Mizuno ST 180 Driver

Lobber

do you like the blue?

Blue is my favorite color, so yes, I actually love the blue.

Just need to get my earplugs out of my gun case I guess.

I almost bought this driver but the blue was almost overpowering to the eye. I love the mizuno brand and color scheme but for some reason the brightness of the crown took away from my focus. I'm sure id get used to it, but was curious how you liked it. Thanks

From a purely cosmetic basis, I think the color and the classic pear shape deep face design of my Titleist 917 d3 is more pleasing to my eye, but I don’t find the blue distracting at all. The new TS3 is definitely going to be purchased this fall unless the reviews are terrible, but I thought I’d test the ST180 for fun since the reviews have been quite good. I hit my 917 great and I love it so I doubt the MIzzy will challenge it, but you never know. I was bored and found a good deal on it so I couldn’t help myself. Total WRX move.

I can’t stand Pings whacked out titulators and drangonfly garbage, TM’s two tone paint, Callaways trianglular shape, f8’s new messy crown, So you definitely could call me picky. I won’t even try any of those based on looks alone. I literally hate them. Matte blue and a pleasing overall shape is no problem for me at all.

I’ll post how it goes with the new shaft in it later this week.

Me swinging a 45 inch 80x shaft vs my normal 43.5” 70 TX shaft really didnt tell me too much except that the potential was very good. I always forget how much I hate 45 or 45.5 inch shafts until I hit them again. Yuck.

That's hilarious..lol....you sound like me with the looks thing....I play a 910D3 and haven't found anything that looks or feels as good.....but the 180 was the only shape/design that really gave me pause to think about replacing the 910.

if you get a TS and want to offload the Mizzy.....remember me......:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you like the blue?

I almost bought this driver but the blue was almost overpowering to the eye. I love the mizuno brand and color scheme but for some reason the brightness of the crown took away from my focus. I'm sure id get used to it, but was curious how you liked it. Thanks

From a purely cosmetic basis, I think the color and the classic pear shape deep face design of my Titleist 917 d3 is more pleasing to my eye, but I don’t find the blue distracting at all. The new TS3 is definitely going to be purchased this fall unless the reviews are terrible, but I thought I’d test the ST180 for fun since the reviews have been quite good. I hit my 917 great and I love it so I doubt the MIzzy will challenge it, but you never know. I was bored and found a good deal on it so I couldn’t help myself. Total WRX move.

I can’t stand Pings whacked out titulators and drangonfly garbage, TM’s two tone paint, Callaways trianglular shape, f8’s new messy crown, So you definitely could call me picky. I won’t even try any of those based on looks alone. I literally hate them. Matte blue and a pleasing overall shape is no problem for me at all.

Me swinging a 45 inch 80x shaft vs my normal 43.5” 70 TX shaft really didnt tell me too much except that the potential was very good. I always forget how much I hate 45 or 45.5 inch shafts until I hit them again. Yuck.

That's hilarious..lol....you sound like me with the looks thing....I play a 910D3 and haven't found anything that looks or feels as good.....but the 180 was the only shape/design that really gave me pause to think about replacing the 910.

if you get a TS and want to offload the Mizzy.....remember me......:)

Sure thing. I’ll put a sticky note on my screen with your name. Only issue. I do plan on adding some hot melt to it if I like it after testing it with lead tape for a couple weeks.

If I add 10 grams of hot melt it will play about D-3 at 44”. I always make up my heads to be played at 44” and D-2 to D-4. I actually play mine at 43.5” and D-2 but I add the remainder of the 4 grams of weight with lead tape for resale issues since not many people want to go lower than 44”. Of course for those who do want to play it shorter a head that’s already hot melted is an instant sale.

Is this a deal killer or would you be interested in it playing 44”?? It should also get the sound down quite a bit.

Give it a few months and the blue will be going away. The next line will be the dark color like the current CLK hybrids. Otherwise, the blue on the course is not even a thought for many, especially since the head is so good.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

do you like the blue?

I’m sorry but you sound like a snob

do you like the blue?

I’m sorry but you sound like a snob

Really? Because I know exactly what I like and what I dislike and I enjoy trying new equipment that I really don’t need?

Welcome to WRX Newbie. Better get used to it if you stick around because there are a few hundred thousand members just like me in this forum...LOL!!

Sure thing. I’ll put a sticky note on my screen with your name. Only issue. I do plan on adding some hot melt to it if I like it after testing it with lead tape for a couple weeks.

If I add 10 grams of hot melt it will play about D-3 at 44”. I always make up my heads to be played at 44” and D-2 to D-4. I actually play mine at 43.5” and D-2 but I add the remainder of the 4 grams of weight with lead tape for resale issues since not many people want to go lower than 44”. Of course for those who do want to play it shorter a head that’s already hot melted is an instant sale.

