Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

The flash sale is online when it occurs. I’ll have to see if they show up again on Thursday and they may not be the models you are referring to. The ones I’m talking about have been listed as 2016 Spider Tour Red/Black. No sight line.

Looks like they aren’t doing a flash sale today. Maybe they don’t want a conflict with their Father’s Day sales. Also, I was mistaken about the “2016” part. That was for their older model Scotty Cameron putters.

They are included in the flash sale today. $199.98

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to TM, because they all have the same 355g head weight and all only have 2g weights even if you cut it down it will still feel the same weight and same swing weight as if you purchased the short putter. I chatted with them today. I have a 34 I want to cut down. They said it would feel the same as if I bought the 33”.

Hahahaha. No. you talked to an idiot. I can assure you absolutely 100% that a spider cut down to 33 inches is 6 swingweight points lighter than a 34 and 12 points lighter than a 35 if you do not put heavier weights in the head. You can buy the heavier weights on eBay.

Any club in the world that is cut down an inch will have a swingweight that is 6 points lighter than before and will obviously FEEL significantly lighter. That is all swingweight is. It is a way to put a label on how heavy or light a head feels.

The club will certainly work just fine at a lower swingweight, but you may simply not like the putter head feeling lighter. It is strictly preference.

You need to add back about 2 grams per SW point, or 12 grams per inch cut, to get it back to the original swingweight.

Scotty Cameron’s add 10 grams per inch, right?

According to TM, because they all have the same 355g head weight and all only have 2g weights even if you cut it down it will still feel the same weight and same swing weight as if you purchased the short putter. I chatted with them today. I have a 34 I want to cut down. They said it would feel the same as if I bought the 33”.

Hahahaha. No. you talked to an idiot. I can assure you absolutely 100% that a spider cut down to 33 inches is 6 swingweight points lighter than a 34 and 12 points lighter than a 35 if you do not put heavier weights in the head. You can buy the heavier weights on eBay.

Any club in the world that is cut down an inch will have a swingweight that is 6 points lighter than before and will obviously FEEL significantly lighter. That is all swingweight is. It is a way to put a label on how heavy or light a head feels.

The club will certainly work just fine at a lower swingweight, but you may simply not like the putter head feeling lighter. It is strictly preference.

You need to add back about 2 grams per SW point, or 12 grams per inch cut, to get it back to the original swingweight.

Scotty Cameron’s add 10 grams per inch, right?

Actually, yes. Select models generally have two 20 gram weighs in 33’s, 15’s in 34’s 10’s in 35’s.

Been struggling with the putter recently, particularly on fast greens. Have tried blade styles as well as face balanced mallets and have always been intrigued by the Spider tours. My question for all of you that have success with the tour (red or black): do you still use a line on your golf ball even though there are no alignment aids on the Spider Tour? If so, was it difficult to transition from having a sightline on the putter and the ball to just the ball?

Thank you all!

Been struggling with the putter recently, particularly on fast greens. Have tried blade styles as well as face balanced mallets and have always been intrigued by the Spider tours. My question for all of you that have success with the tour (red or black): do you still use a line on your golf ball even though there are no alignment aids on the Spider Tour? If so, was it difficult to transition from having a sightline on the putter and the ball to just the ball?

Thank you all!

I had the JD red version with no sightline and putted okay with it. I still used the line but really felt the sightline would help me be more confident over the ball. After some experiments with some blade putters, I ended up getting one of the newer Spider Tour Diamond Silvers with sightline and so far I'm loving it and putting really well with it.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Thank you all!

I find I line up my putts the best with a sight line on my ball and using the line on the Spider Tour, which the newer ones have now. I struggle with alignment a lot and this has helped.

I thought all the complaints about paint coming off was just WRX being extremely picky and over reactive but I noticed it on my Spider this past Sunday. And mine is not very old either. Its a shame TM makes them so poorly and cant put just another layer of paint on so it doesnt come off so easily.

I’ve had my Spider Black for about a year and it is still in excellent condition without any paint chipping. My son has had his Spider Red for almost a year and there is pretty significant paint chipping around the insert.

I-Classic Mid - Pistol on this, very very steady, slight release with some hand action. Tried a Super stroke GT , and I just cant get along with SSG

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Thank you all!

Yes I still align the line on the ball. Putted well with it instantly and found the transition from a Newport with a line dead easy as the whole centre body of the spider putter is like an alignment aid. I would never go back to using a line on the putter again.

