2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Transition to Graphite Shafts? Advice needed...

For most the golfers, they transition into graphite shaft from the long end first. 2,3,4 irons then maybe 5, 6 7 later. A big portion of them will never go back to the steel shaft no matter what, because of aging, lost of distance and injury..........

I can relate. Problem is, I absolutely love a few of the vintage blades and woods. I can't really afford the true classics, so most all of mine are garden variety persimmon & laminated woods, and I try to find blades that are as pristine as possible. Going graphite is more of a concession than anything else.

For instance, three weeks ago I tried to start a gas powered string trimmer unsuccessfully. I can STILL feel that in my hand, from pulling on the starter rope. And after the last few weekends, I have noticed it is taking longer to recover, especially in the elbows. So, my first thought to keep on playing is to go graphite with the majority of my rounds, and sprinkle in vintage rounds when it is warm and I feel good. Otherwise, its quit golf, and that just ain't happening.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be able to pick up an older set of King Cobras that had the option of a graphite shaft. I had a set way back when and actually liked them quite a bit. The model I remember had a nice little club head, wasn’t too large, and, didn’t have a stupid amount of offset.

Just looking on the bay and there are a lot of the “oversized” models, but, the one I remember was not oversized.

Well, my memory must not be too good. I can’t seem to locate any other than “oversized.”

So.... The new clubs came yesterday and they had their first go this morning at 5:05 AM. I was not impressed. Felt like I was hitting rocks, and I was using the Chrome Soft ball. Not good. Had a couple of nice shots, but even at that I felt every shot in my hands. So.....they are going back next week. The search continues....

Unfortunate that the irons didn't work out D. The TM LCR were rather generic hard SS irons and nothing inspiring. Combined with the bubble shafts, not surprised you didn't care for them.

Perhaps its time to evaluate what you want from a set of irons. What is the most you want to spend? How often and for how long do you plan on playing them? What do you want the set makeup to consist of? Co you perform your own club work? Ever done a reshaft (it's not difficult). Not sure if you're ever going to find a decent, playable set attempting to do it on the cheap. Classic and graphite are something of a oxymoron.

Perhaps consider the heads and shafts as two separate acquisitions. Buy a good set of players and match them up with new graphite shafts. Lots of options out there on the Bay. Create a set dialed in to your preferences. Create a set of irons that you can live with for the next 10 years.

Do not discount the quality of the Snake Eyes heads. They had some very nice components BITD, and with prudent shopping can be had inexpensively. Had a 5 - PW set of these at one time. Regret ever selling them off. Forged heads, good turf interaction, felt very nice when striking the ball. Some marks on the sole (they're forged) but the faces are clean. Would be a good deal at $80 shipped (listed with Make Offer).

https://www.ebay.com...8YAAOSw3ChbM9Fa

Match them up with some PL Blue graphites. Regular or Senior. A very good value for graphite shafts here. Shaft only the heads you are going to play.

https://www.ebay.com...ar=423025922466

The whole shebang for > $200.00. Nice set of sticks that one can enjoy playing from feel and absence of pain standpoint. The above are only by way of example on the quick. There are many options with some time and prudent shopping. Heck, if you don't want to assemble them yourself, shoot me a PM.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Unfortunate that the irons didn't work out D. The TM LCR were rather generic hard SS irons and nothing inspiring. Combined with the bubble shafts, not surprised you didn't care for them.

Perhaps its time to evaluate what you want from a set of irons. What is the most you want to spend? How often and for how long do you plan on playing them? What do you want the set makeup to consist of? Co you perform your own club work? Ever done a reshaft (it's not difficult). Not sure if you're ever going to find a decent, playable set attempting to do it on the cheap. Classic and graphite are something of a oxymoron.

Perhaps consider the heads and shafts as two separate acquisitions. Buy a good set of players and match them up with new graphite shafts. Lots of options out there on the Bay. Create a set dialed in to your preferences. Create a set of irons that you can live with for the next 10 years.

Do not discount the quality of the Snake Eyes heads. They had some very nice components BITD, and with prudent shopping can be had inexpensively. Had a 5 - PW set of these at one time. Regret ever selling them off. Forged heads, good turf interaction, felt very nice when striking the ball. Some marks on the sole (they're forged) but the faces are clean. Would be a good deal at $80 shipped (listed with Make Offer).

https://www.ebay.com...8YAAOSw3ChbM9Fa

Match them up with some PL Blue graphites. Regular or Senior. A very good value for graphite shafts here. Shaft only the heads you are going to play.

https://www.ebay.com...ar=423025922466

The whole shebang for > $200.00. Nice set of sticks that one can enjoy playing from feel and absence of pain standpoint. The above are only by way of example on the quick. There are many options with some time and prudent shopping. Heck, if you don't want to assemble them yourself, shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it very much.

