2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Eye glasses for distance

60 yr old with need for "reading" glasses for up close. Any balls hit beyond say 200 yrds, I can follow flight until it passes apex and then I have to try to pick up ball landing/bouncing. Any one purchase glasses to help with seeing distance? And I don't mean sunglasses.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mind the ball being out of focus at address? That's what you'd have to put up with. Unless your distance RX is still okay at 4 feet.

I'm going to go the opposite way. I'm going to stop wearing my glasses and try to put up with what you're experiencing. I'll have to keep the ball in the fairway! :)

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Any glasses will alter your dept perception. It will take a while to get used to. I have problems seeing past 150 yards but I only wear Oakley Prism lenses and it does help a little. Best of luck.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

You'll probably have issues unless you actually get prescription lenses that correct an actual issue with your eyesight and that you wear all round long. I wear glasses all the time, and sometimes I have issues with depth perception for a minute after switching between my regular glasses and prescription sunglasses with very minor differences in the prescriptions, so I can't imagine what it would be like to constantly go back and forth between no lenses at all and non-prescribed lenses.

I wear progressive bifocal lenses, as I have been nearsighted for over 40 years, and about 10 years ago started needing reading glasses. I really thought I would have problems when I first started wearing them playing golf, but I hardly notice anymore. I did have a pair of prescription sunglasses made up several years ago for only distance vision but got tired of not being able to read the scorecard or my GPS. They were fine for playing shots, the ball is far enough away at address so it is in focus, it is just from about arm's length in I have problems.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I wear bifocal glasses all day. I have been playing golf without glasses for years, I just wear non-RX sunglasses. But don't ask me to read a scorecard! My distance correction on my RX glasses has been minor.

But, I have been noticing on cloudy days (I don't wear sunglasses) I am starting to have a hard time picking up a golf ball past 180 yards.

I'm going for a contact fitting on Monday. A friend told me he plays with bifocal contact lenses. I've never heard of them, I will be asking though.

See your ophthalmologist and see what they say. At 60 you should be getting checked for eye diseases, anyway.

I’ve been wearing distance glasses since I was 10 and use prescription sunglasses for golf. Seeing the ball is better than not seeing it.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

60 yr old with need for "reading" glasses for up close. Any balls hit beyond say 200 yrds, I can follow flight until it passes apex and then I have to try to pick up ball landing/bouncing. Any one purchase glasses to help with seeing distance? And I don't mean sunglasses.

I have the same problem, being 62 and needing some distance correction and reading correction. I have never been able to play with prescription glasses no matter which ones I have tried. They always seem to alter the lay of the land while addressing the ball. Sometimes the ground looks like it's sloping away from you when it actually is sloping towards you, and vice versa. I don't wear my prescription glasses when I golf, the ball is a bit fuzzy, but it works out the best that way.

I'm not an Optometrist, so pardon me if I say something stupid. I need reading glasses (age 54), but don't wear glasses for driving. But, like you, over 200 yards gets a bit fuzzy, nor can I read the writing on a ball.

I have a prescription for Progressive Lenses. So, they have a distance correction, and a different correction for reading.The prescription has SPH-CYL-Axis for each eye, and then a value of NV-ADD. That NV-ADD is the reading correction. I tried playing with progressive lenses - did not work at all.

For golfing, I ordered sunglasses with the same SPH-CYL-Axis values, but 0 for NV-ADD. Which makes them non-progressive, just simple prescription glasses with distance correction. It works perfect, I can focus on the ball, and can also see far distances better. But I still have to get out my reading glasses to read the scorecard. And a plug for Zenni Optical, where I got these prescription sunglasses for under $15.

Thanks for all the responses. I can read a scorecard and ball labels without my reading glasses as the font is big enough. Spark14's thought are interesting. It may not be worth it in the long run given the small amount of time I would want to wear them on the course anyway. I was curious if there was any technology I wasn't aware of. Keep ball on fairway and hit greens solves the problem, but as they say, easier said than done.

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel

If you can read a scorecard, it sounds like the reading addition is fairly minor - so normal prescription sunglasses might be just fine - see a good optometrist for advice.

There are some sport specific progressive lenses available (Rodenstock do them) - the addition is limited so not meant for long term reading, but just to help with both near and distance vision, work well for me ( note the usual progressive lenses with 'full' correction and near, middle and far correction all blended will almost certainly be very unpleasant for sports, golf)

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

You Might consider lasik surgery or contacts and carrying reading glasses full time.

