Dear Titleist:

2over

Dear Titleist:

I've never really told you how I feel about you... uh, er, about your drivers. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve or emote all that much. I could, maybe, communicate better and no doubt, it would improve our relationship. But to put it simply: I love you, uh, er, your drivers (your irons, not so much, but that's another letter, for another time). I haven't always been faithful to you, I admit. I've had some flings where I've carried on, sometimes for years, behind your back, with flashier, sexier, longer models. But I keep crawling back, chastened, to my (if not first at least my longest/strongest) love. So I'll pour out my heart now, and confess why I'll open up my wallet again in the fall and get one of those TS3 thingies you are teasing me with...

I've played a lot of different drivers (been playing for nearly 50 years, started with persimmon--a Hogan, not one of yours. Did you make drivers in the '70s? I can't remember. That was a long time ago. We were both different then). Anyway, I got to scratch for a bit in my late 30's, thanks in part to your drivers and golf balls. Those were good times. Now, in my mid 50's, I'm still a low single digit HC who laments the roughly 10 mph loss of clubhead speed that was a not so happy over-50 birthday present from I don't know who? Father Time? I hate that guy). The original Big Bertha was my first falling away from you. It was a big advance from anything else you had on offer (DCI Starship?). But your 975D knocked that Cally right out of the bag and won me back. I dallied with a Tour Edge for a few years in the early 00s that I liked--it made me feel young again. But your 915D3 had me crawling back, saying "Sorry!", knocking a pretty sexy Tour Issue R1 out of the bag). Had a brief flirtation with the Callaway Epic Sub Zero two years ago (but my 24 year old son stole it away from me, which was awkward).

Anyway: why have I strayed but returned to your fold for the best part of the last 25 years, Titleist? I've always been able to find a a driver from one of your myriad competitors that's a little longer (up to 5-8 yards carry--still hit the R1 about 5 yards farther than your 915D3 on a solid hit). But I always come back to Titleist drivers because they always look clean and classic and great to my eye (like those Mizzy MP-33s that you really need to try harder to copy). So, yeah, like most guys, I'm shallow! Looks are really important to me. There. I said it. Looks inspire confidence, which usually leads to control. And I'm a bit of a control freak, I confess. The Titleist drivers I've played have always hit my expected trajectory window without any surprises--I feel like I know where the ball is going on the tee box which, to quote MasterCard: priceless. Titleist drivers have most reliably of any kept me in the fairway more often than your (sometimes sexier and longer) competitors. My scores are usually lower, too. Forgiveness is next--slight mishits with the 915D3 are so much less punishing in distance/line than the TM R1 and M3 for me). And I like the sound/feel--not too loud, not too mushy, and not as dead/clicky/harsh as the TMs I've tried hard to like. The Titleist sound/feel has for me always been a better match with my Mizzys. Baby bear. Just right. I have hit a friend's 917D3 and it is bit quieter, which I do like. But the grey? That was a miss. Black is your best color. If the TS3 is black and continues that slightly more muted sound, I will be very pleased. Plus, Titleist stock shaft offerings have been very good the last 2 models, and the price is fair for what you get.

So Titleist, I think you've got me with this TS3 thing. That looks like it could see me through to my sunset years. You've never put out the latest, greatest, tech-iest, longest, jail-break-iest, twist-face-iest, most eye catching drivers. But thank you that you've also never put out any two-tone painted, or white drivers, or any with green "speed lines" or visible carbon fiber crowns. Thank you, thank you, Titleist for never doing that to us! You never been the fastest driver around, ball speed-wise, but that's OK. As long as you're within a couple MPH of the others, I'll be true. So don't read all the other letters about how you need to up your game and quit being so steady, classic, restrained, and muted. As they say: "Don't go changing'/ to try and please me/ we never would have come this far.../ I love you just the way you are..."

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of like a Dear Penthouse letter, but without the good parts.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Wow. I feel exactly the same way. That’s one hell of a novel my friend. LOL!! ; )

Seriously OG Member # 1485 with 154 posts in 13 years just decides to let it rip. Nice.

I'M MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! at titleist because of a driver I saw on TV and a grainy photo on here.

I appreciate the OP's restraint for 13 years and that amount of posts is impressive.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

Dear Titleist:

I've never really told you how I feel about you... uh, er, about your drivers. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve or emote all that much. I could, maybe, communicate better and no doubt, it would improve our relationship. But to put it simply: I love you, uh, er, your drivers (your irons, not so much, but that's another letter, for another time). I haven't always been faithful to you, I admit. I've had some flings where I've carried on, sometimes for years, behind your back, with flashier, sexier, longer models. But I keep crawling back, chastened, to my (if not first at least my longest/strongest) love. So I'll pour out my heart now, and confess why I'll open up my wallet again in the fall and get one of those TS3 thingies you are teasing me with...

I've played a lot of different drivers (been playing for nearly 50 years, started with persimmon--a Hogan, not one of yours. Did you make drivers in the '70s? I can't remember. That was a long time ago. We were both different then). Anyway, I got to scratch for a bit in my late 30's, thanks in part to your drivers and golf balls. Those were good times. Now, in my mid 50's, I'm still a low single digit HC who laments the roughly 10 mph loss of clubhead speed that was a not so happy over-50 birthday present from I don't know who? Father Time? I hate that guy). The original Big Bertha was my first falling away from you. It was a big advance from anything else you had on offer (DCI Starship?). But your 975D knocked that Cally right out of the bag and won me back. I dallied with a Tour Edge for a few years in the early 00s that I liked--it made me feel young again. But your 915D3 had me crawling back, saying "Sorry!", knocking a pretty sexy Tour Issue R1 out of the bag). Had a brief flirtation with the Callaway Epic Sub Zero two years ago (but my 24 year old son stole it away from me, which was awkward).

