Dear Titleist:

2over

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver/Girlfriend analogy time...

Titleist guys : my driver is beautiful, loves me and I think she's a 10!

Callaway guy: lol, hey Titleist driver guy, your girlfriend is a stuffy librarian with no personality and cankles, but you guys make a great couple!

Taylormade guy: lol, that's true, and I think she's a short chunky muffin top who's a 6 at best. Hey, fat uglies need love too, right bro? Hahaha

Callaway guy: hahahaha.... harsh bro!

Titleist guy: screw you guys, you don't understand our relationship.

Taylormade guy: you are right, we don't.

True story.

ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Driver/Girlfriend analogy time...

Titleist guys : my driver is beautiful, loves me and I think she's a 10!

Callaway guy: lol, hey Titleist driver guy, your girlfriend is a stuffy librarian with no personality and cankles, but you guys make a great couple!

Taylormade guy: lol, that's true, and I think she's a short chunky muffin top who's a 6 at best. Hey, fat uglies need love too, right bro? Hahaha

Callaway guy: hahahaha.... harsh bro!

Titleist guy: screw you guys, you don't understand our relationship.

Taylormade guy: you are right, we don't.

True story.

ZA

You've definitely got that one backwards.

Titleist driver guys: Far and away dating the hottest, classiest, sexiest, best dressed girl, shows up to the party or the restaurant with her and makes every other guy jealous. But she needs a lot of attention and isn't always into doing everything they want her to do....

Callaway and TM driver guys: Likes their girl fast and loose. A few tats? No problem. Smokes cigs? No problem. Shows up at the party already half in the bag; perfect! Will hook up with you in the back seat of your mom's station wagon before you even get home? Of course!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

My 910 D2 and 910F just reclaimed they’re spots this week, they get bumped periodically for newer or fancier clubs, but I always come back to them. I’m starting to wonder why I even bother trying to replace them every winter haha. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Dear Titleist:

I've never really told you how I feel about you... uh, er, about your drivers. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve or emote all that much. I could, maybe, communicate better and no doubt, it would improve our relationship. But to put it simply: I love you, uh, er, your drivers (your irons, not so much, but that's another letter, for another time). I haven't always been faithful to you, I admit. I've had some flings where I've carried on, sometimes for years, behind your back, with flashier, sexier, longer models. But I keep crawling back, chastened, to my (if not first at least my longest/strongest) love. So I'll pour out my heart now, and confess why I'll open up my wallet again in the fall and get one of those TS3 thingies you are teasing me with...

I've played a lot of different drivers (been playing for nearly 50 years, started with persimmon--a Hogan, not one of yours. Did you make drivers in the '70s? I can't remember. That was a long time ago. We were both different then). Anyway, I got to scratch for a bit in my late 30's, thanks in part to your drivers and golf balls. Those were good times. Now, in my mid 50's, I'm still a low single digit HC who laments the roughly 10 mph loss of clubhead speed that was a not so happy over-50 birthday present from I don't know who? Father Time? I hate that guy). The original Big Bertha was my first falling away from you. It was a big advance from anything else you had on offer (DCI Starship?). But your 975D knocked that Cally right out of the bag and won me back. I dallied with a Tour Edge for a few years in the early 00s that I liked--it made me feel young again. But your 915D3 had me crawling back, saying "Sorry!", knocking a pretty sexy Tour Issue R1 out of the bag). Had a brief flirtation with the Callaway Epic Sub Zero two years ago (but my 24 year old son stole it away from me, which was awkward).

Anyway: why have I strayed but returned to your fold for the best part of the last 25 years, Titleist? I've always been able to find a a driver from one of your myriad competitors that's a little longer (up to 5-8 yards carry--still hit the R1 about 5 yards farther than your 915D3 on a solid hit). But I always come back to Titleist drivers because they always look clean and classic and great to my eye (like those Mizzy MP-33s that you really need to try harder to copy). So, yeah, like most guys, I'm shallow! Looks are really important to me. There. I said it. Looks inspire confidence, which usually leads to control. And I'm a bit of a control freak, I confess. The Titleist drivers I've played have always hit my expected trajectory window without any surprises--I feel like I know where the ball is going on the tee box which, to quote MasterCard: priceless. Titleist drivers have most reliably of any kept me in the fairway more often than your (sometimes sexier and longer) competitors. My scores are usually lower, too. Forgiveness is next--slight mishits with the 915D3 are so much less punishing in distance/line than the TM R1 and M3 for me). And I like the sound/feel--not too loud, not too mushy, and not as dead/clicky/harsh as the TMs I've tried hard to like. The Titleist sound/feel has for me always been a better match with my Mizzys. Baby bear. Just right. I have hit a friend's 917D3 and it is bit quieter, which I do like. But the grey? That was a miss. Black is your best color. If the TS3 is black and continues that slightly more muted sound, I will be very pleased. Plus, Titleist stock shaft offerings have been very good the last 2 models, and the price is fair for what you get.

