Maltby KE4 Tour TC

Popeye64

So Golfworks killed my go to utility the HDI. So their new launch of an updated KE4 Tour Tc grabbed my interest. The KE4 utility has been around a long time and has received minor tweaks throughout the years. This one has a lot of subtle changes to the weighting that moves around according to the loft. Traditionally the utility clubs hooked like hell for me. Couldnt hit one straight. That's why I played the more iron like HDI.

The TC is a great looking club. At address it does look like it's an extremely lofted club. It has the back scallop like a Cleveland highbore. Not a bad thing though. The sole of the club has some unique weighting and sort of reverse turf rails with inset weight screws. It has a 5 gram changeable weight so length options are wide open with a Maltby weight kit.

I wasnt ready for how well this club performs and most importantly how it sound and felt. It's hard to put into works how pleasing the sound is. A muted click, or maybe a subtle crack, followed buy a blissful feedback. I have always played forged clubs and the feel of this is perfect. The ball rockets off the face and goes a long way. This one is a 4,, 22° and my buddy the Pro was hitting it 280.. He was actually giggling at how long the club was. I wish I took a picture of the ball speed and carry data.. it was nuts. My results were more down to earth.

I was seeing great distances and really high ball speeds. But that was indoors.

Out on course it was as straight as it could possibly be. Over and over it just went right where I aimed. I was pressed for time and never tried to work the ball but what I saw really impressed me. It had a great flight as well. Started out low and climbed steadily. It seemed to come down sort of quickly and being wet it didnt roll out,, but it's a solid 220 yard club for me.

As for the shaft I used Matbys TT Score LT. THE shaft never missed a beat and did really well. For such a cheap shaft it really works well.b24f5f9018155702d96eabef2d22932a.jpg39701489ad94c672e38029ed29759869.jpg32ffbf8bca548574d4c7cdf6b2650d50.jpg8647e17512a9d45cca8f1c5272e1b098.jpg

Purchased the previous generation on closeout with a Kuro Kage shaft - it's a gem, very underated. Really opened my eyes to the quality of the Maltby heads.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Purchased the previous generation on closeout with a Kuro Kage shaft - it's a gem, very underated. Really opened my eyes to the quality of the Maltby heads.

I have those as well and and the feel/sound are wonderful. Very crisp and great feedback. I was disappointed to see them discontinued but the TC's sound like a worthy replacement.

A look at data for when I really got after it shows it gets a little spiny. It took off like a missile but sort of flared. This was repeatable. But the data does show how high the ball speeds can get off this club. a522d9095e465d53382cd29c0e2649d4.jpg

My guess would be the added spin when you went after it is probably a product of the shaft you have in it and not the head.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Weight sorted and they will even measure loft or bend irons for you.

The HDI just did not sell well because they didnt quite fit the newer style utilities. I loved them but it got blown away but the Tour TC. I just have to get used to the new look. But performance usually over rides any aesthetics for me. I look forward to doing some long term testing with this and other lofts in the Tour TC.

Disappointing to hear they wont update the HDIs.

Always been a fan of Maltby clubs. Only company in America you can order components directly without being a fitter. Apparently you can get weight sorted heads for iron sets as well if requested.

It looks like a sleeker/updated version of the KE4 tour hybrid....at least the footprint looks similar. Can you comment on face height....always hard to tell with the pics....the tour was uber deep which I liked, this looks more middle of the road. And kudos.tonthem for making a weight screw that you can use a regular driver wrench head on with the torx bit....there other weights with the three prongs and triangular were both horrible imo, especially the three pronged!

It looks like a sleeker/updated version of the KE4 tour hybrid....at least the footprint looks similar. Can you comment on face height....always hard to tell with the pics....the tour was uber deep which I liked, this looks more middle of the road. And kudos.tonthem for making a weight screw that you can use a regular driver wrench head on with the torx bit....there other weights with the three prongs and triangular were both horrible imo, especially the three pronged!
The face height is not overly tall. Optically looking down with the back side scalloped out it looks bigger than it is. Framed by the ball it's as it should be. I'll get some pics compared the the HDI which has a shallow face height.

