Ah ha Moment

Exactice,

You said you're 5'8". Just curious. Do you happen to have long arms for your height? I'm 5'7"(and 1/2) with long arms (for instance, i used to be able to dunk a baseball on a 10' hoop). I'm just wondering if our body type tends to have these specific problems.

And my very same A Ha moment still seems to be sticking at the range. I've all but eliminated my "unplayable" strikes. The ASI realization has also improved my chipping, pitching and bunker play, which were inconsistent at best and occasionally riddled with shanks. Now I just need a putting Ah Ha moment...haha.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had so many ah-ha moments I've lost count. these moments are leased, never owned...don't forget :D

So have I, but this is the first one that translated to my scoring. It cant be a coincidence. 3 rounds, 3 different courses, 3 different groups of friends. I am playing again Thursday as usual. But again..... why has my score dropped. As I still DONT practice, just went to the range that 1 time to beat balls and get this move locked in. Have not been back to the range since.

there has to be a point where things finally clicked....and it seems this one might.....and I say it very lightly might... have actually set in!

I know what you mean I think - I have a fairly fundamentally sound swing that can only have come from ingraining things into my subconscious so that I don't have to worry about them anymore. I just have those days where things are just like what the a** is going on I'm hitting SO MUCH better than I usually do! and I figure it out, but the next day I can't replicate. It's irritating! But I love the sport.

I have had bad days....and good days.... but consistency escapes me.... this is the first time I can say that I have some consistency. That being said.... I do understand and accept this game for what it is and that is why I made the point I need to LOCK in this move and its a learning curve, BUT the thing is that because its sticking and not being "Irritating" have I stumbled onto something more?

Exactice,

You said you're 5'8". Just curious. Do you happen to have long arms for your height? I'm 5'7"(and 1/2) with long arms (for instance, i used to be able to dunk a baseball on a 10' hoop). I'm just wondering if our body type tends to have these specific problems.

And my very same A Ha moment still seems to be sticking at the range. I've all but eliminated my "unplayable" strikes. The ASI realization has also improved my chipping, pitching and bunker play, which were inconsistent at best and occasionally riddled with shanks. Now I just need a putting Ah Ha moment...haha.

Im an little asian dude, so I doubt I have longer arms, dunk...and Asian dont normally go together HAHAH, For me I think about growing up and fundamentals. I played baseball and soccer well before I played golf....realizing now baseball and golf have levers similar to each other...Yet I was NEVER a strong batter. Now I realize why. I was not using mechanics properly.

This again goes to a golf swing. My mechanics was flawed from the get go.

So body type I doubt affects it more than JUST, the basic mechanics that are in play.... Why would a big dude like Craig Stadler, be able to play at the same level as a TW or Rory. with totally different body's because the mechanics are sound and they use the body levers consistently and efficiently.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Post a video!!

Roger that! As soon as I get a chance I will as I stated, I have not gone back to the range since my initial post. Its been tough with these 2 kids.... Just getting out to play is tough let alone trying to run to the range without pissing off the wife LOL!

PS I had another round, would the collective want me to continue to share. or am I wasting bandwith?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

share!!

OK, I am humble enough when to admit I am wrong..... SO here we go.

first off, I am here with my tail tucked between my legs to say, I had a chance to run out to the range yesterday, I got videos, I am VERY disappointed from the Video results. But the shot results as well as consistency is still surprisingly good.

Here is what I mean.

[media=]

[/media]

Developmental swing. All kinds if issues, Major head drop, pulling arms across the chest, steep, stall and early extension. Fought HUGE amounts of slices off the planet.

Better, stopped the head drop, still pulling arms across chest, EE is less prominent

[media=]

[/media]

No head drop at all, less arm pulling better right arm folding. Hip stall is there and slight EE.

So now with 2018 and this Ah Ha moment, I figured 2 things Was SUPPOSED to happen,

1) My arms would be/should be pulling LESS across my chest (Because my first part was that I would rotate with my shoulders only and not with my arms)

2) My Down swing would have less EE and better rotation and NO stall because I am now trying to hit the ball with my right side of the body.