I went to D sporting goods chain today and hit some new irons on the launch monitor.

Found out my swing speed is around 68 mph average. I don't think a new set is going to increase that significantly.

Working on my swing for consistency, hitting it in the fairway, getting better at my shortgame, and putting better will do more to lower my scores than anything else.

From a pain standpoint, my thought was to get a good cavityback head with a graphite shaft. The TM clubs I hit today, I could feel every shot in my hands - unpleasantly.

Cost: $200 if possible - $300 would be max.

Question: would a senior flex steel shaft feel the same as a regular flex graphite? I suppose it depends on the shaft?

Having played this morning, here about 9 hours later, I feel it more in my hands than anywhere else.

So maybe my focus should be on finding a larger grip, maybe non tapered, and try that with the Wilson 1200 cavity backs I currently have. Would reshafting those be worth it?

I'll check out your suggestions. Ive never done reshafting. Have to think about that one.

Thanks!

Don't know how old you are, and no need to reveal. I'm 67, my iron SS tops out at about 70 mph. Highly doubtful if there's a whole lot I'll be able to do about it moving forward. Even a bunch of lessons will not move the needle much. The club thing has been changing quite dramatically the last several years. And for the time being, not faced with any contributing ailments. I'm right at the point where I'm going to strongly consider senior flex in future irons. Graphite as well. Certainly fall within the parameters based on SS alone. Not to increase distances, that can be accomplished by taking more club. Or choose an easier to hit style of one from distance. Simply to make the process of swinging the club easier. And in your case, less stressful on the joints.

No steel shaft is going to offer the dampening or shock absorption that graphite provides. Period. Senior steel will not feel the same as regular graphite. Two entirely different shafts. If you're going to make a shaft change, go all the way. Not heard one individual in my golfing circle voice regrets for switching to graphite in irons. The common refrain is "why did I wait so long".

The Wilson 1200 is not worth reshafting. Unless you really, really like and play them well. Even then, don't think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Trialing a larger grip on a club would be an inexpensive experiment. May want to consider a much softer grip (several of the Winn grips are very soft) in the size your accustomed to rather than going up in size. The problem with going to a larger grip. If one should be using a standard size, going to the larger one may introduce several unwanted swing problems. Like not being able to close the club face at ball strike as effectively as before.

With a range of $200 - $300, you should be a able to find some good shape older Ping G series or Callaways in graphite. Not all that familiar with Cally's. Depending on how you feel about Pings (they can be an acquired taste for some), $200+ gets you into G15's with graphite. Plus dialing them into to your lie spec (color code). Perhaps G25's with graphite for the $300 area with prudent shopping. If you have a LGS in your area that trades in used clubs, probably could find yourself one of the G series to test.

Consider an acquisition as an investment in your ability to play at golf not only for the now, but also for years to come.

Finding fairways, better swings, improved short game, make putts. Ha! Ha! Don't we all. The pathway to golfing nirvana. Yes, a better short game and putting skills is an absolute necessity for us more seasoned golfers. Throw stokes away all over the course do to the currently dreadful short game skills. Mo' practice. I want to be one of those 150, 150, pitch, and putt old guys. The ones who clean your clock and take your funds.

More .02 from the peanut gallery.

Edit add: Don't want there to be any confusion with any of this proffered. Simply throwing out some ideas for you to ponder. There are no absolutes in any of this. What may be suitable for one, may not be for another. Other than to say there is a path forward that meets your objectives and requirements. Due diligence and investigation will take you where want to go. There's many options.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Swallow your pride and consider getting a set of irons not only with graphite shafts but looking into the hybrid head design for the whole set.

I believe several OEM makes that type of iron and also the component world also has choices for it.

I have already been down that road, buy have had that thought. What I have found playing vintage golf is that the quality of my game has improved over using a full hybrid set. I'm primarily trying to solve a pain issue.

Edit: BTW, I have no pride as I hit from the red (forward) tees. I realize now that I have probably been playing from the wrong tees my whole life!

I want to be one of those 150, 150, pitch, and putt old guys. The ones who clean your clock and take your funds.

I appreciate your thoughtful comments as always. Lots of good stuff for me to chew on.

I too aspire to be that guy you describe. If my launch monitor session told me anything today it was that my venture into playing with vintage clubs has not been detrimental to my game, and that I would probably make the same errors with so called better equipment.

