2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Juniors in the Future?

Success on Tour?
Do you guys think the top ranked juniors and amateurs of today will be successful on the PGA Tour and professional golf in general? I feel they will because most of todays top Pros were the best in their younger years as well, although I have my doubts because the level of golf on the PGA Tour is nowhere near the same as say the AJGA. So what do you guys think?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot will crash and burn for one reason. Alot of the juniors on tours dont do it for the love they do it because their parents are pushing them which is the same on most cases. I really think only a few will make it. Those who start a little later in lifecan be more succesful I mean look at the difference between Nick Thompson and Arjun Atwal. Atwal first got a club when he was 13. Nick has played his whole life and he isnt making any cuts you know. Its just luck, talent, raw ability.

I agree with all of that...

To add on to what flo said, you do have to look at the kids that have a true drive and passion for the game, not the kids that are being forced persay. Do I think some of these top junior players will make it on the PGA Tour, yes. Take Adam Hogue for example, member here, he is a senior in high school, a +4 handicap, and has had sucess playing against the best players in the world of his age. If Adam is able to go through with the Wolf Pack, and not get burnt out, yet still have that passion to pursue being a professional golfer, there is a damn good possiblility he will suceed. The simple question to your question Plat, is yes, because all of these guys that are ranked in the top 100 in the world are damn good players, they know what it is like to win, and the confidence of beating opponents at high levels is what you need mentally to pursue playing golf for a living.

When you say "I have my doubts because the level of golf on the PGA Tour is nowhere near the same as say the AJGA. So what do you guys think?" I want to put this into perspective, there is a reason why there are elite junior golf tours available for junior golfers to play on. The AJGA for juniors is the equivlilant to the PGA tour tour pros. Aspiring junior golfers are given the oppertunity to play against the best players of their age, and PGA Tour guys have the oppertunity to play against the best players in the world. What a kid needs is confidence and aspiration to go out there and do it. Someone could be a better 'player' all their junior career, but if that kid does not have the confidence in their game and drive to compete at that level, the kid that does will most likely get to where he wants to go.

- Bryan

To add on to what flo said, you do have to look at the kids that have a true drive and passion for the game, not the kids that are being forced persay. Do I think some of these top junior players will make it on the PGA Tour, yes. Take Adam Hogue for example, member here, he is a senior in high school, a +4 handicap, and has had sucess playing against the best players in the world of his age. If Adam is able to go through with the Wolf Pack, and not get burnt out, yet still have that passion to pursue being a professional golfer, there is a damn good possiblility he will suceed. The simple question to your question Plat, is yes, because all of these guys that are ranked in the top 100 in the world are damn good players, they know what it is like to win, and the confidence of beating opponents at high levels is what you need mentally to pursue playing golf for a living.

When you say "I have my doubts because the level of golf on the PGA Tour is nowhere near the same as say the AJGA. So what do you guys think?" I want to put this into perspective, there is a reason why there are elite junior golf tours available for junior golfers to play on. The AJGA for juniors is the equivlilant to the PGA tour tour pros. Aspiring junior golfers are given the oppertunity to play against the best players of their age, and PGA Tour guys have the oppertunity to play against the best players in the world. What a kid needs is confidence and aspiration to go out there and do it. Someone could be a better 'player' all their junior career, but if that kid does not have the confidence in their game and drive to compete at that level, the kid that does will most likely get to where he wants to go.

- Bryan

Thanks for the comments Bryan. I appreciate it. I would like to play on tour one day and I wont stop attempting that dream until I die. There are many junior golfers that I have played with that I would put money they will be on the PGA Tour one day. There are some d*mn good juniors out there and they can take their game to the next level.

Adam

a bit off topic here how would someone rate a person who has a 12.7 handicap and has only played 8 months?

Flo, although you have a ton of hard work ahead of you, it is never too late, and never let that spirit get you down. What are you, a Sophmore/Junior in highschool now? Although it is never impossible, a D1 school may be setting your bar too high. I would keep on working on your game, and when you reach that age when you need to decide which road you want to take in life, let your game and confidence guide you in the right direction. There are a lot of guys going to Q-School when they are 30+ years old, so the tour is never out of the question, it is just a ton of hard work to get there - I think the only advantage of playing solid golf when you are young, is it is easier to have access to tourneys that you will shine against the best players of your age range.

