Garmin Z80 GPS/Laser Ranger Finder Hybrid - The official thread

I used the Z80 for my last two rounds and I'm impressed. I agree wakeup time is a bit slow and targeting may not be as easy as Bushnell Pro X2 but seeing accurate distances to all the hazards, front and back of green as well as exact distance to pin at the same time is worth the price I paid.

My golf buddy wasn't impressed when I told him what the Z80 did, told me he prefers traditional rangefinders but whenever we came up to a hole where there were some hazards he started asking me to shoot the flag and tell him the distances to the traps and water. By the end of yesterday he was ordering one when he got home.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the battery life. After 2 full rounds of use I still have 85% battery left so not quite as good as traditional rangefinder but 1000 times better than traditional gps / gps watch which barely gets me through 27 holes.

85% after two full rounds is fantastic for GPS (especially combined with laser). I have some credit at my local golf shop and they can order them, but still on the fence.

I used the Z80 for my last two rounds and I'm impressed. I agree wakeup time is a bit slow and targeting may not be as easy as Bushnell Pro X2 but seeing accurate distances to all the hazards, front and back of green as well as exact distance to pin at the same time is worth the price I paid.

My golf buddy wasn't impressed when I told him what the Z80 did, told me he prefers traditional rangefinders but whenever we came up to a hole where there were some hazards he started asking me to shoot the flag and tell him the distances to the traps and water. By the end of yesterday he was ordering one when he got home.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the battery life. After 2 full rounds of use I still have 85% battery left so not quite as good as traditional rangefinder but 1000 times better than traditional gps / gps watch which barely gets me through 27 holes.

85% after two full rounds is fantastic for GPS (especially combined with laser). I have some credit at my local golf shop and they can order them, but still on the fence.

I think it's due to the design being more like an electronic view finder on a camera versus the LED screens on GPS. Plus it goes into standby mode pretty quick. If you have any other questions let me know.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

...You do charge it via a usb so I don’t think battery can be removed.

So what happens when the internal rechargeable battery eventually dies?

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter

...You do charge it via a usb so I don’t think battery can be removed.

So what happens when the internal rechargeable battery eventually dies?

Given it only used 15% of the battery after 2 rounds, it's not like a traditional GPS device that will require recharging after every round so that should help the battery to last longer. I also noticed in the area where the USB port is, there are screws that provide access to the internals which is where I suspect the battery is located so while it may not be an item a consumer can replace, it could be replaceable from Garmin.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think it's due to the design being more like an electronic view finder on a camera versus the LED screens on GPS. Plus it goes into standby mode pretty quick. If you have any other questions let me know.

I did have one more question. Can you turn the unit on and use it as a laser rangefinder without selecting a course? For example if you went to a driving range without a course and wanted to shoot yardages to the flags?

I did have one more question. Can you turn the unit on and use it as a laser rangefinder without selecting a course? For example if you went to a driving range without a course and wanted to shoot yardages to the flags?

Yes, I have used to to shoot yardages in my backyard. It still shows the course overview image but it has no impact on shooting distances on the course or anywhere else. .

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Yes, I have used to to shoot yardages in my backyard. It still shows the course overview image but it has no impact on shooting distances on the course or anywhere else. .

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. Will probably wait and see if there are any 4th of July specials through Ebates or any other retailers (not likely since it is so new) but still waiting for my elbow to fully heal up from this tendonitis so not in a super rush.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. Will probably wait and see if there are any 4th of July specials through Ebates or any other retailers (not likely since it is so new) but still waiting for my elbow to fully heal up from this tendonitis so not in a super rush.

Just make sure you test it in store because it looks different through the eyepiece compared to a traditional rangefinder. I think Garmin uses electronic viewfinder technology so what you see when looking through it, isn't as crisp due to the resolution of the viewfinder compared to the standard rangefinder where you're looking through glass.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Just make sure you test it in store because it looks different through the eyepiece compared to a traditional rangefinder. I think Garmin uses electronic viewfinder technology so what you see when looking through it, isn't as crisp due to the resolution of the viewfinder compared to the standard rangefinder where you're looking through glass.