I would not trade the joy I have experienced hitting vintage clubs, even with the pain. One thing i want to see is if i will have the same issues with graphite shafts as i do with vintage clubs. So we'll see.

Thanks for listening!

With a 68 mph swing speed a senior or possibly even a ladies would be in the correct flex catagory, especially if you have a smooth swing transition. Be cautioned though ... there are no standards within the shaft industry in regards to flex. One manufactures stiff can be another manufactures regular and so on. This is particularly true with graphite. Generally speaking when talking graphite iron shafts, the lighter the weight the more soft the flex. Many excellent softer flex graphite available these days. Not suggesting you go out and buy new clubs, but seek out a demo day at a local course and try whats available. That way you can at least get a feel for what you need when it comes to matching a shaft to your swing.

Swallow your pride and consider getting a set of irons not only with graphite shafts but looking into the hybrid head design for the whole set.

I believe several OEM makes that type of iron and also the component world also has choices for it.

I have already been down that road, buy have had that thought. What I have found playing vintage golf is that the quality of my game has improved over using a full hybrid set. I'm primarily trying to solve a pain issue.

Edit: BTW, I have no pride as I hit from the red (forward) tees. I realize now that I have probably been playing from the wrong tees my whole life!

The hybrid type of irons not only is more forgiving with the golf shots but also much tender on the hands and joints. I thought you might want to lessen the vibration traveled up the shaft from hitting the golf ball and the turf. Since you'd tried it before, don't give up on it.

To deal with the lower swing speed, besides finding the right equipment for you, another side of approach is to explore whether you had reached your personal best. A majority portion of the golfers had never, reached their personal potential, not even close.

With the physical ability set static, you could look into the matter from understanding the physics of a golf swing, the interaction between a golf club and a golf ball........ to go near your personal potential.

Yes, a youngster could grip it and rip it. The others could benefit from understanding how it works for needing a little help.

You have some other concerns, you love the aesthetic look of the classic golf clubs, but you're limited by your condition of arthritis in the hands to enjoy using the blades and persimmons. If it is possible to improve o your health issue, do it as soon as possible before you run out of options.

I used to be plaque by arthritis and gout in the hands and feet from over active youth, it ruined my golf game. This was after I passed the age of 56. I went to my annual physical and my M.D. prescribed medication for the symptom and gave me an injection on the spot ( because I had to take a client out golfing the coming week ). The injection made a dramatic difference within a few days and the medication had been maintaining the flair ups to keep it under control.

I'm playing golf pain free, lost some distance to the aging but no pain and still walk the hilly 18 with a push cart.

The hybrid type of irons not only is more forgiving with the golf shots but also much tender on the hands and joints. I thought you might want to lessen the vibration traveled up the shaft from hitting the golf ball and the turf. Since you'd tried it before, don't give up on it.

To deal with the lower swing speed, besides finding the right equipment for you, another side of approach is to explore whether you had reached your personal best. A majority portion of the golfers had never, reached their personal potential, not even close.

With the physical ability set static, you could look into the matter from understanding the physics of a golf swing, the interaction between a golf club and a golf ball........ to go near your personal potential.

Yes, a youngster could grip it and rip it. The others could benefit from understanding how it works for needing a little help.

You have some other concerns, you love the aesthetic look of the classic golf clubs, but you're limited by your condition of arthritis in the hands to enjoy using the blades and persimmons. If it is possible to improve o your health issue, do it as soon as possible before you run out of options.

I used to be plaque by arthritis and gout in the hands and feet from over active youth, it ruined my golf game. This was after I passed the age of 56. I went to my annual physical and my M.D. prescribed medication for the symptom and gave me an injection on the spot ( because I had to take a client out golfing the coming week ). The injection made a dramatic difference within a few days and the medication had been maintaining the flair ups to keep it under control.

I'm playing golf pain free, lost some distance to the aging but no pain and still walk the hilly 18 with a push cart.

Do you have any suggestions in a hybrid? My last ones were Tour Edge Iron Woods.

Do you have any suggestions in a hybrid? My last ones were Tour Edge Iron Woods.

The whole set of iron with hybrid like heads.

Cleveland has https://www.clevelan...ASAAEgIZvvD_BwE

Powerbuilt

https://www.walmart....3&wl13=&veh=sem

Component world has Pinemeadow, and Integra which could be custom built.

Thanks for the links. Just got back from playing an additional nine with our son, where I injured my left arm. So I hope I am going to feel well enough to play another nine before he goes back to Florida at the end of the week.

