VOTE NOW: What are the best players irons of 2018?

aturskyatursky Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
You, the GolfWRX members, have spoken regarding the best blade irons of 2018: http://www.golfwrx.com/518238/golfwrx-members-choice-the-best-blade-irons-of-2018/

Now, we want to hear what you think are the best players irons, and why.

Please select the top THREE from the list of players irons (which exclude blade offerings) and tell us why you picked those three in the comment thread below.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,538 ClubWRX
    Ping iBlade - easily the most aesthetically pleasing of the irons listed. Feels great, hydro-pearl finish (along with being a cast iron) keeps bag chatter to a minimum. If I didn't play Apex MB's I'd be playing iBlade's.

Titleist 718AP2 - the perennial favorite among Titleist staffers for good reason. All of the technology of a CB in a thin, pleasing package. Looks sharp, feels crisp.

Titleist 718CB - The lost middle child between AP2 and MB. Probably the most underrated offering in Titleist's line year in and year out. I think if more people who were leaning toward AP2's or T-MB's gave the CB a chance, they'd end up playing them.

Kinda wish JPX900 Tour's came out in '18 so they could dominate this post. Best players iron I've hit.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • SefSef Members Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FG Tour V6 is #1 for me. I have played them for 2 seasons and they are everything you could want in a players iron.

The King Forged Tour are second, very playable, accurate, and more forgiveness than i expected from them.

The 718 CB is 3rd, just solid clubs.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* - Fuji Pro 2.0 70X
    Callaway 816 Alpha 3w - Rogue I/O 70X
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 19* 5w - Tour Green 75X
    Ping S55 4-pw - Project X LZ 7.0
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • SefSef Members Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bomber_11 wrote:

Ping iBlade - easily the most aesthetically pleasing of the irons listed. Feels great, hydro-pearl finish (along with being a cast iron) keeps bag chatter to a minimum. If I didn't play Apex MB's I'd be playing iBlade's.

Titleist 718AP2 - the perennial favorite among Titleist staffers for good reason. All of the technology of a CB in a thin, pleasing package. Looks sharp, feels crisp.

Titleist 718CB - The lost middle child between AP2 and MB. Probably the most underrated offering in Titleist's line year in and year out. I think if more people who were leaning toward AP2's or T-MB's gave the CB a chance, they'd end up playing them.

Kinda wish JPX900 Tour's came out in '18 so they could dominate this post. Best players iron I've hit.

Odd that the JPX 900 Tour isn’t on the list, the V6 and King Forged Tour both released in 2017 and are present.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* - Fuji Pro 2.0 70X
    Callaway 816 Alpha 3w - Rogue I/O 70X
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 19* 5w - Tour Green 75X
    Ping S55 4-pw - Project X LZ 7.0
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • joeplus2joeplus2 Whoa...Barry Sanders! Members Posts: 113
    It would take a heck of a complete iron to remove AP2's from my bag. What more could one want?
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 21, 2018 #6
    joeplus2 wrote:

It would take a heck of a complete iron to remove AP2's from my bag. What more could one want?

Something soft...J15CBs. 😁
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • dlarocca1dlarocca1 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    I have

Titleist AP2: great consistent club year after year

Mizuno MP18SC: one of the best feeling irons I have ever hit

PXG 0311T: Went to a fitting and this club gave me above and beyond the best numbers on issue is price but buy them if you got it.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s Vega VDC-01 and there isn’t a close second. if you haven’t hit them you havent hit the best. From sole design to the low low offset to the large amount of forgiveness in the softest forging in golf ( literally softest made ) .
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d love to know what irons are actually in the bag, being played. By this pole and the blade pole, Mizuno are dominating the market. But I wouldn’t of thought they actually have the sales to match these stats.
  • klbcecklbcec Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 22, 2018 #10
    Sef wrote:

The FG Tour V6 is #1 for me. I have played them for 2 seasons and they are everything you could want in a players iron.

The King Forged Tour are second, very playable, accurate, and more forgiveness than i expected from them.

I am sure this is true. I have the FG Tour V4's after playing MP 33's for at least a dozen years followed by the Ping S55's for a year and the MP 4's for a couple years.

I found the FG V4's to be great clubs - won two club championships with them. I believe the latest Wilsons are vastly under appreciated.
  • jefftomahawkjefftomahawk Members Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 22, 2018 #11
    While not good enough to play them, love the looks of the PXG 0311T irons , intriguing and costly.
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    edited Jun 22, 2018 #12
    oz dee cee wrote:

I'd love to know what irons are actually in the bag, being played. By this pole and the blade pole, Mizuno are dominating the market. But I wouldn't of thought they actually have the sales to match these stats.