I thought all the complaints about paint coming off was just WRX being extremely picky and over reactive but I noticed it on my Spider this past Sunday. And mine is not very old either. Its a shame TM makes them so poorly and cant put just another layer of paint on so it doesnt come off so easily.

I've had my Spider Black for about a year and it is still in excellent condition without any paint chipping. My son has had his Spider Red for almost a year and there is pretty significant paint chipping around the insert.

My Spider Tour Black with sight line has paint coming off around the insert.

I have a Spider Tour Black...got the weights out easily and replaced. Just got a Spider Tour Red (sightline) and cannot get the weights out of it. It's almost like they're a size and shape that doesn't allow anything to fit. Very odd...guess I'll be using some lead tape.

Have you tried heating them up with a blow dryer? I had this issue with a Scotty GoLo and had to use a blow dryer to heat the weights up because they were glued in.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

I have a Spider Tour Black...got the weights out easily and replaced. Just got a Spider Tour Red (sightline) and cannot get the weights out of it. It's almost like they're a size and shape that doesn't allow anything to fit. Very odd...guess I'll be using some lead tape.

Have you tried heating them up with a blow dryer? I had this issue with a Scotty GoLo and had to use a blow dryer to heat the weights up because they were glued in.

I haven’t tried that, but at this point the weight shape is quasi-round and seems like an in between size. It’s really strange.

Can anyone tell me what the head dimensions are on the Spider? I can't find it anywhere. Is it close to 4in x 4in square? Trying to see if a custom mallet putter cover I already own would fit on a Spider. Thanks in advance!

I will confirm but I think it's probably a little less than 4x4 honestly.

I am loving my red spider tour, I much prefer the black insert over the silver in the DJ.... just wondering if anyone has has their red putter refinished to a different color and if the insert was easily removable.... Sucks to hear about all this paint flaking on the reds....

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Can anyone tell me what the head dimensions are on the Spider? I can't find it anywhere. Is it close to 4in x 4in square? Trying to see if a custom mallet putter cover I already own would fit on a Spider. Thanks in advance!

I measured mine and it's 3 3/8 long and about 3 3/4 wide at the widest part.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

I haven’t tried that, but at this point the weight shape is quasi-round and seems like an in between size. It’s really strange.

UPDATE.... Tried an allen wrench to get the weights out....it slipped and scratched the entire top of the putter. Never used it and $300 down the drain! Fantastic.

Sounds about right.

Isn't there a USGA "Conforming Club" Rule where clubs must be wider than deep ? Or at least as wide as it is deep ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sounds about right.

Isn't there a USGA "Conforming Club" Rule where clubs must be wider than deep ? Or at least as wide as it is deep ?

I haven't heard that but I'd question whether the Ping G30 or G driver meets that. Those things seemed way deeper than wide.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

Sounds about right.

I haven't heard that but I'd question whether the Ping G30 or G driver meets that. Those things seemed way deeper than wide.

Probably not.

It's a bit more complicated but the short version reads "Appendix II, 4b requires that, for all clubs, the distance from the heel to the toe of the clubhead must be greater than the distance from the front to the back (see Design of Clubs, Sections 4b(i), (ii) and (iii))."

http://www.usga.org/rules/equipment-rules.html#!rule-14608

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As much as I want to hate these putters, it's point and shoot when I try them.

So what do I go and do? Just bought the spider mini. Gaming it tomorrow morning.

That sums up my feelings exactly just before I switched to the Spider Tour Black. Came from a Scotty Newport.

Then I saw the Mini and when I looked at it, picked it up, and then rolled a few - I had exactly the same “This is ugly and there is no way I’m going to like ... oh crap that’s good” thoughts from when I first picked up a Spider Tour.

Haven’t broken down and gotten a Mini yet though. (Yet?)

I currently have the 2017 tour black and would like to try the tour red. I have liked the black without a sightline but can't decide whether or not to get the red with or without the sideline. Anyone have one without and then moved on to one with the site line? Did it help with alignment? thanks

I had the Tour Red no sightline for a while and then went through a blade putter experiment phase. Now I'm back to the Spider Tour Diamond Silver with the sightline. I like it better, personally. I like to use a line on my ball and having the line on the putter to match up with it just helps eliminate one piece of worry while standing over the ball.

I've seen some people put some sort of pinstriping on their Spider Tours instead of buying a new one. Maybe try that and see if you like it help determine if you'd want to spend the extra money?

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X