So Titleist, I think you've got me with this TS3 thing. That looks like it could see me through to my sunset years. You've never put out the latest, greatest, tech-iest, longest, jail-break-iest, twist-face-iest, most eye catching drivers. But thank you that you've also never put out any two-tone painted, or white drivers, or any with green "speed lines" or visible carbon fiber crowns. Thank you, thank you, Titleist for never doing that to us! You never been the fastest driver around, ball speed-wise, but that's OK. As long as you're within a couple MPH of the others, I'll be true. So don't read all the other letters about how you need to up your game and quit being so steady, classic, restrained, and muted. As they say: "Don't go changing'/ to try and please me/ we never would have come this far.../ I love you just the way you are..."

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

Dear Anxious in Asheville

I get it, you've always liked me. That's great.

But seriously, the letters, text messages and phone calls need to stop. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable.

Sincerely

Titleist

Titleist hasn't had a good driver since the 983E. Everything since has been high spinning pieces of crap.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

TM will always have Titleist in innovation on Drivers

Will they ever catch up in classiness though.....

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Dear Titleist:

I've never really told you how I feel about you... uh, er, about your drivers. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve or emote all that much. I could, maybe, communicate better and no doubt, it would improve our relationship. But to put it simply: I love you, uh, er, your drivers (your irons, not so much, but that's another letter, for another time). I haven't always been faithful to you, I admit. I've had some flings where I've carried on, sometimes for years, behind your back, with flashier, sexier, longer models. But I keep crawling back, chastened, to my (if not first at least my longest/strongest) love. So I'll pour out my heart now, and confess why I'll open up my wallet again in the fall and get one of those TS3 thingies you are teasing me with...

I've played a lot of different drivers (been playing for nearly 50 years, started with persimmon--a Hogan, not one of yours. Did you make drivers in the '70s? I can't remember. That was a long time ago. We were both different then). Anyway, I got to scratch for a bit in my late 30's, thanks in part to your drivers and golf balls. Those were good times. Now, in my mid 50's, I'm still a low single digit HC who laments the roughly 10 mph loss of clubhead speed that was a not so happy over-50 birthday present from I don't know who? Father Time? I hate that guy). The original Big Bertha was my first falling away from you. It was a big advance from anything else you had on offer (DCI Starship?). But your 975D knocked that Cally right out of the bag and won me back. I dallied with a Tour Edge for a few years in the early 00s that I liked--it made me feel young again. But your 915D3 had me crawling back, saying "Sorry!", knocking a pretty sexy Tour Issue R1 out of the bag). Had a brief flirtation with the Callaway Epic Sub Zero two years ago (but my 24 year old son stole it away from me, which was awkward).

Anyway: why have I strayed but returned to your fold for the best part of the last 25 years, Titleist? I've always been able to find a a driver from one of your myriad competitors that's a little longer (up to 5-8 yards carry--still hit the R1 about 5 yards farther than your 915D3 on a solid hit). But I always come back to Titleist drivers because they always look clean and classic and great to my eye (like those Mizzy MP-33s that you really need to try harder to copy). So, yeah, like most guys, I'm shallow! Looks are really important to me. There. I said it. Looks inspire confidence, which usually leads to control. And I'm a bit of a control freak, I confess. The Titleist drivers I've played have always hit my expected trajectory window without any surprises--I feel like I know where the ball is going on the tee box which, to quote MasterCard: priceless. Titleist drivers have most reliably of any kept me in the fairway more often than your (sometimes sexier and longer) competitors. My scores are usually lower, too. Forgiveness is next--slight mishits with the 915D3 are so much less punishing in distance/line than the TM R1 and M3 for me). And I like the sound/feel--not too loud, not too mushy, and not as dead/clicky/harsh as the TMs I've tried hard to like. The Titleist sound/feel has for me always been a better match with my Mizzys. Baby bear. Just right. I have hit a friend's 917D3 and it is bit quieter, which I do like. But the grey? That was a miss. Black is your best color. If the TS3 is black and continues that slightly more muted sound, I will be very pleased. Plus, Titleist stock shaft offerings have been very good the last 2 models, and the price is fair for what you get.

So Titleist, I think you've got me with this TS3 thing. That looks like it could see me through to my sunset years. You've never put out the latest, greatest, tech-iest, longest, jail-break-iest, twist-face-iest, most eye catching drivers. But thank you that you've also never put out any two-tone painted, or white drivers, or any with green "speed lines" or visible carbon fiber crowns. Thank you, thank you, Titleist for never doing that to us! You never been the fastest driver around, ball speed-wise, but that's OK. As long as you're within a couple MPH of the others, I'll be true. So don't read all the other letters about how you need to up your game and quit being so steady, classic, restrained, and muted. As they say: "Don't go changing'/ to try and please me/ we never would have come this far.../ I love you just the way you are..."

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

These are different and you will see that once you hit it

Dear Titleist:

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

I still have a mint 975D with a Prolite if you get desperate !

So do I and it's not going anywhere. I doubt I'll ever get rid of that 7.5 degree angel.