Bear in mind that of the golfing public, a very small subset participates in the various online forums. WRX is hardly a representative sample of the population.

Put another way, no statistician worth his salt would base a study on responses from the golf forums.
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 North carolinaMembers Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Ap2’s all the way. I’ve had them for about 6 months ago and if titleist stays consistent with how they make them, I’ll never switch. It like cutting through butter with a hot knife. They also allow for excellent shot shaping

The iblades were my second just because of the soft feeling to the ball. I only used them during a fitting but they were a close second to the ap2’s
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ap2’s all the way. I’ve had them for about 6 months ago and if titleist stays consistent with how they make them, I’ll never switch. It like cutting through butter with a hot knife. They also allow for excellent shot shaping

The iblades were my second just because of the soft feeling to the ball. I only used them during a fitting but they were a close second to the ap2’s

Titleist cannot compete with the softness of Mizuno and Endo Forging... period.

They are crisp but clicky... always have been and I don't see that changing. That said, they do perform well, as seen and proven on Tour weekly. You do need to be a rather good ball striker to get full performance from AP2s...there are at least 4 sets of Player CBs that are more forgiving; 750s, J15CB, X-Forged, and 745s to name a few.

Ironically, those same four sets are also softer. 😏
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sef wrote:

Bomber_11 wrote:

Odd that the JPX 900 Tour isn’t on the list, the V6 and King Forged Tour both released in 2017 and are present.

Jon 900 tour won this contest last year and is about to be replaced towards end of this year
  • StumpnavStumpnav Members Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    My irons are split between the Callaway XForged and MBs. I would not shed a tear if you told me I could only use the XForged through the bag. They have an awesome feel and performance.
    Epic 9.0 T800
    Epic 3W
    Epic Heavenwood
    (or Callaway UT XForged 18*)
    Callaway XForged 4-6
    Callaway MB 7-A
    Callaway MD Forged 56, 60
    Odyssey RSX001
    Chrome Soft X 18
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Redjeep83 wrote:

iblades aren't soft, they have a unique feeling into the ball but it's not soft. Yes, mizuno do feel softer than a titleist but I've found, most shots you can't much. Titleist has the edge in the looks department compared to mizzy though esp short irons. P750 is def not more forgiving than ap2, ap2 are very forgiving for a players iron, probably one of the most on this list but turf interaction can be a bit clunky
    Saying iBlades aren’t soft is essentially labeling yourself as someone who will never give a cast iron a chance. iBlades are soft. Are they are soft as a Mizuno? No. But nothing really is. Are they as soft as my AP2’s? Yes. iBlades are incredible clubs and I would game them in a heartbeat.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Redjeep83 wrote:

iblades aren't soft, they have a unique feeling into the ball but it's not soft. Yes, mizuno do feel softer than a titleist but I've found, most shots you can't much. Titleist has the edge in the looks department compared to mizzy though esp short irons. P750 is def not more forgiving than ap2, ap2 are very forgiving for a players iron, probably one of the most on this list but turf interaction can be a bit clunky
    Saying iBlades aren’t soft is essentially labeling yourself as someone who will never give a cast iron a chance. iBlades are soft. Are they are soft as a Mizuno? No. But nothing really is. Are they as soft as my AP2’s? Yes. iBlades are incredible clubs and I would game them in a heartbeat.

I’ve had iblades in the bag for 2 years now, lol. They aren’t soft, they have a unique feeling at impact, it’s not bad but it’s certainly not soft. Btw and I have played cast irons that felt soft
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Cuyahoga Falls, OhioMembers Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    klbcec wrote:

Sef wrote:

I am sure this is true. I have the FG Tour V4's after playing MP 33's for at least a dozen years followed by the Ping S55's for a year and the MP 4's for a couple years.

I found the FG V4's to be great clubs - won two club championships with them. I believe the latest Wilsons are vastly under appreciated.

I voted the V6 as well but after hitting the C300 forged I would place it even higher than the V6!!!!
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* Matrix VLCT 115+ 75xx
    TM sldr 15*  VTS 7x
    Callaway X2Hot pro 20* Tour green 75-X
    TaylorMade RSi2 5-pw CTAPER 130X
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putte- Machine M2A converter
    Ball- [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kirkland Signature or TM TP5 x[/font]
    WITB Link
  • ipfkusmeipfkusme Members Posts: 1
    Mizuno MP18 SC are some of the best irons I've hit in a while.