Anyway: why have I strayed but returned to your fold for the best part of the last 25 years, Titleist? I've always been able to find a a driver from one of your myriad competitors that's a little longer (up to 5-8 yards carry--still hit the R1 about 5 yards farther than your 915D3 on a solid hit). But I always come back to Titleist drivers because they always look clean and classic and great to my eye (like those Mizzy MP-33s that you really need to try harder to copy). So, yeah, like most guys, I'm shallow! Looks are really important to me. There. I said it. Looks inspire confidence, which usually leads to control. And I'm a bit of a control freak, I confess. The Titleist drivers I've played have always hit my expected trajectory window without any surprises--I feel like I know where the ball is going on the tee box which, to quote MasterCard: priceless. Titleist drivers have most reliably of any kept me in the fairway more often than your (sometimes sexier and longer) competitors. My scores are usually lower, too. Forgiveness is next--slight mishits with the 915D3 are so much less punishing in distance/line than the TM R1 and M3 for me). And I like the sound/feel--not too loud, not too mushy, and not as dead/clicky/harsh as the TMs I've tried hard to like. The Titleist sound/feel has for me always been a better match with my Mizzys. Baby bear. Just right. I have hit a friend's 917D3 and it is bit quieter, which I do like. But the grey? That was a miss. Black is your best color. If the TS3 is black and continues that slightly more muted sound, I will be very pleased. Plus, Titleist stock shaft offerings have been very good the last 2 models, and the price is fair for what you get.

So Titleist, I think you've got me with this TS3 thing. That looks like it could see me through to my sunset years. You've never put out the latest, greatest, tech-iest, longest, jail-break-iest, twist-face-iest, most eye catching drivers. But thank you that you've also never put out any two-tone painted, or white drivers, or any with green "speed lines" or visible carbon fiber crowns. Thank you, thank you, Titleist for never doing that to us! You never been the fastest driver around, ball speed-wise, but that's OK. As long as you're within a couple MPH of the others, I'll be true. So don't read all the other letters about how you need to up your game and quit being so steady, classic, restrained, and muted. As they say: "Don't go changing'/ to try and please me/ we never would have come this far.../ I love you just the way you are..."

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

I still have a mint 975D with a Prolite if you get desperate !

TM will always have Titleist in innovation on Drivers

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

TM will always have Titleist in innovation on Drivers

But Titleist will always have TM on looks, sound, shape, class, and forgiveness.

Uh-oh! Yes I did! It’s a Throw down TM fan boys!!

Go ahead.....I know....tell me all about ball speed and spin. Blah, blah blah. I’m a TM hater and I’m plugging my ears and singing now!! ; )

is it strange that the moment i started to read this, i was hearing it in Morgan Freeman's voice?

Titleist TSR2 10 deg with Ventus TR Blue 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 deg 3 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Titleist TSR2  18 deg 5 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges ?? 

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

I’m slowly working my way up the generations. My first Titleist driver was the 910 D2, then a 910 D3, 913 D2, and now a 915 D2 (I was a TM guy originally). I’ll probably get a 917 head once the TS2/3 comes out. The OP is right, I might flirt with another OEM’s driver but Titleist always calls me back thanks to the classic shape, looks, sound, and the most important part for me since since I’m cheap... they haven’t changed the surefit driver til/hosel since they first came out which let’s me use my favorite shaft(s)

I have always loved Titleist drivers as well. However, I"m hitting the Rogue a lot farther than my 915.

With that said...I'm all in for a TS2 if it's as good as I hope it will be.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

Dear Stan, I meant to write you sooner but I just been busy

You said your girlfriend's pregnant now, how far along is she?

Look, I'm really flattered you would call your daughter that

And here's an autograph for your brother

I wrote it on the Starter cap

I'm sorry I didn't see you at the show, I must of missed you

Don't think I did that s*** intentionally just to diss you

But what's this s*** you said about you like to cut your wrists too?

I say that s*** just clownin' dog, come on, how f***** up is you?

You got some issues Stan, I think you need some counseling

To help your a** from bouncing off the walls when you get down some

And what's this s*** about us meant to be together?

That type of s*** will make me not want us to meet each other

I really think you and your girlfriend need each other

Or maybe you just need to treat her better

I hope you get to read this letter, I just hope it reaches you in time

Before you hurt yourself, I think that you'll be doin' just fine

If you relax a little, I'm glad I inspire you but Stan

Why are you so mad? Try to understand, that I do want you as a fan

I just don't want you to do some crazy s***

I seen this one s*** on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick

Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge

And had his girlfriend in the trunk, and she was pregnant with his kid

And in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to

Come to think about, his name was, it was you

Damn!

is it strange that the moment i started to read this, i was hearing it in Morgan Friedman's voice?

I think Tim Allen in the Pure Michigan commercials.

Oddly enough I was hearing Jack Lemmon

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

So? Did you send it to Titleist?

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I currently play a Cobra LTD that you'll probably have to pry out of my cold dead fingers, BUT I have played...

1. 976R

2. 975D

3. 975LFE

4. 983E

5. 905S

6. 905R

7. 909D3

8. 913D3

And I am VERY interested in the new TS models!

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram