How do I get my daughter into a great school by playing golf

"How good does she have to be to play for an Ivy League school?

How about 2nd tier non-Ivy schools that are known for academics?"

These statements bothered me a bit from the OP. Are you saying the Ivy league schools are the only tier one schools out there and all else are tier two? Stanford grads may disagree with you. All three of my children went to small colleges and while we looked at Ivy schools, my children chose "lesser" schools which were a better fit for them. My daughter even played a sport at her school (Bryn Mawr). There are a lot of great schools out there and the Ivy schools may or may not be a good fit for your daughter.

You might check out this book to help broaden your perspective:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/0062420909

Yep.

I would discourage my kids from going to an Ivy league school. The education isn't better than anywhere else. The connections you make are.

Private universities all charge roughly the same price

The best professors who could work anywhere want to be at the most prestigious schools

But the real value is in the connections made and credential (degree) received - a Harvard degree will get you an interview or a foot in the door easier than from any other place

State schools are cheaper, but I think most would agree you get what you pay for in making that trade off

This is an unusual perspective

To each his own

To get her to the point where it will make a difference takes a lot of time and based on what she's involved in already....not sure you won't burn her out. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Hey at least the handle is fitting. TIGERMOM!!!! :ban:

Why ban?

In all seriousness, does your handle have a meaning behind it? My wife is a teacher and they have nicknames for overbearing parents who push their child and teachers to extremes.

My older kids call me Tiger Mom

I have always been strict, but they know everything I do and decision I make regarding their upbringing is to help them succeed and done out of love

It is a term of affection, but also respect

Why ban?

In all seriousness, does your handle have a meaning behind it? My wife is a teacher and they have nicknames for overbearing parents who push their child and teachers to extremes.

I have always been strict, but they know everything I do and decision I make regarding their upbringing is to help them succeed and done out of love

I think its cool that your handle is Tiger Mom and I don't believe it makes you over bearing. A lot of people call my wife tiger mom and she is enjoys that title.

Back to your original question; it feels like your child is going to play a bunch of sports initially and will eventually specialize in one, and the purpose is to help in the admission process of a top Tier university.

I don't think golf is any different from other sports that you mentioned i.e. Lax or tennis - get her good coaching, get her to play. As she is develops and is showing an ability/interest for the game; start playing tournaments.. the journey is from US Kids to local PGA or state tours along with AJGA and several more depending on where you are located.. the purpose is to make her noticed and highly ranked as a junior etc. IMO there is no secret sauce, it all boils down to interest, talent, hard work and determination - and that could be true for 90% of things your child accomplishes.

Why ban?

Hey Mrs. Chua! I love your books.

Why ban?

I think its cool that your handle is Tiger Mom and I don't believe it makes you over bearing. A lot of people call my wife tiger mom and she is enjoys that title.

Back to your original question; it feels like your child is going to play a bunch of sports initially and will eventually specialize in one, and the purpose is to help in the admission process of a top Tier university.

I don't think golf is any different from other sports that you mentioned i.e. Lax or tennis - get her good coaching, get her to play. As she is develops and is showing an ability/interest for the game; start playing tournaments.. the journey is from US Kids to local PGA or state tours along with AJGA and several more depending on where you are located.. the purpose is to make her noticed and highly ranked as a junior etc. IMO there is no secret sauce, it all boils down to interest, talent, hard work and determination - and that could be true for 90% of things your child accomplishes.

Thanks - this is helpful and reinforces what I thought originally

I am proud to be a Tiger Mom!

Why ban?

Hey Mrs. Chua! I love your books.

Her methods were unconventional by American standards, but very typical in Asia - and effective

I think we can all learn from different parenting styles and cultures

I am 50% sure that this post is a fake post by a regular trying to get everyone fired up! haha. Brand New ID, only a few posts, hitting on some usual hot points, with a very very stereotypical and fitting handle for the OP. If so, I think its pretty funny! It worked.

If its legit, then Welcome to the forum, Tigermom! Take the harsh responses lightly, lots of experienced posters on here who have been through the journey with their kids, they know that pushing too hard is a big mistake, thats all. I have a young golfer and have found this forum to be a very helpful resource and sounding board. Lots of good info on here that can be helpful in your journey. Best of luck with your daughter!