I did a lot of work over the winter on my swing, and was around a 3.3-3.8 at the end of the summer, but the way I played last week when I went down south, I would be confident playing off a 2 right now. Even with the level I am at, I have a LONG road ahead of me, and practice practice, and more practice to get where I want to be.

Adam, the comments where humbly given, from the articles I have read about you, I fully respect you has a player, and from what I have gathered you are good guy as well. I know we are chasing the same dream, and if all goes well we will be playing against eachother one day, whether it be College, Mini Tours, or the PGA. Best of luck to you! I am looking at LSU right now, as my family grew up there, and Baton Rouge has always been a home for me, so best of luck to you, and I know college will treat you well.

- Bryan

a bit off topic here how would someone rate a person who has a 12.7 handicap and has only played 8 months?

Flo, although you have a ton of hard work ahead of you, it is never too late, and never let that spirit get you down. What are you, a Sophmore/Junior in highschool now? Although it is never impossible, a D1 school may be setting your bar too high. I would keep on working on your game, and when you reach that age when you need to decide which road you want to take in life, let your game and confidence guide you in the right direction. There are a lot of guys going to Q-School when they are 30+ years old, so the tour is never out of the question, it is just a ton of hard work to get there - I think the only advantage of playing solid golf when you are young, is it is easier to have access to tourneys that you will shine against the best players of your age range.

I did a lot of work over the winter on my swing, and was around a 3.3-3.8 at the end of the summer, but the way I played last week when I went down south, I would be confident playing off a 2 right now. Even with the level I am at, I have a LONG road ahead of me, and practice practice, and more practice to get where I want to be.

Adam, the comments where humbly given, from the articles I have read about you, I fully respect you has a player, and from what I have gathered you are good guy as well. I know we are chasing the same dream, and if all goes well we will be playing against eachother one day, whether it be College, Mini Tours, or the PGA. Best of luck to you! I am looking at LSU right now, as my family grew up there, and Baton Rouge has always been a home for me, so best of luck to you, and I know college will treat you well.

- Bryan

Thanks again Bryan. Best of luck to you in all your tourneys and your college decisions.

PS: Just dont go to UNC. :kewlpics:

Adam

- Bryan

Thanks again Bryan. Best of luck to you in all your tourneys and your college decisions.

PS: Just dont go to UNC. :kewlpics:

Adam

UNC will be one of the places I will be looking, because that is where my parents are settling (the whole in-state tuition thing... :vava: ) but we'll have to see what the next few years brings me as of offers/options of where I can go! BTW, the putter looks awesome!!!!

***BACK TO TOPIC*** :aggressive: :angry:

As far as the original question of Who of the juniors will be the best pro my answer is Mu Hu, he is an unbelievable talent who does it for the love of the game, also Peter Uihlein, and Philip Francis... i think those are the leading candidates...Adam i wish you the best of luck to and woul like to see ytou succeed. Hopefully i will be playing against you in 2 years time. another junior from up my way Adam Cohan is now playing for Georigia Tech so we will see how he does. Another friend from junior golf Michael Soowal ranked 50th committed to Clemson a little while ago i believe. he's a hell of a player as well. hopefully i can compete with him as we move up to the college ranks.

GoOsE :kewlpics:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

As a College player now, ex-junior player, I've been through the motions of the AJGA's and played with some unbelievable players. As a junior I played probably 15-20 AJGA's including Rolex and HP Boys, 2 of the "Majors" of the AJGA. The talent on the AJGA circuit is ridiculous and it's just getting better. There are so many juniors and college players that have the ability and talent but there are many factors that determine whether they can actually go to the next level. Myself personally, in junior golf in Southern California I won my fair share of tournaments during my time and considered myself to be one of the top juniors. As for college it is a big step from junior golf and the step to the PGA is a whole nother story. I think a big part is where players peak, some guys on tour didn't play much junior golf at all but peaked at the right time and then rode it out. Other players peak at a young age and then struggle from then on. A friend of mine I played junior golf with and now attends Oklahoma, Anthony Kim, is probably one of the greatest players I have ever seen. Whether he will be able to make it or not is unknown but he dominated the junior circuit and is now playing very well in college. As flomarilius said the pressure that parents put on juniors to play well and practice is enormous and a large number of those juniors get to college where they have some freedom and slack. One thing is for sure though, the talent in the junior circuit today is probably the greatest it has ever been and there is no doubt in my mind that many of the juniors today will be future stars on the PGA tour.

