2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Tour Edge Exotics CBX! See What Members Are Saying...

We have some great members who will be testing out Tour Edge's CBX line of fairways, hybrids, and Iron-Woods! The testers are below, so make sure to ask them any questions on the clubs and their experience!

CBX Fairway - gregh729

CBX Hybrid - ironmikes

CBX Hybrid - dikaia22

CBX Iron-Wood - FargoRC

A big thank you to Tour Edge as well for giving us the chance to test out the CBX line! I know we can't wait to read the reviews!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was fortunate enough to get the chance to test out the Exotics CBX Hybrid.

So I will start from the beginning.

Background

I am a 7-10 handicap depending on how often I am playing, and with a growing family and more responsibility at work that seems to be shrinking. I have always been a good ball striker and when younger (and dumber maybe) prided myself on being a decent long iron player. I have always been high spin, high launch and for the longest time said I was never going to play a hybrid. As you get older things change, and so did my golf clubs. About 5 years back I decided to try out a hybrid and tried several different brands and models and really couldn't get along with any of them. I finally settled on a Titleist 910 H with a PX 7.0 steel shaft in it. It wasn't going left, and it felt close to an iron for me. I played that for about a year and in proper WRX fashion, I then tried out the SLDR Hybrid, I had a KBS C-Taper 130-X shaft hard stepped once that I put a TM hybrid adapter on and that is the hybrid that has been in my bag ever since. I have probably tried out/purchased probably 7 different hybrids over the last 4 years to try and replace it and have never found anything that I felt would be as consistent or predictable as the SLDR/C-Taper combo. The SLDR Hybrid is a 19 turned to lower on the adaptor so it plays closer to an 18 degree Hybrid.

Exotics CBX Hybrid Testing

So When I got the PM that I had been selected to test the Exotics Hybrid I was stoked. I was coming off of a crappy day and this was a nice pick me up. A few short days later I got a UPS notice that a package was on the way and to my shock, it was going to be there the next day. I got home from work and saw the package sitting on the porch.

I quickly opened the box and did some admiring of the club.

The Club I am testing is the Exotics CBX Hybrid 18* with the Project X HZRDUS Black 85 gram 6.5 flex Shaft.

My first impression of the club was that it was a bit more offset than what I was used to in a Hybrid but it was very clean. Love the simple gloss black head and how the matte black PX Hzrdus Black contrasted off of it. Having done a little research on the clubs after winning I must say the speed ramp sole is kind of a unique feature I was not sure how I would get along with. I have a fairly steep angle of attack and was worried it may dig a bit at impact. Off to the range, we went.

Range Session

I was able to hit the range on a weeknight after dinner. Did my usual progression working from wedges up to mid irons and was ready to hit the Exotics CBX for the first time. At address, it frames the ball very well and the offset at address did not bother me as much as it did during my first impression. I was aiming for a green and flag on the range about 245 away the first strike was very solid landed just short of the green and bounced on. I was honestly surprised by this. The strike felt solid but it launched fairly high (even for me) but the thing that really stood out the most to me was how easy it felt like the club was to hit. With the SLDR hybrid with the much heavier C-taper Shaft, there are times I feel like I really have to labor to hit it. This one felt smooth and like it cut through the turf at impact like a knife. I went on to hit 15-20 more balls all with similar results and only had one miss left out of it but that was definitely my swing and not the club. My interest was peaked.

First round

So having read several reviews on here I always enjoy both the range side of a club test as well as the playability. I knew I had to get this thing on the course to see if I could replicate the results. Went out to a local course here in Peoria that is more of a links style and requires you to be accurate off the tee as there are prairie grasses that line the fairways and will severely punish any wildness off the tee. The first tee was a 408 par 4 slight dogleg left. I decided to try the CBX Hybrid off the deck. Make a good swing, and it goes right where I aimed nice high ball flight and lands softly in the fairway. My playing partner asked if I hit three wood, I kind of laughed it off said nope hybrid. We get up and I got him off the tee by about 10 and he hit driver! I had 138 in to a 400-yard par 4. I won't talk about the bladed pitching wedge over the green, but this thing is long! and effortless. The next test was trying it out on the 2nd shot for a par 5. I finally found an opportunity to put this exact test in play on the back. I had 248 in to a par 5 with a bit of a headwind. Nearly perfect conditions for what I wanted to see. Made a good swing and the ball launched higher than off the tee. I thought for sure the wind would beat it down. To my disbelief, it landed softly on the green and rolled up to about 18' for an eagle putt. I, of course, missed the putt, but man was I impressed with this club!

