2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Seeing increasing# of p790 on bst.

Still, I can't find better alternative

The most common reason I'm hearing as to whey they trading in their P790's is lack of consistent distance control, and that's the reason I'm looking a new irons for myself. I was considering the P790's previous to this, but now I'm considering the i500's or a G700/i500 combo for better distance control and holding greens.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I need the lofts checked on mine as I played a weekend tournament and was consistently hitting 195 yard 7 irons. That is a 25 yard increase over my AP2 712 with stock lofts. Guess I could dump the 4 and 5? That wouldnt be a problem, but the 8 iron is only 165. 30 yard gaps are no bueno. No onset the pros dont play these things! When I asked about bending them, the shop balked and said TM says not to due to the foam?? You would think foam is slightly flexible, especially since we arent bending the face. What is the most anyone has bent these on their own?

I had a similar experience. I’m not a long hitter but slightly above average. 184 to the pin with a very large carry. My first time playing these so I do my quick math. It would be a 6 iron in my JPX so I’m going to hit a 7 iron P790...carried the ball 185 and couldn’t hold the green. About 190 total. I gotta get used to these gaps, but the my surprisingly feel very solid. They do not feel hollow at all

P790's are about a club longer than my Callaway Epics, which are pretty long. I do hit the occasional flyer with them but not enough to make me want to get rid of them.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Well, the flier bug has infected my set too. my 6i is going as far as 5i, and 20yds more than my 7i. I've checked the loft and lie and it's std.

Could be just my feeling but 6i feels lighter than other clubs.

I'm going to have store weigh it tomorrow. if I can't find the cause, I might have to drop this set :(

*swing weight is same across the irons.. I'm gonna have to sell this set ....

Well, the flier bug has infected my set too. my 6i is going as far as 5i, and 20yds more than my 7i. I've checked the loft and lie and it's std.

I'm going to have store weigh it tomorrow. if I can't find the cause, I might have to drop this set :(

i had similar gapping issues w my first set. How is this possible?

My guess would be something related with speedform.

My guess would be something related with speedform.

My guess would be more towards manufacturing tolerances regarding face thickness and internal weighting. Given the wild lofts and lies some have seen, including myself with my original P790 UDI, I have doubts about the stringency of their QC.

If the lofts are gapped correctly but you are seeing a massive distance gap, that is coming from either ball speed or spin. The SW is the same so increased clubhead speed with one specific iron out of the set is probably not the culprit. Would be interesting to see LM #’s.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Finally got my UDI and although I only had a few swings on my first 18, I was very impressed. I had a few tee shots and a few second shots and it is long. My tee shots were carrying 240-245 and off the deck I was getting about 230-235. It may replace my 5 wood for some courses.

Lot of shots left to hit but first impressions were good. Think this may be the DI I stick with. Fwiw I got the hzrdus 85 and although it's light, I get a very mid boring flight.

Pros: distance, feel, looks, relatively versatile (hit one out of the rough on a par 5 and had no issue)

Cons: weight with stock setup. Slightly higher launch than I thought I would get, but not high spin.

Edit: added side by side with my 716 CB 3-iron. (3-iron has steel)

Can I ask your average distances with the 4 or 5 iron? My UDI arrives next week and interested to know how far I'm going to get out it. I'm getting around 190-195 with my 5 iron and 200-210 with the 4 iron on good strikes.

Thanks

Anyone just gaming the 790 in the long irons, e.g. 4 and 5 irons? I have the 770s in 6 to pw and waiting on the 790s in 4 and 5. Hoping I can gap them correctly....I order them 1 degree weak.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Anybody else have excessive wearing on the face? Have wear marks on PW and 8 iron within a month and a half. I know they're soft but this is friggin' ridiculous

My only experience with them is when I purchased a like new (but used) set off of the Bay from a seller with 100% rating. The seller mentioned that the PW, 8, and 4 were hit on the range a handful of times. Pictures were of decent quality but nothing that concerned me. When I got them the aforementioned irons all had pretty severe wear marks and tiny gouges on the face. The other irons in the set looked brand new. Dude must have been hitting rock solid practice golf balls. Needless to say, I returned them for a full refund including free return shipping (seller was apologetic and very easy to work with).

Anyone just gaming the 790 in the long irons, e.g. 4 and 5 irons? I have the 770s in 6 to pw and waiting on the 790s in 4 and 5. Hoping I can gap them correctly....I order them 1 degree weak.

I'm gaming the 3 iron. This club has been great for me off the tee and the deck. I can't work it very well, so have a player's CB from 4 iron on up that works great.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61)

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

Why not bend the 6i a degree or two weak? Who cares what the actual number is.

This seems like such a simple fix. Idk why people are dumping their entire sets for this reason.

