Playing alone by choice.

To me playing with other people is a distraction. I am always playing against the course and I prefer not to be bothered with having people in the mix. I enjoy playing with my son and about two other people and that's about it. I love the solitude.

I also hate playing cart golf. I walk and carry. I like to mentally prepare for the next shot as I walk.

One of my most memorable rounds of golf.....I played in a benefit outing at a very exclusive course and after 8 holes we had a violent thunderstorm and the rest of the event was cancelled. The storm quickly passed though. I went to the pro shop and asked if they'd mind if I just went and walked the course since the event had been cancelled. I walked from 4:00 until dark:30 and played almost the entire course without seeing another human being, house or hearing a car. Just me and the deer, squirrels, hawks and wild turkeys on one of the top 100 courses in the country.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I get way too angry when someone calls my cell though."

My solution for that was easy: I simply turned the darn thing off and threw it in the bag before starting the round. Now that I'm retired I no longer feel the need for a cell phone. Very liberating. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Monday through Friday I'll go out after work and play nine by myself and enjoy the peace and quiet. I've found it's a great way to unwind and I don't feel any pressure to play at someone else's pace if I want to drop a couple balls and hit extra shots. The weekends are for rounds with friends and all the stuff that goes with it.

I prefer to play alone, most of the time. Im not much of a socializer and really value and enjoy time alone. I have myself I can talk to. And I do. My swing thoughts, become swing statements. I tend to play better because I dont feel the eyes of someone else on me. And I dont have to wait to play unless the group in front of me is slow. I hit the ball, take off walking after it, find it, and do it again. Its a fast pace that really keeps me focused. I love it.

However, I really enjoy playing with my brother. Its a great way for us to bond, and keep up with each other. He is a good golfer, plays fast, and prefers to walk. Id never play alone again if I knew I could play every round with him. So I guess I should say, I prefer to play alone, if Im not playing with my brother.

I'm opting to play 9 tonight solo, it'll be my first time doing so. I'm quite looking forward to it.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I prefer to play alone, most of the time. Im not much of a socializer and really value and enjoy time alone. I have myself I can talk to. And I do. My swing thoughts, become swing statements. I tend to play better because I dont feel the eyes of someone else on me. And I dont have to wait to play unless the group in front of me is slow. I hit the ball, take off walking after it, find it, and do it again. Its a fast pace that really keeps me focused. I love it.

However, I really enjoy playing with my brother. Its a great way for us to bond, and keep up with each other. He is a good golfer, plays fast, and prefers to walk. Id never play alone again if I knew I could play every round with him. So I guess I should say, I prefer to play alone, if Im not playing with my brother.

Well said. This is exactly how I feel about playing with my son.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

Personally, love playing alone. I can never get enough of the oasis that is playing golf alone. Love enjoying time away from other people and I can hit 2 balls, try out different shots/approaches to holes on golf courses I regularly play so I can always keep the game interesting.

However, I don't know about anyone else but I always score better playing with others. Anybody else feel that way? I just turn on some sort of competitive switch inside me because there is nothing I hate more than playing poorly in front of other people, even if I don't know them. I never look for the validation of others, and honestly I rarely talk to the others in my group (unless it is about the upcoming/previous weeks PGA tournament) or some other subject that I am interested in, but I definitely play better around other people.

I like to play alone if the course is pretty empty. Otherwise I just get unnecessarily infuriated waiting.

I like playing alone but I'd say I prefer to play with someone if they walk and take their game seriously. I like to have fun but my idea of fun is putting pressure on myself to play well, not drinking 10 beers and hamming in up in the cart. I appreciate playing with someone(s) who has the same mindset as me.

I find myself playing alone more often than I do with friends or relatives these days. Like most have stated here, it is quite enjoyable. My only issue is that I play most of my rounds early in the morning so I do run into the occassionly log jam or sometimes get paired with folks I don't know. My favorite person to play with is my father, but health reasons have kept him off the course for the past few years.

Went out for 9 last night solo, enjoyed myself. Didn't play the best, but did make one birdie on a par 4 dogleg right. And made 2 additional pars. Consistency struggles... but yea I think I might make the solo after work 9 a more regular thing.

Although I think I agree that I may have played better with friends there as sort of a friendly competition thing.... And I had a twosome right on my tail so playing 2 balls or re hitting any shots was out of the question. Enjoyed the solitude of it though, and no one was having a hissy fit so no distractions which was great.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

My course is $20 to play twilight hours and no one is ever out there.

I have read many members post that the courses they play at twilight are very quiet....here in Vancouver, BC.....all the public courses are jammed packed with booked tee times at twilight...even the really cheap sunset times in the summer....7pm..... are packed with golfers too.