I've been playing for 3 years now first handicap was 45 off 8.5 now and coming down. But man you need to practice hard. I mean i try to practice every day or so but i live next to the golf course. But im still learning.

Anyway you guys might like to take a look at Oli Fisher probably best junior in UK hes off +4 and has had success in faldo series.

I think the main key to acheiving sucess is a good parental structure, I know, I know you need to have alot of things go right, have a good work ethic and mental game on top of a good teacher and the right equipment to maximize your game, being born somewhere hot probaly doesn't hurt either, But I mean if you have parents who yell at you on the course, are you really gonna find golf that enjoyable?

I played with a golfer in the provincal optmist last summer and I played awful, But I kept my head straight and tried to make the best of the situation and ended up making friends with one of my playing partners (we have played several times outside of tournament golf), the third guy he played with had his mother following him the whole round and he never said a word to either me or the other guy and he looked absolutely miserable, then on about the 13th hole he lagged a twenty footer up to about a foot and he went for a quick tap-in and the put lipped out and rolled to about 5-6 feet away which he ended up missing and 4 jacking for double, the whole way to the next tee and as we sat on the next tee waiting she continued to yell at him and all me and the other guy could do was watch and we felt bad for the kid, he had alot of game but could you honestly see this kid going anywhere with this game?

Adam

Eric Chun is just ripping it up in Australia at the moment along with Jason Day who i believe won the world junior last year are both going to be great players.

Eric is only 16 and he has left school and plays and practices to the extent where his mum has to lock him in the house so he cant get to his net in the back yard. I think he came in a tie of 15th in the Australian open this year and has really got game.

Brent

I play up in Canada and play a ton of tournament golf up hear but the competition is nothing like down there. I went over christmas and played an event in florida and I was the 2nd best canadian and finished 11th in the event or something. All the kids from florida and other southern states just ripped us apart. although I am trying to get a golf scholership I find it hard to keep up with you guys because I can only golf 7 months a year although I go through alot of golf training in the winter to try and keep me going. Im 16 yrs old, 1.8 handicap. Won half a dozen CJGA (canadian junior golf assosiation) Ranked #4 in canada in cjga. I also won a little tour called the ping tour which won me a set of s59's which i dont use. I also won my club championship by 4 shots shooting +2 total for 4 rounds. How would I compare to players in the states and how do I get involved with the ajga? I am trying for the us junior, us amateur and us public links this year as I have to start playing golf in the states and getting better competition. How do I get involved with the ajga as I found the website really confusing. I think if you've never played before you can only play in certain events or something but can someone explain that for me.

Thanks

Gligser

I play up in Canada and play a ton of tournament golf up hear but the competition is nothing like down there. I went over christmas and played an event in florida and I was the 2nd best canadian and finished 11th in the event or something. All the kids from florida and other southern states just ripped us apart. although I am trying to get a golf scholership I find it hard to keep up with you guys because I can only golf 7 months a year although I go through alot of golf training in the winter to try and keep me going. Im 16 yrs old, 1.8 handicap. Won half a dozen CJGA (canadian junior golf assosiation) Ranked #4 in canada in cjga. I also won a little tour called the ping tour which won me a set of s59's which i dont use. I also won my club championship by 4 shots shooting +2 total for 4 rounds. How would I compare to players in the states and how do I get involved with the ajga? I am trying for the us junior, us amateur and us public links this year as I have to start playing golf in the states and getting better competition. How do I get involved with the ajga as I found the website really confusing. I think if you've never played before you can only play in certain events or something but can someone explain that for me.

Thanks

Gligser

Gligser,

The AJGA was very confusing for me as well when I first started out, this will be the first year that I will be playing in events. The AJGA works on Preformanced based entries, and qualifiers. I do not know if the AJGA achnologes CJGA events, but it is very possible. As you do well in events, or win other selective events around the country and possibly in Canada, you get more 'preformance stars', and in any particular regular season event, they will fill the feild with X number of PB Entry (exempt players) and then the rest will be filled by qualifiers which will be played most of the time at a different course (sometimes the same) in that area. If you are interested in playing in the AJGA this year, which with your age I would strongly reccomend; I would sign up for your membership and start planning out for tournaments VERY soon, some of the tournament applications have already been opened, but since this IS your first year playing, you will possibly be playing in some qualifiers to get into events. Now there is also preseason and postseason events that are first come first serve where you are guarunteed to play...you just have to sign up early enough.