I am 50% sure that this post is a fake post by a regular trying to get everyone fired up! haha. Brand New ID, only a few posts, hitting on some usual hot points, with a very very stereotypical and fitting handle for the OP. If so, I think its pretty funny! It worked.

If its legit, then Welcome to the forum, Tigermom! Take the harsh responses lightly, lots of experienced posters on here who have been through the journey with their kids, they know that pushing too hard is a big mistake, thats all. I have a young golfer and have found this forum to be a very helpful resource and sounding board. Lots of good info on here that can be helpful in your journey. Best of luck with your daughter!

LOL.... I agree. That is why I have kept my comments pretty simple. A "Tiger Mom" wouldn't need these forums.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

LOL.... I agree. That is why I have kept my comments pretty simple. A "Tiger Mom" wouldn't need these forums.

Probably just trying to inflate her post count to sell something on the BST. :taunt:

Ha.. now i feel like a idiot, giving all this amazing advice!

I am real

I am real

Well we’re you are here! You’ve gotten some good advice, keep it fun and challenging to suit her personality and she will (hopefully ) love the game forever. If she loves it and if SHE wants it bad enough, just maybe she will be good enough to play in college. Take some Time to read through some older threads, lots of good perspectives to consider.

I think it's great you're planning for your kid already.

As an Ivy League alumnus, parents are very important on the journey. My parents certainly planned like you, but were incredibly supporting and encouraging. They never forced me to do anything I didn't want.

I was never forced to study, I did that because I wanted to. Stay upbeat and encourage them. When your child gets older and faces pressure, be there for them and support them.

Extracurricular activities are great, but find something that they will be passionate about. Find something unique for them and it's something they love.

Years ago NPR was interviewing the then director of Harvard Law school admissions. They also took a few calls. One caller, who lived on Long Island by the way, talked about two pre-schools she and her husband were looking at for their 4 year old daughter. They wanted to know which pre-school would look better on the daughter's Harvard Law application.

I was going to post this after reading the OP first post, but decided to wait and eat some popcorn first.

IMO, you are one of the following:

1. A troll that is just trying to light a few fires.

2. Screwed, because you are trying to achieve a pretty lofty goal, and you decide to reach out to WRX for initial advice. Someone with a chance to develop a top golfer and get into an Ivy league school would not need advice from a WRX forum. If they do, and they don't know anything about golf, then bless your heart.

Years ago NPR was interviewing the then director of Harvard Law school admissions. They also took a few calls. One caller, who lived on Long Island by the way, talked about two pre-schools she and her husband were looking at for their 4 year old daughter. They wanted to know which pre-school would look better on the daughter's Harvard Law application.

that sounds a lot like my wife's ex husband.

Couple things. Don't take her skiing ever. She could get hurt and then would have no chance at any future. But you should "homeschool" her so she can practice golf 12 hours a day. The best thing you can do for your child at 6. When they are 10 bump up practice to about 15 hours a day.

The sarcasm is strong with this one.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Yes, likely some 15 year old kid trolling.

Notice after starting a few threads and posting frequently he has gone MIA.

Likely because school's out now and he's now working 8 hours a day at Baskin & Robbins...so no time for cyber space anymore.

The best professors who could work anywhere want to be at the most prestigious schools

That is 100% not true.

But the real value is in the connections made and credential (degree) received - a Harvard degree will get you an interview or a foot in the door easier than from any other place

Connections I will agree with you about, but just because you went to Harvard doesnt mean youll get an interview. I've known plenty of Ivy Leaguers who were passed up for other applicants.

State schools are cheaper, but I think most would agree you get what you pay for in making that trade off

100% disagree with this statement. There are plenty of state schools with higher accreditations than Ivy Leagues for specific subjects. Some of the best professors might just want to be near their family and teach locally. Most of the good ones arent in it for the money or to say "yea I teach at Harvard."

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Yes, likely some 15 year old kid trolling.

Notice after starting a few threads and posting frequently he has gone MIA.

Likely because school's out now and he's now working 8 hours a day at Baskin & Robbins...so no time for cyber space anymore.

Several of us are texting and think it is someone in this section just posing.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I am real

So you are not a robot right? Post a swing vid to prove it!!!

I am real

Only if you let me into exclusive texting club

You are member?

I am real

Only if you let me into exclusive texting club

You are member?

That was a funny response !!