Well..... Yeah complete fail, Its seems like I am getting WAY more Early extension now and the hip stall is still there.

SORRY still editing the new video should have it up tonight.....

SOOOO.. Now back to the drawing board..... for the physical aspect, THE mental aspect is there. Confidence is high, consistency is there but the swing still looks horrible.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

share!!

first off, I am here with my tail tucked between my legs to say, I had a chance to run out to the range yesterday, I got videos, I am VERY disappointed from the Video results. But the shot results as well as consistency is still surprisingly good.

So now with 2018 and this Ah Ha moment, I figured 2 things Was SUPPOSED to happen,

1) My arms would be/should be pulling LESS across my chest (Because my first part was that I would rotate with my shoulders only and not with my arms)

2) My Down swing would have less EE and better rotation and NO stall because I am now trying to hit the ball with my right side of the body.

Well..... Yeah complete fail, Its seems like I am getting WAY more Early extension now and the hip stall is still there.

SOOOO.. Now back to the drawing board..... for the physical aspect, THE mental aspect is there. Confidence is high, consistency is there but the swing still looks horrible.

Does it really matter it looks like if you are getting the results you want? If you are controlling the golf ball as you want don't change anything for aesthetics sake.

share!!

Does it really matter it looks like if you are getting the results you want? If you are controlling the golf ball as you want don't change anything for aesthetics sake.

Thats the weird PART! I agree to this extent BUT..

Then I now ask a really bad questions. Was my Ah HA moment more Mental and allowed me to un-clutter my mind for the shots rather than being an actual SWING fix?

This is what pisses me off.... Was my mind holding me back MORE than the errors in my swing. What.... would happen if I actually FIXED my swing...rather than just Thinking I fixed my swing LOL!?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

MDLT says:

1. What is the real problem at hand?

2. What is the perception of the player he wants to change?

3. From here it can go worse if the change does not encounter the cause of the problem.

1. What is the real problem at hand? Consistency and lack of Consistency

2. What is the perception of the player he wants to change. Too much active are movement, no proper sequencing

3. From here it can go worse if the change does not encounter the cause of the problem. Consistency increased, scores decreased. But per Video analysis, the swing hasn't really changed?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

MDLT says:

1. What is the real problem at hand?

2. What is the perception of the player he wants to change?

3. From here it can go worse if the change does not encounter the cause of the problem.

1. What is the real problem at hand? Consistency and lack of Consistency

2. What is the perception of the player he wants to change. Too much active are movement, no proper sequencing

3. From here it can go worse if the change does not encounter the cause of the problem. Consistency increased, scores decreased. But per Video analysis, the swing hasn't really changed?

You’ve grooved a flawed swing and learned how to get good contact/results from it. Happens to most of us hackers, and isn’t the worst outcome that could happen.

It is super hard to change a move you’ve grooved for years. You might feel you’re doing something completely different, but video almost always proves you wrong.

Making a real change can require HUGE exaggerations, frequent video confirmations, and tolerance for terrible contact until you change old neural pathways and learn to get the clubhead back on the ball.

So 3/4 years later your flaws are still pretty much your flaws. Me, I played to a 5 index with a similar set. You're young, invest in some quality lessons even if they are online.

Otherwise you will most likely flail about forever chasing the next a ha moment. Good luck. Hate to see folks struggle but $50 bucks invested with iteach even twice a year would pay big dividends - ask jut111. or I think, $75 with Monte.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

So 3/4 years later your flaws are still pretty much your flaws. Me, I played to a 5 index with a similar set. You're young, invest in some quality lessons even if they are online.

Otherwise you will most likely flail about forever chasing the next a ha moment. Good luck. Hate to see folks struggle but $50 bucks invested with iteach even twice a year would pay big dividends - ask jut111. or I think, $75 with Monte.

