Sunglasses - do you use them on the course ?

i've started wearing them more and more -- i got a really bad eye infection last year getting some pollen in my eye. tear ducts got blocked in my right eye - crazy painful. started wearing them since, especially if it's windy.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only wear sunglasses on the back of my hat so everybody knows I’m a big deal.

I never understood how that worked. I place my sunglasses on the brim of my hat when I'm not wearing them. I tried doing that backwards upside down thing and it just felt totally awkward. I always felt I would lose them that way.

Wearing them on the back of your hat is the ultimate poser move. Only reason pros do it is to not block the logo of a sponsor.

I only wear sunglasses on the back of my hat so everybody knows I'm a big deal.

I never understood how that worked. I place my sunglasses on the brim of my hat when I'm not wearing them. I tried doing that backwards upside down thing and it just felt totally awkward. I always felt I would lose them that way.

Wearing them on the back of your hat is the ultimate poser move. Only reason pros do it is to not block the logo of a sponsor.

I NEVER thought of that. Makes perfect sense.

I only wear sunglasses on the back of my hat so everybody knows I'm a big deal.

I NEVER thought of that. Makes perfect sense.

Glad I've saved a fellow WRXer from possible embarrassment... I've done my job for the day :)

Growing up I never wore sunglasses. On the golf course, off the course, it didn't matter. Never wore them.

Then I developed a pterygium. Which sucks, is annoying and causes a lot of discomfort. So now I ALWAYS wear sunglasses when outside.

I wear more of a wraparound sunglass on the golf course and while doing active stuff outside (biking, hiking, running, etc.). I don't wear polarized on the golf course. I did find a noticeable difference while reading greens. I found myself constantly lifting the polarized glasses up to see the contours of the green. You know when you look at greens and you can see the contours by seeing a part of green which looks lighter (white almost) than the another part? You know that spot is downhill and the green is running that way. Well with polarized lenses, you don't see any of that. When looking at the greens, unless the breaks were obvious, everything looked kind of the same. With unpolarized lenses, you still get the reflections of sun off the grass and you it helps differ. For whatever it's worth, my eye doc was a huge golfer and he also recommended unpolarized lenses for golf.

Outside of golf, I only wear polarized lenses.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I only wear sunglasses on the back of my hat so everybody knows I’m a big deal.

What if the sun is behind you?

Growing up I never wore sunglasses. On the golf course, off the course, it didn't matter. Never wore them.

Then I developed a pterygium. Which sucks, is annoying and causes a lot of discomfort. So now I ALWAYS wear sunglasses when outside.

I wear more of a wraparound sunglass on the golf course and while doing active stuff outside (biking, hiking, running, etc.). I don't wear polarized on the golf course. I did find a noticeable difference while reading greens. I found myself constantly lifting the polarized glasses up to see the contours of the green. You know when you look at greens and you can see the contours by seeing a part of green which looks lighter (white almost) than the another part? You know that spot is downhill and the green is running that way. Well with polarized lenses, you don't see any of that. When looking at the greens, unless the breaks were obvious, everything looked kind of the same. With unpolarized lenses, you still get the reflections of sun off the grass and you it helps differ. For whatever it's worth, my eye doc was a huge golfer and he also recommended unpolarized lenses for golf.

Outside of golf, I only wear polarized lenses.

I did the same with my glasses for golf with polarized. I could tell the same thing that it flattened the look of things.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I've worn Oakley shades for a long time. The current "prizm" lenses work well in the sunshine, with UV protection but not too dark to see the contours. The enhanced colors make it slightly easier to read greens, but not significantly. The main thing is being able to play a round of golf without squinting due to the bright light. I think it lessens the tension around your face, and it pays off by the time you get to the finishing holes. I think I'm on my third set of lenses in my Flak Jacket frames, which fit me well and don't fall oiff.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Started wearing Oakley's Golf PRIZM line last year, and now I never go on a course without them, even when it rains.

While they protect your eyes, they also do an incredible job at making your ball more conspicuous when you're in the rough (by darkening the grass, and enhancing the color of the ball); makes the ball much easier to find. The lenses also display many of the contours in a green you can't see with the naked eye.

I highly recommend them.

Here's a sample link to a pair: https://www.oakley.com/en/men/sunglasses/performance-lifestyle/targetline/product/W0OO9397?variant=888392332349

I’m digging the new style too. They fit a bit easier under the hat brim and also without the ear socks they slide under your hat and over the ear much smoother.

Just have to say, you’ve got to be foolish to not wear good sunglasses at all times while playing. You only get one pair of eyes and you’ve got to protect them. I didn’t start wearing sunglasses early enough and now I’ve got issues with halos at night. Totally avoidable if I had started wearing them early on.

Yep. Me too.

Also have pinguecula. Never thought “white eyeball envy” was a thing, but I certainly do.

Totally avoidable with sunglasses and the sun is only getting brighter.

Use sunglasses folks.

I think good sunglasses are very important to protect your eyes. Think about how much you are looking up! I would recommend Oakleys with no rim along the bottom of the frame. Staple golfers glasses! My personal fav's Fast Jackets which are discontinued. I have three or four sets of lenses for all lighting conditions.

