Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Hit mine for 3 rounds now. Like someone mentioned, the face looks pretty small at address (topline looks a bit chunky) and I'm not seeing a ton of added forgiveness coming from AP2.

But most importantly, distance I'm getting with these clubs are just stupid and inconsistent. I'm seeing big gaps in between clubs, especially in mid-long irons. 7i avg is 194 and 6i 226, then 5i 245.

I also get these flyers that seem to go a mile and some of these high avgs are a result of that. For 6i, my avg of eight shots was 226 but i had a high of 244 (and a low of 202, which I'm sure was not the best strike but it wasn't bad enough to delete). I have zero desire to hit these distances and these are just too wildly inconsistent for me. With AP2, I was confident that avg strike or flush strike, I was going to be within 10 yards and wasn't going to fly the green into the woods.

440053217e4b96759116fb147f5d591a1e0fa615dba4529266681120ec24be09a0ff1755.jpg

Hitting the distance you are mentioning, the P-790 are not for you. Wonder why you consider these?

Its clear you DO NOT need PLAYERS-DISTANCE irons. https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/players-distance-irons

You should think on blades or CB with traditional loft that offer consistency. https://www.golfdigest.com/hot-list/golf-clubs/players-irons

I assume graphite shafts are an upcharge?

My wife gave me the go ahead on PXG’s that I have always lusted after but still love my PTM Maltbys. But was kinda thinking thee things and i could still get new driver,hybrids and wedges for the same as an iron set of PXG.

using the Xcaliber steel fiber shafts now and love them. My elbow loves them more. Think im a graphite guy for life now.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I got a set just after they released and I was coming from a set of Mizuno JPX900 forged and for me, the 790’s weren’t as forgiving as those and they demanded a better swing to produce good results. I got rid of them and moved to a set of ping g400’s as they’re much more suited to my 10 handicap.

What made you get rid of the 900F?

Because I’m a ho....thought these P790’s were the unicorn irons. Hit them great in 2 demo sessions. Pulled the trigger and traded in the 900F’s on the P790’s. Never saw the same performance in real world on course. Hit lots of good shots with the P790’s but just weren’t as forgiving as I had hoped. I’m a decent ball striker but I’m a 10 handicap and for me...with the lack of practice time, I need something that’s more forgiving as I don’t have the A game swing as often as I’d like. But they’re great looking and my playing partner I sold the P790’s to is hitting them so so good.

Hit mine for 3 rounds now. Like someone mentioned, the face looks pretty small at address (topline looks a bit chunky) and I'm not seeing a ton of added forgiveness coming from AP2.

But most importantly, distance I'm getting with these clubs are just stupid and inconsistent. I'm seeing big gaps in between clubs, especially in mid-long irons. 7i avg is 194 and 6i 226, then 5i 245.

I also get these flyers that seem to go a mile and some of these high avgs are a result of that. For 6i, my avg of eight shots was 226 but i had a high of 244 (and a low of 202, which I'm sure was not the best strike but it wasn't bad enough to delete). I have zero desire to hit these distances and these are just too wildly inconsistent for me. With AP2, I was confident that avg strike or flush strike, I was going to be within 10 yards and wasn't going to fly the green into the woods.

Could be the ball you don't have enough backspin across the board on your irons

5i spin is definitely super low and probably 6i too. But with these jacked lofts, I'm really treating them as one club up (P790 6i as traditional 5i) and looking at it that way, spin numbers for 7i-GW don't look too out of place to me. I used V1x which is my gamer. As I understand, P790s are supposed to be lower spin and higher launch?

pgatourstats.png?resize=680%2C503

Coming from 714AP2/CB combo I needed to lower my launch, spin was decent, and p790s was solution my fitter went to with me. 718 AP2s were 2000rpm and 3 degrees higher launch with same shaft for 6i. Only other option was pxg which we didn’t try because I wasn’t about to pay that much $$$. Srixon was next best.

But that was just me, I know others launch them higher.

5i spin is definitely super low and probably 6i too. But with these jacked lofts, I'm really treating them as one club up (P790 6i as traditional 5i) and looking at it that way, spin numbers for 7i-GW don't look too out of place to me. I used V1x which is my gamer. As I understand, P790s are supposed to be lower spin and higher launch?

Coming from 714AP2/CB combo I needed to lower my launch, spin was decent, and p790s was solution my fitter went to with me. 718 AP2s were 2000rpm and 3 degrees higher launch with same shaft for 6i. Only other option was pxg which we didn’t try because I wasn’t about to pay that much $$$. Srixon was next best.

Not apples to apples. P790 6 iron is 26.5 degrees. 718 AP2 6 iron is 30 degrees.

