2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone else dread being announced as the low handicap?

Cpm881

Whether you're a 0 playing with some 10s, or a 10 playing with some 20s, anyone else dread being low handicap man in a group? Nothing kills a score like your buddy announcing to the group how "good" you are, how far you hit it, or that you are a "__" handicap.

And why do so many people start the round asking everyone's handicap? Unless we're betting w/ strokes, lets all shoot 10 over our handicaps in peace.

Maybe just me

Get off my lawn!!!

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I'm often the lowest hcp in a group. If I've joined a group and someone asks what my hcp is, I usually just say I'm about a 10.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Not normally, but I also post my scores accurately and honestly so I know that I will most likely play to my handicap. What's frustrating however is when people ask after the round "So you are a 3 handicap but you shot an 80? You must have played really bad today huh?" Uhh no, I normally shoot high 70's low 80's and you don't know how the handicap system works.

Nope. I'm often the lowest hcp in a group. If I've joined a group and someone asks what my hcp is, I usually just say I'm about a 10.

Hahaha. Yeah. 98% of the time I’m the lowest in the group and I usually sandbag my skill level up a bit if there’s no betting or team play going on.

No one wants to be “the stick” in the group on the first tee and have a crummy day. I like to just say something like, “I might break 80 if I have a good day”.

Edit.....ok...I’ll admit it. It’s sort of fun to say “I might break 80” and then surprise people with a 69 or 70 now and then. LOL!!

... you don't know how the handicap system works.

This. Most people think having a 5 hdcp means you should shoot 77 every time.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

It doesn't bother me. I've been awesome for a long time, so I've had a chance to get used to it.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

It doesn't bother me. I've been awesome for a long time, so I've had a chance to get used to it.

Don't sell yourself short. You're a transcendent player in the Maine area

I'm the best player no one gives a crap hearing about! ;)

edit: That was more a joke post, if anyone didn't get that.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Doesn't bother me....I have been 3 or less for years and I get used to it....but....funny experience a few years ago. I went out to play a local course as a single and get paired out with a group of 3 guys who are all around 10-15 'caps. goods guys and good fun.....on the 8th hole I am -1 and stripe a drive up the center of the fairway. One of these guys says to me.... "Man, you are hitting it good today....what's your handicap?" I reply that I am a 2.....he looks at me and says "Really? I thought you would be better than that" :taunt:

I asked him how many 2's he knew or ever played with...he just shrugged and walked off towards his ball....almost no conversation for the rest of the round. :stink:

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Doesn't bother me....I have been 3 or less for years and I get used to it....but....funny experience a few years ago. I went out to play a local course as a single and get paired out with a group of 3 guys who are all around 10-15 'caps. goods guys and good fun.....on the 8th hole I am -1 and stripe a drive up the center of the fairway. One of these guys says to me.... "Man, you are hitting it good today....what's your handicap?" I reply that I am a 2.....he looks at me and says "Really? I thought you would be better than that" :taunt:

I asked him how many 2's he knew or ever played with...he just shrugged and walked off towards his ball....almost no conversation for the rest of the round. :stink:

And that’s why it’s often best not to even talk about it.

There are basically 3 types of people when it comes to this.

1. Those that love the idea of playing with a low cap. Enjoy the good play. Maybe learn something.

2. Those that couldn’t care less one way or the other. Who cares. It’s just a game.

3. Those that really get truly upset at playing with a stranger that’s far better than they are. Jealous, insecure, or both.

You obviously ran into number 3.

No. Theres some notoriety being the best player in the area, because people wanna play with good players. I have gotten to meet some people I would never have met before but because they heard/knew I could play they wanted to play with me. It is a nice feeling knowing that people want to play with you, I never have to worry about finding a group.

Played with a twosome today at a course I stunk up a few years ago...they asked my cap and I said it’s trending at 10.5 they said they were much higher. I proceed to shoot my worst round, probably since I played there. Shot a 98 and I’m sure they thought I was lying about my HC. Funny though, my HC didn’t change after I entered today’s disaster round?

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Doesn’t really bother me except when guys are like, “you’re a 4 so you should shoot 76 today”. Then they proceed to jack it up in the rough all day and pick up 6 footers for bogey because they’re “out of the hole”. At the end of the day the 15 shoots a 78 and doesn’t post it.

Cobra LTDx Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5i

Srixon Z785 6-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Played with a twosome today at a course I stunk up a few years ago...they asked my cap and I said it’s trending at 10.5 they said they were much higher. I proceed to shoot my worst round, probably since I played there. Shot a 98 and I’m sure they thought I was lying about my HC. Funny though, my HC didn’t change after I entered today’s disaster round?

Index is calculated using the lowest 10 out of your last 20 rounds. That disaster round obviously didn’t get used.

It’s also why it isn’t “easy” to shoot your handicap. Your index is not your average score. It’s quite a bit lower than the average.