Thank you for the heads up, it shows my local PGA has them in stock so I will stop by and take a look at one in person.

I absolutely Love mine. Takes a second to get use to the screen as you aren't looking through glass. Went in to look at the Bushnell Hybrid and walked out with Z80. Being able to see the distances to hazards when I'm shooting the pin is unreal. Knowing what I need to carry the water/sand etc. You do have a mode where you can use it like a traditional rangefinder for range etc

Well I just ordered a z80 via eBay. eBay 15% off coupon made it 510 so no brainer.

Get it next week and will give a review

FYI....I got the Bushnell Hybrid 2 weeks ago from golf galaxy and hated it. Took it back on Monday and got $$$$ back. Maybe I got a bad one but for $400 I expected it to be better!!

I picked mine up today at my local golf shop. Had some trade in credit and they knocked 10% off for an early 4th of July sale so I can't complain.

Edit:

So I got a chance to try it out at the house this afternoon. The viewfinder reminds me of the small LCD screens in Fatshark goggles used for drones (it is definitely a good quality LCD). I get where people say it does not look as good as as a standard rangefinder that has traditional optics, but it does not look bad. I definitely have no complaints. It has a regular range finder function without playing golf, so using that I compared distances with my Leupold. While it took a minute to get used to sighting things with it, once I did the yardages were spot on with my Leupold. Obviously I have not had a chance to try it out on the course but I based on the usage and knowing it has the additional GPS functionality I am really happy with it.

I think the Z80 is revolutionary in that it provides exact distances while providing course overview information for hazards and potential layups in a graphical view versus just the numbers the Bushnell Hybrid provides. I used it to play a course I wasn't familiar with and having exact yardages plus insight to where hazards were that were not visible by eye made the course more manageable (not that my bad shots still didn't end up in some of those hazards anyway). Battery life is really good and the delay to wake up the device is easily managed by holding it on the way to the next hole. If the screen was slightly higher res I'd give it a 10/10.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think the Z80 is revolutionary in that it provides exact distances while providing course overview information for hazards and potential layups in a graphical view versus just the numbers the Bushnell Hybrid provides. I used it to play a course I wasn't familiar with and having exact yardages plus insight to where hazards were that were not visible by eye made the course more manageable (not that my bad shots still didn't end up in some of those hazards anyway). Battery life is really good and the delay to wake up the device is easily managed by holding it on the way to the next hole. If the screen was slightly higher res I'd give it a 10/10.

How bad is the wake up? Holding it on every hole sounds like a big pain

It's a couple of seconds, nothing major. I am usually last to hit so I'll just pick it up while heading over to my ball. The unit activates from the grip of your hand underneath the device. If you don't use it on every hole it will go from sleep mode to off, in which case you have to wait for it to power back on and initialize which takes between 15 - 20 seconds.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It's a couple of seconds, nothing major. I am usually last to hit so I'll just pick it up while heading over to my ball. The unit activates from the grip of your hand underneath the device. If you don't use it on every hole it will go from sleep mode to off, in which case you have to wait for it to power back on and initialize which takes between 15 - 20 seconds.

I figure I will be using it on about every approach shot I am going to be using it so there is little chance of it turning off (short of a bathroom break or stopping by the clubhouse). Especially if you are the only one with a Garmin, your buddies will keep hitting you up for yardages to layup or hazards. As for the wake up time it is just like you said a couple seconds.

It's actually pretty impressive once you got used to its nuances. I just wish there was a case or some mounting solution I could use with it so I'm not worried about it flying out of the cart. I've resorted to keep it in its case in the cart front storage area, but its tight getting it in and out.

Battery life is actually pretty impressive. I bought mine used off a member here and he charged it to 100% for me. I received it June 23rd, have played two rounds with it, shut it off after each round, took to range tonight, still had 35% battery left.