... I am not sure I have ever seen a set of irons garner so many negative comments. I have played just about every kind of iron known, including Tiger Sharks when I first started playing. I have seen none of the issues brought up on this thread. Played maybe 75 rounds with my first set and face wear was same as any other forged club I have played, and I would go so far as to say probably less. (Fwiw, I do not hit sandy range balls) I have never seen a "flier" that was not caused by outside agents like grass or wind. Gapping has been extremely consistent with the exception of a learning curve initially using my pw. As a + index, iron play is the strongest part of my game and I would not be playing P790's if any of the above were an issue for me. In contrast I find them the longest, most accurate and by a wide margin the best irons I have ever played in the 45 years I have been playing golf. I am usually already looking at new sets coming out before my current set is broken in, but the P790's have changed that. When I was in Phoenix I brought my Cobra Forged Tour irons out after playing my 790's 25 days in a row. But after 9 I went back to the car and put the 790's back in my bag and I loved the Cobra's.

... I do not post this to refute comments from those having personal issues with the P790's but I write it for those on the fence about trying them. Do not be dissuaded by the negative comments and I encourage you to demo them and then decide for yourself. They may not be for you for a myriad of reasons but you owe it to yourself to at least experience them, especially those that could use a little more distance in a players iron.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

... I am not sure I have ever seen a set of irons garner so many negative comments. I have played just about every kind of iron known, including Tiger Sharks when I first started playing. I have seen none of the issues brought up on this thread. Played maybe 75 rounds with my first set and face wear was same as any other forged club I have played, and I would go so far as to say probably less. (Fwiw, I do not hit sandy range balls) I have never seen a "flier" that was not caused by outside agents like grass or wind. Gapping has been extremely consistent with the exception of a learning curve initially using my pw. As a + index, iron play is the strongest part of my game and I would not be playing P790's if any of the above were an issue for me. In contrast I find them the longest, most accurate and by a wide margin the best irons I have ever played in the 45 years I have been playing golf. I am usually already looking at new sets coming out before my current set is broken in, but the P790's have changed that. When I was in Phoenix I brought my Cobra Forged Tour irons out after playing my 790's 25 days in a row. But after 9 I went back to the car and put the 790's back in my bag and I loved the Cobra's.

... I do not post this to refute comments from those having personal issues with the P790's but I write it for those on the fence about trying them. Do not be dissuaded by the negative comments and I encourage you to demo them and then decide for yourself. They may not be for you for a myriad of reasons but you owe it to yourself to at least experience them, especially those that could use a little more distance in a players iron.

+1

As a low handicapper, I also think these irons are outstanding. The improvements I've made with my GIR is bordering on miraculous. My scores are now much more consistent which is the most important factor.

Taylormade hit a homerun with these irons. No ifs ands or buts.

This thread just goes to show you, its all about individual fitting(s) because one person can't tolerate them and takes the hit by unloading them used, and the next guy comes here saying they cant get enough of them. Although it seems to be 2:1 or 3:1 against and NOT happy with them. I think I will to wait until they get the kinks worked out so I'll just stick with my Srixons that give me precise yardages, distance, and forgiveness.

This thread just goes to show you, its all about individual fitting(s) because one person can't tolerate them and takes the hit by unloading them used, and the next guy comes here saying they cant get enough of them. Although it seems to be 2:1 or 3:1 against and NOT happy with them. I think I will to wait until they get the kinks worked out so I'll just stick with my Srixons that give me precise yardages, distance, and forgiveness.

I don't have any skin in this game.

But I do not that someone that isn't happy with a product or service is far more likely to be vociferous about it than someone who is happy. It's the first rule of customer service in any business.

But I do not that someone that isn't happy with a product or service is far more likely to be vociferous about it than someone who is happy. It's the first rule of customer service in any business.

That is true I bet there is a bunch of guys out there started reading this thread that have them and love them and just said moving on. I have heard nothing but good things about the p790s up until I start reading this thread. Hit what you like

I am gaming p790 in 4,5,and 6 and p770 in 7 iron on down. I had the 7 iron bent 1 deg strong , the 6 iron 1.5 deg weak and 5 iron 1 deg weak and the gaps are working well for me so far.

I am gaming p790 in 4,5,and 6 and p770 in 7 iron on down. I had the 7 iron bent 1 deg strong , the 6 iron 1.5 deg weak and 5 iron 1 deg weak and the gaps are working well for me so far.

Thank you!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

From my perspective the 2 UDI is a fantastic club, the HZRDUS 85 was the recipient of all of my complaints. I have ordered one with steel and I expect it to feel much better.

I questioned the QC because many of the complaints are from people who were fit for their clubs. If the lofts are gapped correctly and they are seeing “fliers†there are really only a few options.

1. They don’t notice the wind or grass behind the ball. This is unlikely.

2. They are horrible ball strikers and think their rare solid shots are fliers. This is also unlikely given their handicaps and the fact almost no one is that bad of a ball striker.

3. QC is an issue and some individual irons out there do have “hot spotsâ€, hotter faces than usual, or are somehow internally weighted incorrectly so as to result in very low spin with a particular iron in the set.

