Anyone else dread being announced as the low handicap?

Cpm881

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get this a lot these days, being a +3 at a pretty small club lends itself to these situations. 90% of the time people are fine and a lot of people say they enjoy playing with a low cap cause to them I'm "the tour pro" quality golfer (far from it in reality but they don't know that). Mind you, the other 10% seem to think i should shoot 65 every game somehow, and anything less is a disappointment. Matter of fact just last week, one of our members asked me to play in his group to try and impress a client of his. At the end of the day he said to me "you just didn't have your magic today, its a shame, those guys were keen to see some really good golf". When.i informed him that I'd just had a 67 (-5) and that i was really stoked with how I'd played, he just said yeah i guess and left. Lesson learned, don't expect anything in return for helping out....

Dude, screw that guy. What a loser to be butt hurt about that.

I learned years ago from my grandpa. If they ask your handicap on the first tee just say "I'm around a 10" very casually and leave it at that.

And if they want to bet always ask for strokes. You'd be surprise how many times the guy who thinks he is the best will give them to you.

He was actually around a 2-4 and to this day I'm amazed how often guys will give you strokes without actually checking handicaps.

I gotta say I kinda dig being one of the better golfers in the group. Case in point, last week I got paired with the CEO of my company and two other co-workers for a charity scramble. It's the first time I had ever played with the CEO in the 12 years I've been with my company. I was very pleased with how I played that day, and will say it definitely created some extra motivation for me to play well.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

The only time I dread being the low handicap is when I’m playing a match play against a high handicap. I lost my match the other weekend having to give 9 strokes. Guy was making some incredible par/bogey saves and there was nothing I could do about it.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I played college golf and currently am a 2 handicap, I cant remember the last time I wasnt giving out strokes to sandbaggers, sometimes I feel the handicap system punishes better players, I go out and shoot 72 and lose money

I played collegiate golf also...the only time I would bet big money was when up against other team members, or known low hcp players...gross score. I lost more money giving 18 strokes and losing by 6 to a 25-30 capper....and even if they weren't sandbaggers they could still be deadly on any given day.

I played college golf and currently am a 2 handicap, I cant remember the last time I wasnt giving out strokes to sandbaggers, sometimes I feel the handicap system punishes better players, I go out and shoot 72 and lose money

I played collegiate golf also...the only time I would bet big money was when up against other team members, or known low hcp players...gross score. I lost more money giving 18 strokes and losing by 6 to a 25-30 capper....and even if they weren't sandbaggers they could still be deadly on any given day.

Exactly. You have to play damn near perfect the entire round and hope they play terrible. IMO a match play does not favor the low handicap player. The mid range HC though is golden!

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Exactly. You have to play damn near perfect the entire round and hope they play terrible. IMO a match play does not favor the low handicap player. The mid range HC though is golden!

The handicap system is more geared for the mid cap, for some reason. I gotta play out my a** to break even around the club, which does help me show up with my game face on, but can be discouraging for many....

The only time I dread being the low handicap is when Im playing a match play against a high handicap. I lost my match the other weekend having to give 9 strokes. Guy was making some incredible par/bogey saves and there was nothing I could do about it.

Happened to me twice this weekend. Giving 11 playing off of 4 and got waxed 5 down Saturday and lost on 18 in a doubles event of Sunday. Tell myself every year that I can’t compete in handicap matchplay tournaments, but I play anyways to support the club and love of competition.

Tim

Oddly enough, its not easy being the high handicapper either. The last few years have seen the end of good practice time and a huge reduction in rounds played and in my League, I went from being one of the better players to one of the worst. Some of the guys that have been playing a few years don't take it well when they have to give me strokes. Then every year there are a few weeks where I play well and always feel bad about crushing somebody that was giving strokes. But I agree with you low cappers.....the HCP system is no friend of the lower players.

The only time I dread being the low handicap is when I'm playing a match play against a high handicap. I lost my match the other weekend having to give 9 strokes. Guy was making some incredible par/bogey saves and there was nothing I could do about it.

Yup! Know the feeling. Last year on our yearly boys' golf trip, I was in 1st place gross, 2nd place net going into our final round. The guy in 1st place net was getting 39 strokes for the course handicap. I was getting 10. I shot out of my mind, a 75 for a net 65. He shoots a 102 for a net 63. I lose by an overall 3 day total to him by 4 strokes.

And I remember early on in the match, after I'd get a par I'd ask him what he shot thinking "maybe I made up a little ground on him". He'd say "double bogey". But then you'd look and see he was getting two strokes on that hole, sometimes 3 so he'd get net par or even net birdie. I was shooting pars left and right and I was still losing ground to him. Mentally I gave up after 7 or 8 holes, and decided just to try and shoot a good round for my own satisfaction.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Has my boss the other day asked if I golfed, I said “yeah, a fair bit”. He asked if I was any good, the dreaded question.

I’ve found the best answer is just saying that I can keep pace and not slow the group down. That’s the most important thing about a good day on the course with someone. I don’t care if you shoot 90 or 68, if you don’t dilly dally or lose balls, you’re a good enough golfer to play with anyone

Losing a few golf balls makes your "not good enough" to play with some people?

The only time I dread being the low handicap is when I'm playing a match play against a high handicap. I lost my match the other weekend having to give 9 strokes. Guy was making some incredible par/bogey saves and there was nothing I could do about it.