Senior golf. What fun! Clubs are put away for now.

Wow, that stinks. Hope you're feeling better soon and get another chance to get out with your son while he's still in town.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Thanks for the links. Just got back from playing an additional nine with our son, where I injured my left arm. So I hope I am going to feel well enough to play another nine before he goes back to Florida at the end of the week.

Senior golf. What fun! Clubs are put away for now.

What a bummer! Hope the injury doesn't last too long but just be careful and don't rush back - don't want to make it worse.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Update:

#1 The arm / elbow thing is relieved by that strap that you wear on your forearm, (but for the life of my I can't remember what it is called!) & some Icy Hot. So far so good. Thanks for the kind words.

#2 Hybrids have been ordered and should be here by the end of next week. I have the 5hy and like it, so I ordered the rest of the set in a senior shaft with oversize grips. Should go nicely with my Louisville Smart Persimmon - Graphite Shaft - driver. I also ordered a senior flex driver and 3 wood to go with the hybrids, and was planning to use a conventional SW; a Ping iWedge in a senior flex and graphite shaft. The driver would be something I would have to get used to, so I'll use it sparingly for the rest of the season, unless we click. Same for the 3W.

#3 After further consideration, soul searching, reflection, meditation, and just plain arguing with myself, I have decided reluctantly to limit my vintage rounds to once per month. I'm putting together a minimalist set and choosing the most flexible shafted clubs from my collection, regardless of brand. Since I have already hit everything I own a few times, there will be some mixing but not too much. More woods in the bag, no long irons, and short irons starting at the 7I. So something like a D, 4 or 5W, 7W, 7 - PW, SW, P. 9 clubs max in an ultralight stand bag or a cart for nine, and riding for 18. That should keep the pain manageable for vintage rounds. I'm thinking that the 5W that I have grown to like will fill in for a few clubs since I have been able to hit it in a variety of ways. You can spank the low runner as well as hit a high soft landing shot, so it is quite versatile. Might even eliminate the 3W and eliminate the sporadic wayward shot or fat dribbler. :stop: (NOT my wife's pet name for me...)

So that's my current thinking. Thanks again for listening and for the advice.

:to_become_senile:

Update 7/7: Yesterday the new hybrids came, along with the new driver & three wood. Just got back from posting my best score ever on the Glacial Nine; 5 over par for a 41.

The hybrids all have the same shaft, up to the three wood. Same oversize Lamikin Crossline grips, including the driver. I made it a point to hit as many of them as I could during the round.

First thought: I hit a lot of GIR today. Lots of Fairways too. Approach shots were much closer leading to a lot of one putts. I did not 3 putt at all. So that helped alot.

The clubs were more forgiving in that my mishits went straighter toward the hole. My hands felt good all morning. These clubs are not light, and are very similar to my vintage irons in that respect. The 3 wood is as well.

The driver has a project x shaft. All clubs are senior flex. I'll post a pic of one later.

Teed off at 5 today. It was 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Finished it 2 hours because I paused to take a pic of every shot showing the ball and my view of the hole from that perspective. I'll be making a video collage and posting it tomorrow.

I'm obviously very pleased with the hybrids. I'll see how I feel the rest of the day, and can't wait to get out again to see if this was a fluke.

Played 9 (& cart for $15) after 5:30 with old golf partner, his neighbor, & neighbor's co-worker. Course from 1920-ish. Saw 2 spotted fawns & their mom, which was cool. I'll post video on my new YT channel. Had some very good shots and some truly awful ones. Observations:

Driver is difficult after hitting persimmon for so long. I'm going to set it aside for now and either play the Louisville Smart Persimmon or the Diawa Laminated driver for the rest of the year. Not sure why, but I suspect it is too lite & too flexible for my swing right now. Might be better in late fall or early spring when I am more restricted.

3w is fine, so I'll carry that.

For the "irons" I'm planning to carry 4; 3, 5, 7, & 9. 4, 6, & 8 will go into the locker for use at a later date.

Edit: Decided to set up two bags, one with each driver and each odd or even set of hybrids. I'll see how that works for the rest of the summer. So both will be mixed bags.

The gap hy is coming out for use practicing at home. The PW will stay, but I am looking for a Ping iWedge to go with my SW, so not for long.

My goal is to carry 6-7 clubs and push cart no more that 10, and continue to walk rather than ride. So I'll be fiddling with combinations to see how that effects scoring.

After 2 rounds I have found some hybrids easier to hit than others. Not wild about the wedges. Like the 3hy alot. I'm sure that I will get used to them.

