ben hogan ft worth black irons

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I am in the championship bracket of the match play event. Ben Hogan team rushed my order in time to practice a bit on the range during the scorchy heat in Arizona before the event.

I had been using Pro V1 for my previous set of Apex CF16/Pro. After couple range sessions using NXT Tour S practice balls, I realized that I might need AVX for my Black set. Did not even try new balls and irons in a practice round until the first match and controlled perfectly in every shot using Ft Worth Black! Tour-V X performs better on course because of the balls that I preferred to play with instead of range balls. Honestly, I'm surprised that I am more consistency with Tour V X, especially with forged blades. Still gonna tweaking the irons anyway :)

I am hoping to see if there are golfers in Phoenix area using PTx and others then meet up at the range to try out the clubs. Let me know!

13.5 BRNR | 18* G430 5W | 22* G430 4H
P7TW 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!! Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!! Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice. Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

Nice. Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

Those PTx are really nice irons, too. Was on the site looking at the blacks and when I saw the PTx, it was instant dilemma LOL I am strongly considering ordering a set of the blacks though... between the V sole and the finish, I am thinking they are some irons with real potential for me. Even though I really do not need them.

Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Those PTx are really nice irons, too. Was on the site looking at the blacks and when I saw the PTx, it was instant dilemma LOL I am strongly considering ordering a set of the blacks though... between the V sole and the finish, I am thinking they are some irons with real potential for me. Even though I really do not need them.

Demo them. $20. Covers shipping two clubs to you and a prepaid tag to send them back. Two weeks to try them.

Demo them. $20. Covers shipping two clubs to you and a prepaid tag to send them back. Two weeks to try them.

I think I may do that.... does it take 2 weeks to get the demos or is that just for whole sets?

I think I may do that.... does it take 2 weeks to get the demos or is that just for whole sets?

Ordered my Edge demos online late Tuesday evening and had them in hand Thursday noon in the Austin area.

I guess they stopped making the Ft Worth Irons in Chrome- Brushed Stainless?

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I guess they stopped making the Ft Worth Irons in Chrome- Brushed Stainless?

Just noticed it too. Not on their page anymore. Perhaps they are going to get rid of the loft numbers and go with the standard 4-P sets like in the blacks and just haven’t made any yet.

It would be VERY weird to not have a chrome version available.

• 3 weeks later...

They are super solid and very forgiving. First round was in my weekly 9-hole league; overall played poorly but the bright spot were the irons. My miss is out on the toe and didn’t notice the kind of distance loss with these compared to other blades I have in the garage. If you are on the fence I say go forward and prosper with these beauties!!

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

They are super solid and very forgiving. First round was in my weekly 9-hole league; overall played poorly but the bright spot were the irons. My miss is out on the toe and didn’t notice the kind of distance loss with these compared to other blades I have in the garage. If you are on the fence I say go forward and prosper with these beauties!!

How do you like the sole? I’ve never played the v sole. Current irons have the beveled leading edge (vapor pro combos).

Got my demo set last weekend and finally got a chance to hit them a few times.

Looks: My initial impression of the irons is that they are a beautiful finish. I was a little skeptical because I love the classic Hogan chrome look but I love the new black. I currently own some Apex 99's, and Hogan Apex 06's. The head size is very similar to both of these. The topline on the Ft Worth black is maybe a hair thicker than the Apex 99 but still a very nice looking club from address.

Feel: The feel of these clubs is very good. Actually surprisingly good. the sound is very solid and off-center hits didn't have the normal "sting" you would get with other blades.

Performance: As far as blades go these are very easy to hit. Obviously not game improvement irons but off center hits do surprisingly well. The consensus is that the Apex 99's are some of the most forgiving blades that Hogan ever made and I would say they are at least if not more forgiving than them.I think the real winner is the sole of these. With some of the classic blades it is very easy to dig into the turf but the v-sole of these does wonders. Nice thin divots. The one con I found on these clubs is the ball flight was high, I mean very high. The shaft I tried was the KBS tour-v stiff. I wouldn't describe the ball flight as balooning but just really high. Because of this I would say they were maybe a half a club shorter. My driver ss is 114 and I play an xstiff there, but I like to play my irons a little softer. My gamers have project x 6.0 shafts and I think I would definitely need to try a different shaft in these. Perhaps the dynamic gold option would be a better fit.

Overall: The Hogan company has done a great job with these irons and I could easily game these. If I found the correct shaft for me I would buy these in a heartbeat.

These are the best irons I've ever played, and I've played just about everything. I've shot below my handicap every round (except the first one) since I put them into play. Give them a chance!

What makes them the best for you? Forgiveness, feel, distance, etc?

They are quite forgiving for a blade, and they are simply precise on every shot. Obviously, I am an amateur golfer so I don't hit every shot exactly the way that I would prefer, but I am consistently "hole high" with these irons and the Equalizer wedges help me get up and down quite often.

The feel is terrific and the distance is as expected for a relatively standard loft system.

Ben Hogan clubs feel awesome, just wish they looked better :stop:

Wow, the black irons are amongst the prettiest clubs I've ever seen.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

What shafts are you guys playing them with?

Got my demo set last weekend and finally got a chance to hit them a few times.