Not apples to apples. P790 6 iron is 26.5 degrees. 718 AP2 6 iron is 30 degrees.

I disagree. Even if I hit P790 7 iron the spin would be lower than 6 iron in AP2.

I don’t get people caring what lofts their irons are. It’s about getting the correct launch angles and spin rates. Then making sure your gapping all the distances. We do this with woods all the time and no one makes these points. Some people need lower lofted irons not for “fake” numbers but because they launch the ball so high.

I disagree. Even if I hit P790 7 iron the spin would be lower than 6 iron in AP2.

I don’t get people caring what lofts their irons are. It’s about getting the correct launch angles and spin rates. Then making sure your gapping all the distances. We do this with woods all the time and no one makes these points. Some people need lower lofted irons not for “fake” numbers but because they launch the ball so high.

Taking your driver analogy, you wouldn't compare an 8 degree driver from one brand with a 10.5 degree from another and then discount the second brand as the 10.5 goes too high and you didn't compare it to the 8.

That's what you are doing here, you need to use the same lofts to determine which head is working best for you and then build the set around that regardless of the number stamped on the bottom. De Chambeau doesn't even have numbers on his!

If the TM790 gives you better numbers than anything else of the same loft then great, you've found your best fit. Until then it's not apples to apples and you might not be giving yourself the best fit.

Taking your driver analogy, you wouldn't compare an 8 degree driver from one brand with a 10.5 degree from another and then discount the second brand as the 10.5 goes too high and you didn't compare it to the 8.

That's what you are doing here, you need to use the same lofts to determine which head is working best for you and then build the set around that regardless of the number stamped on the bottom. De Chambeau doesn't even have numbers on his!

If the TM790 gives you better numbers than anything else of the same loft then great, you've found your best fit. Until then it's not apples to apples and you might not be giving yourself the best fit.

The only way I personally evaluate irons is by how well the 150-yard one (whatever number and loft that might be) is easier to hit with my desired height, spin and direction than the 150 club in some other set. Same for 120 yards and 170 yards.

I simply want the best set of clubs that cover my iron-set range of approximately 100-175 yards. If the soles said 17-18-19-20-21-22-Q-R instead of 4-5-6-7-8-9-P-G that would not bother me.

Actually, that would be kind of cool. What did I hit on that Par 3? I had to hit the 22 because the Q wouldn’t carry the front bunker into that breeze.

I really don’t understand why clubs haven’t gone to just putting a loft number on the club instead of saying 6iron or 7iron. I mean I know the reason is so one company can say these irons are 15yards longer on average than every other company. It’s like yea that’s easy to do when your loft is 4 degrees stronger.

I really don’t understand why clubs haven’t gone to just putting a loft number on the club instead of saying 6iron or 7iron. I mean I know the reason is so one company can say these irons are 15yards longer on average than every other company. It’s like yea that’s easy to do when your loft is 4 degrees stronger.

A company did exactly that. The product failed miserably.

A company did exactly that. The product failed miserably.

Ben Hogan irons? Think they do that.

I hit my previous set (714 AP2/CB combo) and the new AP2s had higher flight and way more spin than those even for me. My spin on previous set was good, launch was main issue. But spin rates and launch angles on irons you can compare even if you aren’t hitting exact same clubs. If I spin a 6i at 7000, I have a very good idea what most of the other clubs numbers will be at. So while I didn’t hit two identical lofted clubs, I can use 6i in AP2 and 6i in P790 and have a pretty close idea of the entire set. Plus if I am launching a AP2 6i like 7i numbers then what good is that club doing for me anyway. By itself I can tell if a club isn’t the right fit, I don’t need to compare the two. The 5i you’d tell me to try wouldn’t help solve anything. So even comparing apples to apples wouldn’t change my thinking of this isn’t the club for me.

Finally got my UDI and although I only had a few swings on my first 18, I was very impressed. I had a few tee shots and a few second shots and it is long. My tee shots were carrying 240-245 and off the deck I was getting about 230-235. It may replace my 5 wood for some courses.

Lot of shots left to hit but first impressions were good. Think this may be the DI I stick with. Fwiw I got the hzrdus 85 and although it's light, I get a very mid boring flight.

Pros: distance, feel, looks, relatively versatile (hit one out of the rough on a par 5 and had no issue)

Cons: weight with stock setup. Slightly higher launch than I thought I would get, but not high spin.

Edit: added side by side with my 716 CB 3-iron. (3-iron has steel)

Finally got my UDI and although I only had a few swings on my first 18, I was very impressed. I had a few tee shots and a few second shots and it is long. My tee shots were carrying 240-245 and off the deck I was getting about 230-235. It may replace my 5 wood for some courses.

