2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

From shooting 105 to 75 in a year

Well guys

I returned to golf last summer after a 13 year break and my first few competivite rounds i couldnt break a 100

I shot a 75 yesterday my best ever round and won the competition by a huge margin (playing off 18)

I have been cut to 12 and was never so happy .

I would credit the huge improvement to regular coaching over the winter and a few weeks back I purchased Montes Drive for Dough

It has been a game changer and I have never driven the ball so well

My next aim is to get to single figures

Happy golfing to ye all

Irish Golfer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a 12 shooting competition 75 would raise eyebrows around here. Congrats on your great round and if you keep it up you will be single digit shortly. Color me jealous!

Where did the stroke reduction come from? Less penalties off tee? Better putting? Everything?

Hi Sir

I had a lot of lessons over winter and my ball striking was pretty good however my short game was poor , my coach said my ball striking was of a very low golfer

For about 4 weeks my driving was terrible , I purchased Montes Drive for Dough and a few tips out of it sorted my driving , i have been hitting it long and very staight

I also got a second hand vokey sand wedge off a friend and it has helped my chipping immensely

i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol

I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.

Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?

i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol

I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.

Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?

Only tournament scores count for their handicaps. Casual rounds don’t count.

now go out and do it for 4 consecutive rounds. then report..again :)

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Congratulations! That's impressive shooting. Sorry to be a downer though but your title sounds like an exaggeration. Clearly you knew how to strike the ball but your game was rusty. That's nice work knocking off all the rust and getting back so quickly though. Sometimes some time off will help eliminate bad habits and opens your mind to new ways of doing things. I had about 8 years off and when coming back I was fully re energized and motivated for the game. I went from playing a fade to a draw with no conscious effort, and my previous hate for GI clubs turned to love. A totally different perspective took effect and I can't explain why. At any rate, you should be in single digits very soon.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Congratulations! That's impressive shooting. Sorry to be a downer though but your title sounds like an exaggeration. Clearly you knew how to strike the ball but your game was rusty. That's nice work knocking off all the rust and getting back so quickly though. Sometimes some time off will help eliminate bad habits and opens your mind to new ways of doing things. I had about 8 years off and when coming back I was fully re energized and motivated for the game. I went from playing a fade to a draw with no conscious effort, and my previous hate for GI clubs turned to love. A totally different perspective took effect and I can't explain why. At any rate, you should be in single digits very soon.

Well i was shooting mid 100s for a few weeks last summer and started back playing , I finished off 2017 playing off 17.8 so I have made good progress in the year. Thanks for the nice words thou

now go out and do it for 4 consecutive rounds. then report..again :)

Its the captains prize friday so Il give it my all:P

Nice work!

Now keep it under 80!

Thats the plan , thank you

Hye sir

I meant last summer i was shooting low 100s and last weekend i shot a 75 , i have been p[laying well a few months now

Another Monte success story it seems. I'm hoping he can help my driving woes next month... Not that I would suddenly move to single digits but I shot a 90 the other week with 3 balls OB and 1 ball in a hazard. Nothing more aggravating than being able to hit my 7i 180 but I can't even keep a ball in play.

Nice work!

Now keep it under 80!

Hye sir

I meant last summer i was shooting low 100s and last weekend i shot a 75 , i have been p[laying well a few months now

We're very happy for you. But, we all want to know how you did it. Aside, from your short game progress. What are you doing now in the full swing, that you didn't do earlier this year? Thx Tanner

Well guys

I returned to golf last summer after a 13 year break and my first few competivite rounds i couldnt break a 100

I shot a 75 yesterday my best ever round and won the competition by a huge margin....

Irish Golfer

First of all, congrats.

However, as I read it. You knew the game before.

The title is a bit misleading, as people might think you as a beginner have gone from shooting 105 to 75 in a year. But this is a come back, which is a bit different. As you have allready been there before.

Well guys

I shot a 75 yesterday my best ever round and won the competition by a huge margin....

Irish Golfer

First of all, congrats.

However, as I read it. You knew the game before.

The title is a bit misleading, as people might think you as a beginner have gone from shooting 105 to 75 in a year. But this is a come back, which is a bit different. As you have allready been there before.

