2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Sand Valley Temp Greens

Called today. Temp greens will be in place at least till June 24 and At that time they will decide what the plan is but there is a good chance temp greens will be in place for a while. The greens struggled over the winter and they are focused on the long term success

I got a similar, but slightly different story. My trip is July 20th, so I really only care if things are good by then. The lady on the phone told me that they got some rain this past week and opened up 2 greens that were temp. They plan on the 24th or possibly July 1st at the latest. She seemed quite confident that it would be open by the time I get there, but who knows.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a slight thread jack, but those of you following this because you are playing at SV this summer may find this interesting. I am scheduled to stay/play at SV on July 8-9. I received a 'pre arrival email' from SV telling me things like I need to reserve a caddy and make a dinner reservation. Since my wife and I are planning on eating on site Sunday night, I thought I would call and see how soon I needed to make a reservation. To my surprise, The Mammoth Bar/Grill is already booked after 5pm the evening of Sunday, July 8th. But the lady on the phone said their 'steak house' will be open by then and I can make a reservation for it. She said it was called Aldo's or Alfredo's or Omar's or something like that (sorry, I don't remember the exact name). But she said they had plenty of room for reservations for that evening. So, for those of you staying on site and planning on eating, you may want to make your dinner reservation as soon as possible.

^The grill is not the biggest place really, I could see one large group or a two smaller-large groups booking it out easily.

When I was there, on the Sunday afternoon/evening I was leaving they were having a big meet/greet in there for some group that was starting play on the Monday.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On Thursday they still had temporary greens on 1, 2, 5, and 8. All looked very close to being ready. We were initially told 4 would be temporary as well, but that green was open when we got around to it.

They top dressed #1 between our two morning rounds and looked like they were about to start on #2. I would imagine they got around to the others at some point Thursday or Friday.

Interesting on the temp greens ie: conditions. Track I play out of in Colorado has to tarp the greens in the winter to insure they don’t loose them Or bad damage. Not the norm locally of course but sounds like Sand Valley has some adjustments coming to ensure it does not continue. Sure they will get it worked out. Sucks for those who booked this year

Interesting on the temp greens ie: conditions. Track I play out of in Colorado has to tarp the greens in the winter to insure they don’t loose them Or bad damage. Not the norm locally of course but sounds like Sand Valley has some adjustments coming to ensure it does not continue. Sure they will get it worked out. Sucks for those who booked this year

I guess the standard response would be that SV greens have been under the tarp longer than courses in CO. However, there are courses in Northern MN(to the point you could accidentally end up in Canada) that haven't had nearly this much trouble and needed temp greens. I'm thinking they definitely have stuff to get worked out with the greens moving forward. I wonder if it's a case of pushing a young course too fast and beyond its limits to get ready for a big season with MD opening. Full disclosure: I took one turf management class in college that was sparsely attended so I am by no means an expert.

I guess the standard response would be that SV greens have been under the tarp longer than courses in CO. However, there are courses in Northern MN(to the point you could accidentally end up in Canada) that haven't had nearly this much trouble and needed temp greens. I'm thinking they definitely have stuff to get worked out with the greens moving forward. I wonder if it's a case of pushing a young course too fast and beyond its limits to get ready for a big season with MD opening. Full disclosure: I took one turf management class in college that was sparsely attended so I am by no means an expert.

Reason I noted not the norm here. Grew up in MT so know how harsh it can get in that region. The USGA used the course I play out for Public Links Championship and has never been the same Tarps every year sincde from roughly late October/Nov to Mid March most years.

I just received a call from Sand Valley. I have a trip schedules next weekend (July 8-9). Playing SV on the 8th and MD on the 9th. The young lady on the phone said she was just reaching out to make me aware of course conditions for my visit. She said on the 8th, they will have 3 temporary greens on the front 9 of SV. As a result of this, they are lowering the price of that round from $205, to $150. I will report back after my visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some different takes on the northern courses.

It's my understanding that tarps and extra efforts to blow snow off them practiced at most of the top courses. The longer and colder weather than has ever been experienced, combined with extended periods of rain, followed by refreezing, caused the damage.

Personally, I fear that people refusing to play some of these great courses will seriously affect the financial status of these courses. Many are remote, with less play anyway + short seasons. Dramatic decreases in revenues might have serious consequences on their viability.

I remember playing Pebble Beach during water conservation years. The course wasn't perfect but it was still Pebble Beach, and the experience made me want to return.

BTW - 2 putt maximums would probably lower the scores of most.