If you have any questions, you can PM Adam Hogue, Cameron Circle T, I know that they have both had a lot of experience in the AJGA.

- Bryan

Im the same age as Flores, and I played with him a few years ago in Sunriver, Oregon. Anyone gets a chance, go play there, its sick. Anyways, I just knew that he was going to be a solid player, and at the time I had doubts about competing with kids like him. But after working my a** off for a few years, Im now a starter on my division 1 golf team and I know for certain that I can play with anyone. I was one of those who just matured later.

Thanks

Gligser

Gligser,

The AJGA was very confusing for me as well when I first started out, this will be the first year that I will be playing in events. The AJGA works on Preformanced based entries, and qualifiers. I do not know if the AJGA achnologes CJGA events, but it is very possible. As you do well in events, or win other selective events around the country and possibly in Canada, you get more 'preformance stars', and in any particular regular season event, they will fill the feild with X number of PB Entry (exempt players) and then the rest will be filled by qualifiers which will be played most of the time at a different course (sometimes the same) in that area. If you are interested in playing in the AJGA this year, which with your age I would strongly reccomend; I would sign up for your membership and start planning out for tournaments VERY soon, some of the tournament applications have already been opened, but since this IS your first year playing, you will possibly be playing in some qualifiers to get into events. Now there is also preseason and postseason events that are first come first serve where you are guarunteed to play...you just have to sign up early enough.

If you have any questions, you can PM Adam Hogue, Cameron Circle T, I know that they have both had a lot of experience in the AJGA.

- Bryan

Gligster,

I do believe that the AJGA recognizes the CJGA and if u won those 4 events like you said then you should have at least gotten some additional Performance stars to add to your ajga PBA status. Im trying to find my players manual for the AJGA but i seem to have misplaced it in my mess of a room............nvm just found it..a yes here it is..if you look at the boys Performance Based Entry Boys Exemption Table (this can be found on AJGA.org) under notes it says that you can earn up to 2 exemptions per year from other tours such as CJGA(canadian jr golf assoc.),IJGT(international jr golf tour),FCWT(future collegians world tour),JGS(Jr golf scoreboard),PJGT(plantations jr golf tour),RCGA(Royal Canadian golf assoc.),SJGT(Southeastern jr Golf tour). It says that 6 events on the CJGA can ean you 1 exemption. you also get one if you are on the RCGA order of merit top 25. I hope that this helps you out a little.

Dan "GoOsE" :)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

• 1 month later...

Just to add a little something, I am also a junior and have a friend that I think is the future of golf. His name is Lance Lopez, he has won 4 or 5 AJGA events. And just this week shot 63 at a PGA tour pre qualifier for the Shell Houston Open. All this doesn`t mean he will be a pro golfer, but he is just raw talent. There are many players like him, and I`ve played with tons of them, but its mainly just luck and being at the right place at the right time. Also, anyone else playing in the AJGA Ping at the Woodlands this weekend? If so good luck, its a very tough field.

Justin

i just read a artical ont phillip francis, drew kittleson and ester choe, all of which are arzona junior golfers. For thoose of you who dont know phillip drew or ester they are some of the best jr. players in the nation. phillp is numbers 1 in the boys junior rankings and drew is a second tean ajga all american. ester is in the top five in the junior rankings. All have won numerous national events and have collage scouts all over them. I have got to play with phillip in some aga events and 1 junior event. he is a great kid and has a good head. I also asked him about his future....he said this is wat i love and i want to continue this as long as possable. So as i read this artical i realized hey all these kids love the game. one quote i loved was from drew. "you realy have to make sacrafices for this game, your social life is almost no existent but its worth it....expecualy if you go on to greater things". this realy hit me hard, i have been playing since i was 2 but not realy practicing and playing tourneys till i was 13ish. I have resently found this amazing love for the game and practice after school till dark.. i also play in MANY tourneys, my schedule already has 21 tourneys over the summer and i understandmy social life wont be there but when im playing great golf it makes nothing else realy matter. My votes for phillip and drew.

P.S. if u live in arizona and dont get the az golf magizing pick up the latest issue there are some GREAT articals including the az jr's artical.