Reviews of motocaddy and powakaddy

Just a quick review for those on the fence. I honestly think electric push cart should be embraced more in the U.S for quicker and faster rounds.

This is a review of the Motocaddy M1 and Powakaddy C2

Both in my opinion does the job very well. I want to also make a note I had a bat caddy with a remote which I will not recommend due to how cheap it felt and an unresponsive remote which lead to it being dunk in the lake in my home club.

You can't go wrong with either of the two models. Both are fairly easy to use and very responsive with the buttons. Both comes with a very light lithium battery. I've played 2 18 holes on one charge when needed to. The powakaddy comes with the 230w motor where as the Motocaddy comes with the 200w motor. Both are fine for walking and you don't need the extra power from powakaddy.

What I've done at my club is run/golfing. I can finish a round in under 1.5 hours by running and golfing at the same time. Both can keep up and I usually max the pace out at 7 on the scale of 0-10. For reference I usually run an 8-9 minute mile. So if you push it to the max setting at 10, it will go fast.

Both are very compact and fit easily in your cars. I posted pictures of both being in my full size sedan instead of my SUV. For reference I have a toyota avalon hybrid where the battery is behind the rear seats so I can't fold it down. With both units in, I can carry 2 golf bags.

The Powakaddy was a lot faster to fold and put up than the motocaddy but that shouldn't be a selling point over which one is better. After awhile when you get used to it, they're both fast. I normally play the powakaddy whereas my guests uses the motocaddy.

I've also played it in the rain in Florida and had no issues with the electronics. I had the umbrella up so it's not completely drenched but both do get some good rain on.

Charging is very easy and takes 3-4 hours usually for a full charge. Here's some pictures how it's set up and how convenient it is in everyone's life.

I want to make note, use a cart bag. The stand bag will slip around or tilt the cart on one side. I also don’t think you need all the gadgets with gps and tracking. Less clutter and go with the most basic.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of getting one of these, so this is a well-timed review. Thanks!

Honestly get the cheapest motocaddy or powakaddy version you can find. If you value space then it comes at a premium. Both entry model will be fine. Don’t need all that gadgets and crap. You won’t be using it after the 3rd round. Walking should be simple.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I'm thinking of getting one of these, so this is a well-timed review. Thanks!

Honestly get the cheapest motocaddy or powakaddy version you can find. If you value space then it comes at a premium. Both entry model will be fine. Don't need all that gadgets and crap. You won't be using it after the 3rd round. Walking should be simple.

I totally agree; I'm not interested in gadgets. But, trunk space is an issue for me as is battery life and recharge time. Is there anything that should dissuade me from the Motocaddy M1 Pro Lithium model?

http://www.motogolf.com/products/Motocaddy-M1-Pro-Lithium-Electric-Golf-Caddy.html

The m1 is perfect if that’s what you care about. In the uk they are all over the used boards. And you can get one so cheap used too.

Recharge time is 4-5 hours if that. I’ve gotten 36 holes from one charge for them before though there are those who say it plays about 32/33 holes. But even so you can push it the remaining holes.

Lithium is the way to go. Look into the mgi x1 models. It’s an Australian company and gaining traction. I saw it at the pga show. I’d probably narrow it down to those 3 companies.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

When I use my S1 Lithium for "only" 18 holes, it recharges in just over an hour. I'd say 70 minutes or so typical.

I've only done 36 once and that was on a very flat course. It held up fine, though. I've done 27 lots of times and the battery LED is still indicating full strength.

I'm fine with my S1 but the more compact shape of the folded-up M1 does look attractive. Mechanical and electrical bits are probably almost identical to the S1 so it should be equally bulletproof and reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread and also doing lots of research as I'm hoping to make a purchase soon.

I don't want a remote or the extra gadgets. The only requirement I really have is one with braking. My home courses are very hilly, so I'd like the control while walking down hill.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the Motocaddy, Powakaddy or MGI. MGI does seem a little higher priced than the others for the model I'd like.

In the US, there only seems to be two on-line retailers and no difference in prices.

Any recommendations for retailers?

I've been following this thread and also doing lots of research as I'm hoping to make a purchase soon.

I don't want a remote or the extra gadgets. The only requirement I really have is one with braking. My home courses are very hilly, so I'd like the control while walking down hill.

As of now, I'm leaning towards the Motocaddy, Powakaddy or MGI. MGI does seem a little higher priced than the others for the model I'd like.

In the US, there only seems to be two on-line retailers and no difference in prices.

Any recommendations for retailers?

I pretty much ended up in the same place. My target product is the Motocaddy M1. I don't know best vendors. I've just been going here:

http://www.motogolf.com/products/Motocaddy-M1-Pro-Lithium-Electric-Golf-Caddy.html

I have the Motocaddy M3 Pro and have nothing but good things to say about it.