So here is my personal response specific to this.

1) I enjoy golf, but honestly enjoy the tinker the most, From equipment to Swing. In all honesty. I personally enjoy the struggle as it gives me the everlasting target. Every time I discover something new its exciting and invigorates me to play better.

2) NOT to take away from golf instruction and to those that deserve compensation for their hard work. This again is JUST my personality.

3) Setting actual time for a lesson is tough, the Reason I got out and excuses I made (as you can see from the video it was @ KoOlina, my friend had a time share so my kids and wife joined them and they got to go the pool while I practiced) Everything right now is encompassing my loving children. So taking the extra step for coordinating lessons are little more challenging.

Anyways I know it sounds like I am making excuses.. but this is just my direct response!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

As for the topic, Reviewing the videos a little better.

I actually think its is moving to slight improvement actually now I see it better and in slow motion.

The right elbow and the over should rotation does NOT look nearly as bad as it was in the first 2014-2015 videos. you can really see how far I pull my right shoulder to the target in my back swing.

Currently I keep the right elbow more in control and vertical rather than pull.

I still have the hip stall and EE and really prominent in the driver... But I guess I really have to over insinuate the right hip firing or rotating or "hitting" with the right side.

Golf Friends want to put in your thoughts???? I would greatly appreciate it!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

1) I enjoy golf, but honestly enjoy the tinker the most, From equipment to Swing. In all honesty. I personally enjoy the struggle as it gives me the everlasting target. Every time I discover something new its exciting and invigorates me to play better.

2) NOT to take away from golf instruction and to those that deserve compensation for their hard work. This again is JUST my personality.

3) Setting actual time for a lesson is tough, the Reason I got out and excuses I made (as you can see from the video it was @ KoOlina, my friend had a time share so my kids and wife joined them and they got to go the pool while I practiced) Everything right now is encompassing my loving children. So taking the extra step for coordinating lessons are little more challenging.

Anyways I know it sounds like I am making excuses.. but this is just my direct response!

Taking lessons doesn't mean you will lose self discovery. Lesson give you guidance on the thing (or things) that if improved will most help your swing. I've never been

spoon fed the answer - it's a struggle even with good instruction. Yes you are making excuses - you already have the video - just need to choose an instructor, go to their site, upload and pay the money. No need to seek an in person lesson. Then the work begins.

Good luck.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Taking lessons doesn't mean you will lose self discovery. Lesson give you guidance on the thing (or things) that if improved will most help your swing. I've never been

spoon fed the answer - it's a struggle even with good instruction. Yes you are making excuses - you already have the video - just need to choose an instructor, go to their site, upload and pay the money. No need to seek an in person lesson. Then the work begins.

Good luck.

Darn it! Not sure why this never clicked in my head.... Totally forgot about the Technology side.. Guess I was thinking hands on in person instruction only....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I actually think its is moving to slight improvement actually now I see it better and in slow motion.

The right elbow and the over should rotation does NOT look nearly as bad as it was in the first 2014-2015 videos. you can really see how far I pull my right shoulder to the target in my back swing.

I still have the hip stall and EE and really prominent in the driver... But I guess I really have to over insinuate the right hip firing or rotating or "hitting" with the right side.

There's a general lack of trail elbow "leading the charge" in the downswing and general lack of flattening the shaft in transition. Watch Rory, Ricky, Rose and Sergio in slow motion to get the gist of what I'm saying. This very thing I'm mentioning has consumed the last year of my ball striking life, lol, so I'm being a bit parochial.

There's a general lack of trail elbow "leading the charge" in the downswing and general lack of flattening the shaft in transition. Watch Rory, Ricky, Rose and Sergio in slow motion to get the gist of what I'm saying. This very thing I'm mentioning has consumed the last year of my ball striking life, lol, so I'm being a bit parochial.

Good Points.

I did notice my shaft got steeper.

The Elbow, something else I should focus.