When I'm asked, I tell them I'm probably somewhere around a 15. I usually got a lot of eye rolls from those I've played with before when I say that though. Especially when I seldom ever shot above 80 back then.

Now I just tell people that I don't keep score anymore so I really have no idea. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Index is calculated using the lowest 10 out of your last 20 rounds. That disaster round obviously didn’t get used.

It’s also why it isn’t “easy” to shoot your handicap. Your index is not your average score. It’s quite a bit lower than the average.

Yes...it's a gauge of your potential. Though it can be difficult living up to your potential. :-)

It can be fun too.....i've been invited to play several times by people i work with because of my low index. It can be a good way to make connections in business

I understand some aspects of what the OP says though, i lot of people don't understand how indexes work. So you say you're a 1 they expect you to shoot like 70-72. I mean it's possible but not likely

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yup I never pull my weight in team events and I usually feel pretty bad about it. Sticking to failing at individual events now.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

It can go both ways, depending on the guys you play with. I have 1 group where I'm middle of the pack, and another where I am the only low handicapper. As one of the guys said earlier, there are several groups of guys out there, and most have never seen anyone shoot low. I play a course with a high slope/rating (74.2/130), so a round in the 72-75 range, which is most of my decent days, adjusts my handicap accordingly. But I am NOT the guy that will go to any muni, play from 6200 and beat the rating, which is usually around 68. Most guys think I'll need to shoot 66, but it doesn't work that way. The system is misunderstood, and misinterpreted.

I’m the low handicap at our corporate events. It bothers me because even if I play well, I can’t win because someone with a 28 handicap will have a good day, shoot 20 over where as I would have to shoot -8 to beat them

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I play in a lot of flighted 2 or 3 better ball tourneys (just did this morning) and there's always a few remarks early, usually on the first tee, about carrying the team. I'm not sure why people need to do this but I use it to focus a bit more, knowing I can't take a hole off. I like it.

What I don't like is when the B player, usually a 7-10 hc, doesn't hold up. That's where I sometimes to see the vanity cappers. The C's and D's tend to help more.

Thanks for the explanation, I never knew that and it clears up a lot.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

A club I used to belong to didn't have very many low single digit players (and I wasn't one of them). For many years I'd play in the annual "opening day" ABCD random pairing scramble tournament in the spring. I'd always end up as an "A" player even when my handicap was 11-12. Since I didn't take many trips to warmer climates during winter at that time in my life, my game was always really rusty around the time of that tournament, I'd play like crap, and always felt like I was letting everyone down vs. their expectations of the "A" player in the group. I stopped playing in the tournament, even though it's just a silly scramble, just because I didn't want to be seen as the better player of the group.

Whenever someone in a random public course pairing asks me what my handicap is, I usually say "around 10" even though it's 6-7 right now. I do agree with the other posters that many of those not familiar with the handicap system seem to think a 10 handicap, for example, is likely to shoot around 10 over par every time, whereas that is actually supposed to be his potential and not a typical score. My GHIN card has a 1-over par score on a higher than average rating/slope pulling down my index calculation right now, but that's like a once every five year occurrence for me to shoot that kind of score.

Another "Low cap" incident about 10 years ago......my wife and I were on holidays in Thailand and I went to a lovely course that I knew well. I was at the desk in the shop talking to the golf pro (Who I knew) and was discussing getting out as a single when I heard a woman behind me say "My husband and I would like to get out too...what is your handicap?" I replied that I was a 1 to which she said "I don't think we want to play with you....all you low 'cap guys are so serious" They were a very British middle aged couple. I told them I was on holidays and was just looking for a fun round. "OK...let's play together"

I shot 1 under and they both shot, what they said were, very good rounds for them and we all had a great time....my wife took pictures and we all got together for dinner later in the evening. They later said they had a great time and apologized for their handicap comment but at their club in the UK all the low caps were full of themselves and serious about every part of the game all the time.

We played again later in the week and have become long distance friends over the years.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Has my boss the other day asked if I golfed, I said “yeah, a fair bit”. He asked if I was any good, the dreaded question.

I’ve found the best answer is just saying that I can keep pace and not slow the group down. That’s the most important thing about a good day on the course with someone. I don’t care if you shoot 90 or 68, if you don’t dilly dally or lose balls, you’re a good enough golfer to play with anyone

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

I get this a lot these days, being a +3 at a pretty small club lends itself to these situations. 90% of the time people are fine and a lot of people say they enjoy playing with a low cap cause to them I'm "the tour pro" quality golfer (far from it in reality but they don't know that). Mind you, the other 10% seem to think i should shoot 65 every game somehow, and anything less is a disappointment. Matter of fact just last week, one of our members asked me to play in his group to try and impress a client of his. At the end of the day he said to me "you just didn't have your magic today, its a shame, those guys were keen to see some really good golf". When.i informed him that I'd just had a 67 (-5) and that i was really stoked with how I'd played, he just said yeah i guess and left. Lesson learned, don't expect anything in return for helping out....