Top Courses that disappointed

Curious what top courses left you disappointed. I’ve played a couple this year that were fun, but I expected to be blown away. Oakland Hills was one of them.

Any courses jump to mind?

Comments

• LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,899 ✭✭
    I agree with Oakland Hills. It was over sold to me, not really the course’s fault.
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,547 ClubWRX
    Torrey Pines South. Views were outstanding, the course was good. For a tournament course, especially one of US Open stature I expected more in terms of layout and shot value. Don't get me wrong, Torrey Pines South is a good course but I've played courses that I felt were a much better test, especially for a US Open.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • jaw1978jaw1978 Members Posts: 83
    Shot Values sounds like Golf Digest course rater lingo.

Agree on Torrey - amazing views, so-so course with ok conditioning. Mostly fun to play because you recognize the holes from the PGA tourney.
  • joeplus2joeplus2 Whoa...Barry Sanders! Members Posts: 113
    how exactly did you get out on Oakland Hills? I presume you are referring to the North course? Even new members (after a $75,000 up front joining fee) can't play the south for the first YEAR of their memberships
    South course. Set up for me by a friend. Played solo. It was early May, so conditioning was just ok due to the harsh winter, but that wasn’t what I was underwhelmed by.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,362 ✭✭
    Spyglass by far. Decent layout for the most part, but 17 and 18 are meh at best. Value-wise it's a bust. Great course for $200 - $250, but not at $450+.
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,470 ✭✭
    Crooked Stick in Indiana. It is in good shape and well maintained. There are a few really good holes on each side, and a few filler holes on each side. The first hole is a short straight par-4 with nothing interesting about it; typical Pete Dye philosophy of easing into the round. I want to like it more when I am invited and go to play it, but walk away wondering what all the hype is about.
    Epic Flash Subzero with Synergy Black Proto 60TX shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Synergy Black Proto 65TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 406 ✭✭
    For the price Whistling Straits was a disappointment. I like the course, but is was so contrived and forced. Give me Erin Hills and BWR River over WS.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    If only there was an existing thread in plain sight right below yours:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1222838-most-overrated-course/
    Thank goodness we have you around to do our research for us.
  • golfnhackgolfnhack Members Posts: 2,530 ✭✭
    Torrey Pines South - Not worth the $240... at all.

Bay Hill is summer time. Don't bother unless you can play it around the tournament.

Now... a course that blows me away every time I play it..... Beth Page Black.
    "Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 406 ✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:

If only there was an existing thread in plain sight right below yours:

http://www.golfwrx.c...errated-course/

Overrated, and disappointing are two different things IMO. While both are subjective, overrated plays to others (notably national ranking systems and gurus) ideas related to our own. Disappointment IMO ranks our own expectations to our experience.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    edited Jun 21, 2018 #14
    jaw1978 wrote:

Thank goodness we have you around to do our research for us.

Thanks! I appreciate your support. And yes the 'research' was exhaustive... looking at what is staring me in the face... it was tough.

And thank you for a redundant thread. God speed diligent you, god speed.
  • joeplus2joeplus2 Whoa...Barry Sanders! Members Posts: 113
    jaw1978 wrote:

South course. Set up for me by a friend. Played solo. It was early May, so conditioning was just ok due to the harsh winter, but that wasn’t what I was underwhelmed by.

wow, I'm stunned. Your friend must have some serious pull. But yes, after a horrible winter I doubt it was in close to top shape. Now for the US Open, Ryder Cup, Us Am.....perfection.
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,494 ✭✭
    Lake Nona Country Club

The course is nice by all means...it's just not 'wow' nice and certainly not 'country club' nice.
    Long Live Nike
  • PoserPoser Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭
    I've always thought for the price Pinehurst #2 is very overated.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,301 ✭✭
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,852 ClubWRX
    For me it was Torrey Pines South...loved the experienced...enjoyed it, but walked away thinking it wasn't as "grand" as it appears on TV. The water hazard on TV looks HUGE...seeing it person...it's tiny.
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    The only two courses I've gon into expecting more than I got were the Brabazon Course at The Belfry and TPC Boston. TPC Boston is just uninspiring. Meh layout except for #2 and #12. The Brabazon, I admit, was in 2013 during the drought, so I'll give it a pass on the conditions. However, I was somewhat underwhelmed with the layout except for #10. They had a "Hit the Green" challenge going and I bounced one off the green-side edge into the creek for my near miss from the whites. Incidentally, the PGA National course there was a pleasure to play.

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • P.J.P.J. Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I was a bit disappointed with Royal County Down. The conditions were spectacular and the course was very interesting. But by the end I felt like I hit nothing but blind tee shots all day. Felt like I saw the course in 200 yard sections the whole day. It was a let down tbh
    Ping G400 9.5* w/ Project X Hzrdus Yellow
    Ping G SFT 16* w/ Aldila Rip Phenom 80s
    Ping i20 20* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 85s
    Ping S55 4-PW w/DG X100 AMT
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* w/DG X100
    Odyssey #7 Tank
  • Outpost31Outpost31 Why don't we just wait here awhile...see what happens... Members Posts: 315 ✭✭
    How much was Pinehurst #2?
  • DancinDancin Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Not exactly that highly rated, but TPC Tampa Bay is one course I expected much more from. Conditions were fine but the layout and design were meh and completely forgettable. It's a huge step below other TPC properties I've played (about half of them).
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,144 ✭✭
    Doral.... didn’t like it at all.
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,732 ✭✭
    Chambers Bay....
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    Another vote for Torrey Pines south. Meh.
  • bryhbryh Members Posts: 17
    Torrey Pines South. Views were outstanding, the course was good. For a tournament course, especially one of US Open stature I expected more in terms of layout and shot value. Don't get me wrong, Torrey Pines South is a good course but I've played courses that I felt were a much better test, especially for a US Open.

Totally different playing it before a tourney. They get the rough to nasty lengths and thickness.....definitely a test if your off the fairway.
  • PoserPoser Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭
    urkslaven wrote:

prices vary but, usually in the 450-500 range. About 400 to much
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,732 ✭✭
    Poser wrote:

urkslaven wrote:

prices vary but, usually in the 450-500 range. About 400 to much

Just played No.2 a couple of weeks ago. Cost currently is $385.00 when I was there and you have to take a caddie so figure in another $125-150.

*I was invited to fill in with 3 members of the resort and given I was with them it was a very nice reduced and I was not required to take a caddie.

It is still walking regardless.
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,017 ✭✭
    edited Jun 23, 2018 #30
    joeplus2 wrote:

jaw1978 wrote:

wow, I'm stunned. Your friend must have some serious pull. But yes, after a horrible winter I doubt it was in close to top shape. Now for the US Open, Ryder Cup, Us Am.....perfection.

Oakland Hills South is not that hard to get on. No more than any other higher end private club. Totally agree it's underwhelming. Imo it's not even in the top 3 in Detroit.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • DoubleorQuitsDoubleorQuits Members Posts: 376 ✭✭
    Ballyneal-good, but not great course. Most likely a victim of too much Doak hype.

Double Eagle-living off of exclusivity, nice place and course, but no business on a Top 100 list.

Philly Cricket-Wissahickon Nice enough, but on my Philly trip it was easily #5 of 5 courses played.

Dormie Club-what a mess, hopefully the new owners get it where it could/should be.

Old MacDonald-too wide?