2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How do I get my daughter into a great school by playing golf

I am 50% sure that this post is a fake post by a regular trying to get everyone fired up! haha. Brand New ID, only a few posts, hitting on some usual hot points, with a very very stereotypical and fitting handle for the OP. If so, I think its pretty funny! It worked.

If its legit, then Welcome to the forum, Tigermom! Take the harsh responses lightly, lots of experienced posters on here who have been through the journey with their kids, they know that pushing too hard is a big mistake, thats all. I have a young golfer and have found this forum to be a very helpful resource and sounding board. Lots of good info on here that can be helpful in your journey. Best of luck with your daughter!

I am real

So you are not a robot right? Post a swing vid to prove it!!!

Only if you let me into exclusive texting club

You are member?

That was a funny response !!

Yeah... how do you get in on this? LOL

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

So...

We all do know that putting the same amount of time and resources into getting some academic support (from age six no less) as she is growing up would likely enable OP's youngster to get into an Ivy League school on her own merits, and with scholarship support to boot...right?

Might even results in her maintaining a love of without seeing it as a high-stakes avenue into a desired school.

Just this old school principal's perspective, anyway.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

So...

We all do know that putting the same amount of time and resources into getting some academic support (from age six no less) as she is growing up would likely enable OP's youngster to get into an Ivy League school on her own merits, and with scholarship support to boot...right?

Might even results in her maintaining a love of without seeing it as a high-stakes avenue into a desired school.

Mom's already got "academics covered", she said so. All she needs is 12 years of near perfect grades and testing. She's also "intensely" practicing music, she just needs one more extracurricular to round out the Ivy League applications ... top tier Ivy League, that is.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

So...

Mom's already got "academics covered", she said so. All she needs is 12 years of near perfect grades and testing. She's also "intensely" practicing music, she just needs one more extracurricular to round out the Ivy League applications ... top tier Ivy League, that is.

Different people different standards

Those with high are thankful for those with low

So...

Probably should start a soup kitchen, a youtube channel showing how she rescues puppies from kill shelters and an earthquake early detection system.

So...

Ma'am, my standards for my child are incredibly high ... They just don't involve Ivy League schools, six figure income potentials or how high on the social food chain their "connections" will be.

So...

Ma'am, my standards for my child are incredibly high ... They just don't involve Ivy League schools, six figure income potentials or how high on the social food chain their "connections" will be.

Why waste your time with your rude comments?

What difference does it make to you whether I push my kids or not?

Sounds like your kids won't be competing against them

Live and let live

So...

Why waste your time with your rude comments?

What difference does it make to you whether I push my kids or not?

Sounds like your kids won't be competing against them

Live and let live

Ma'am, we are on a discussion board, we discuss things.

And per rudeness, I believe you alluded to my standards for my child being "low".

Life is not a competition, our kids should not have to compete against one another. "Winning" isn't the same for everybody, and we should each get yo decide what our own winning us, our parents shouldn't decide for us. For your daughters sake, you should hear a differing opinion from time to time.

And per rudeness, I believe you alluded to my standards for my child being "low".

Life is not a competition, our kids should not have to compete against one another. "Winning" isn't the same for everybody, and we should each get yo decide what our own winning us, our parents shouldn't decide for us. For your daughters sake, you should hear a differing opinion from time to time.

You were rude multiples times before I responded with my "low standards" comment

Moral Licensing is a big and increasing problem in this world

The superior view you think you hold is actually very bad for society

You were rude multiples times before I responded with my "low standards" comment

Irony?

And by "superior view", are you referring to the theory of Free Will?

Irony?

Your unsolicited parenting advice

Do you have anything golf-related to share?

If not, maybe you should go to a Parenting forum to spread your gospel

Irony?

This is getting interesting!!

Don't know if you are real or some one looking to stir it up. I will say that you asked some good questions and do appear genuine - but what do i know.

This is an awesome forum for junior golf advice..so you should take advantage of it.

Away from that why specifically golf? or are you posting the same Qs in the Lacrosse, hockey and tennis chats rooms?

Irony?

This is getting interesting!!

Don't know if you are real or some one looking to stir it up. I will say that you asked some good questions and do appear genuine - but what do i know.

This is an awesome forum for junior golf advice..so you should take advantage of it.

Away from that why specifically golf? or are you posting the same Qs in the Lacrosse, hockey and tennis chats rooms?

My daughter is trying many different sports

We want to encourage her to find what she loves AND is also good at

She seems to like golf the most for now

I'm not sure whether it what she would be best at

I think it is very important to participate in sports for many reasons

Healthy lifestyle, sportsmanship & etiquette, building competitiveness, setting goals and working towards them

Becoming a more well-rounded student is another plus

And this is what's wrong with America today.

Why?

Your daughter is 6 ... She plays a musical instrument "intensely" and is "very athletic" and you have academics "covered" and are looking at extra curricular activities to get her into an Igy League school. How bout you let her be a freakin kid and decide what she wants to do wit her life instead of you living the life you wanted through her?

Ok so parents pushing kids to be the best is what's wrong with America today?

I would argue that parents prioritizing "having fun" over everything else is what is wrong with America today

I would argue that anonymous people on the internet judging each other and telling them how to live their lives in a tone and manner that they would never use in person is what is wrong with America today.

Everyone wants others to be civil, but feel they have the moral authority not to be civil themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

agreed!

:deadhorse:

Haha that gif made me laugh. So I will offer some advice. I know you are not looking for parenting advice but I am going to tell you my personal experience based on my own background.

Different sport (tennis) but I was many years ago very good if I dont say so myself :-) Parents really pushed me too much and I got very burned out and hated the sport by the time I was 13/14. Looking back it was clear they were trying to live their own dreams through me. However, I was still very good and one of the best in the nation by the time I was 15. I was traveling the world and when you are elite then schooling becomes very much an afterthought. I dont agree with this but it was how it was in my experience anyway. I know a lot of people who didn’t do schooling to try and make it and had nothing to fall back on. Very few make it...