Conclusion

I am thoroughly impressed by this club. It is firmly in my bag now and have to say the HZRDUS Black (even if it's not handmade) is a tremendous deal. I would highly recommend anyone searching for a hybrid give these a shot. I know if it wasn't for this giveaway I probably wouldn't have just simply due to the fact that no retailer really carries them in my area, but this demo has changed my whole opinion on Exotics and I am going to try and check out the CBX Fairways next!

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

First off, I would like to thank Tour Edge for the opportunity to try out not just the CBX Exotics Iron-Wood but also the hybrid as well. I carried a Tour Edge 3 wood in my bag for a long time and always wanted to try out their other offerings, the Iron-Wood was a club that caught my attention right away so I was ecstatic to find out that I was the lucky GOLFWRXer that got the opportunity to review it.

Some background about me, I am a 7 handicap and for me hybrids have always been a Jekyll and Hyde type of club, I've gone from the Adams Idea Pro A12 hybrid, to the TM SLDR and finally I found a hybrid that I connect with in the Cobra King F7 (Fujikura Pro X-Stiff shaft). I typically play a 18-19.5 degree hybrid, the Tour Edge CBX I am testing out is a 19 degree with a Kuro Kage X-Stiff shaft, the Ironwood is 17 degrees and has the Kuro Kage X-Stiff shaft. Both clubs look fantastic...

20180612_200143_zpskbzdgqtg.jpg20180612_200208_zpsaap7ckg0.jpg

20180608_202142_zpsmyek83wt.jpg20180608_202145_zpsv2vp9dev.jpg

Last Wednesday, I received the Iron-Wood and was able to put it in play this weekend. Immediately I was surprised at how easy it is to hit off the fairway, I powered a shot 220 yards into a decent breeze on long par four and was just off the fringe pin high. Wind is always a battle up here on the plains and I was very happy with how the club was handling windy conditions, a nice boring trajectory that cut through the wind. Off the tee the club is also very consistent, on my arch nemesis par 5 at my home course where there is trouble left and right and really I just want to keep the ball in play to avoid a big number...I striped a shot right down the pipe about 230-240 yards and well away from any trouble. In the few other holes I played the main miss of the club seemed to be left but nothing that can't be tightened up with some more practice and range time. I still want to get both clubs out on the range to do a more thorough head to head.

As for the CBX hybrid, it certainly lived up to my expectations about distance. Any ball hit on the screws was launched, I hit it off the tee on a 370 yard par 4 and had about 115-120 to the hole. I was kind of surprised at how open the club seems to look at address but it wasn't a major issue once I got used to it. The main difference between the CBX and my current hybrid the Cobra F7 is really forgiveness. The CBX to me isn't quite as versatile and is more geared to a better player, it reminded me of my SLDR hybrid in many ways. A solid club that was long but not always the most forgiving. With that said, I do need to get on the course and range more before reaching a final verdict so for now I'll call this part 1 of my review with a more thorough head to head coming this weekend and some more pics as well.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

First I wanted to really thank GolfWrx and Tour Edge for the chance to review equipment.

When I saw the message that I was selected a smile from ear to ear came upon me .

I am a 10 handicap that will keep the ball in fairway even if that means a longer

Second shot or laying up on a par 5 unless I have an iron in my hand , which is not often.

My strength is my putting, chipping and pitching.

I do not have a brand loyalty as in my bag I use clubs that perform form me.

Got home from work and my wife said there was a surprise package

In the living room for me ...yes !!!!!!!!

Decided to try the 18 degree hybrid with Project X hzrous 6.0 or stiff flex to compare to

My old faithful Taylormade rescue tour 18 degress that has an Oban purple hybrid shaft

Stiff flex in it.

Club was weighed and it came in at 370 grams .

club head and shaft almost look made for each other as they are black without much extra bling on them.

Headcover is sturdy and comes down far enough to protect the shaft more than my usual hybrid headcover.

Oem grip provided me with a nice secure connection even with my bad hands ( arthritis in my fingers )

The head is smaller than I am used to playing but after playing the hybrid

I can say there are only advantages to the smaller profile ( will explain in my details below )

First round that I got out to play I went to the range to hit some balls and the

Range was closed for repairs ……boooooooooooo lol !

Like a true Golfwrxer I figured I would put the new club in play without any practice swings.

Did not have any par three’s long enough so I decided I would use it on par 4’s and the par 5 second shots.

First par 5 end up with a severe down hill lie with a hard left to right wind and pin on the right corner of the green .