Thanks for the nice words mate , yes i played golf until i was 16 but i never back then shot a round in the 70s

Nice work!

Now keep it under 80!

Hye sir

We're very happy for you. But, we all want to know how you did it. Aside, from your short game progress. What are you doing now in the full swing, that you didn't do earlier this year? Thx Tanner

I had a host of lessons over the winter and really improved my striking , I also purchased an odyssesy putter and it made a huge difference to my putting as well as a vokey sand wedge

the last few weeks thou the Drive for Dough series by Monte was the game changer , im driving up to 280 yards and in the fairway most of the time

It is much easier playing golf from the fairway for sure

Another Monte success story it seems. I'm hoping he can help my driving woes next month... Not that I would suddenly move to single digits but I shot a 90 the other week with 3 balls OB and 1 ball in a hazard. Nothing more aggravating than being able to hit my 7i 180 but I can't even keep a ball in play.

Keep at it my friend , he will definelty fix your driving.

had my captains prize today I shot an 83 , course was treacherous and my putting let me down big time

Congrats! I wen through a rocky year or two fighting the hooks...finally got it under wraps. Over the last year I have shaved 8 strokes off my index and have seen a 20 shot swing between my best/worst scores. Monte was a big part of that as well

well done sir , I need to work on 80 yards in and my putting

• 3 weeks later...

I see it so often, its why I don't play too many MGA's, maybe 1 in 3. Some years ago, I was in the Group D flight and our foursome were all 18 HC's. The last guy off the first tee has an iron on the par-5 and the rest of us start chuckling, "playing conservative?" and he says he doesn't carry any woods. Yep, no driver, no FW's, no hybrids....all irons. And he smoke all 3 of our driver drives with his 2-iron. He eagles 2 par 5's with just irons and finishes 18 holes at -1. Wow.

About 3 months ago, played with my 26-yr old son as member guest. His HC disappeared off GHIN because he just cancelled his membership at his recent course and was taking his time to re-sign up at another course, so he said to put him down as 'scratch', and he shot 74 (2 over). He hadn't played our C.C. club course in 7-8 years where he played routinely in high school. We get paired with another 2-man team, and the 'member' on that team is using a 14-HC and was -2 through 15. My son played Div. II college golf and we were joking that "sure, he's a 14-HC". I even asked the guy "wow, you sure play well for a 14" to which he answered "believe it or not, this is only like the 10th time I played in 10 yrs". Now I'm ready to puke. He finishes at 18 at even par (managed to bogie the last 2 holes I guess after my comment). Where do these people come from?

A 12 shooting 75 would have a lot of people losing their s***...

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I see it so often, its why I don't play too many MGA's, maybe 1 in 3. Some years ago, I was in the Group D flight and our foursome were all 18 HC's. The last guy off the first tee has an iron on the par-5 and the rest of us start chuckling, "playing conservative?" and he says he doesn't carry any woods. Yep, no driver, no FW's, no hybrids....all irons. And he smoke all 3 of our driver drives with his 2-iron. He eagles 2 par 5's with just irons and finishes 18 holes at -1. Wow.

About 3 months ago, played with my 26-yr old son as member guest. His HC disappeared off GHIN because he just cancelled his membership at his recent course and was taking his time to re-sign up at another course, so he said to put him down as 'scratch', and he shot 74 (2 over). He hadn't played our C.C. club course in 7-8 years where he played routinely in high school. We get paired with another 2-man team, and the 'member' on that team is using a 14-HC and was -2 through 15. My son played Div. II college golf and we were joking that "sure, he's a 14-HC". I even asked the guy "wow, you sure play well for a 14" to which he answered "believe it or not, this is only like the 10th time I played in 10 yrs". Now I'm ready to puke. He finishes at 18 at even par (managed to bogie the last 2 holes I guess after my comment). Where do these people come from?

A 12 shooting 75 would have a lot of people losing their s***...

Yes my friend there are a few bandits like that here in Ireland too , i know a guy who plays off 11 now and he was scratch when he was younger. He easily still could play off 2 or 3 and regularly wins big competitions when he appears to feel like it

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a former powerlifter hitting the gym after 10 years away. Starts reps at 150, but is back to benching 250+ after a month.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick