2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

ALL THINGS INDIANA GOLF

marmooskapaul

Anyone been down to French Lick this year yet?

Have a July trip to crooked stick, French lick(dye and Ross course), and then Sycamore Hills

Anything we should add? Take out?

What kind of conditions should we expect then?

You should add me to the group at Crooked Stick!

But seriously, you have a hell of a lineup. If you have more time to add to the lineup there are courses within a short drive that could be paired the same day with Crooked Stick, like The Fort or Prairie View would be 15-20 minutes, or even Brickyard Crossing would be 30ish minutes away. Not sure if Wolf Run reopened this year or not as redevelopment has been under major consideration there, but if it's open and you can get access do that as a pair with Crooked Stick.

Expect the usual summer heat/humidity/thunderstorms. Conditions will not be an issue where you've listed.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations for my recent visit to Indianapolis. We played The Fort on Saturday morning. It was a breezy morning, which made made it more of a challenge. But what a beautiful golf course - elevation changes, rolling terrain, a mix of narrow and wide fairways. Pete Dye did a great job here. The rough was thick, deep and wet. The sand was consistent in the traps I found myself in - very fluffy by comparison to my home course. My only criticism was the greens. Though they looked smooth, they were somewhat bumpy which made it difficult to hole a putt (I only made 1 put outside of 3 feet all day). And they were not as fast as the practice green, which I always hate. But I would definitely play the course again. The staff was friendly and we regularly were greeted by rangers asking us how the course and pace were - there was an open tee time and 3some in front of us and we didn't wait on a shot until the 16th hole (they were part of a large group playing a scramble).

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Anyone been down to French Lick this year yet?

Have a July trip to crooked stick, French lick(dye and Ross course), and then Sycamore Hills

Anything we should add? Take out?

What kind of conditions should we expect then?

You should add me to the group at Crooked Stick!

But seriously, you have a hell of a lineup. If you have more time to add to the lineup there are courses within a short drive that could be paired the same day with Crooked Stick, like The Fort or Prairie View would be 15-20 minutes, or even Brickyard Crossing would be 30ish minutes away. Not sure if Wolf Run reopened this year or not as redevelopment has been under major consideration there, but if it's open and you can get access do that as a pair with Crooked Stick.

Expect the usual summer heat/humidity/thunderstorms. Conditions will not be an issue where you've listed.

Ha! Rack rate is $250 there billed to our club...walking is more expensive then riding as well

Yeah, crossing fingers for 70* and sunny...take that over 90* and humid!

Brickyard has an event that Monday, which is why we added Sycamore instead

I've played Sultans a number of times and love it. It's managed by the folks at French Lick. Super staff. I always have a good time there.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on Heartland Crossing Golf Links in Camby?

I've been watching this offer tick down on the clock. A little over 12 hours left. $16 or so.

https://www.groupgolfer.com/deals.php?id=1010861&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=heartland-crossing-links-in-1010861&utm_content=baseline

I've been watching this offer tick down on the clock. A little over 12 hours left. $16 or so.

https://www.groupgol...ontent=baseline

You are getting what you are paying for, if that. I like the layout of the course, plenty of scoring opportunities, but the condition is very spotty. At least that is how it was about a month ago when I played it. Fairways were okay though some with dandelions growing through them, but the rough had 15 different types of grass growing in it and not cut consistently so I lost a few balls in the rough that I probably should have been able to find. I live 5 minutes from it so played it quite a bit last year and the condition was similar, but the one round I played this year definitely didn't make me want to come back for more.

https://www.groupgol...ontent=baseline

You are getting what you are paying for, if that. I like the layout of the course, plenty of scoring opportunities, but the condition is very spotty. At least that is how it was about a month ago when I played it. Fairways were okay though some with dandelions growing through them, but the rough had 15 different types of grass growing in it and not cut consistently so I lost a few balls in the rough that I probably should have been able to find. I live 5 minutes from it so played it quite a bit last year and the condition was similar, but the one round I played this year definitely didn't make me want to come back for more.

Thank you very much for the honest assessment! My buddies and I live a couple of hours away. So I think we'll pass then.

• 2 weeks later...

Indiana WRX 2018 Outing

Saturday August 4

Tee times start at 10:34 AM

Royal Hylands Golf Course

Knightstown, IN

http://www.royalhylandsgc.com

I've reserved a few times at Royal Hylands for us to have an outing this year after the first two fell through. $49 with cart for 18 is their weekend rate, and they have a nice clubhouse and grill if we want to eat afterward. If anyone wants to do 36 or play any games we can discuss the day of, though that wouldn't be mandatory. Otherwise, this is just a social get-together to play and meet one another.

If you haven't played at Hylands, it's well worth the trip. It's a parklands style course that is always in great shape with some elevation change and some tricky, sloped greens. Don't let the 6050 distance from the whites fool you, it will sneak up and bite you if you hit an errant shot. Not only has it ranked in the top 5 in Indiana on Golfadvisor.com the last 3 years, the course also ranks among the best value courses in the USA and the friendliest courses in the country (https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/5822-royal-hylands-golf-club/).

So bottom line, wherever you are in the state or nearby it's well worth the trip to join us that day. It's roughly 30 minutes from the 465/70 interchange on the east side of Indy, and is easy to get to from the highway.

Guests are welcome to join us. Please RSVP here in the thread or to me via DM. I'm happy to answer any questions as well!