Before if you watched the 2014 video it was so wild... At least now its a little more stable , now focus like you said to "lead the charge"

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Hard to be sure with that camera (is that a go pro) but to me looks like the face is wide open coming down. Might want to check out the wrist angle thread.

I think your ah-ha moment was legit, but now you need to match up the rest of the pieces.

Yups go pro, sorry not sure why the quality got downgraded, Looks way smoother and better form the original I wonder if I messed up the format.

As for wide open, does this sorta matter if I manage to square the face @ impact?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Hard to be sure with that camera (is that a go pro) but to me looks like the face is wide open coming down. Might want to check out the wrist angle thread.

I think your ah-ha moment was legit, but now you need to match up the rest of the pieces.

Yups go pro, sorry not sure why the quality got downgraded, Looks way smoother and better form the original I wonder if I messed up the format.

As for wide open, does this sorta matter if I manage to square the face @ impact?

if you don't want to stall and EE it matters :)

I just deleted a post from 25 minutes earlier because frankly it was convoluted and idiotic sounding. :)

I leave instead my own "Aha!". Adopting Justin Roses's pre-shot routine taught me a lot about what it means to go from P4 to impact in a highly effective way. I can internalize and digest swing theory day in and day out but trying to obtain the position that he grooves in his pre- swing has been a light house on foggy waters for me.

if you don't want to stall and EE it matters :)

interesting thought, That being said, since I realized I still have the stall/ EE issue, I was reading the cause and effect of hip rotation or limit there of.

I realize that I just cant rotate well on my left side, So last night was trying some different setup positions like opening my left toe line towards the target or opening my stance.

I also was watching a video that talked about skipping stones and how our body gets out of the way to throw the stone sideways. Anyways its making me realize that my golf swing does NOT feel similar and my body does NOT like to move in that direction so I need to re train it.

I just deleted a post from 25 minutes earlier because frankly it was convoluted and idiotic sounding. :)

I leave instead my own "Aha!". Adopting Justin Roses's pre-shot routine taught me a lot about what it means to go from P4 to impact in a highly effective way. I can internalize and digest swing theory day in and day out but trying to obtain the position that he grooves in his pre- swing has been a light house on foggy waters for me.

Interesting. Again for me mentally its changed to the extant that now that I have 2 thoughts only versus 1,135,651 swing thoughts its been more consistent. Its now just getting the moves more synced and confident I guess.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Failed is failed is failed LOL.

So pre video, AH HA moment, Shooting consistent, shooting lower, and confidence on the course.

POST video.... still trying to obtain the modern swing.... and blew up.... I cant say that my confidence is shot, BUT I will say I am a little discouraged.

So I tried to implement a little change on the course yesterday (I know bad Idea, but I was making swings in the house for the week) Anyways, it was a TOTAL disaster and fail.

More so, In the attempt to keep my tush line (reduce EE) get the elbow leading. BLOCKS where prevalent. I think this is due to the elbow leading leaving the face open at impact. The ball was just a block right not a slice.

First 9 holes were really a disaster. 10 over.

I made some simple adjustments on the back and did ok.... But bad luck struck, (one of those days) Par 5, 3 on, 5 putt. , now when I say 5 putt it was a joke.... one of those you are above the hole no matter how soft it will roll past 10ft, the comeback putt if you dont hole it, it will stop and roll back 15 ft.... it was ridiculous.

Anyways. I was losing out my rear, so I went to my Original "Ah ha" mental notes on the 18th..... And made par, Swam out all my bets as my opponents all made bogey.

So anyways..... I am currently in a mental dilema....but I think I will stick with my initial ah ha, but focus on keep the tush line a little more for now.. THATS it.......

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

It's been stated here and I know you like to tinker, but seriously do yourself a favor and get an online lesson with Monte or Dan.

Believe me, you'll still get to tinker, but at least you can direct the tinkering in the right direction.

I have inquired as well as had PM's received . So please excuse my posting as its just a feeble attempt to continue "tinker" while I sort out the lessons option.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"