I once witnessed a customer berating an assistant pro over course conditions - something beyond his control. Later I asked the pro if he had gotten the guys autograph, as the guy must have been a Tour pro and the conditions were preventing him from setting a course record.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

SV and other northern courses will likely to have mostly recovered by the end of July.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I received an email today regarding our trip on the 20th of July. They mentioned the 2 temporary greens and are offering 10% off. We'll be playing regardless. Have Sand Valley very early in the morning (6:50) and then Mammoth Dunes at 11:50. Guess we'll have to decide if we want to do the 3rd round free, par 3 course, or just have a few beers and enjoy the scenery.

I received an email today regarding our trip on the 20th of July. They mentioned the 2 temporary greens and are offering 10% off. We'll be playing regardless. Have Sand Valley very early in the morning (6:50) and then Mammoth Dunes at 11:50. Guess we'll have to decide if we want to do the 3rd round free, par 3 course, or just have a few beers and enjoy the scenery.

Don't miss The Sandbox. Whether you do it as the third round of the day, or the night you get in (if you aren't driving in as the sun comes up). It's a blast with buddies.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the Sand Valley temp green situation. This is as of 7/12/18. I went to SV and played 7/8/18, played Mammoth on 7/9/18. Sand Valley had 3 temporary greens (3, 5 & 8). At that time, I got about $55 off the normal green fee of $205. I was told of this situation by someone from SV about a week before I arrived. The temporary greens are actually pretty good. All were faster (and more sloped) that my home courses greens. On the 3 holes, I had 2 pars and a bogey (not bragging, just showing they are very playable). On one of the greens, I chipped from about 10 yds off the green, the chip shot checked like a regular green and ran about 4 ft after the check. I would compare the temporary greens to maybe greens you might play on in the early spring in northern climates. They are absolutely NO issue.

About 4 days later, I ran into 2 guys who played SV 3 days after I did. They said they opened one of the green on 7/10 and when they played on 7/12, there were just 2 temporary greens left.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the Sand Valley temp green situation. This is as of 7/12/18. I went to SV and played 7/8/18, played Mammoth on 7/9/18. Sand Valley had 3 temporary greens (3, 5 & 8). At that time, I got about $55 off the normal green fee of $205. I was told of this situation by someone from SV about a week before I arrived. The temporary greens are actually pretty good. All were faster (and more sloped) that my home courses greens. On the 3 holes, I had 2 pars and a bogey (not bragging, just showing they are very playable). On one of the greens, I chipped from about 10 yds off the green, the chip shot checked like a regular green and ran about 4 ft after the check. I would compare the temporary greens to maybe greens you might play on in the early spring in northern climates. They are absolutely NO issue.

About 4 days later, I ran into 2 guys who played SV 3 days after I did. They said they opened one of the green on 7/10 and when they played on 7/12, there were just 2 temporary greens left.

Good information, I just assumed(stupidly) that the temporary greens were essentially a hole and a pin in the fairway. Probably because that's the only type I've ever seen.

Good information, I just assumed(stupidly) that the temporary greens were essentially a hole and a pin in the fairway. Probably because that's the only type I've ever seen.

If they are not a hole and pin in the fairway where are they? I hear they think all greens should be open by August.

If they are not a hole and pin in the fairway where are they? I hear they think all greens should be open by August.

They are a hole and pin in the fairway. The fairway has been mowed down to green height and due to the quality of the turf, plays very similar to most greens Ive played.....maybe 10% less smooth.

They are a hole and pin in the fairway. The fairway has been mowed down to green height and due to the quality of the turf, plays very similar to most greens Ive played.....maybe 10% less smooth.

Ah. My frustration with temp greens is that you dont really getting to post a legit score. The hole ends up playing shorter than it should and the greens dont play as intended. Also lose part of the experience. Just frustrating.

With the 1st snow storm a few weeks later :)

i just booked my tee time for sand valley sept 14

is it going to be cold in wisconsin during that time of the year? even though my motto has always been no matter a hurricane or rain or snow......

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

is it going to be cold in wisconsin during that time of the year? even though my motto has always been no matter a hurricane or rain or snow......

Here's last year and historical averages, it's a lovely time of year IMHO for the more Northerly parts of the country :)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/wisconsin-dells-wi/53965/month/341539?monyr=9/01/2018

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Here's last year and historical averages, it's a lovely time of year IMHO for the more Northerly parts of the country :)

https://www.accuweat...monyr=9/01/2018

Yeah I was just being dramatic about snow storms because August is so late to open all of your greens.

September is great, October is usually not terrible either but nothing guaranteed. A couple years ago I played Troy Burne in Hudson, WI the first weekend in November and it was 65-70 and perfect out.

that's a great time to golf in Wisconsin.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find