I did buy a MC cart bag and it fits much, much better on there than either of my 3 stand bags. Stand bags already dont fit *great* on push carts - I used a Clicgear for the previous 4 seasons - but I think the dimensions on the MC are just a hair taller and none of my stand bags fit that great. So dont use one.

For me I had no interest in a remote or follow option. One was the increased price but two, it only takes one review of how the remote gave out or lost touch to disuade me from using it. I'm sure for most people they work fine 99% of the time. It just was not a feature I was interested in.

The only thing I did not like was the idea of rebuying accessories all over again. Thankfully it was easy enough to take all my old Clicgear accessory tabs and bolt them to the MC frame. It took a little trial and error but it is super easy now. I can have two Clicgear accessories on there and the MC umbrella holder all at the same time. I love the pop up cell phone holder and charging port. I usually *dont* need to charge my phone but its nice to know its there in an emergency.

Sizewise it folds up just about the same as my Clicgear. Its a little "longer" when folded up but also a little narrower. Somewhere in this forum I posted a pic.

It does not have downhill braking or a parking brake/foot brake. That takes some getting used to. But its heavy enough it doesnt seem to just roll away like a Clicgear would if you didn't set the brake.

Speaking of the umbrella, if there is one thing I dont like on the Motocaddy its that the umbrella holder is installed - permanentlly - much lower down than on the Clicgears. On the CG it is up on top of the handle and then its set up from there so its very tall, there is no ducking underneath it like I find myself doing on the MC, where it is installed on the downbar itself - whatever you want to call that piece. Also, I had to shave down one of my umbrella handles to have it fit into the MC holder. This was not a huge deal as I have plenty of umbrellas. But the diameter of the MC umbrella holder was much smaller than the Clicgear holder. This is a very, very minor nit but figure it was worth mentioning.

A second very minor nit is I wish the MC had a net like the Clics do. Its super easy to put a speaker or all your junk in and I do miss it. I have a Clicgear pouch/bag attached to the side so thats what I use. But I do miss it.

I ordered through motogolf as well. They were fine to deal with, usually had good response times. I paid extra for the lithium battery. I had/have one minor issue with the battery (watch battery) that drives some of the display options, it either was dead or didnt work. This really only means that the clock wont save the time but everything else works fine. Motogolf sent me a new battery but honestly, I'm so lazy I just never replaced it. Everything else works just fine.

Overall I am very happy and really glad that I made the purchase. As its gotten warmer out its been fantastic to have. It is built like a tank and very sturdy.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Well I just ordered the Motocaddy S3 Pro which come with DHC. The compact fold up on the M series wasn't a requirement and comes as an added cost

I really wanted to get one without extra gadgets/electronics, but the S1 with DHC is not a stock item here in the US. A special order would have upped the cost. The S3 and the S1 have the same frame, motor, battery, etc, except for the added electronics on the S3. So I ended up with the S3 for about the same price as the S1 DHC.

As far as retailers, Golf Sellers Direct is the agent in the US for Motocaddy and Powakaddy. The prices at all the other online retailers are the same. The only difference was that they are supposedly including 3 accessories, instead of 2 like the others. We'll see.

If the hill is moderate and you're rolling on grass (rather than a paved cart path) the trolley won't really speed up that much. On pavement or going down a steep grass hill, you hold onto the handle just like you would with a SpeedCart or Clicgear going down the same grade. The electric trolley is slightly heavier but there's more drag as well so it feels about like guiding my old SpeedCart down the hill.

I'm glad you commented on DHC. If you don't have that, how do you go down hills?

Like I did for 5 years with a Clicgear? I dont mean to be funny about it but you use it like you would any other pull cart. I sometimes dial down the speed a bit but if it gets rolling you just hold onto it. Its absolutely no big deal - its not like the thing weighs 100 pounds and starts running out of control. We have a really steep hill at my club and I've had no issues at all.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

If the hill is moderate and you're rolling on grass (rather than a paved cart path) the trolley won't really speed up that much. On pavement or going down a steep grass hill, you hold onto the handle just like you would with a SpeedCart or Clicgear going down the same grade. The electric trolley is slightly heavier but there's more drag as well so it feels about like guiding my old SpeedCart down the hill.

So, you're not dragged down the hill by the motor?

So, you're not dragged down the hill by the motor?

I tap the button and turn the motor off when going down a steep hill. Tap it again just as I near the bottom of the hill and it will resume powered operation on the flat. It's just second nature as I crest the hill to tap the button and grab the handle and guide it down.