Figuring I would aim at the left side of the green to watch the lie and wind bring me back like usual

To the center of the green .the ball went right where I aimed with very little movement back to the right and rolled off the back of the green .

Maybe I pulled the shot , so I dropped another one, gripped down on the club 2 inches and ended up hitting the same line , quick to get up in the air and rolled to middle of the green on the left side.

Next par 5 downhill lie wind into me , hitting from the fairway so I aimed left center of the fairway thinking this ball will end up on the right side , nope 2 yard fade and end up in the middle close to the green.

Next par 4 that I could use the hybrid I stepped up and thought trust it and hit a super tight draw to match the shape of the right to left hole , ending up middle of the fairway .

Got to my arch nemesis long par 3 210+ that always plays l into the wind most of the time and longer than you think .

Usually hit 4 wood into the wind but decided to go with the hybrid.

I hit a block into the wind that I was sure would put me in trouble but ended up pin high

Just off the green , what a surprise.

Needless to say the rest of the round I only missed one fairway by 1 yard out of the 5 times I used it off the tee on the par 4s, par 5s I was never in trouble using it on a second shot .

Out of the rough was shocking how the ball got up quick while no head twist from grass catching the heel .

Got to play 2 more rounds and a few range sessions with the hybrid.

I must say that I can fade or draw the ball on command with the shape ending up being

A 2 to 4 yard curve, very tight everytime.

Have hit the ball higher and lower than a stock shot especially off the tee.

I played last Thursday in the windy conditions we had ( everybody watching the US Open on Thursday

Would see how windy it was ) the club performed flawless and I hit every fairway and green .

had a par 4 super hard dogleg to the right where you lay up to the left

Or try and hit over the trees in a tiny gap where there are a couple lower growing ones.

Pulled out the hybrid and teed it high and ball went right where I was aiming and had 110 into the green.

Never would try that shot as you have to be super accurate and have the distance to clear the trees or you are looking at a big number .

One of the other par 4s I usally hit a 4 iron and said no way lets see what this club can do in

Severe wind and a 20 yard ( only half is where you want to be ) fairway that if you miss your spot you are blocked out to the green .

You guessed it perfect position to go at the flag .

People playing with me kept asking what is that club you are hitting :o)

The one thing I can say is I am now more aggressive and getting more short irons into the greens.

Included some pictures including the comparison to my old trusty hybrid that has found a new spot in

My closet ( never thought I would say that )

To sum up my experience with this club is as follows :

Very workable draw , fade , high or low

long off the fairway and tee , 10-15 longer than my old set up

very accurate like hitting a 6 iron but the disatnce of a hybrid

Dependable ballflight and relaible distance

Forgiving on mishits both direction and distance

great from the rough and tough lies

holds it line downwind , into the wind or crosswind

perfect club for long par threes

Looks great and feels tight that inspires confidence every time I reach for this club I know what to expect , what else can you ask for ?

If you could get this club in the hands of a golfer they will be pleasantly surprised

Tour Edge has a real winner here that really needs to be tried to believe it .

here are the pictures

First off, BIG thanks to Tour Edge Golf and GOLFWRX for giving me the opportunity to test the CBX fairway and share my experience with everyone.

So excited to be chosen to test the Tour Edge Exotics CBX fairway. I have a long history with Tour Edge fairways going back to the original CB and then playing the CB5, XCG, and E8 Beta over the years. I’ve always loved the way the Tour Edge fairways set up behind the ball. They all had great club head sizes and sat dead- square. I found them all very easy to hit. The CBX follows this design.

I chose the 15* with a Project X HZRDUS Red, stiff flex shaft. My current gamer is a Callaway Epic, 15*, with an Aldila Rogue Max stiff shaft. I struggle with spinning my fairways too much so I am always looking for help with this. For reference, my swing speed (with driver) is right at 100 mph. A good strike with my current 3 wood gets me 240 – 250 depending on roll.

In advertising, Tour Edge describes the CBX as a “Spin-killing distance machine”. Time to find out!

The rain finally ended for a short time last week. I got out last Wednesday to a course I play a lot and use 3 wood off the tee on 5 holes. The course was empty, so I hit both off of every tee, not just the normal 3 wood holes. It was still a bit soggy, so most of the distance was carry. The CBX and the EPIC were neck and neck. One was longer on one hole and the other would be longer on the next. Accuracy was very similar as well. I hit 10 of 14 fairways with each off of the tees. The CBX ball flight was a little bit lower and flatter than the EPIC.