I too love the Fast jackets. I wish they would bring them back!!

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Living on Oahu I always wear sunglasses...till I hit or putt.

Have never been able to get comfortable over the ball in them!

Aloha

This describes me as well, except the part about living on Oahu.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I do sometimes. However, I've noticed that I have to tee off the 1st hole with them on and leave them on, if I take them on and off it completely throws my depth perception off. I generally take them off to swing and put them back on between shots.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I play with them on. Helps save my eyes and I see better with them. You want to make sure you got the golf specific lense because standard sunglasses would mess with your depth of perception and cause you to hit too fat or thin it.

That's not true.

Golf specific lenses really help with the picking the ball up against the sky and grass. I've never owned a pair of golf specific glasses/lenses and have never had an issue with depth perception. Trouble tracking the ball when it's a bit overcast, sure, but no depth perception issues.

I do sometimes. However, I've noticed that I have to tee off the 1st hole with them on and leave them on, if I take them on and off it completely throws my depth perception off. I generally take them off to swing and put them back on between shots.

For me it depends on what glasses I am wearing. If I am wearing my more curved, sportier glasses, I have this issue too. If I take them off, I have to take them off after hitting the ball when I know I will have a couple minutes between shots as my eyes readjust. I think this is because the curvature of the lenses. If I wear more normal sunglasses which have flatter lenses and aren't necessarily made for sports, I don't have this adjustment. I almost always wear my sport sunglasses and once they are on, they are on. I only take them off if it gets way too cloudy... and in Phoenix that happens... well... it doesn't happen.

I play with them on. Helps save my eyes and I see better with them. You want to make sure you got the golf specific lense because standard sunglasses would mess with your depth of perception and cause you to hit too fat or thin it.

That's not true.

Golf specific lenses really help with the picking the ball up against the sky and grass. I've never owned a pair of golf specific glasses/lenses and have never had an issue with depth perception. Trouble tracking the ball when it's a bit overcast, sure, but no depth perception issues.

Well that was my case I guess. My other golfing buddies had similar issues too. To me, ploarized lense made the ball appear closer to me at address and I typically end up hitting it fat. Golf specific lenses don't cause this problem for me

That's not true.

Well that was my case I guess. My other golfing buddies had similar issues too. To me, ploarized lense made the ball appear closer to me at address and I typically end up hitting it fat. Golf specific lenses don't cause this problem for me

Polarized lenses effect the way light is reflected. They reduce glare. The common issue with this in golf is generally around reading greens because it makes it more difficult to pick up nuances on the greens which your eyes generally detect due to light being reflected a certain way off the grass. I guess in theory this may make you perceive the ball different since light would be reflecting off the ball but idk. I'm not a sunglass lens expert so who knows. I don't use polarized lenses for golf because I did have trouble picking up subtle breaks on greens when I tried them. But I've never seen, or really even hear of, people having depth perception issues due to wearing non golf specific or polarized lenses.

I live in Southern California where it’s bright and sunny 395 days of the year

But in all seriousness I always play golf wearing a hat and sunglasses, I can’t fathom how anyone plays without them.....

Maybe Monte just loves his hair that much lol

I wear sunglasses.

Hats do mess up my hair, but that’s not why I don’t wear them. Feels like my head is cooking on a hot day Andre gives me a headache. Cold and rainy days I can.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I live in Southern California where it’s bright and sunny 395 days of the year

But in all seriousness I always play golf wearing a hat and sunglasses, I can’t fathom how anyone plays without them.....

Maybe Monte just loves his hair that much lol

I wear sunglasses.

Hats do mess up my hair, but that’s not why I don’t wear them. Feels like my head is cooking on a hot day Andre gives me a headache. Cold and rainy days I can.

That’s a good point, I have a disproportionately large head (it’s like Sputnik) and if I’m not wearing a hat with some elasticity in the band I usually get a headache after 18 holes

I also usually keep some ice cold water in a thermos to pour on my head/shoulders every few holes to beat the heat, it’s barbaric but it works wonders

I started wearing sunglasses golfing a few years ago. Was never a fan of wearing them until I ordered Peakvision glasses made for golf.

The lenses are progressive (I think thats what they are called) When you look up they are darker but when looking down like when to putt they are lighter if that makes sense.

I was thinking of starting to also wear yellow lens glasses during cloudy days but keep forgetting to put them in my golf bag.

When the company which was based in Stuart Fl went out of business I got a couple pairs of Jack Nicklaus Peakvision glasses for a great price. I guess Jack is still involved as I noticed he had Peakvision glasses around his neck at his Memorial tourney.

Recently I have been getting emails form Peakvision and they have a new owner. The prices are much more expensive also.

Ironically I don't really wear sunglasses any where else except for golf. Once and a while I will while driving.

I'm 59 and I have already had 2 cataracts removed. The sun is a major cause of these. Doctor says I will get more if I don't wear sunglasses. The sun is brutal on the eyes. It can also promote macular degeneration which causes blindness. Protect your eyes!!

Titleist TS2 KuroKage
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
Callaway Steelhead XR 5wd
Titleist 818h1 21*
Titleist 718 AP1 4-GW KBS C-taper lite
Titleist SM6 54* SW
Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback 2