I’m wearing glasses for distance for the last two years and I hate it. My green reading has suffered for some reason.

I would have lasik surgery in a heartbeat but I am told I will need reading glasses immediately because post 50 if you get corrected for distance your near vision suffers. It varies by the person and how much correction you need. I just haven’t embraced the idea of needing reading glasses full time. I’m close though. I hate glasses.

If I could wear contacts I would, but my eyes are too dry. They move around and go out of focus. Very annoying and they Give me a headache.

You Might consider lasik surgery or contacts and carrying reading glasses full time.

I’m wearing glasses for distance for the last two years and I hate it. My green reading has suffered for some reason.

I would have lasik surgery in a heartbeat but I am told I will need reading glasses immediately because post 50 if you get corrected for distance your near vision suffers. It varies by the person and how much correction you need. I just haven’t embraced the idea of needing reading glasses full time. I’m close though. I hate glasses.

If I could wear contacts I would, but my eyes are too dry. They move around and go out of focus. Very annoying and they Give me a headache.

I will say this about prescription distance glasses, I think the modern "thin and light" lenses tend to flatten things out. I have a pretty strong prescription and still, I used to be a pretty good green reader. But I noticed about 15 years ago when I got new glasses with the lightweight lenses I started having problems, I don't know if this is really true, but it sure seemed like it to me. When I had the older thicker lenses, I never had this problem.

And I also have tried contacts, but with no luck. I have sort of dry eyes and fairly bad astigmatism, and contacts 1) just bother me a bit too much, and 2) I never had a doctor that seemed to get my astigmatism right with contacts. And also at my age, I figure it is just not worth the risk of lasik, I've been wearing glasses for over 40 years, I'm kind of used to them now....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I will say this about prescription distance glasses, I think the modern "thin and light" lenses tend to flatten things out. I have a pretty strong prescription and still, I used to be a pretty good green reader. But I noticed about 15 years ago when I got new glasses with the lightweight lenses I started having problems, I don't know if this is really true, but it sure seemed like it to me. When I had the older thicker lenses, I never had this problem.

And I also have tried contacts, but with no luck. I have sort of dry eyes and fairly bad astigmatism, and contacts 1) just bother me a bit too much, and 2) I never had a doctor that seemed to get my astigmatism right with contacts. And also at my age, I figure it is just not worth the risk of lasik, I've been wearing glasses for over 40 years, I'm kind of used to them now....

Interesting. Same issue with the contacts. The astigmatism part never seems right. I have to go to a slightly stronger lens in the left eye to counter the astigmatism not being quite dialed in and it messes me up. That and the dryness issue.

I have the exact same issue as you. I had been wearing lenses for distance correction only for golf. Both standard and prescription sunglasses. The sunglasses were great until twilight hit.

This year I changed to progressive bi-focal glasses only and it took just a little while to finally adjust but it's been working out real well.

Next pair I'll add the transition lense feature. I like the sunglass effect

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Thanks for all the additional comments

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel

There's another option - 'LBV' which is a Zeiss term - laser blended vision. Still Lasik but the software manages the correction so that one eye is made to be better for medium and long distance and the other optimised for short to medium. A previous and still used simpler method is to purposely Lasik one eye to be short sighted, say approx -0.5, and the other 20/20 - this is termed monovision... your brain gets used to it and can adjust for long or short distance somewhat (but reading glasses would be best for serious reading), but still saves neeeding reading glasses for reading menus and scorecards and so on.

Interesting. Same issue with the contacts. The astigmatism part never seems right. I have to go to a slightly stronger lens in the left eye to counter the astigmatism not being quite dialed in and it messes me up. That and the dryness issue.

Astigmatism is a pain... and normal soft contacts won't correct it all - you'll need special toric ones to help reduce the issue - the less comfortable gas permeable lenses do correct astigmatism due to their hard nature... but I could never get used to them back when i tried them.

Another newer option is 'Relex Smile' - still uses laser correction but does not cut or laser a full flap, just a small keyhole so even quicker recovery and less risk of dry eye problems... but the correction can not be as personalised as a wavefront Lasik jobbie ( and the laser blended for presbyopia is not an option... or correction for long sight).

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

I'm near sighted. Without contacts I can read super small print, up to about a foot away. Computer monitor, about 2' away.

My eye dr prescribed me two different contact strengths. One for working on a computer, which fixes distance sight to a point. Stuff is blurry, but I can read road signs, and the prescription is weak enough where I don't have a problem reading the computer screen with them.