Played hooky Friday morning after watching the WASHINGTON CAPITALS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!! #ALLCAPS

Same course, just two days drier. The course was pretty empty again. I guess, due to the late night everyone had watching the WASHINGTON CAPITALS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!! (ok, I am done). Much more roll. The CBX really picked up yardage here. The lower spin head and low spin shaft (mid launch) was a beast. My EPIC is long, the CBX had it beat by close to 10 yards on every tee shot. Off the fairway, it was closer, with the CBX about 5-7 yards longer.

I am really impressed with the CBX. I still like my EPIC a lot, but the CBX will probably work itself into the starting spot. It is definitely in the rotation now. I have been thinking of the courses I regularly play and which ones I will use the CBX on.

Again, thanks so much to Tour Edge Golf and GOLFWRX for the opportunity to test this rocket launcher!

Got out again on Friday and yesterday at a course I play a lot. I left my Epic in the car and used the CBX exclusively.

There are 5 holes that I use 3 wood off the tee and 3 of the 4 par 5s off the deck. Hit all fairways off the tee with excellent distance. Easy to elevate with great distance off the fairway. This is a great, solid 3 wood. I am getting a couple of yards more carry than my Epic with better roll out. I would say just under 10 yards increase. Club head looks great and sets up very nicely behind the ball.

It's in the bag! Might need to test a hybrid now

Greg

Got out again on Friday and yesterday at a course I play a lot. I left my Epic in the car and used the CBX exclusively.

There are 5 holes that I use 3 wood off the tee and 3 of the 4 par 5s off the deck. Hit all fairways off the tee with excellent distance. Easy to elevate with great distance off the fairway. This is a great, solid 3 wood. I am getting a couple of yards more carry than my Epic with better roll out. I would say just under 10 yards increase. Club head looks great and sets up very nicely behind the ball.

It's in the bag! Might need to test a hybrid now

Greg

How does the forgiveness compare to your epic? Do you have the sz or standard?

Is the cbx a lot lower launching?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I have the epic sub zero and switched to the CBX. I would say it’s slightly longer. The sub zero is a really long. The biggest advantage is that the CBX is more forgiving and stays it’s line better.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I have the standard Epic. The CBX ballflight is a little lower due to the shaft. I find it just as forgiving, maybe a little more than the Epic. I hit one off the toe the other day and was sure it was 20 yards short of where a good hit would be and it was within 5 yards of a "good hit" distance. Very easy to hit.

Curious how the hybrid plays out of the rough.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the 5 wood myself. HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 in there. Thing is a monster. Nice high controlled flight but can play it down if needed. Taking a CB Pro F2 14.5* out of the bag in place of this. Cant see it going anywhere anytime soon. Up there with the best exotics made. May be investing in the 13* very soon.

PGA of Canada Class A & TPI Golf Level 2 Certified
Callaway Paradym TD LS  9* -> Ventus Black 6X 
Callaway Paradym TD 15* to 16* -> Ventus Black 7X
Callaway Apex UW 21* -> Ventus Black 8X
Callaway Apex MB 2021 7-PW / Apex Pro 4-6 -> DG TI X100
Callaway JAWS Raw 50W/56X/60C(FT) -> DG TI S400
Toulon Las Vegas H7 - 33"
Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track 360

Just got the 5 wood myself. HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 in there. Thing is a monster. Nice high controlled flight but can play it down if needed. Taking a CB Pro F2 14.5* out of the bag in place of this. Cant see it going anywhere anytime soon. Up there with the best exotics made. May be investing in the 13* very soon.

Congrats on joining the TEE club. their products have always worked out very well for me.

I have the standard Epic. The CBX ballflight is a little lower due to the shaft. I find it just as forgiving, maybe a little more than the Epic. I hit one off the toe the other day and was sure it was 20 yards short of where a good hit would be and it was within 5 yards of a "good hit" distance. Very easy to hit.

Yes, it’s exactly that. I don’t understand how it’s miles better then everyone else but nobody plays it.

Oh well it will be our secret weapon

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Can someone include a picture of the Iron-wood from the address position? Would like to see the offset and face progression...

Titleist TS3 9.5 Tour AD UB 6x
Titleist TS3 15 Tour AD DI 7x
Titleist 917 F2 18 Tour AD DI 8x or U500 3 AMT White
Titleist T100 4-9 AMT White
Vokey SM8 46.10F SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08F DG Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350gm

• 5 weeks later...

I personally play Exotics almost exclusively in my bag (barring rinky). I have the CBX 4-wood and 20° hybrid in my bag. I was impressed with the fact that you don't get that big pull miss with the hybrid. My only issue with the line-up was they didn't at least go to 23° with the hybrids other than that, great clubs.