Is this a deal killer or would you be interested in it playing 44”?? It should also get the sound down quite a bit.

id have to think about that. I like the shorter shaft, but I normally do not add anything to my weights. Keep me posted though

id have to think about that. I like the shorter shaft, but I normally do not add anything to my weights. Keep me posted though

Really? Wow. Interesting.

I’d never consider playing my most important club at a significantly lighter swingweight than every other club in my bag.

I’d think that would be really odd having just one club with a super light feeling head. Would surely mess with my tempo. Each to his own I guess.

Really? Wow. Interesting.

I’d never consider playing my most important club at a significantly lighter swingweight than every other club in my bag.

I’d think that would be really odd having just one club with a super light feeling head. Would surely mess with my tempo. Each to his own I guess.

sounds strange but after a few swings you adapt to whats in your hands. Maybe I'm just not that good to notice! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I had a chance to hit a few balls with this today, I really liked it. Also tested a M4 and didn’t notice the Mizuno being any louder than the TM, maybe the shop I hit at has really good acoustics.

I’m still going to wait until the Titleist TS series comes out before I buy anything, but this is my favorite of the ones I’ve tried lately.

Cobra F8, Srixon z765, TM M4, 917d2, and I just sold an Epic.

Just got mine back from my builder and out today (no numbers just junk range balls). It is a flat bomb monster. I’m playing it at 9.5 with the Tensei PO TX tipped 0.5” and 45.5 length, SW right around D4 (May need to add a little tape and get it to D6 where I usually player driver). But this combo today was just point and shoot.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone here use the HL head paired with a low launch/spin shaft? Plan on trying the 180HL head with my Speeder 661x from the jpx 900 gamer.

I did this and the loft is your friend on the HL version of the HL. I had a 757S, 661S, and a Mitsu Tensei Blue 60S in this head and had good to great results. I really liked the Tensei Blue with this head. From memory for my 108-109 mph driver SS, I was getting just under 1900 with the 757, 2200-2400 with the 661, and 2200-2400 spin with he Tensei Blue. The 661 was my gamer for most of the end of last season with this head and my last year gamer in the JPX900 head. On the LM I remember noticing that same for same the HL was giving me the same spin numbers set to 10.5 as the JPX900 at 9.5 using the same shafts in comparison. I think you will be fine and if anything can always loft down to 10.5, and higher if needed for the traj/spin your looking for.

The only reason I de-bagged the 180 HL was I didn't particularly ever get comfortable with the way the head looks behind the ball at address. Its longer in top view profile than the 900...fod for thought if your like me and like the big but less longer type drivers at set up. Good luck and let us know how you go.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I'm hitting my blue f7+ better than ever after sticking in a new V2 and cranking it down to 8.5 with the weight forward. So of course that has me looking for more. The st180's can be had for cheap now and Im a sucker for blue and mizuno. Anything between these or a lateral move?

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I'm hitting my blue f7+ better than ever after sticking in a new V2 and cranking it down to 8.5 with the weight forward. So of course that has me looking for more. The st180's can be had for cheap now and Im a sucker for blue and mizuno. Anything between these or a lateral move?

I'd say lateral move on that one. The ST180 might be a hair better, but the F7+s moveable weights can help you fine tune. The F7+ sounds a bit better too. I don't think anything out right now is significantly better than the F7s. If they didn't have the paint issues, I'd still be playing the F7.

I'd say lateral move on that one. The ST180 might be a hair better, but the F7+s moveable weights can help you fine tune. The F7+ sounds a bit better too. I don't think anything out right now is significantly better than the F7s. If they didn't have the paint issues, I'd still be playing the F7.

Thanks for the feedback.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

• 3 weeks later...

Took the st180 to the range for the first time yesterday. Even hitting range rocks it sounded better than I expected so I appreciate everyone talking it down! Not sure I am getting any more distance until I get out on the course but I do love the feel. Very dense. Also a forgiving head.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Think like Ping. Max MOI with weight in the back

Except the weight in the back of the ST180 is essentially nothing - just 2g. Almost just a decoration whereas it's substantial in the G400. That is easily remedied in the Mizuno head since you can use TaylorMade weights back there---->Custom Adjustment

That being said, the ST180 head does have an incredible feel. I liked it when I tried it for a few rounds, but just had awful dispersion with the Tensei Blue which led me to the G400LS with the Tour shaft. The switch was easy, but if I had more time to experiment with shafts, it would have been nice to find a better one for the Mizuno.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

What does the stock head weigh without the adapter? I have a new, in plastic, ST180 head in my office at work, but I can't get my hands on it till I return next Friday. I was able to also get my hands on an OG Diamana Kai'Li 70 X - Ion new uncut and pristine!! Never been this excited about a driver. Curious how it will compare to my F7 Copperhead combo I'm using now.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

how is the head forgiving? in what way?

I was getting solid distance away from center of the face and nothing drifted far off line except when my swing was to blame. Caught a couple thin and it might be one of the most forgiving low on the face I've hit. My miss tends to be vertical. I reserve final comments until I get a few rounds in with a shaft I like.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3