Swizbeatz WITB new byron and M2 tour page 5

Interesting first competitive round. As expected it wasn’t as easy to keep up the swing changes I worked on over the winter, at the same time my ball turned much less right to left and came in steep enough to hold most greens which is huge. Speaking of, some of the worst greens I’ve ever played on. Makes me happy both my home courses are running smooth and 12, the crap spring we’ve had hasn’t hurt them but venturing out for the first time to a public track was eye opening. I’d have asked for my $ back after seeing the putting green if I had a choice.

That said, Team play match and everyone plays the same course. Got to play with a well known senior am, guy was a model of consistency and should have shot his age. Inside 12 feet on all 9 holes of the front, 16 greens total only missing the two longest holes on the back a touch short. Very impressive.

Shot -1 71, felt like a got screwed a few times by aeration holes on chips, ball would do wacky stuff like bounce straight up in the air or uphill. Hit 15 greens, bogied all 3 I missed. Struggled with the driver on the front, reverted back to sliding in front of it and hitting a smother hook. Couple layup holes on the front though and hybrid/5 wood were much better. Got pumped up at the turn, was 3 down to the senior who shot 33, and didn’t miss a drive on the back.

Played the Max with IZ 6x, will probably go back to the LS for a week or two going forward. Jumped on Trackman during a Callaway demo day, Max was spinning 2800, LS was 2400, Rogue SZ was amazing actually at high ball speeds and 2200 spin. Saw some of the same numbers with the Max that drove me to Ping LS versions starting with the G30, high launch, little high spin, way to high peak height and descent angle which kills roll out.

G400 5 wood is awesome. IZ 7x, just picked up those shafts, didn’t miss it during the match yesterday ending with hitting it to ~40 feet on the last to clinch the back 9 for me.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a solid start to the season, shooting par or under way more often than any year in the past including some away courses and tournaments. I have a high on the year of a 78, away best ball pro-am which I took a couple doubles hitting driver on tight holes with OB because it was 2 BB of 4. I've been in the 60's 4 of my last 8 rounds and haven't shot over even par so far in my clubs mens league. Qualified for our state senior/mid am with a member at my club, they take 2 of 44 teams from 3 different sites so in September we will be one of 6 teams vying for the trophy. We shot -2 in the best ball morning and +2 on a tough course in alternate shot which tied for low in the field in the alternate portion, then won a 5 hole playoff late in the day to claim second and qualify. Finished 3rd in my area tournament of champions shooting 74/71, basically everyone locally who won a CC or qualified for a state or usga event.

Had a shot at my home course record the other day, shot 66 with 8 birdies and a double on a par 3 to miss tying it by 1. I left a 3 footer for birdie short, and lipped out 2 from 6-8 feet. I got it to -6 thru 16 and then missed 15 footers on the last two, neither of the straight variety. I'm basically flagging every shot from 60-110 and not missing fairways off the tee, its definitely a lot of fun.

My bag hasn't changed much which is a recurring theme over the last few years. I'm looking at a ping hybrid to make the top end all ping but hate the fact they aren't adjustable which makes the stock shaft the only thing I've been able to hit. Currently gaming a Rogue 125 in a 9* g400 Max instead of the LS, never driven the ball better. Not a permanent change, the IZ just had the epoxy fail on the tip.

I'll add the g400 5 wood continues to be a game changer. Its the best addition to my bag in 3-4 years for sure.

All I really need to figure out is the 4 iron spot in my bag. Totally open to suggestions. I need something that flies 200-205 and goes as high as possible. I'm killing myself by making good swings from that yardage and getting nothing out of it. I switch back and forth between my 302 4 iron and a UDI with a 100 gram MCI shaft, neither go high enough or spin. I tried the 22* g400 hybrid but it goes just as far as my 20* 816 hybrid that I have no desire to get rid of. I might try the g400 5 hybrid at 25* but pretty much already did that for a year and wasn't that happy either.

All I really need to figure out is the 4 iron spot in my bag. Totally open to suggestions. I need something that flies 200-205 and goes as high as possible. I'm killing myself by making good swings from that yardage and getting nothing out of it. I switch back and forth between my 302 4 iron and a UDI with a 100 gram MCI shaft, neither go high enough or spin. I tried the 22* g400 hybrid but it goes just as far as my 20* 816 hybrid that I have no desire to get rid of. I might try the g400 5 hybrid at 25* but pretty much already did that for a year and wasn't that happy either.

That's a hard spot for me as well. It seems like I really like hitting my 3 and 5 iron and always end up shying away from the 4. What about finding an old 23 or 24 degree 816 hybrid? You could probably pick one up cheap somewhere.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

That's a hard spot for me as well. It seems like I really like hitting my 3 and 5 iron and always end up shying away from the 4. What about finding an old 23 or 24 degree 816 hybrid? You could probably pick one up cheap somewhere.

I'm gonna look around, I think due to how low I tend to hit the ball I actually have a 27* sitting around somewhere. I played it all of last year but then tended to whimp out on par 3's that called for it knowing the miss could be worse. The 23 or 24 probably ends up going too far. We have a perfect elevated green 200 yard par 3 to test this stuff on, I just need to spend an hour out there one of these days. Its glaring during my leagues and club events that are played one up, I tend to have that yardage on a couple par 5's that have elevated greens. Besides par 3's on longer courses I don't have that yardage in a ton.