The face height is not overly tall. Optically looking down with the back side scalloped out it looks bigger than it is. Framed by the ball it's as it should be. I'll get some pics compared the the HDI which has a shallow face height.

I was going to ask if the back was scooped out or if it was just a light trick. Thanks for confirming.

Was concentrating on iron testing today but did hit the Tour TC a few times. Its proving to be very easy to hit. Seeing a great flight and it lands fairly soft.

Size wise to me it's big because I had grown used to the HDI but several players in the group i cruised past remarked at how compact it looked. So i guess its relative.

Looks good behind the ball though.f40fe4f38d5da7196b28acfe1657a9fd.jpg546eac8ce273a217e310f22e336e65e1.jpg

Love the KE4 Tour and HDI....I will have to try 1 of these.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I used to play both the HDI and the original KE4 Tour. The KE4 Tour was a phenomenal hybrid. Wasn't very long but was so consistent and easy to hit. No left tendencies at all. Like a dummy I got rid of it chasing distance instead of realizing it was excellent for what it was intended. I saw Golfworks released the updated version and was on the fence about trying them. You just pushed me over the edge :taunt:

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I used to play both the HDI and the original KE4 Tour. The KE4 Tour was a phenomenal hybrid. Wasn't very long but was so consistent and easy to hit. No left tendencies at all. Like a dummy I got rid of it chasing distance instead of realizing it was excellent for what it was intended. I saw Golfworks released the updated version and was on the fence about trying them. You just pushed me over the edge :taunt:

The KE4 Tours are exceptional. Although unlike you I don't find them any shorter than any other hybrid I've used. And I agree with you regarding the left tendencies. Not necessarily hook proof but when they do they don't leave you wondering what happened. You gotta put a bad move on it for that outcome. I don't see them going anywhere but that said I'll probably try these new ones.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Shot of the day. Par 5, second shot I'm left with an uphill 227 shot. It's in some fairly fluffy rough as it was just off the fairway. Grabbed the 4 Tour Tc and hit the slightest hint of a draw,, to pin high, 9' away. Missed the damn eagle putt by an inch. Love this club, even with the Score shaft.14667a22f8810807833357745afa6d31.jpg

I had my 1st eagle putt in years today as well. I was 216 out and hit my 19* KE4 Tour to the back fringe. I missed the putt back a tap in birdie is always nice.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

Was concentrating on iron testing today but did hit the Tour TC a few times. Its proving to be very easy to hit. Seeing a great flight and it lands fairly soft.

Size wise to me it's big because I had grown used to the HDI but several players in the group i cruised past remarked at how compact it looked. So i guess its relative.

Looks good behind the ball though.f40fe4f38d5da7196b28acfe1657a9fd.jpg546eac8ce273a217e310f22e336e65e1.jpg

these appear a lot more square than my KE4 Tour

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

these appear a lot more square than my KE4 Tour

They do sit pretty square. Dont really seem to have much offset. I have been setting them perpendicular to the target line and they go right where you aim them. The one bad shot I hit i tried to kill one and its was only a fade that ran to the edge of the fairway. Other than that it has been an easy club to hit.

Only company in America you can order components directly without being a fitter. Apparently you can get weight sorted heads for iron sets as well if requested.

What about Hireko?

I love my Dynacraft wedges....and their driving iron is terrific too - doesn't get anywhere near the love it deserves. It's the 'can't control the driver slice today' godsend in my bag.

There are also other options like Diamond Tour (a bit cloney, I've just placed an order for some bits and pieces from them, but can't speak to the quality yet) and Valuegolf too - they both sell direct to public, not just fitters. Monark as well, which has a pretty broad range of stuff ranging from crappy clones all the way out to some decent smaller brands.

Only company in America you can order components directly without being a fitter. Apparently you can get weight sorted heads for iron sets as well if requested.

What about Hireko?

I love my Dynacraft wedges....and their driving iron is terrific too - doesn't get anywhere near the love it deserves. It's the 'can't control the driver slice today' godsend in my bag.

There are also other options like Diamond Tour (a bit cloney, I've just placed an order for some bits and pieces from them, but can't speak to the quality yet) and Valuegolf too - they both sell direct to public, not just fitters. Monark as well, which has a pretty broad range of stuff ranging from crappy clones all the way out to some decent smaller brands.

