Depends on the event. Before we had status tired to get into the Holiday Classic and were waitlisted. Eventually got an invite but that was a week out and flights were crazy hight at that point. Depends on how popular the event is. For worlds you have to have status.

ok, just read and agree that you need status for Worlds. For Regionals or State, I would always count on USKG taking my $250+ for the event even if they wait-listed me. Just buy refundable plane tickets and hotel bookings.

US kids used to send out invitation codes to people based on status. Some people were getting the codes from their friends and registering even though their child didn’t have the proper status to sign up at that time. Now US kids sends you the link to register for tournaments based on your status color.