Like the other fellow said, I did that with a SpeedCart for 15 years before getting a trolley so it's basically like reverted to SpeedCart mode for a minute or so.

P.S. Keep in mind I'm tapping that on/off switch dozens of times a round anyway. So it doesn't take any conscious action to tap it as I start down the hill.

I'm glad you commented on DHC. If you don't have that, how do you go down hills?

From what I understand, with DHC the cart will maintain the same speed when going down a hill, even when you let go of the handle. You don't have to hold it back. Without it, if you let go gravity will cause the cart to speed up, just like a regular cart.

At least that what I saw on all the videos and have read from other reviewers. I'll post a review when I get it.

Someone buy the mgi and do a review. Pleasee

Yes, Please! Im' also looking at the MGI (Zip Navigator). largely because it seems to be the smallest package once you fold it up and reverse the wheels (very clever). This is important to me because I can barely fit my clubs and Clicart in the trunk of my BMW 2-series. However, there aren't too many reviews on the MGI, and they seem to only have 1 service facility in the US. I'm also a little concerned about the proprietary lithium battery when it's time to replace (although that's also true of most other power carts).

Anyone have any recommendations for a alternative that would fold up almost as narrow at the Clicart?

Someone buy the mgi and do a review. Pleasee

Yes, Please! Im' also looking at the MGI (Zip Navigator). largely because it seems to be the smallest package once you fold it up and reverse the wheels (very clever). This is important to me because I can barely fit my clubs and Clicart in the trunk of my BMW 2-series. However, there aren't too many reviews on the MGI, and they seem to only have 1 service facility in the US. I'm also a little concerned about the proprietary lithium battery when it's time to replace (although that's also true of most other power carts).

Anyone have any recommendations for a alternative that would fold up almost as narrow at the Clicart?

I've got a 2-series as well. Don't you think a Motocaddy M1 would fit?

Actually, looking at the photos Jerebear posted (above), it looks like you'd have to fold down the back the seat in order to get both a caddy and a bag into the car. Of course, once you did that, you wouldn't need compact model anymore. You could just orient both the bag and caddy lengthwise.

wouldn't a remote cart be the ideal cart. I keep going back and for on this, is it necessary. how does this cart rate to the QOD cart? I've heard good things about it

I have the Motocaddy S3 Pro and I love it. One thing I'll say about the remote. This thing is great on flat fairways but going uphills or across sidehills you really do need to be walking behind it supporting it. It's not that stable and can easily tip over on hills. So the remote, whilst it sounds good in theory, would be limited in it's application IMO. I do love the preset distance where you can send it ahead though. When I arrive at the green i just grab my putter and send it to the point where I will exit the green or towards the next tee box.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

my driveway is on an angle so what you see is an illusion. both push cart fits snuggly into the inside compartment. Then i have one cart bag towards the back and the 2nd cart bag on top of it.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

my driveway is on an angle so what you see is an illusion. both push cart fits snuggly into the inside compartment. Then i have one cart bag towards the back and the 2nd cart bag on top of it.

Must be a huge trunk!

[quoteI've got a 2-series as well. Don't you think a Motocaddy M1 would fit?

Actually, looking at the photos Jerebear posted (above), it looks like you'd have to fold down the back the seat in order to get both a caddy and a bag into the car. Of course, once you did that, you wouldn't need compact model anymore. You could just orient both the bag and caddy lengthwise. ]

Exactly. The 2-series trunk is only about 30" deep and not too tall near the front. I have to take my driver out of the bag to comfortably get my ClicGear bag in across the back. While the Motocaddy M1 is listed at 18.5"X16.1"X25" and would work, the remote control S7 is listed at 40X24X13 and that might be too big (would really have to try it and see). The MGI Zip Navigator (w/remote) is listed at 27.1X24X15.7" but gets even smaller (27X17,7X15.7") with the wheels turned around. That looks like a package that would easily accommodate the cart and the bag.

The MGI Zip Navigator (w/remote) is listed at 27.1X24X15.7" but gets even smaller (27X17,7X15.7") with the wheels turned around. That looks like a package that would easily accommodate the cart and the bag.

I just saw an ad for QOD, who says that their electric caddy folds to 13.5 x 17.5 x 14.5". They claim it's the smallest size in the industry.

https://qodgolfusa.com

The MGI Zip Navigator (w/remote) is listed at 27.1X24X15.7" but gets even smaller (27X17,7X15.7") with the wheels turned around. That looks like a package that would easily accommodate the cart and the bag.

I just saw an ad for QOD, who says that their electric caddy folds to 13.5 x 17.5 x 14.5". They claim it's the smallest size in the industry.

https://qodgolfusa.com

Just order a QOD. I’ll try it and report back.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S