4. People are mistaking a “players distance†iron for a GI iron. Something like a G400 may not be as long as P790 but front to back dispersion is tighter because you lose fewer yards on off center hits. This is partially because you have fewer yards to lose, not because the P790 isn’t forgiving. Due to the center of the face being much hotter than around the perimeter on a hollow iron the drop in CT is greater as you work away from the middle. This is true of any high CT club. Think about the distance loss of a when you mis-hit the driver. That is the extreme of case but serves as a good point of reference. I can say 100% I lose 20 yards with the UDI if I catch it a little thin. With a traditional iron the center is not as hot so there is less speed to lose as you work away from center. Hopefully this makes sense.

I would say #4 is most likely as it seems people don’t fully understand the drawbacks of very high core in a smallish clubhead. This would also explain why a +1 handicap would have never noticed this issue.

Edit** I am not basing this 100% on the P790, but also on T-MB, CF16, and other high CT irons that have received numerous complains about fliers.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Very happy with mine as well.

Why not bend the 6i a degree or two weak? Who cares what the actual number is.

This seems like such a simple fix. Idk why people are dumping their entire sets for this reason.

it's not as simple as just distance issue. 6i face is HOT but not all the time. Today it went as far as my 4i. then it went to regular 6i length.

now I want to find out what is causing this.

I finally got to use all of the irons in today’s round. The distance was great and the feel/sound was even better. I can’t believe it’s hollow. Anyway, the most notable thing was how much I wanted to hit 4, 5, and 6. It’s a combination of the hot face, loft, and length of the club that just makes these clubs so easy to elevate. I can’t explain it. I haven’t had as much joy hitting irons in quite some time.

I think what some people are getting with fliers is inconsistency with quality strikes, particularly with the longer clubs. Because of the feel, a mishit feels a lot better than it used to feel from a similar sized iron and I think when people hit a flushed iron that is their optimal distance. For example going into a par 5 I had a distance that would always be a hybrid but I trusted the math and hit a perfect 4 iron, or so I thought. So even tho my line was true and on a rope, it was a little bit shorter than I anticipated but still longer than an AP2 4 iron. So I thought it felt great, but it may have another 10 yards in that club.

The only issues now is that the long irons basically almost go as far as my hybrid and I already carry a 5W so I don’t know what I’ll do. There is a big gap between my 790 AW and my MG 54. Maybe I’ll just take out a long iron and get a 52 degree wedge? That just seems like overkill tho. If you get a full set be prepared to mess with the gaps on the bottom of your bag. I can’t imagine carrying 5 wedges, but may experiment.

From my perspective the 2 UDI is a fantastic club, the HZRDUS 85 was the recipient of all of my complaints. I have ordered one with steel and I expect it to feel much better.

I questioned the QC because many of the complaints are from people who were fit for their clubs. If the lofts are gapped correctly and they are seeing “fliers†there are really only a few options.

2. They are horrible ball strikers and think their rare solid shots are fliers. This is also unlikely given their handicaps and the fact almost no one is that bad of a ball striker.

3. QC is an issue and some individual irons out there do have “hot spotsâ€, hotter faces than usual, or are somehow internally weighted incorrectly so as to result in very low spin with a particular iron in the set.

4. People are mistaking a “players distance†iron for a GI iron. Something like a G400 may not be as long as P790 but front to back dispersion is tighter because you lose fewer yards on off center hits. This is partially because you have fewer yards to lose, not because the P790 isn’t forgiving. Due to the center of the face being much hotter than around the perimeter on a hollow iron the drop in CT is greater as you work away from the middle. This is true of any high CT club. Think about the distance loss of a when you mis-hit the driver. That is the extreme of case but serves as a good point of reference. I can say 100% I lose 20 yards with the UDI if I catch it a little thin. With a traditional iron the center is not as hot so there is less speed to lose as you work away from center. Hopefully this makes sense.

I would say #4 is most likely as it seems people don’t fully understand the drawbacks of very high core in a smallish clubhead. This would also explain why a +1 handicap would have never noticed this issue.

Edit** I am not basing this 100% on the P790, but also on T-MB, CF16, and other high CT irons that have received numerous complains about fliers.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a CT club/iron ???

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a CT club/iron ???

http://wishongolf.com/technology/tech-faqs/

Characteristic Time...related to COR (coefficent of restitution)

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

These irons have produced a great experience for me. Last weekend I shot two under. It has been MANY years since this has happened. I am now 66 YO so obviously didn’t play the tips, but played at 6,400 yards. I am a firm believer that iron play is essential to a great round. This included a double on one of the par fours. If I had a grip and this isn’t much of one, it would be that the peak height seems a little low, but that could be user interface. All and all GREAT set of irons. And yes, probably the best I have ever played. Probably not for playa’s who are high ss golfers due to potential gaps at the bottom of the bag, but for all us regular joes they are really, really supurb.