Titleist 917D3 9.0, Tour AD GP 7x (shortened 1")
Titleist 917F3 15.0, Fujikura Tour Spec 80x (shortened 1")
Titleist 716 TMB 2-iron, DG s300 AMT or Titleist 818H2 21*, Tensei White 90x
Callaway X-Forged 2013 4-pw, PXi 6.0
Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 with TI DG s400
Titleist Classic Newport 2 (oil can finish stripped and re-blued with 4 strips lead tape on sole)
Titleist prov1x
Ping Hoofer Bag (2016 version)

Titleist for my game have always been long off the tee, yet not as accurate as Cobra LTD or Srixon Z765.

Recently bought a Rogue and M4 for my brother and both were awesome drivers (he had most Titleist drivers in the bag) and for him the Titlest 915 and M4 were almost identical (he hits the M4 better).

To me any driver can be used well in any good players bag. But for me Srixon and Cobra have always been the top two driver companies due to their accuracy and distance.

Dear Titleist:

XOXO

Anxious in Asheville

I still have a mint 975D with a Prolite if you get desperate !

So do I and it's not going anywhere. I doubt I'll ever get rid of that 7.5 degree angel.

If we could stop quoting the entire epic original post in our replies that’d be great! ?

But Titleist will always have TM on looks, sound, shape, class, and forgiveness.

Uh-oh! Yes I did! It’s a Throw down TM fan boys!!

Go ahead.....I know....tell me all about ball speed and spin. Blah, blah blah. I’m a TM hater and I’m plugging my ears and singing now!! ; )

Much like yourself I was a TM hater and laughed at all the their new driver releases that seemed like every six months. Not to mention all of their claims of 15-20 yard gains for each new driver release, the #1 driver on tour, loft up for distance (SLDR), and such. However...as much as I love Titleist for their clean looks, great shaped eye appealing heads, solid feel, and accuracy I could not deny the 2016 M2. It is the first TM driver I have every liked based on looks alone when set behind the ball. It has a great head shape and a clean look. Some do not like the two tone crown, but I am not one of them as it just appeals to me. It is a just a simple driver with only loft adjustability. Having said that, the M2 offers everything to me in terms of feel, forgiveness and accuracy that the Titleist provides but there is no denying the fact that it is longer and has less spin. I will be honest, I am still not a fan of the 917 series. The sole weight does not appeal to me and for some reason after three straight years of gorgeous black drivers, the grey is not very appealing to me either. Trust me it was a hard fought battle between the 915D3 and the M2, but the M2 won out hands down in looks and performance. I should say that the 2017 M2 and the new M3/M4 do not appeal to me either. The 2016 M2 is so good they should still be making it! The only thing I would change on it would be to make the white border smaller like the 2017 model and then it would be absolutely perfect IMO.

Note: As you can see from the rest of my bag, I am a Titleist junky.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

As someone who has played TM woods and drivers for the past decade, I recently picked up a second hand 915 D3, and immediately gained about 10 yards and much tighter dispersion. Love it. Love it so much, I just ordered a 917 F3 to go with it, dethroning my M2 Tour.

I think I may be a Titleist guy after all.

But Titleist will always have TM on looks, sound, shape, class, and forgiveness.

Uh-oh! Yes I did! It’s a Throw down TM fan boys!!

Go ahead.....I know....tell me all about ball speed and spin. Blah, blah blah. I’m a TM hater and I’m plugging my ears and singing now!! ; )

Much like yourself I was a TM hater and laughed at all the their new driver releases that seemed like every six months. Not to mention all of their claims of 15-20 yard gains for each new driver release, the #1 driver on tour, loft up for distance (SLDR), and such. However...as much as I love Titleist for their clean looks, great shaped eye appealing heads, solid feel, and accuracy I could not deny the 2016 M2. It is the first TM driver I have every liked based on looks alone when set behind the ball. It has a great head shape and a clean look. Some do not like the two tone crown, but I am not one of them as it just appeals to me. It is a just a simple driver with only loft adjustability. Having said that, the M2 offers everything to me in terms of feel, forgiveness and accuracy that the Titleist provides but there is no denying the fact that it is longer and has less spin. I will be honest, I am still not a fan of the 917 series. The sole weight does not appeal to me and for some reason after three straight years of gorgeous black drivers, the grey is not very appealing to me either. Trust me it was a hard fought battle between the 915D3 and the M2, but the M2 won out hands down in looks and performance. I should say that the 2017 M2 and the new M3/M4 do not appeal to me either. The 2016 M2 is so good they should still be making it! The only thing I would change on it would be to make the white border smaller like the 2017 model and then it would be absolutely perfect IMO.

Note: As you can see from the rest of my bag, I am a Titleist junky.

2016 m2 is still their longest most forgiving offering. their best since the r510tp and 580xd

Dear Titleist,

I have never owned one of your clubs, but I have used your golf balls. Mostly ones I have found or received in the way of a gift. Thank you for not enticing me into spending even more money on this silly game.

bullie76

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Dear Titleist

I do have an issue

My son has 716 Ap1’s