Ping iBlade are my second choice. If Mizuno didn't bring out the MP18 line I would have got the Ping iBlades.
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Adilia Rouge Silver x-stiff
    2016 M2 FW Adilia Rouge Silver x-stiff
    Srixon U65 3 Iron Graphite Design
    Mizuno MP 18SC 4-pw KBS C-Taper x-stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 50, 54 degrees KBS C-Taper x-stiff
    Callawy Forged Wedge 60 degrees KBS HI-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 North carolinaMembers Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    jonn443 wrote:

Titleist cannot compete with the softness of Mizuno and Endo Forging... period.

They are crisp but clicky... always have been and I don't see that changing. That said, they do perform well, as seen and proven on Tour weekly. You do need to be a rather good ball striker to get full performance from AP2s...there are at least 4 sets of Player CBs that are more forgiving; 750s, J15CB, X-Forged, and 745s to name a few.

Ironically, those same four sets are also softer. 😏

I think the Ap2’s fit my general misses pretty well. I usually miss toe, and that’s where they have forgiveness.

Now for heel shots, there’s almost no forgiveness. She’s going right, and hard.

I personally like the clock though.
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The iBlades get my vote. Easy to hit, and very workable.

The fact that I'm playing them has nothing to do with my vote of course. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • f18sumdayf18sumday ClubWRX Posts: 43
    PXG 0311Ts get my vote. Long time Titleist CB/MB combo player and did a PXG fitting at my club and they were amazing. With the new Heros program, I may be able to afford them.
  • dmarabella13dmarabella13 Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Idk what it is, but i hit the P770 irons so well. I'm a Titleist guy, and love the AP2s especially the 718, but i just can't justify switching from my P770 right now. I do need stiffer shafts however so maybeeeeee lol
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7X
    Titleist 917 F2 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Black 8X
    Titleist 816 H1 19* - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 95X
    Titleist 716 TMB 4 Iron - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 105X
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9 Irons - Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54S, 58M - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx S400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Titleist ProV1
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    AP2s are not a blade or a player’s club. 770 also. GI.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

AP2s are not a blade or a player’s club. 770 also. GI.

OK

Very authoritative answer BUT, Golf Digest calls both of them players irons. The number six player on the PGA tour plays one of them. I guess you can call them what you want but they are still categorized by major publications as players irons and I consider Spieth a player and he uses one SO...they are players irons :-))
    Taylormade M5 driver with Tensei Orange stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Taylormade P790 5i with Recoil 95 F4 shaft
    Taylormade P770 6i-AW with Recoil 95 F4 shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 with KBS
    Taylormade Spider X

First single OEM I have played and love it
  • mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2018 #27
    Mizuno mp 18 sc. feels better than ap2 with forgiveness. The look is classic and pure. Steel is softer. Ap2 although looks better than old it played the same.
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Members Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    AP2 718 are the best Ap2 of all time and are flipping awesome.

Ive owned the SC18, Xforged, 770s and Overall the AP2 blow them away.

M6 10.5 ATMOS BLACK
    M6 ROCKET 14 DEG ATMOS BLACK
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW S300
    CLEVELAND RTX 4.0 52 56 60
    NEWPORT 2

• dmarabella13dmarabella13 Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

Idk what it is, but i hit the P770 irons so well. I'm a Titleist guy, and love the AP2s especially the 718, but i just can't justify switching from my P770 right now. I do need stiffer shafts however so maybeeeeee lol

Ended up making the switch to AP2s since i wanted stiffer shafts. Unreal feeling and look to these irons. Tested all the Mizuno stuff as well, kept coming back around to AP2s
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7X
    Titleist 917 F2 15* - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Black 8X
    Titleist 816 H1 19* - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 95X
    Titleist 716 TMB 4 Iron - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 105X
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9 Irons - Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54S, 58M - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Onyx S400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Titleist ProV1
  • mbbrewermbbrewer Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Always_roughAlways_rough Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    Currently gaming 900 Tours, but on this poll, the 750's take the cake.

When getting fit for iron's last year, I hit literally everything that was out at the time with different shafts that I prefer. The 900 Tours won, but only because they were half the price of the p750's. The p770's had a little too big of a topline, otherwise they'd probably be in my bag.

AP2's are AP2's, don't like their turf interaction though. Just hard when you don't play on country club fairways and grass.

Callaway offerings this year were nice, but most friends who game Callaway stuck with the Apex '16's.

I hit the MP-18 SC's many a time trying to convince myself I needed them, but the finish and feel of the 900 Tours have kept them in my bag.
    Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file