Overall pretty happy with it - just want to be able to use a stick it with it and you cant

It's actually pretty impressive once you got used to its nuances. I just wish there was a case or some mounting solution I could use with it so I'm not worried about it flying out of the cart. I've resorted to keep it in its case in the cart front storage area, but its tight getting it in and out.

Battery life is actually pretty impressive. I bought mine used off a member here and he charged it to 100% for me. I received it June 23rd, have played two rounds with it, shut it off after each round, took to range tonight, still had 35% battery left.

Overall pretty happy with it - just want to be able to use a stick it with it and you cant

Worst part about it is the case, it's too tight but I've found if you insert it eyepiece first it's easier to remove as there is more surface area to grab onto.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

So my 1st round with z80 was good.

It took me most of round to get use to the aiming and hitting flag. Kinda of jumpy at 1st but got use to it by back 9

The sleep mode didn’t really both me but I walk exclusively. Maybe issue for cart riders or someone that doesn’t range every hole?

Conpared yardage’s via laser with playing partner. Seem to be within a few yards each hole and.my game isn’t that fine. Although I did have a few holes where front yardage from gps was more than lasered flag yardage? No biggie as the flag was within a few yards of front edge

I love the distance to trouble off tee and estimated driving distance line. Would be invaluable on new course

Playing a new course this weekend and will give another review after

No regrets so far!!

Did anyone else's do a software update? I played a tournament today and, charged it on the way up to the tournament in the car. Either the charger didn't agree with the unit, but when i went to turn it on it was doing a slow red blink indicating a software update. By the time I figured a way to power cycle the unit, it had 4% battery left and was useless. I need to email Garmin to see if it auto pushes updates, because it renders the unit unusable compared to a traditional range finder.

IT could have been rapid flashing but its tough to know the LED status if you've never seen rapid vs slow, if it was rapid red it was in energy saving mode charging according to the manual.

Moral of the story - best to charge it the night before the round.

Did anyone else's do a software update? I played a tournament today and, charged it on the way up to the tournament in the car. Either the charger didn't agree with the unit, but when i went to turn it on it was doing a slow red blink indicating a software update. By the time I figured a way to power cycle the unit, it had 4% battery left and was useless. I need to email Garmin to see if it auto pushes updates, because it renders the unit unusable compared to a traditional range finder.

IT could have been rapid flashing but its tough to know the LED status if you've never seen rapid vs slow, if it was rapid red it was in energy saving mode charging according to the manual.

More I played with this unit tonight I think I'm just an idiot, unit can't push software updates, although there is one available if you USB to your computer, one which supposedly helps keep unit from going to sleep mode inadvertently

More I played with this unit tonight I think I'm just an idiot, unit can't push software updates, although there is one available if you USB to your computer, one which supposedly helps keep unit from going to sleep mode inadvertently

Have you noticed the improvements in the software update?

Played today after a full nights charge. Outside of one hickup initially during the start of the round when it wouldnt wake up and I had to restart the unit - it was warned during the update process that it might require a restart. Anyways, unit was much more responsive picking it up and using it to range a shot after it had been sitting in between shots.

there is a range only mode without course overlay as well

there is a range only mode without course overlay as well

I had found that setting on mine as well. But thank you for following up.

He’s my review:

Design: Looks and feels nice and light, it’s ergonomic to the hand.

Screen: Takes a bit to get used to looking at an LCD instead of a scope. Requires a steady hand because when you shake, the LCD is a split second slow to show you moving so it’s almost counter reactive to steady the movement of your hand. Note: when holding the lens up to sunglasses your eye is a bit far from the screen so it almost makes it a bit hard to see the edges. You almost want to press your eye closer.. most scopes it doesn’t matter because you’re just looking at the centre crosshair and not all the extra info around the sides like this one.