Yup! Know the feeling. Last year on our yearly boys' golf trip, I was in 1st place gross, 2nd place net going into our final round. The guy in 1st place net was getting 39 strokes for the course handicap. I was getting 10. I shot out of my mind, a 75 for a net 65. He shoots a 102 for a net 63. I lose by an overall 3 day total to him by 4 strokes.

And I remember early on in the match, after I'd get a par I'd ask him what he shot thinking "maybe I made up a little ground on him". He'd say "double bogey". But then you'd look and see he was getting two strokes on that hole, sometimes 3 so he'd get net par or even net birdie. I was shooting pars left and right and I was still losing ground to him. Mentally I gave up after 7 or 8 holes, and decided just to try and shoot a good round for my own satisfaction.

That is absolutely disgusting. 39 strokes??? How the hell is that even possible to beat?

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

That is absolutely disgusting. 39 strokes??? How the hell is that even possible to beat?

I thought the maximum men’s cap was 36? High course rating?

I've become pretty mentally tough on the course, but I don't think I could ever entertain the idea of possibly giving someone three shots on a hole- as a 10 cap!

Has my boss the other day asked if I golfed, I said “yeah, a fair bit”. He asked if I was any good, the dreaded question.

I’ve found the best answer is just saying that I can keep pace and not slow the group down. That’s the most important thing about a good day on the course with someone. I don’t care if you shoot 90 or 68, if you don’t dilly dally or lose balls, you’re a good enough golfer to play with anyone

Losing a few golf balls makes your "not good enough" to play with some people?

I’m talking about those guys who reload on every tee box or don’t play forward enough to keep it in play. But technically, yes, losing balls and holding up play may leave a few golfers not wanting to join you.

Trust me, once upon a time I would lose 4-5 balls a round and beat it around the course. I wasn’t good enough to play with just anyone without feeling like I was taking away slightly from their round. I played with people more like myself, let groups through, and worked to get better.

It wasn’t meant as a jab as much as an observation. I’ve played with guys who shot 95 and since they weren’t losing balls, they were right on pace. Hence, they can play with anyone without causing a hold up. That’s what I was getting at

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

folks who know me love to play behind me. A buck a birdie and five dollars for eagles. At the end of my round I'm either broke or drunk. In any case I have announce my abilities

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Doesn't bother me....I have been 3 or less for years and I get used to it....but....funny experience a few years ago. I went out to play a local course as a single and get paired out with a group of 3 guys who are all around 10-15 'caps. goods guys and good fun.....on the 8th hole I am -1 and stripe a drive up the center of the fairway. One of these guys says to me.... "Man, you are hitting it good today....what's your handicap?" I reply that I am a 2.....he looks at me and says "Really? I thought you would be better than that" :taunt:

I asked him how many 2's he knew or ever played with...he just shrugged and walked off towards his ball....almost no conversation for the rest of the round. :stink:

And that’s why it’s often best not to even talk about it.

There are basically 3 types of people when it comes to this.

1. Those that love the idea of playing with a low cap. Enjoy the good play. Maybe learn something.

2. Those that couldn’t care less one way or the other. Who cares. It’s just a game.

3. Those that really get truly upset at playing with a stranger that’s far better than they are. Jealous, insecure, or both.

You obviously ran into number 3.

I personally enjoy scenario 1. It's a great opportunity to learn something from a complete golfer. Plus my game usually rises to another level when playing with better golfers, more focused. Win/win!

I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!

The handicap system is more geared for the mid cap, for some reason. I gotta play out my a** to break even around the club, which does help me show up with my game face on, but can be discouraging for many....

It's geared for stroke play, that's why it favors the mid-high caps more in a match play situation. The 10 can still make 7-8 pars in a round, and then a couple of triples to keep that cap up. Think about it, it you make bird, opponent makes triple, your 3 is 4 shots better than his 7, but all 7 of those shots is going towards his handicap, and you've only won 1 hole. You really need a match play formula which counts the number of birdies/pars/bogies a player makes, which is also why a lot time you won't see 100% of handicap being used in match play.

Play stroke play and the low cap has the major advantage (provided all handicaps are legit).

I'm not going to pretend I'm Mr Great Golfer, but often I'm the lowest, or one of the lowest in a group. Just this past week we had a group of 12, half of which I knew. Guy on the first tee, says "there he is, this guy is the shooter in the group". I shot 72, and did make 4 birds, but it was an easy course and the differential is only 1 under my cap, but a couple of guys thought it was the great round ever. I think I only hit 6 greens.

One of the guys in my group was sincerely happy anytime anybody hit a good shot. High fives all around!

Another group on Saturday a guy told me I was boring "you're boring, and your game is boring, aren't you bored on the course!!??!" as I only missed 2 fairways by a total of about a foot. lol

I thought the maximum men’s cap was 36? High course rating?

He was given a 36 index, and when applied to the 128 slope rating he got 39 strokes. Three out of the eight guys don't have official handicaps, and were assigned handicaps based on a few scorecards they handed in. So yeah, you can imagine the feelings of hopelessness going through my head.

I know the high cappers need the strokes, or it's pointless for them to even try. But the same goes for the lower cappers. This guy hardly plays any other golf throughout the year. At what point do you say "hey, how about you get out to practice, at least try to make yourself a better golfer before we just hand you a crap-ton of strokes"?

I've actually suggested flighting our trip, but with only 8 guys it probably doesn't make much sense.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)