• 4 weeks later...
Indiana WRX 2018 Outing

Saturday August 4

Tee times start at 10:34 AM

Royal Hylands Golf Course

Knightstown, IN

http://www.royalhylandsgc.com

I've reserved a few times at Royal Hylands for us to have an outing this year after the first two fell through. $49 with cart for 18 is their weekend rate, and they have a nice clubhouse and grill if we want to eat afterward. If anyone wants to do 36 or play any games we can discuss the day of, though that wouldn't be mandatory. Otherwise, this is just a social get-together to play and meet one another.

If you haven't played at Hylands, it's well worth the trip. It's a parklands style course that is always in great shape with some elevation change and some tricky, sloped greens. Don't let the 6050 distance from the whites fool you, it will sneak up and bite you if you hit an errant shot. Not only has it ranked in the top 5 in Indiana on Golfadvisor.com the last 3 years, the course also ranks among the best value courses in the USA and the friendliest courses in the country (https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/5822-royal-hylands-golf-club/).

So bottom line, wherever you are in the state or nearby it's well worth the trip to join us that day. It's roughly 30 minutes from the 465/70 interchange on the east side of Indy, and is easy to get to from the highway.

Guests are welcome to join us. Please RSVP here in the thread or to me via DM. I'm happy to answer any questions as well!

Gonna pull the plug on this due to lack of interest.

Got a 4some headed to southern Indiana this weekend for some gambling and golf. Any recs to the best tracks around Evansville? def willing to drive and hour or so. Sultans looks amazing. You guys played Victoria N lately?

Cambridge just north of Evansville is a very fun links style course. There is just a tiny bit of water, and zero trees. That had 1 tree a few years ago but removed it. The 2nd hole, a par 5, is a fun risk reward hole. Conditioning is up and down, they get a lot of rounds played there. But the layout is enjoyable.

Coming down from Chicago for two nights first week of Sept.(2018) ...

Played last visit;

- The Fort ( good track, all enjoyed it )

- Brickyard Crossing ( loved it )

- Prairie View ( Played first 9 in heavy rain, had to give up on back, rain got heavier )

- Purgatory ( none of us us (4-some) thought it was a destination course. We have many

better that we play here in town. ) Actually, we thought the course was over-rated.

We want to play this time...

The Fort and Prairie View.

What 2 courses would you add to the rota?

Got a 4some headed to southern Indiana this weekend for some gambling and golf. Any recs to the best tracks around Evansville? def willing to drive and hour or so. Sultans looks amazing. You guys played Victoria N lately?

Victoria is in great shape, which one can say anytime of the year basically. That being said the turf down here has has more than the usual challenges with various patch diseases, extended high temps with high humidity. The Agronomy staff at VN have managed to keep VN in the conditions that are deserving for a course that maintains its national ranking. If you can get out this weekend temps are supposed to be a bit cooler, would be quite the weekend., Can't comment on the gambling scene other than Ellis Park is a nice diversion, curious to see how the new owners manage over the next few years.

Sultans is another great layout from Tim Liddy that unfortunately can not be maintained as it once was. If you can look past that a bit it would be fun track and is in my opinion the best public course by far in the area.

Cheers

<><

Victoria is in great shape, which one can say anytime of the year basically. That being said the turf down here has has more than the usual challenges with various patch diseases, extended high temps with high humidity. The Agronomy staff at VN have managed to keep VN in the conditions that are deserving for a course that maintains its national ranking. If you can get out this weekend temps are supposed to be a bit cooler, would be quite the weekend., Can't comment on the gambling scene other than Ellis Park is a nice diversion, curious to see how the new owners manage over the next few years.

Sultans is another great layout from Tim Liddy that unfortunately can not be maintained as it once was. If you can look past that a bit it would be fun track and is in my opinion the best public course by far in the area.

Cheers

<><

Just curious...can anybody get on V. N. ?? No plans to go there...but always thought it was private.

Cheers

<><

Just curious...can anybody get on V. N. ?? No plans to go there...but always thought it was private.

Private. There are offerings for corporate accounts and maybe have your Pro make call as an unaccompanied guest. If you are located around Newburgh becoming a volunteer at the Web.com event will not only get you on VN once or twice, it's just a good time. The staff at VN are are a fun group and truly seem to appreciate the volunteers.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the latest regarding conditions at Rock Hollow?

HH and I played it yesterday. Greens were pretty patchy/sandy in spots and were recently verticut. But they were still fast, even when bouncy. The rough was worse than the fairways with patchy grass. Fringe/collars around the greens were a bit ugly too. Problems like that got worse as the round went on. 5* layout but they had 8 cars in the parking lot yesterday, on a day where we had to drive up there to play because of rain in Indy. So i'm guessing they just struggle to afford maintenance.

Has anyone played up in Angola, IN near Trine University? Me and a buddy are trying to play a golf trip and we have a place to stay up there, not sure how the courses are in the area and if any of them are must plays? We are also looking into southern central Michigan for some courses.

Noble Hawk is worth a play up that way. In Michigan check out Angels Crossing south of Kalamazoo (http://golfangelscrossing.com)

I second Noble Hawk. It is my favorite course in the Fort Wayne area. It is less than 40 minutes from Trine University according to Google Maps. They have great all day rates on Monday and Wednesday. Glendarin Hills is on 10 minutes from Trine. It is a very nice course, just a little overpriced. I would definitely play it based on where you are staying. Another recommendation is The Medalist Golf Club which is in Michigan but straight up the interstate less than an hour from where you are staying.