Lot of shots left to hit but first impressions were good. Think this may be the DI I stick with. Fwiw I got the hzrdus 85 and although it's light, I get a very mid boring flight.

Pros: distance, feel, looks, relatively versatile (hit one out of the rough on a par 5 and had no issue)

Cons: weight with stock setup. Slightly higher launch than I thought I would get, but not high spin.

Edit: added side by side with my 716 CB 3-iron. (3-iron has steel)

Can’t wait to get my hands on mine, I’ve never played Driving Irons but I hit this one and fell in love.

Damn....You are hitting your 6 iron 25 yards further than PGA Tour average and playing off 7?! Can you not putt or what?

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

looking at the TM tour averages, it makes you feel good...then i remember they are not hitting a 30.5 degree 7i :)

this guys 6i carry is almost tour 3i average lol

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

If I were you I would question these numbers all together. What launch monitor was used? To replicate 224 carry with 137mph ball speed altitude has to be set to around 4,000 ft.

Just something to consider.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Damn....You are hitting your 6 iron 25 yards further than PGA Tour average and playing off 7?! Can you not putt or what?

Distance may not be an issue however dispersion is!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I just picked up my set as I coming from Apex CF 16 which gave me a good 2 1/2 years of golf. I just like the feel better and the looks better with the P 790's. They are a 1/2 longer and more forgiving so why not make the switch. So many other brands I tried but I'm not expecting big improvements in my scoring as I'm just out for fun and something that can help make the game a bit easier. I have been dealing with Bursitis in my left elbow so playing while in pain can be frustrating as most of my problems come from the driver. That has gotten better since I made an earlier switch as this is about the P790.

Yes the lofts are strong as I had a 12 mph cross wind and hit my 6 iron 172 yds over water, elevated green hard to hold, to within 3 inches. Ball flight was piercing and straight as an arrow. Hit my 5 iron same wind direction on a par 3 187 yds just left of the green by 12 yds. but pin level. Stuck an 8 iron wind in my face over water on a par 3 148 yds. to within 4 ft. I only played 9 holes but walked away very impressed with the way they performed as I didn't have a good swing today. Nothing ballooned on me and never had a problems with yardage between clubs, no fliers for me.

I wasn't even sure if I wanted to play because of the wind but glad I did and glad I went with the P790's as TaylorMade has a winner on their hands. There are a lot of nice brands out there as Im not saying I could not have done good with any other brand but to me they look the best out of all of them. I didn't want something with fancy badges or cavity design with multi colors or 15 different screws or shovels as I know they are TaylorMades and people seem to love bashing them as I used to be one of them but seriously TaylorMade not only makes great drivers they make great irons too.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

when i first bought the 790s i was terrified at the gapping- i think i may have finally gotten dialed in and i do really like these clubs.

love the feel, love the look.

for whomever also experienced gapping issues, have you guys been able to get a handle on these? ive seen some decide to sell their irons; i considered this, but i am happy i gave this some time.

Had these since Oct and as a guy who just loves to trade golf clubs, I am really satisfied with these irons. I have been a TM hater over the years, but no more! My bag is beginning to turn mostly TM. These irons and the M4 driver have been fantastic for me.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

I need the lofts checked on mine as I played a weekend tournament and was consistently hitting 195 yard 7 irons. That is a 25 yard increase over my AP2 712 with stock lofts. Guess I could dump the 4 and 5? That wouldn’t be a problem, but the 8 iron is only 165. 30 yard gaps are no bueno. No onset the pro’s don’t play these things! When I asked about bending them, the shop balked and said TM says not to due to the foam?? You would think foam is slightly flexible, especially since we aren’t bending the face. What is the most anyone has bent these on their own?

... Other than my pw to sw, I experienced no gapping issues with mine or any distance control problems. I bent mine 2* up and my 5-pw 1* weak with no problem. The foam has to do with bending the hosel. If you custom order them from the TM website you have the option of having them bent 2* in either direction for loft and 4* for lie, so your shop isn't being honest with you.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I had my shop bend my 3 iron 1 degree flat. Didn’t seem to be an issues with these.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61)

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

I need the lofts checked on mine as I played a weekend tournament and was consistently hitting 195 yard 7 irons. That is a 25 yard increase over my AP2 712 with stock lofts. Guess I could dump the 4 and 5? That wouldn't be a problem, but the 8 iron is only 165. 30 yard gaps are no bueno. No onset the pro's don't play these things! When I asked about bending them, the shop balked and said TM says not to due to the foam?? You would think foam is slightly flexible, especially since we aren't bending the face. What is the most anyone has bent these on their own?

when i first began using these, the gaps were HUGE. also had about 25 yards between my 7 and 8i. the lofts and lies were all off, literally each club.