I kept playing and me “quitting” was coming to play college (I am European).. I didn’t have the grades Ivy leagues look for since school was not a big deal and just seen as something that took me away from my “job”. Anyway, I was still approached by Ivy leagues because of my athletics. This is not a brag here even though it will probably sound like it but I did end up being ranked as high as no1 in the NCAAs, albeit not with an Ivy League but a very big school you will all know. In hind sight I should have gone the Ivy League route or a tier 1 academic but again, the mentality at the time was who cares about education... I really just came to college to get away from my parents and get something to fall back on as I hated tennis by this point.

Now, I am telling you this to say that being elite at a sport can definitely get you preferential treatment, even for admissions for Ivy League. I am not sure how good you have to be but I know I was given that chance. However, my experience was that they also somewhat dictate your degrees and classes. Meaning if you are not a walk on then they very much discourage you from doing classes that require a ton of work.

Happy to answer anything else but I will leave you with this. I was very much forced to do things I didn’t want to do and in some ways I am glad my parents did that as I have no clue where I would be without my degrees and moving to the US where I love have a great career, and have a family that I wouldn’t change for anything. However, on the other hand I have a lot of resentment and it completely ruined any relationship I could have had with my parents. Looking back I cannot remember many fun times with them at all. Now I have a daughter and do not talk to my parents at all. They have never met my daughter, didn’t come to my wedding etc.

This is just my experience and my 2 cents. I want my daughter to play golf and other sports and she will do something as I know commitment and discipline has helped me no end in the professional world. But I almost hope she doesn’t get elite at something and I sure as hell won’t push her too hard as my biggest fear in life is for my daughter to look back and look at me the same way I do with my own parents.

Cheers

• Like 1

agreed!

Haha that gif made me laugh. So I will offer some advice. I know you are not looking for parenting advice but I am going to tell you my personal experience based on my own background.

Different sport (tennis) but I was many years ago very good if I dont say so myself :-) Parents really pushed me too much and I got very burned out and hated the sport by the time I was 13/14. Looking back it was clear they were trying to live their own dreams through me. However, I was still very good and one of the best in the nation by the time I was 15. I was traveling the world and when you are elite then schooling becomes very much an afterthought. I dont agree with this but it was how it was in my experience anyway. I know a lot of people who didn’t do schooling to try and make it and had nothing to fall back on. Very few make it...

I kept playing and me “quitting” was coming to play college (I am European).. I didn’t have the grades Ivy leagues look for since school was not a big deal and just seen as something that took me away from my “job”. Anyway, I was still approached by Ivy leagues because of my athletics. This is not a brag here even though it will probably sound like it but I did end up being ranked as high as no1 in the NCAAs, albeit not with an Ivy League but a very big school you will all know. In hind sight I should have gone the Ivy League route or a tier 1 academic but again, the mentality at the time was who cares about education... I really just came to college to get away from my parents and get something to fall back on as I hated tennis by this point.

Now, I am telling you this to say that being elite at a sport can definitely get you preferential treatment, even for admissions for Ivy League. I am not sure how good you have to be but I know I was given that chance. However, my experience was that they also somewhat dictate your degrees and classes. Meaning if you are not a walk on then they very much discourage you from doing classes that require a ton of work.

Happy to answer anything else but I will leave you with this. I was very much forced to do things I didn’t want to do and in some ways I am glad my parents did that as I have no clue where I would be without my degrees and moving to the US where I love have a great career, and have a family that I wouldn’t change for anything. However, on the other hand I have a lot of resentment and it completely ruined any relationship I could have had with my parents. Looking back I cannot remember many fun times with them at all. Now I have a daughter and do not talk to my parents at all. They have never met my daughter, didn’t come to my wedding etc.

This is just my experience and my 2 cents. I want my daughter to play golf and other sports and she will do something as I know commitment and discipline has helped me no end in the professional world. But I almost hope she doesn’t get elite at something and I sure as hell won’t push her too hard as my biggest fear in life is for my daughter to look back and look at me the same way I do with my own parents.

Cheers

Great post. Glad to hear things worked out for you in the end. Were your goals at 9-10, 11-12, etc. your own or did they evolve from parent goals?

Wasn't sure Federer was going to pull it off yesterday. Looked like he necked a few easy returns but his first serve placement was darn near perfect.

• 8 months later...

agreed!

Cheers

Thanks for sharing this mgrowc1. Sorry to hear that about tennis and your parents, but it's awesome you're trying to do it differently with your daughter. My parents (really my Mom) kept trying to push me to do my best growing up - go to the best schools, excel in tennis (put me in those Adidas Standford tennis camps), etc. I ended up getting into some pretty good colleges (Boston College, USC, LMU) and played college tennis a few years, but gave tennis up until a few years ago. I just took it up again because my kid enjoys playing and will play HS tennis.

As they say, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." I still enjoy tennis after the long hiatus, but now I wish I started golf when I was younger. Ironically enough, my Mom wanted me to golf when I was young, but I didn't listen to her and thought golf was boring (I started golf after college). Basically, I did it on my own terms and have loved golf since.

We have friends who have golfers that got full rides to D1 top schools. They've told me that the kids that dominated in golf growing up, half of them never had the same success after their body changed and the other half just burned out because it was like work and hated it. I hear that a lot from the others on this forum too. It's definitely a long road with a lot of x-factors and you want to balance in having fun and doing their best.

TigerMom - Good luck to your family and daughters. I'm sure you will do what's best for them. Hopefully you can take away some positives from everyone's own experiences growing up.