However, I have "golf" contacts which are a stronger prescription. My "non golf" script is -3.25, while the golf is -3.75. Using the "golf" script when on the computer or phone is REALLY tough. I have to sit way back to see the computer or hold my phone at arm's length.

However, the ball is far enough away where it's perfectly in focus. BTW, with the "golf" contacts I can read the greens WAY better, and see every ball land.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear progressives, but have never tried them for golf. I had my distance prescription put in an old pair of Ray Bans and that has worked well. They’re polarized so sometimes I take them off if I’m having trouble reading a putt. I keep a pair of readers in my bag in case I need to look at my phone or read something.

52 yrs old here and just started wearing a very mild prescription (-0.75 sphere) set of glasses for golf. I was starting to lose the ball at about 225yds, especially if the lighting wasn't perfect. Since getting the glasses, I have no problem seeing my drives out to their full, WRX-required, 336yd carry :tongue: . Just kidding, even with my fairly pedestrian driving distance, with the specs on, I can now see the ball land and roll out. I have both a pair of sunglasses as well as non-tinted pair for use on cloudy days.

The glasses have been the best equipment I've added to my gear bag in the past year. It was no fun having to ask my playing partners to help track the ball for me.

... risk of lasik ...

Spot on coming from someone who had both eyes botched by a renown ophthalmologist. Been miserable for 15 years. Looking forward to cataract surgery in a couple of months which will correct the problem.

57 here. Everyday glasses are progressive bi focal. Mainly for reading with tuning for age related distance vision. When I got them first 6 years ago I kept thinning shots as depth perception was affected. Nowadays I don't wear them playing golf at all because I discovered that my putting had suffered. My glasses bend/curve straight lines when I glance sideways through them. Like when you're over the ball putting and glance at the hole - what I see is curved. So now I wear over the counter +1.25 reading glasses for golf and my putting is back to normal - can't read the scorecard for shizzle but I play with a younger set who can still see.

If you're a bifocal user get a straight edge into your field of vision and move it around, especially to the sides, and see the curve develop. Can't be good for putting.

I'm near sighted. Without contacts I can read super small print, up to about a foot away. Computer monitor, about 2' away.

My eye dr prescribed me two different contact strengths. One for working on a computer, which fixes distance sight to a point. Stuff is blurry, but I can read road signs, and the prescription is weak enough where I don't have a problem reading the computer screen with them.

However, I have "golf" contacts which are a stronger prescription. My "non golf" script is -3.25, while the golf is -3.75. Using the "golf" script when on the computer or phone is REALLY tough. I have to sit way back to see the computer or hold my phone at arm's length.

However, the ball is far enough away where it's perfectly in focus. BTW, with the "golf" contacts I can read the greens WAY better, and see every ball land.

Yes and yes.

57 here. Everyday glasses are progressive bi focal. Mainly for reading with tuning for age related distance vision. When I got them first 6 years ago I kept thinning shots as depth perception was affected. Nowadays I don't wear them playing golf at all because I discovered that my putting had suffered. My glasses bend/curve straight lines when I glance sideways through them. Like when you're over the ball putting and glance at the hole - what I see is curved. So now I wear over the counter +1.25 reading glasses for golf and my putting is back to normal - can't read the scorecard for shizzle but I play with a younger set who can still see.

If you're a bifocal user get a straight edge into your field of vision and move it around, especially to the sides, and see the curve develop. Can't be good for putting.

Are you saying that you use a weak pair of reading glasses for general correction, like for distance and hitting all your shots?

Possible short term solution, the optic yellow balls are easier to track, especially on cloudy days.

It may be another issue, if you haven't had your eyes checked - cataracts will start to dull and dim the vision a bit which would make tracking balls harder. If it's just a prescription change, then it's trial and error to see what you can tolerate. I wear single vision contact lens for distance and that doesn't cause any distortion. Prescription eyeglasses are useless for me.

First of all, seeing a ball beyond 200 yards is not an easy task for anyone. My vision is nearly 20/10 and I can`t see the ball at all times. A lot depends on light conditions and weather (clouds).

The best tip I can give you is, look for an Optometrist and get your eyes checked. At a distance of 200 yards and beyond even small values can make a lot of difference. Btw, could be beneficial for driving (a car) as well.

Not a fan of lasik surgery.

Assuming you play a lot of golf you`ll get a fair share of UV radiation which favors cataract. Even a slight clouding of the lens (of your eye) can cause contrast graduation which translates to lesser acuity. Again it would be advisable to get your eyes checked to get a clear picture.