FWIW....I hate playing alone...if I do go out as a single....I like to wait and join up with others....if I do play alone later in the day....I'll thrown down a few balls and practice.

I enjoy playing alone , sometimes listening to music sometimes not , being able to play this sport on my own is what led me to it in the first place. Unlike some others who have posted who play multiple balls , my solo rounds are self scrutinized more than a tournament round and I feel just as much pressure as I would with a crowd watching..love grinding over every shot trying to be better.

This also makes it disappointing that solo rounds no longer count for your handicap

I play 80% of my rounds as a single. At my club I try to get the first tee time in the AM and play 18 holes in just over 2 hours. The other 10% I play with my 10 year old son and we play only 7-9 holes. Finally the last 10% I play with other golfers.

Not really a preference it’s just that I play kind of in the spur of the moment. I don’t schedule my rounds more than 12 hours ahead of time.

I don’t mind the solitary golf round- I find it relaxing.

I almost always play by myself unless I am playing with my father. Typically I play outside of peak hours so I can even play 2 balls/hole if I really want to. I do feel as though I focus more and am under less pressure to perform. I also enjoy walking the course, as my budget doesn't allow for cart fees lol, and there aren't many mid-high handicappers like myself who walk here.

TL;DR: Only low handicappers also walk here, I usually play when course is more empty, I don't want to feel like a burden by joining much better players, I like the peacefulness of playing solo.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

• 2 weeks later...

I almost always play by myself unless I am playing with my father. Typically I play outside of peak hours so I can even play 2 balls/hole if I really want to. I do feel as though I focus more and am under less pressure to perform. I also enjoy walking the course, as my budget doesn't allow for cart fees lol, and there aren't many mid-high handicappers like myself who walk here.

TL;DR: Only low handicappers also walk here, I usually play when course is more empty, I don't want to feel like a burden by joining much better players, I like the peacefulness of playing solo.

2 balls is nothing. :superman: I played in front of a single yesterday and while we waiting on the 15th tee I saw him drop at least 15 balls onto the ground and hit them all onto the 14th green. :swoon:. I'd say 5 of them were almost surefire birdies, another 5 were 5-10 feet and the rest were up to 20 feet away. This was from about 80 yards.

Now that I have a kid, a 2 hour round on Saturday morning (first tee time) before anyone is up is pure bliss: hearing the birds, smelling the fresh cut grass, making trails in the dew...

A solo round at any other time, completely miserable... you’re playing through groups or waiting on every shot. It’s like playing behind JB Holmes ALL THE TIME!

[b]WITB 2020:[/b]

[b][ Driver ] Mizuno ST190 | Atmos Black TS 6X[/b]
[b][ Hybrid ] Callaway XR - 19 degrees | Graphite Design AD-DI 7x[/b]
[b][ 3 Iron] Titleist T-MB | Project X Precision Steel 6.5[/b]
[b][ 4-GW ] Adams CMB | KBS C-Taper 130x[/b]
[b][ Wedges ] Scratch - 53, 58[/b]
[b][ Putter ] Taylormade TP Ardmore Limited Edition Black[/b]

Several years ago, when I was a low single digit handicap and playing on an amateur tour, I played a lot of solo rounds. My schedule was very flexible at work, so I would often go out in the middle of the day when most folks are working. I was very serious about my game and used those rounds to practice course management and various shots. I would say that probably 75% of my rounds were solo rounds.

These days, I'm far less serious about the game, and my preference is to play with others. I enjoy the social aspect of it now far more than the competitive aspect. Golf to me now is an escape from the grind of daily life, so I dont necessarily want to grind out on the course. Once I decide I want to play, I always put out the feelers to all of my friends and try to get at least one of them on the course. If they cant make it, I will still go out, but I much prefer to play rounds with company. So much so that I'll usually ask in the pro-shop if there are any groups that they can put me with. I'd venture a guess that these days 10% max of my rounds are solo. Those rounds that I do play solo these days, I usually have some music playing and I'm just out to enjoy the outdoors. My favorite rounds these days are when it is either me and my uncle, or when I have my wife riding in the cart with me, and my buddy has his wife with him. Neither of our wives play, but it is always a great time.

Walked 18 Sunday and right at 20 before dark yesterday. Had the course all to myself yesterday and had a 25 yard hole out pitch for birdie with no audience...just how I like it. I play for me right now, I will never turn down a round with my father or brother, but my solo rounds really help me to focus on making smooth, fluid swings and not trying to be a showoff.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5