Diamond Tour golf seems to have mostly clone products, but I recently purchased an armbar putter and some of the chrome mist wedges and the putter looks like an Odyssey #7 and the wedges have a very clean and non-clone look to them.

I just can't get behind a clone company. That lazy work ethic. Just does not appeal to me.

What about Hireko?

Diamond Tour golf seems to have mostly clone products, but I recently purchased an armbar putter and some of the chrome mist wedges and the putter looks like an Odyssey #7 and the wedges have a very clean and non-clone look to them.

I just can't get behind a clone company. That lazy work ethic. Just does not appeal to me.

What about Hireko?

Still - Hireko? Valuegolf?

Not clones. Sell direct to public...

Finally got to try out my 17* today at the range. Like I mentioned before, I played the previous version and it was a great hybrid. Really easy to hit straight and pretty high launching. But it did feel a little "tinny". Like a dummy I sold it thinking there were longer hybrids but that was a big mistake. The one thing I wished was that the original came in 17* and I was excited to see it finally was.

The new version keeps the ease of use but then adds another layer in the feel department. My first shot I was like "wow". Just like Popeye mentioned just a solid "twack" and the ball just takes off the face. Really easy to hit and at least on the range really straight. Takes a lot of work to hit big curves which is perfect for me. Just shot after shot was online and it's REALLY forgiving. I hit a few off the toe and lost very little distance. I can't wait to get this out on the course.

I'm also impressed with the DG105 shaft. I debated about which shaft to use (SteelFiber or Recoil) but I've been thinking of reshafting my irons with DG105s since the normal weight is starting to get heavy late in the round. So I figured I'd experiment with it. The feel and weight makes it feel much heavier and they feel just like DG to me. Really good feeling shaft. Definitely better feeling than the old DGSL. I'm not sold on it in this head as the 17* may be a little low launching but for my 745s they will be perfect.

Maltby PTM-5

Finally got to try out my 17* today at the range. Like I mentioned before, I played the previous version and it was a great hybrid. Really easy to hit straight and pretty high launching. But it did feel a little "tinny". Like a dummy I sold it thinking there were longer hybrids but that was a big mistake. The one thing I wished was that the original came in 17* and I was excited to see it finally was.

The new version keeps the ease of use but then adds another layer in the feel department. My first shot I was like "wow". Just like Popeye mentioned just a solid "twack" and the ball just takes off the face. Really easy to hit and at least on the range really straight. Takes a lot of work to hit big curves which is perfect for me. Just shot after shot was online and it's REALLY forgiving. I hit a few off the toe and lost very little distance. I can't wait to get this out on the course.

I'm also impressed with the DG105 shaft. I debated about which shaft to use (SteelFiber or Recoil) but I've been thinking of reshafting my irons with DG105s since the normal weight is starting to get heavy late in the round. So I figured I'd experiment with it. The feel and weight makes it feel much heavier and they feel just like DG to me. Really good feeling shaft. Definitely better feeling than the old DGSL. I'm not sold on it in this head as the 17* may be a little low launching but for my 745s they will be perfect.

That must be a missile at 17°. How long did you build it? And what did you trim it as for a head,, 2 iron?

That must be a missile at 17°. How long did you build it? And what did you trim it as for a head,, 2 iron?

It's 40". Yeah, it's a rocket. Still gets up pretty easy. Great for off the tee but the good thing is I can still hit it high if I want.

I read one site that said the DG105 was a little weaker in flex and I wasn't sure if the .370 played weaker than the .355 version like the normal weight DG. So I trimmed it .5" more, same as a 3I. If I were do it over, I would probably just leave it untipped.

Maltby PTM-5

Popeye, is the 220yds on course what you would normally expect from a 22* utility? What length did you build it to with the Score shaft?

Thanks!

I never saw this question. For a 22 utility its about what i would see. I built it the length of a 4 iron with graphite shaft, 39". 220 is getting after it. A more relaxed swing is in the 212 range. the 220 is hit with a baby draw. I tend to like the 22* club because its fairly versatile in the distance category yet still land softly.

• 8 months later...