Looks: My initial impression of the irons is that they are a beautiful finish. I was a little skeptical because I love the classic Hogan chrome look but I love the new black. I currently own some Apex 99's, and Hogan Apex 06's. The head size is very similar to both of these. The topline on the Ft Worth black is maybe a hair thicker than the Apex 99 but still a very nice looking club from address.

Feel: The feel of these clubs is very good. Actually surprisingly good. the sound is very solid and off-center hits didn't have the normal "sting" you would get with other blades.

Performance: As far as blades go these are very easy to hit. Obviously not game improvement irons but off center hits do surprisingly well. The consensus is that the Apex 99's are some of the most forgiving blades that Hogan ever made and I would say they are at least if not more forgiving than them.I think the real winner is the sole of these. With some of the classic blades it is very easy to dig into the turf but the v-sole of these does wonders. Nice thin divots. The one con I found on these clubs is the ball flight was high, I mean very high. The shaft I tried was the KBS tour-v stiff. I wouldn't describe the ball flight as balooning but just really high. Because of this I would say they were maybe a half a club shorter. My driver ss is 114 and I play an xstiff there, but I like to play my irons a little softer. My gamers have project x 6.0 shafts and I think I would definitely need to try a different shaft in these. Perhaps the dynamic gold option would be a better fit.

Overall: The Hogan company has done a great job with these irons and I could easily game these. If I found the correct shaft for me I would buy these in a heartbeat.

You need to try the Tour V in 120 x. I have the 120x in my PTx soft stepped once and they are excellent. . Driver SS is 110. I hit the stiffs too high as well.

Really wish they had some other shaft options, though at this price point it's hard to really complain.

Any word if the black finish will find its way to the PTx?

Agreed, as much as I like the Tour-V, I'd really like to see an offering in the 125-132g range. The 120g Tour-V is just a touch on the lighter side for me.

I'm going to call and ask if they will put the Tour Spec V in (Tour Spec S+ is 125g, Tour Spec X is 130g). I play DG X7 in i200 and I want to get the PTX and Equalizers with a 130g shaft for my swing characteristics.

[b]Driver: [/b] PXG Gen5 0311 10.5*, 45” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Fairway: [/b] PXG Gen 5 0311 15*, 43” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Hybrids/Driving Irons: [/b]
[b]Irons: [/b] Titleist T-100S 3i-GW, +1/2” 1* Up, Modus 105T Stiff 
[b]Wedges: [/b] Titleist Vokey SM9 53* & 58* Modus 105T Stiff (both 36”)
[b]Putter: [/b] LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 33.5", 303 Stainless
[b]Grips: [/b] .58 Tour Velvet Cord +1 wrap, Pure Grip Putter (Std)

[b]Ball: [/b] 2021 Vice Pro Plus / Pro 

[b]Bag & Headcovers: [/b] Varies 🙂

Really wish they had some other shaft options, though at this price point it's hard to really complain.

Any word if the black finish will find its way to the PTx?

Agreed, as much as I like the Tour-V, I'd really like to see an offering in the 125-132g range. The 120g Tour-V is just a touch on the lighter side for me.

I'm going to call and ask if they will put the Tour Spec V in (Tour Spec S+ is 125g, Tour Spec X is 130g). I play DG X7 in i200 and I want to get the PTX and Equalizers with a 130g shaft for my swing characteristics.

Talked with Colin at Ben Hogan just now. At this time (for me the consumer I'm assuming), the only shafts they are contracted to assemble are the ones listed on their website (which includes the DG X100 for a 130g shaft). I may just order some demos in the Tour V X (120g) and see how it feels. If it doesn't seem to work, I can attempt to hard-step, or go back to X100.

[b]Driver: [/b] PXG Gen5 0311 10.5*, 45” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Fairway: [/b] PXG Gen 5 0311 15*, 43” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Hybrids/Driving Irons: [/b]
[b]Irons: [/b] Titleist T-100S 3i-GW, +1/2” 1* Up, Modus 105T Stiff 
[b]Wedges: [/b] Titleist Vokey SM9 53* & 58* Modus 105T Stiff (both 36”)
[b]Putter: [/b] LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 33.5", 303 Stainless
[b]Grips: [/b] .58 Tour Velvet Cord +1 wrap, Pure Grip Putter (Std)

[b]Ball: [/b] 2021 Vice Pro Plus / Pro 

[b]Bag & Headcovers: [/b] Varies 🙂

Just received my shipping notification; of course I shipped them to my office and they are due to arrive late Friday when I won't be there. Will report back when I can get a range session in. Currently gaming the MP-5 and curious if these can take them out of my bag. Seems like there are some questions on the Tour V X 120 and with mine being built with those, will have some performance feedback coming from PX LZ 6.0.

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just received my shipping notification; of course I shipped them to my office and they are due to arrive late Friday when I won't be there. Will report back when I can get a range session in. Currently gaming the MP-5 and curious if these can take them out of my bag. Seems like there are some questions on the Tour V X 120 and with mine being built with those, will have some performance feedback coming from PX LZ 6.0.
Any pics?!

Ping G400 LST 8.5° or G400 MAX 9.5°
TaylorMade 300 Mini 13° MiDr Proto 65
Mizuno 225 4-6 DG X100

Mizuno 221 7-PW DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 -50°

Titleist Vokey SM8 -54° 58°
Kingston Custom KP2 36"