Accuracy: I seems accurate but a bit prone to false readings because it takes bit of re learning to zero into a flagstick (see above). Also gives you the yellow flag acquisition signal even on some other objects like people on the green. Also there is no audible or vibration confirmation. The way it locks onto a target is also a bit different.. you press the button and then the centre circle spins for about 2 seconds until it is satisfied with the target. That’s the critical 2 seconds where you can’t deviate from a flag. Other rangefinders will confirm the target almost instantly if you have it located right away. This rangefinder always seems to need the 2 seconds even if you’re on the target the whole time.

Sleep mode: I updated the software and it is a non factor. By the time you touch the bottom rubber of the unit as you’re removing it from the case or picking it up, it’s ready to go by the time you put it to your eye. Also it never turned off even though I didn’t use it for a few holes.

GPS: works really nice and it’s just like looking a a gps through the lens.

Plays like: the plays like feature is a bit lacking because it doesn’t show you the actual yardage, only the adjusted slope yardage.

Battery: seems good, 70% remaining after a round.

Case: a bit snug and tough to get out, could have made the sides cut lower to get a grip on the unit.

Pin pointer: really neat and works great for blind shots.

I picked up my Z80 this afternoon and will take it to the course tomorrow. I'll report back in more detail once I have had some time with it.

For now though, I will say my first impressions are very good. It is not heavy but still feels like a high quality piece if kit. As others have mentioned the included case is too tight. Odd slip-up by Garmin there. Doesn't bother me as I'll be putting it directly into a velour lined pocket on the front of my bag.

I compared it to my Bushnell Pro X2 with some targets around my neighborhood and the lasered yardages seem to agree pretty much exactly, as you would expect. Viewing the world on an inbuilt screen is certainly different to looking directly through the viewfinder optics. Still, it seems like the screen resolution is good enough for this to not be a concern.

I picked this up to replace the afore-mentioned Pro X2 and a Garmin G8. I have always used both laser and GPS as I find there are enough important situations that one or the other will not handle. It will obviously be nice to only have a single rangefinder that covers everything. I have also had an annoying issue with each of my existing laser and GPS that the Z80 should solve. 1. My hands are not as steady as they once were so I sometimes have trouble picking up the pin from longer yardages. Hopefully the image stabilization in the Z80 will solve that or at least mitigate it. 2. My eyesight is also no longer what it used to be (getting old sucks!) so I have trouble reading the yardages on the G8's small screen. Now that I will be viewing those through the adjusted viewfinder they should be nice and crisp.

Really looking forward to getting on course tomorrow. I'll try to answer any questions you guys might have so fire away.

I picked up my Z80 this afternoon and will take it to the course tomorrow. I'll report back in more detail once I have had some time with it.

For now though, I will say my first impressions are very good. It is not heavy but still feels like a high quality piece if kit. As others have mentioned the included case is too tight. Odd slip-up by Garmin there. Doesn't bother me as I'll be putting it directly into a velour lined pocket on the front of my bag.

I compared it to my Bushnell Pro X2 with some targets around my neighborhood and the lasered yardages seem to agree pretty much exactly, as you would expect. Viewing the world on an inbuilt screen is certainly different to looking directly through the viewfinder optics. Still, it seems like the screen resolution is good enough for this to not be a concern.

I picked this up to replace the afore-mentioned Pro X2 and a Garmin G8. I have always used both laser and GPS as I find there are enough important situations that one or the other will not handle. It will obviously be nice to only have a single rangefinder that covers everything. I have also had an annoying issue with each of my existing laser and GPS that the Z80 should solve. 1. My hands are not as steady as they once were so I sometimes have trouble picking up the pin from longer yardages. Hopefully the image stabilization in the Z80 will solve that or at least mitigate it. 2. My eyesight is also no longer what it used to be (getting old sucks!) so I have trouble reading the yardages on the G8's small screen. Now that I will be viewing those through the adjusted viewfinder they should be nice and crisp.

Really looking forward to getting on course tomorrow. I'll try to answer any questions you guys might have so fire away.

So will you be selling your G8? I'm in the market for one.