Your next club after driver is 5 wood, right? Would a higher lofted fairway be a possibility? I see Ping has a G400 9 wood that has 23.5* of loft and can be adjusted to 24.5. If it went too far, you could theoretically take a little length off of it to dial it in, or even pop a steel shaft into it. In my experience, fairways have less of a tendency to go left, and with steel, it might even have a little more control. Kind of an off-the wall suggestion, but it might work.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I just got a 816 hybrid 23 degrees cut to my four iron length 38.75 (MP18 +1/2 inch) and it's perfect. Higher flight, softer landing, more forgiving, and similar distance. Great hybrids. I also have a 21 degree H1 @ D1 - 20 degrees. The gaps work well for me.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I just got a 816 hybrid 23 degrees cut to my four iron length 38.75 (MP18 +1/2 inch) and it's perfect. Higher flight, softer landing, more forgiving, and similar distance. Great hybrids. I also have a 21 degree H1 @ D1 - 20 degrees. The gaps work well for me.

That’s what I’ve been playing since making that post, so far I’m happy with it again. I just need to hit the ball higher, watching a round of our state Am this week it’s just crazy how high most of the better players hit it.

If you start looking again, these might be something to look at:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1654260-srixons-new-zu85-2-6-utility-irons/

The addition of 5 iron loft might give you what you're looking for.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 2 months later...

Solid year, won my CC for the third year in a row by 10. Nothing in the bag has changed besides I purchased the Max head I was demo'ing. Still playing a 27* hybrid instead of a 4 iron for now, plan on trying a couple driving irons in that spot. Haven't really been able to go low recently which sucks, I never shoot in the 80's including tournament rounds though which has been nice. All in all another 1-2 shot improvement from the year prior, if I can repeat that again next year I should stick in the +2 range and be able to better compete in state Am events. Unfortunately we did not play very well in the partner event we qualified for but it was still cool to be one of 6 teams out of ~120 to make the finals. I've only got 1-2 tournaments left this year and then just messing around until winter hits, hopefully be playing well into December like some of the past years.

9* G400 Max IZ 6x

G400 5 Wood IZ 7x

21*/27* 816 H1 TS 8s/Even flow blue 8s

5-PW Epon 302 Black KBS Tour

52/56/60 Scratch Wedges

Bettinardi model 2 arm lock

I'll throw some pics up at some point of a few cool bags/headcovers I've collected along with the new golf ride.

• 1 month later...

Pretty random addition but so far so good, picked up an AP2 50* to replace my 52* gap wedge. When I step on a gap wedge I get a crazy amount of draw spin when it lands which can be crappy depending on the course, my home course has firm/fast greens so it might roll 40 feet after landing. Basically now I have the 130 yard number covered a lot easier and the CB design for whatever reason doesn’t spin nearly as much. I wish I’d seen that Srixon makes a 50* because the Ap2 doesn’t feel very good compared to the epons but only care about results. Honeymoon stage but I think I’ve made birdies 5 of the 8 times I’ve hit it so far.

• 4 months later...

Walked first 9 today since around New Years in MI. Didn’t hit as many indoor balls over the winter but ramped up with a quick Florida trip along with some lessons over the last few weeks. Found a local guy who’s lesson package includes 2 hours of Trackman time to do whatever every other week which I think is a great idea for instructors.

I put the M2 deep face back in the bag before Florida and plan to stick with it again, I’m not turning the ball over as much so the spin numbers are much better instead of driver like.

Only a few things I plan to mess with. Going to order the new Betti Arm Lock just to mess around with it, probably won’t switch from the 5+ year gamer. I need to test this years hybrids and like the look of the Ping, avoided last year because of the lack of adjustability. I also need to find something in the ~195 yard 5 iron spot that either launches or spins a bunch more than what I have now, down to 6 iron my numbers were pretty optimal.

Took and M5 out its actually pretty good, hit it 7 times. I hit one on the toe that probably shouldn’t have stayed in the air as long as it did which is my standard miss. Will end up with either that or the g410 in the driver spot.

I know you've played mostly Ping drivers over the past several years -- are you looking for more distance with the M5? I know it was only a few tee shots, but how would you compare forgiveness to the G400 Max/LST you used last year? That would seem to be the biggest tradeoff you'd make in switching to the TM. I need to hit the M5, just to see how it performs. I was pleasantly surprised by the M6 -- I haven't liked the M2 or M4 drivers at all previously. M1/M3 were always better for me.

I know you've played mostly Ping drivers over the past several years -- are you looking for more distance with the M5? I know it was only a few tee shots, but how would you compare forgiveness to the G400 Max/LST you used last year? That would seem to be the biggest tradeoff you'd make in switching to the TM. I need to hit the M5, just to see how it performs. I was pleasantly surprised by the M6 -- I haven't liked the M2 or M4 drivers at all previously. M1/M3 were always better for me.

I plan on something new this year anyways, what I’ve seen on TM is the 9* Max is a touch low spin. Perfect when I hit it well, too low when I hit it on the toe. I just happened to be in the shop getting ready to go out when all the pieces for the fitting cart got dropped off, Sheldon also cracked his Ping so we both grabbed TM stuff for the hell of it.

It’s hard to say on forgiveness, I hit it well. There were two drives that made me think dialed in it might be longer but it’s early. Feels awesome on good hits, I’m not a huge fan of how it feels on slight miss hits. Launches crazy high, I had the 9*. We actually have a pretty good range of shafts for such a small CC, I think there were 5 x flex and a 9* tour head that Sheldon grabbed.

I hit the M5 today, and I agree it's a pretty solid option. I liked the feel better than the M6, and even with it not dialed all the way down to the lowest setting, it was launching in a good window. Probably not something I'll really consider picking up, since I already have 2 new heads I don't really need, but I can see why you liked it.