Played vintage in the morning with my Sunday bag & modern in the pm. I'm a bit sore this morning, but not too bad. So far so good. I have more trouble with pull starts & pain than anything else, so at least I have that identified.

The match last night turned into a practice round when the other guys were 30 minutes late for the tee time, and revealed that their combined experience over the last three years was 27 holes. They gave " rusty" a bad name. Truly a hackfest there. I've never seen anyone hold a golf club with enough space between his hands where he could have fit a third between them. Putting he could have used two more between. The other guy hit his irons very well. 10ft per stroke.

You should have seen them in the sand traps. I thought they were going to create they're own dustbowl for a moment.

Anyway..... Looks like I'm headed for a mixed bag with the hybrids and will swap out the driver next round. Stay tuned...

The match last night turned into a practice round when the other guys were 30 minutes late for the tee time, and revealed that their combined experience over the last three years was 27 holes. They gave " rusty" a bad name. Truly a hackfest there. I've never seen anyone hold a golf club with enough space between his hands where he could have fit a third between them. Putting he could have used two more between. The other guy hit his irons very well. 10ft per stroke.

You should have seen them in the sand traps. I thought they were going to create they're own dustbowl for a moment.

When I get stuck with guys like that I don't know whether I should be aggravated or thankful that they make me feel better about my game. ;)

Hope the pain continues to diminish and that you find the right combination of what works for you and that you enjoy.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

When I get stuck with guys like that I don't know whether I should be aggravated or thankful that they make me feel better about my game. ;)

Hope the pain continues to diminish and that you find the right combination of what works for you and that you enjoy.

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words. I hope your elbow gets better quick!

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words. I hope your elbow gets better quick!

You two are an inspiration to me. You've found a way to overcome age and infirmity to continue to do what you love. I hope to find that place myself one day. Might take a while as I seem to be prone to still doing things I shouldn't be doing just because they need to get done and it's easier to do it myself than find someone else to do it!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You two are an inspiration to me. You've found a way to overcome age and infirmity to continue to do what you love. I hope to find that place myself one day. Might take a while as I seem to be prone to still doing things I shouldn't be doing just because they need to get done and it's easier to do it myself than find someone else to do it!

Tell me about it! It's good to know you're not alone in your struggles, and without this whole group life and golf would be a whole lot more difficult.

The hardest thing with arthritis is to keep moving. I have access to a riding cart at work, but decided to only use it sparingly when I have to transport parts across the plant. Yesterday I got over 4000 steps in! Keep 'er movin!

Walking & carrying is painful, & I can't help but notice all of the young people I see riding when I play. Even pre-teen kids! Then I notice guys older than me still walking and carrying, & they inspire me to keep going.

I read last night that Harry Vardon accomplished his great record using only 6 clubs. Thats what I want to do, and every time I go minimalist I seem to enjoy golf more. It's less painful and easier on my back.

I also ran across some video (yes, my vhs player still works) tapes in the thrift store where the guy moves his feet and legs, rather than keeping them planted. Same as that Jullian Mellor guy does. That's for me man! And I noticed that Gary Player does a step through move as does Padric Herrington. Something else that helps.

But just knowing that guys here like you and Tim, and many others, play with and through pain is a big encouragement to me too. I hope all those kids get out of their carts and start walking, before they cant anymore.

Now I gotta keep working on getting rid of that gut.

Thanks for your kind words!

+1 on the walking - I can handle 9 holes pretty well still - scared to think what would happen to my body if I stopped walking. As for the "gut' - I've explained to my doctor that it helps me keep centered over the ball and prevents swaying. If you say it long enough you can just about do it with a straight face - helps also that my doctor doesn't play golf. :golfer:

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

+1 on the walking - I can handle 9 holes pretty well still - scared to think what would happen to my body if I stopped walking. As for the "gut' - I've explained to my doctor that it helps me keep centered over the ball and prevents swaying. If you say it long enough you can just about do it with a straight face - helps also that my doctor doesn't play golf. :golfer:

LOL

It's a difficult balance trying to determine what is discomfort or pain that will pass or true injury that will not.

There is a price to pay for every swing and every round I play. I know the price and am still willing to pay it.

There will come a day when I am unable to do so. I will continue pushing that day back as long as I can.

Keep Swinging,

Tim

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Saw a doe and two fawns last night during the round. Uploaded a video here:

https://www.youtube....gcCnbJE-ZySWvuw

Which part of Wisconsin are you in ? Still have frosty greens in the early morning , in July ?

Oh, and with your new driver, since it's lighter and longer in playing length, try grip it down an inch or two.